/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

small brain edition

Attached: 16482566289177-shutterstock-44451964.png (800x1000, 643K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/
digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-count-number-folders-and-files-inside-folder
nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.html
forums.windowssecrets.com/showthread.php/144625-Any-Windows-tool-to-give-me-a-file-count-in-a-folder-including-subfolders
gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/
danbooru.donmai.us.
noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me
noctua.at/en/products/overview-noctua-product-lines
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i have a number of links on a page and when i they're clicked on i want them to stay highlighted, but I want only one element from their class to be highlighted at a time (so that if one is highlighted, it goes back to normal when another is clicked)
how do i do this in CSS?

Can I use this to charge my phone?

Attached: IMG_20180817_184401.jpg (2340x4160, 2.61M)

I don't use css since.... 8, 10 years? but i remember that you should use javascript for that

it should be between 500 mA and 1.5 A

>Set Windows Firewall to block all connections from computer XY
>go to computer XY and ping XX
>ping works
>think it's working because icmp is probably not included
>telnet XX 445
>Connected to computer XX, escape character is '^]'
Why the fuck, Windows.
The custom rule is supposed to block all ports from all programs and services. I can't even block a computer from my local network? I have killed and started the Windows Firewall service but it just won't work.

is Telegram /ourguy/?

Attached: t_logo.png (236x236, 12K)

I'm tied to windows and I want to kill myself.
I have smaller folders inside medium folders in bigger folders. I want to know how many medium folders are inside each bigger folder, without knowing how many small folders are there. Is there a way to know this?

rec linux for the smol brained

I'm using windows 10 LTSB. Is there any way of activating night mode here? I just don't see the option

Attached: 1506704843681.png (870x729, 16K)

>open big folder
>ctrl+a
>look at status bar for number of selected items
is this what you want?

Just got a new computer and it came with Windows 10 which I've never used before. Is there an up to date guide on how to remove most of the "spyware?"

The visual mode of winDIRstat might be useful.

SSD started showing this error in HD Tune. I tried switching my cables, and switching my harddrives around, but error is still there.
Does this mean my SSD is failing, or is the SSD's connection contacts just faulty?

Attached: 1519438241432.png (565x506, 45K)

From OPs first link

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/

Also you can set telemetry to minimum on enterprise versions, but that disables updates.

Yes. I just don't want to do that for 1800 big folders.
>why are there so many?
The person in charge of computers on the other side is stupid.

Do non-rechargeable batteries have any advantage over rechargeable ones?

current windows 10 ltsb version is 1607. night mode was introduced later. there is no night mode in 1607.
if you wanted feature updates you shouldn't be using ltsb.

i don't know of any way to display that information more easily in windows explorer (i honestly never needed such an option, so i never looked). maybe a visual representation of the folders like windirstat or some other file explorer like total commander will help you.
you can also try the powershell commands mentioned here
digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-count-number-folders-and-files-inside-folder

after googling around i found this software, which seems to have the option to only count the first level of subfolders, which is what you want.
nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.html
i only know the dev from a password utility for firefox (which worked fine), i can't vouch for the linked software in particular.

no

Is there any way I can install it without upgrading windows? I'm happy with this version without cortana and all the other stuff

how can i automatically mount other drives on my system in manjaro linux?

I have a system ssd and an extra drive. when i visit the extra hard drive i need to enter my sudo password over and over, how to fix this.

brainlet here
what programming language should i learn first so i can actually do something fun without getting bored/losing motivation
I know some very basic c++, php etc.

Attached: DjMY1DkXsAA9wSA.png (1300x1824, 3.22M)

i'm pretty sure you'll have to wait for the next ltsb feature update (they get released every 2 to 3 years, last one was in 2016) or look for a third party alternative (f.lux maybe?).

i forgot to link the thread where i found the nirsoft program:
forums.windowssecrets.com/showthread.php/144625-Any-Windows-tool-to-give-me-a-file-count-in-a-folder-including-subfolders
there are some other programs recommended as well, might be worth checking out.

nah

+ they developed their own encryption methods which is not the best thing to do. they should've just implemented Signal.

Attached: telegramlic.png (344x51, 4K)

linux mint or ubuntu.

a little js (to add/remove a class), but it's mostly css

I have a hard time understanding your question. So are the people itt but they're too lazy to type it on their botnetphone I guess. Please be more precise.

Much thanks.

Is there anything that isn't google/apple botnet that can sync podcasts between phone and PC?

no, stop shilling

it's pretty easy to get most of my friends on and doesn't drain battery like faceberg messenger, so yeah, as far as that goes.

Is a p4 still usable nowadays?

Anyone know what these screw holes are for? Lian Li are about as helpful as a bag of shit.

Attached: a77f02.jpg (759x1024, 211K)

Is 12GB of RAM okay or is it worth going for 16GB

is lineageos worth it? if so is there a xiaomi model that i could install lineageos on and that is smol? preferbly with decent enough camera that i could use to take photos of documents.

Attached: 1528755681644.jpg (1080x1350, 61K)

Can you still get decompression sickness if you have a 0% nitrogen mix? Let's say you just replaced all the nitrogen with helium.

If I wanted to create a webm from a part of a mkv file using ffmpeg, would it be possible to do it all at once? trimming the part and encoding it directly with a single command I mean.

hard to say without exact measurments but I'm guessing a water cooler radiator

man fstab

Is HDMI over Cat a meme? Every extender I find has shaky reviews and they're hella expensive as well.

>is it worth going for 16GB
Not at todays prices. 8 is fine for most situations. Even if your browser goes full burger mode 12 should still be good unless you know you're running some niche program that needs more.

what linux distro for brainlet that can't let go of windows 7?
webm for retards does it, so yes.

Ubuntu, Linux mint, if you want arch then antergos, KDE neon, Ubuntu mate (derivative), distrowatch.com

Attached: images(3).jpg (230x219, 8K)

visual? you mean graphical?

Wouldn't go older than a core2duo for everyday shitposting.

It is pretty sweet, although most people get on fine with vanilla android. What country you in?

Probably. HDMI is hella picky under the best of circumstances. Most 10 foot cables are unreliable as hell.

have you tried actually using python first? try learning from le basics

Any tips on how to get into networking with Python? I have no idea on where to start. I tried using socket but I feel like it's too low level to be practical for basic scripts

I mean the way it displays all your shit as selectable colored boxes.

I use a pentium D and its fine. Just with freebsd and fvwm though

I know the basics, yes

I do actually have problems booting. After windows has finished loading, the PC is strangely sluggish and I can't do anything except wait for a while. If I try to run anything it will practically freeze the PC. At worst it will crash (sometimes on its own) and give me a disk read error, but I figured that it was related to my antivirus because it's a resource hog and loads a bunch of shit on startup, or one of my RAM slots might be faulty. I can't actually boot from USB because like I said the ports will recognise devices but lose them immediatly and get stuck reconnecting over and over again. I guess I should try booting after unplugging the cable going to the front USB ports.

This is an old shitbox so worst case scenario is everything is broken, I already solved a disk read error by changing my disk drive cable to a new one and inserting it to a different slot.

Congratulations on your enormous epeen. For most users trying to have a good experience with a modern browser, I would say the advice holds.

I'm working as a back-end dev for a large SF based advertiser like everyone else nowadays. It's a pretty boring job in the end and the ad industry doesn't really intrigue me that much. How can I do the jump from my current job into programming stuff like controllers for large ships or airplanes? Also robotics interest me. I have a master's degree from compsci, studied mostly algorithms, machine learning and data science.

foobar's replaygain scanner is set at 89dB by default. is there any reason to change that to a higher or lower value?

It's tiny though, the gap between each pair of vertical holes is only 15mm. And between the top holes and bottom holes (the vents) is only 130mm.

Is there any point in running a vpn if youre on windows 10? Beyond that is there any reason to pay for a vpn when so many free ones do the exact same thing? Assuming youre not downloading or uploading larger amounts of data.

Attached: 1503181926893.jpg (234x228, 44K)

Free VPNs sell your data, but Windows 10 does too so ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

>vpn
>so many free ones
What?

so its pointless to have a vpn in general or just a free one?
what?

The free ones are malicious as fuck. Also don't use vpns for privacy

gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

ffmpeg -ss xx:xx -to yy:yy -i input.video -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -qmax 50 -an output.webm
-ss ... time code when to start encoding the original footage
-to ... time code when to stop encoding
The rest is bare bones options for encoding a VP8 webm without audio.
If you want to specify the duration instead of the end time code, use -t xx after the input.

Use one of the big names. Ubuntu (or one of its flavours), Debian, Fedora or OpenSUSE. Test them in a VM and go with whatever you are most comfortable with.

Why can't I wrap my head around using beaker browser? I'm just not sure why I need it, but it feels like I really, really, need it.

What's a good graphics card under a hundred dollars to pair with a core 2 quad?

My windows.old just disappeared, how is that even possible?

Attached: anger 8.jpg (300x169, 30K)

I just bought a NetGear CM500 and N600. I haven't done much with a modem or router, but is there any good security things to configure on the devices?

It was marked for deletion (old).

Windows deletes it after a while

fuck, my win 7 on my doubleboot pc writes error "bootmgr is missing" and fails to load
anyone encountered it

some programs such as ccleaner will remove this folder

Usually only sticks around for a month, depending on what created it.

Living and learning I guess, I lost a fuckton of old pictures and screenshots of games that aren't even online anymore.
It was from when I upgraded my xp to seven a few years ago, now I REALLY need to format my main drive and was trying to find it to back it up in another drive. This very year the damn thing was still there.

Attached: 1505765022640.jpg (540x876, 62K)

Well friends, nearly finished installing Arch for the first time. However, I think my UEFI doesn't work as is. Machine is Thinkpad X230.

1. Made partition ~550MB, formatted as EFI.
2. Grub, efivar and efibootmgr are installed.
After I installed, it said that EFI variables are not supported on my system. After running modprobe in root it says that Module efivars is not found in directory.
What do I do?

Attached: Arch-linux-logo.png (2000x1499, 117K)

Is the other boot windows or linux?

what are some red flags to look out for when searching for a PC repair/service center?

Alright so I have my pfsense router but I dont have any wifi. Is there a way to get a pci-e 2.4ghz/5ghz card?

Bump

Am I a brainlet or is transfering files over a local network actually kind of difficult? I tried solving the problem for like 40 minutes before giving up and using an external drive.

is there an alternative to the taskbar, star and explorer in windows? it just looks like shit

Nah, windows to windows it's pretty easy.

howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/

guys my brother threw away my flashdrive that had some files on it like bank info & others things like drawing request dating back about six years is there ANY way to recover those files without the USB drive itself?

when I asked him about it he said "lol just buy another one bro"

>being so completely tech illiterate that you toss someone else's stuff with no regard for what it is never mind the fact I had personal files on the thing

Attached: USB Flash Drive.png (1000x1000, 95K)

You might have a list somewhere of the NAMES of some of those files, but unless you had a copy of them saved to one of your remaining drives in the very recent past, there ain't jack you can do about it. If files just randomly existed on drives other than the ones you saved them to, that would be a huge security risk. Even document editors save the partial file's you're working on to the same drive.

750ti

Check your bios for uefi settings, preferably turn on legacy bios and use mbr

No. Obviously

i deleted all the windows recovery partitions and shit
i now only have the data partitions and cant boot from them
what do i do

This one takes the cake on stupidity, but I'm a college student and have a budget of about $425 to spend on a laptop. So, I'm trying to find one online and get the most bang for my buck.
I need something that's fast and can handle heavy multitasking.. but at this price point, I know I can't get a quality SSD laptop out the box so I'll probably settle for HDD. My questions to you guys:
-Is intel optane worth it? Or is it just hype?
-Is this laptop a good choice or can I do better?
walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-ideapad-330s-15-6-Laptop-Windows-10-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-Quad-Core-processor-20GB-4GB-16GB-Intel-Optane-Total-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Midnight-Bl/444500759
^ I was thinking of removing the Optane and adding an M.2 SSD
Any thoughts or advice appreciated

>windows recovery partitions and shit
How many partitions are there now? Should be at least 2. Is your system uefi/gpt? At least 3.

there are 3, win7, win10 and other data
0(none) other hidden ones because i deleted them like a retard thinking grub would werk

i have a gif on a tab that i forgot to save. the link is dead by now but the gif is still cached in browser's memory but when i try to save it to disk, it fails. how can i extract the file?

I'll assume by "other data" you mean a large partition you store shit on. Why do you have grub when you don't have any linux installed?

i do have ubuntu, it's just on a hard drive as opposed to the windows on ssd
trying the win7 install cd doesnt do shit, "windows version needs to be the same as installed windows version", "partition is of the gpt style, fuck you no install"
i'm such a fucking retard

about:cache?storage=memory

If I am going be replacing the fans when I buy a new heatsink with those new Noctua fans what is my best option?

>What country you in?
i'm yuropoor and currently looking at redmi 5a. it seems that there's a dedicated xiaomi site just for europe and they seem to create custom roms with support of xiaomi themselves. if i'm not mistaken, you can flash the newest version of android 5a.

Attached: 1518981098377.png (1068x1350, 1.38M)

i'm getting a secure connection failed error on danbooru.donmai.us. isitdownrightnow says it is not down.
is my isp blocking sites or is there some other problem here?
curl gave me this:
curl: (35) OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to danbooru.donmai.us:443

what's the best way to format your HD? Is it worth using a program to back-up all the drives or should I install them all later?

Attached: 1517898847632.jpg (397x398, 22K)

as i said it fails to save. it pointsto some 2,5KB of data which is way too small for the said gif

Well I guess you're fucked, then.

>Noctua fans what is my best option?
Here, open wide.
noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me
noctua.at/en/products/overview-noctua-product-lines

Attached: spoon-feed.jpg (699x400, 31K)