The absolute state of Lunix

>Try to play a video in Firefox
>No hardware acceleration, CPU usage 100%
>Bug report open for 3 years: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210726
>Unassigned
Shit

>Try to play a video in Chromium
>Bug report open for 6 years: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=137247
>Status: WontFix
Shit

>Have to download a special build of Chromium from the AUR called chromium-vaapi
>Have to enable special settings in chrome://flags on that special build
>Finally get video acceleration
>Video is still not perfectly smooth and now I'm caught in Google's botnet

What the fuck? How can you use Linux like this when it's lacking such basic functionality? I know there's shit like youtube-dl but that doesn't cover every use case. The web browser is the thing everyone uses all day every day, and video playback is very common. How the fuck does Linux not have this yet? It's never going to be the year of the Linux desktop if they can't get this shit under control.

Attached: 1520387228753.jpg (447x456, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
bountysource.com/issues/55506502-add-va-api-hardware-decoding-support-on-linux
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17689
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How does this have anything to do with Linux? Using Linux doesn't prevent you from installing browsers like Chrome (I'm just going to assume that Chrome has hardware accelerated video playback; I wouldn't know).

Video acceleration in the browser works just fine on Windows. Nobody gives a shit on Linux.

It's your rig, bro

Yeah, I know. It's because this rig has Linux installed.

What is “video acceleration”, and why should I give a shit? First time hearing about this as someone who has used both Windows and Loonix. I have noticed no difference.

Video acceleration is short for hardware video acceleration. It means using the GPU to decode video instead of the CPU. It's faster and leaves the CPU free to do other things instead of slowing down the entire computer and making it unresponsive.

>using a browser to watch videos
It is embarrassing the way you choose to exist.

Attached: 1517371815491.jpg (115x125, 4K)

retard

Learn from your failure instead of being bitter.

Attached: 1522205757590.gif (217x217, 178K)

T. Boomer

Reminder that linux was stuck playing 360p for a long time on youtube.
It's still a shitshow.

>slowing down the entire computer
This never happens

this shit's exaggerated, noone cares
t. boomer

Depends on your hardware and the video. Try playing a 4K video with an older CPU and you'll definitely notice it.

I guarantee you it doesn’t actually exist and it’s just a placebo to trick useds into thinking they “need” “acceleration”

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1534539535602.png (709x980, 436K)

I guess i’ll give that a go next time I have an opportunity. Can’t say i’ve manually set anything to 4K, as I only have a 1080p monitor, but my ivybridge has no issues handling video in general

Welcome to the reality of Linux.

Sounds more like you have no idea what you're doing as opposed to this being Linux's fault. Just go back to Windows kid. You're just not cut out for this.

>he said, on a site where users can post videos

Attached: normal dinner.webm (480x270, 2.98M)

It does for me on my shitty laptop. The entire thing literally freezes up and goes to shit, and the video is a slideshow.

Actually it's GNOME/Linux, or just GNOME. GNOME is the OS and Linux is just a small part of that.

Even if your monitor is 1080p your CPU still has to decode 4K footage. It also depends on the codec being used. E.g. H.265 takes more resources to decode than H.264.

Keep digging.

>not using smtube + smplayer/mpv
>2018
how are you even breathing OP?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
its almost like you're too retarded to google the answer user...

>i have no idea what i'm doing so when i have a problem with something it therefore must logically follow that every single other user must have the same exact problem thereby rendering the product inferior:
>the post

what did he mean by this?

Attached: bone hurting juice.jpg (750x748, 62K)

>naming your video player after a shock-buttplug

He's not talking about general hardware decoding, but browsers not supporting it. The arch wiki also clearly states that FF doesn't support VAAPI, VDPAU or NVDEC and Chromium only supports VAAPI when using a special version (which OP claims doesn't work perfectly).

>thinking youtube is the only reason to ever play a video in your browser

What the fuck kind of hardware do you use OP?
FF works perf on my dedicated card on linux even with proprietary nvidia drivers.

Also my integrated intel laptop gpu has acceleration.
Are you using windows?

not my problem
who said I was playing anything in my browser?

I want to watch a video on youtube, okay lemme google how to hardware accelerate video playback first.
Absolute state of this...you know maybe this was exciting in the 90's

Prove that you're getting hardware acceleration on videos in Firefox. I'll wait.

Welcome to the shitshow that's GNU/Linux as Desktop OS user. You stay will be more or less fine unless you dare to make legit criticism of GNU/Linux. You probably experience strawman attacks, blaming the user, poisioning the well and many other types of fallacies and attacks. Please, stay away for LKML and other places like that. Should these indications be followed, you stay will be more or less fine.
Thanks!

The best thing that could happen to linux is some millionaire who doesn't like apple or microsoft taking an interest in developing a CLOSED source OS that isn't called a fucking DISTRO.

you are all pathetic incels at this point

So that explains why I can play 720p 60fps in mpv just fine but 480p stutters in Firefox constantly.

>CLOSED source
Great, you just killed the entire fucking point of it.

the point of linux is not to be open source, it's to fucking work.

I take that back, it's to be open source.

This is not Linux's fault. There's several APIs for getting video acceleration on both Intel, AMD and NVIDIA.

When Linux became stained with GNU shit it became contamined with their "philosophy"

It might not be Linux's fault, but it still significantly impacts Linux's usability and usefulness.

Why is it that these issues have been open for years? Surely it can't be that hard to implement when video players like mpv can do it just fine?

Attached: 1505913782574.jpg (338x384, 109K)

It does work though.
Why does the idea of removing spyware from our lives make you respond with such autistic screeching?

I was also curious as well and thought maybe it is because modern browsers are bloat
Unexpectedly actually it was that browsers aren't bloaty enough

if windows is attacked by spyware and adware is because there's billions of people using it.

Are you telling me that only being used by 15 people is a feature?

>but browsers not supporting it.
then that's not the OS' fault then, is it?

its clear the problem is with your browser, aso if you took the effort to install arch, the linux distro that works the least, then you should have the courtesy to also install working drivers instead of bitching and pinning the problem on the fucking kernel.

>removing spyware
Its there distros that doesn't use X.org in any form finally?

Windows IS the spyware you shill
How much does Microsoft pay you to be this dense?

And linux is worse than a spyware.

Many are defaulting to Wayland for GNOME installs. As KDE continues to develop support, those installs may be Wayland by default too.

>be me
>using comfy af 1000% /just werks/ debian with wayland
>see this fag make this statement
>mfw

Attached: luigideathstare-56a6ac515f9b58b7d0e43740.jpg (768x367, 33K)

>What the fuck? How can you use Linux like this when it's lacking such basic functionality?

you don't

Attached: 1534019081073.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

>then that's not the OS' fault then, is it?
No, definitely not. Problem is, it still counts as a reason against using Linux (if it's important to the user).

My 420 chinkpad also slows down and fan goes to 7k rpm and cpu to 90C cleaned it and changed thermal paste 3 days ago

>muh Linux
>muh chromium
>muh other meme OS

Face it, windows and iOS are the only feasiable operating systems because they have million dollar businesses supporting them unlike the meme OS that some brainlets use. You can even play a 1080p video on YouTube with Linux on a single chrome tab. Moreover, it's easy to get viruses. You guys are brainlets I swear.

>muh privacy

Who cares if you're not a terrorist, pedo, whistleblower?

Attached: IMG_1480.jpg (388x435, 62K)

bountysource.com/issues/55506502-add-va-api-hardware-decoding-support-on-linux
I guess the work isn't worth $400.

>be me
>instantly have better programs actually created with my OS in mind.

>Try to play a video in Firefox
Never had that happen to me on either 1090t, 2700x or Pentium 4.

1/10 made me respond, shit bait either way

Does they use xwayland?

Most Linux users are pedophiles especially the ones here.

>be you
>a niggercattle

Attached: Terry.gif (179x308, 1.82M)

That dance scares luminiscent federal dark skinned agents.

>Chromium
Play it in brave, it's fine. If you're not using Firefox then brave is your best option anyway.

and you think the iGPU on your ancient shitbook will have a better job at handling 4K video?

you know it.

Excellent post, Rajesh. Your continued support is noted and appreciated. 15INR have been deposited in your account.

I'm not watching 4k video. It works perfectly fine on Windows. Low CPU usage, completely smooth. On Linux it's a total shitshow.

user... Brave uses Chromium, so it suffers from the same issues.
Also fuck Chromium browsers for not having autoscroll on Linux.

>Depends on your hardware and the video. Try playing a 4K video with an older CPU and you'll definitely notice it.
Cool. Surely that matters on all the 4K consumer monitors everyone and their mother has.

Let's see some videos of that in your machine. This couldn't be just another worthless thread that amounts to nothing and leaves people wondering how incompetent can posters possibly be.

I get this with 1080p 60fps video

>you're just using it wrong
AHAHAHAH

>Brave uses Chromium
Except it performs significantly better than chromium which means that they probably do enable hardware acceleration as explained in OP
>Have to download a special build of Chromium from the AUR called chromium-vaapi
>Have to enable special settings in chrome://flags on that special build
>Finally get video acceleration

>not having autoscroll on Linux.
Why haven't they added this? What could possibly be an issue? Firefox had this for years on all systems.

>I am not willing to provide a feature that the vast majority of the human population make use of
>yet I still expect my choice of operating system to dominate the worldwide market share out of pure hatred of the software competing against my software of choice

It has the feature you need you just don't know what the fuck you're doing, and literally nobody expects that fucking normie get rrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Why haven't they added this? What could possibly be an issue? Firefox had this for years on all systems.
Reported 9 years ago bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17689
>WontFix
>Autoscroll is considered not standard Linux behavior, so nobody could possibly want it
>Middle mouse button is used for the clipboard so there's nothing we can do, sorry

>launch chromium (qutebrowser) with --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag
>it works
>tfw you're not a brainlet

>autoscroll
fuck you for reminding me that's a thing. now i need it.

>He doesn't know
>He thinks he's not a brainlet
People say that but ignoring the blacklist doesn't fix the problem user. It's a placebo effect. Check chrome://media-internals while something is playing to see if it's using the GPU decoder or not. Hint: It isn't.

Firefox has it :^)

I didn't know Tony Danza was a hacker.

so i have to pick between autoscroll or video playback?

Yes (no)

Who are retards like this allowed to exist? I dare you to play any 4k60 youtube video using any of the mobile pentiums.

>my mouse batteries are empty, must be that lienacks acting up again

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 55K)

it can, it's usually the rendering that's the problem, not the decoding. A gpu isn't just a GPU, it has a fuckton of chips designed for different things and one of those things is the multimedia engine. An ASIC dedicated solely decoding or encoding videos. Decoding performance should be exactly the same regardless of how powerful the shaders are. The only bottleneck would be how fast the disk and the RAM or VRAM can feed the frames to the multimedia engine. You might not notice it with your gaymur shit but it's an abdolute must for lower end systems and laptops where power efficiency is important. If you don' know basic shit like this, you should stop posting.

@67186895
hwdec produces low quality video than software decoding, stop trying to eat shit.

downscaling 4k to 1080p and throwing the pixels at the screen isn't that hard when you have a dedicated asic for decoding.

>literally nobody expects that
I don't disagree, but it's pretty hypocritical when you have anons shoving linux down the throats of everyone they find or jerking themselves off in year of the linux desktop threads on how much easier it is to use over windows and shit

@67190263

Attached: 1514317723203.png (800x480, 212K)

hwdec should produce an identical output to software decoding
It's what comes after the decoding in the pipeline the reason why people think hwdex is "low quality". Shit like converting your color spaces without you telling it but this rarely happens with modern hardware because all that post processing can be skipped. Don't be a retard. hwdec=vaapi is different from vo=vaapi

You confuse it with hardware accelerated encoding.

Attached: leastintelligentcomment.jpg.png.jpg (1190x906, 88K)

Sure, we shill it on Jow Forums, because it's pretty great. For non-brainlets. It's the short of shit we degenerate autistic freaks love. And with this being Jow Forums, you generally expect that to be your typical audience, not your aunt Gladys wondering why her "modem" won't turn on.

if it's using ffmpeg to decode, would it be possible to enable hardware decoding for ffmpeg instead as a workaround?

This. Linux is the perfect OS for high IQ people, autists, powerusers, and the types that like to *notice bulges*

Note that the above categories are not mutually exclusive.

Attached: 123037C5-7AF8-4B24-9993-9063FB019B22.png (500x510, 52K)