Alright. Long story short

Alright. Long story short.
>Be babbys first php developer and know just enough to get by to make some rudimentary site
>Be a libertarian ideologist and see all the censorship from third party organizations get more popular
>Decide it's a good idea to just make a site that allows people to post whatever bullshit they want
>People actually post a bit but very few actually go on
>Still working on it 3 years later
>I work on the site all the time, always making slow improvements from the back end
>Offer free advertising to people who have libertarian mindsets like Libertarian candidate running for NY governor Larry Sharpe
>Still can't get people to visit site
>No money, no way to really make it advertise

Fuck Jow Forums I'm just a fucking nerd man I gotta' figure out how to market this shit. Still though am always looking for Jow Forums's advice on how to make it better. Let me know what you think.

It's a fucking Friday night and all I wanna' do is sit down and program with my coffee blasting away at my keyboard.

1stamender.com

Attached: 1stamender-logo.jpg (800x800, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

domains.google.com/m/registrar/search?hl=en&searchTerm=firstamender
1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1351
1stamender.com/testing-elements.php
1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1354
discord.gg/tBQDNc
coolors.co/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Step one is a better fucking name.

Your SEO is gonna be fucked because there is no circumstance where someone searching for something is going to find your site:
>starts with a number
>is not an english word, even after the substiution of T or I in place of the 1
>Does not relate to libertarian thought
>Doesn't indicate the type of content I can expect on the site
>No clear indication how one is supposed to say the name out loud, ista-mender? 1 STAM-ender?

Either you need a snappy name that at least is searchable and can be read out loud (Google. Amazon. Facebook.) or you need a descriptive name (libertarianpress, libertaire, libertarian-news.com, whatever).

Point is, your name's fucked.

firstamender.com also works. it's the same thing.

What's with lolbertardians and autism? It's like they can't function out of their safe space.

also... the 1st Amendment is the right to freedom of the press. People refer to it as the free-speech amendment. 100% libertarian. When you are a supporter of the 1st amendment, you are a 1st Amender.

less shitpost more content please?

so.... medium.com but edgier?

The written word version is far better, OP.

As someone who stared at your domain for literally 3 minutes writing my post, I could not, for the life of me, figure out what the actual fuck the domain meant until I saw that post.

And even if you think I'm retarded or whatever for trying to figure out what the fuck a "Onestamander" was, I also simultaneously decided

>No reputable website I'm aware of starts with a number, so this site is probably bad news to even look at, I don't want viruses.

Which is also, as it did for me, possibly driving away a large portion of your readership

Here's the actual text of the first amendment:
>Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Notice the most important part, "Congress shall make no law". If a private company "censors" you, it's not a violation of the first amendment. Take a fucking government class.

You can have a number on a reputable website it is possible. People trust a site they see all the time. I am still working on it and post pictures like this all the time to increase the trust on the site with additional memes and shit.

Attached: boom-headshot.jpg (640x855, 199K)

No fucking shit I am aware of that. Quick question... does the telephone company cut off your services because of what you are talking about? No? I didn't think so. When you have a company as powerful as these social networking sites with the ability to silence opinion, there is something wrong there. Of course my 1st amendment rights don't pertain as it is a third party company. It still doesn't stop it from sucking ass and people need alternatives to post whatever BS they want.

Attached: 98000-bill.jpg (640x1067, 263K)

My point was that it's fucking retarded to call the site "1st amender" when clearly you're angry about corporate control in a late-stage capitalist society.

I'm angry that people don't respect liberty any more. People seem to gladly desire censorship of thought and tailored content. I'm not cool with that and I am willing to bet other people don't want that either. With time my site can become something and serve an example to the bigger companies. I'm puffing my chest out and saying "fuck it I'm diving in." I joined my local libertarian party and changed my party, made the site, spread libertarian principle, etc.

Attached: robbing-people.jpg (640x1020, 230K)

Most libertarians are all about the "free market" and aren't opposed to large corporate abuse.

Look, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm straight up telling you, with 100% honesty that a link where the first character is a number is hotly untouchable and I literally cannot force myself to click it.

I promise you that the name is hurting you and your site, full stop. I can't untrain that reflex, and although I can't prove this is a problem your users have besides me, I am certain this has cost you viewership in the past and will in the future.

Also: You have a site with a retention and advertising problem, saying stuff like
>People trust a site they see all the time
Isn't a problem you have: You already admitted no one's seeing your site, despite your memes. Part of this is an image and naming problem.

Since you don't seem to be doing it, I encourage you to just pick up firstamender.org, it looks fucking legit, people will find it easy to search for you and it's fucking 12 bucks a year through Google, at that price, you may as well buy it and redirect it to your main site, make two versions of all your memes, and A/B test whether I'm right.

domains.google.com/m/registrar/search?hl=en&searchTerm=firstamender

I mean... there isn't a lot visiting but there are people visiting. I dunno man maybe it is hurting. Honestly it's why I started a Patreon so I can start some advertising. I have noticed that if you are not in the USA the translation causes this issue for sure. This is the analytics I have for the course of a few days.

Attached: file.png (2959x611, 166K)

Net neutrality being revoked and using voip, it would technically be legal to censor based on content! It's not all just pipes anymore user. You should probably make a phone company too

thas just state sponsored b8

I have a google redirect to firstamender.com. The only issue I have is that it takes an extra step for it to reach the site and adds a few seconds to the load. That's mostly why I've been posting with 1stAmender.com instead of firstamender.com.

Besides... I have an SSL. Can you really not trust a site with a valid SSL?

it is 100% legal. I plan on keeping it that way too for the most part. I'm not against government deregulating. I do believe the market will make active decisions when there are companies doing something that is wrong. They will lose share and that is where I come in. Fuck these companies screwing over people silencing opinion. Full steam ahead I'm going to blast people with my political diatribe till I'm blue.

You know why people don't use "free speech" alternatives? Because that's where all the fringe nutjobs gather. See: voat which is just a cesspool of t_d, fatshamers, and incels. Free speech is nice and all, but nobody wants to hear nutjobs exercising their freedom of speech.

Nutjobs deserve their piece. Lots of people are nut jobs. It doesn't matter. People in general deserve a say. You don't have to click the fucking article. You can leave it be. So what is the issue? First the censorship starts with the crazies, then it has to progress to the heavily political. Then people of opposing political opinion, where does it end? Where do I take a stand and say "fuck you I'm doing things my way."

Not much you can do about that.

An SSL connection only means third parties aren't intercepting my connection to you, that's not my concern. My concern is THE ENDPOINT ITSELF is the danger. SSL doesn't do a damn thing to prevent your site from acting in a hostile fashion.

Your site has very low readership at the moment. You (besides the benefits of using your actual named domain!) should consider advertising in non-Jow Forums locations. You need to be finding current libertarian independent mouthpieces and sending a press pack to them; other people drive traffic TO you, you cannot drive it alone, user. Your goal is to mobilize others on your site's behalf.

And if that doesn't work, seriously, it's okay to cut your losses, you're 3 years deep and you probably learned a ton about webdev and libertarianism for the trying. It's not a net loss to move on to your next project.

I plan on blasting it forward though. It took facebook.com 10 years to take off and even then it wasn't that popular. Gaining popularity takes time. I do agree with your premise of getting people to mobilize. I don't know how to get people to do that. I guess I've been thinking of that a long time and really I feel like a lot of people have a more authoritarian agenda and most aren't interested in liberty. After talking to someone after a long period of time they eventually start to realize where I'm coming from and gradually slide to liberty. But that takes a long ass time for just one person! How do I get someone to promote a good cause when it takes months to realign to the ideology?

Man, you need to be serious with yourself. The first problem is the name, but you can't retain people who do visit the site. 10% returning visitors is abysmal. What your data shows is that a lot of people try out the site, look at it for 3 minutes, and say that they're done. The first thing that turns me off is the layout. I'm on mobile, but I viewed both in a desktop browser and a mobile browser. It's good you're making use of bootstrap libraries, but look up some style guides for websites. Have a list of straight links, not a group of squares. That really hurts my ability to navigate, because I can't quickly discern which link does what, I need to process it instead of just reading it. I don't know if that explanation makes sense, but the point is that you need to work on ability to navigate. Look at what more popular websites like Jow Forums, Reddit, ycombinator, etc do. They have a home page which shows off the most popular portions of the website. This home page is usually based off user data. Even if you have a little, make an educated guess. Your website is small enough that you can look at popular posts and pages by hand without needing to make a script. Try making a featured page by hand before you make a script. Even after clicking one of your squares, you have a pretty bad layout for each topic. The images with text underneath works well for Chans but your website is too different to be a chan. Focus on the users ability to navigate and usability of the site.

Also, like half of your links are broken. Focus on user functionality. Have friends and shit use it and see what it's downsides are. I want to like it, but it's just painful to use.

I think some of your points are very pessimistic. I'm at 10% returning visitors because right now I have very few people going to the site and a lot more checking it out. sometimes it would be well over 40% if new visitors don't show up. It's part of the growing site.

I can go ahead and start messing with the square links. I spent a bit of time wanting to make it look more in line with an amazon listing which shows the title, picture, and description. I liked the idea of the boxes so I put it on there. I mean I guess I could create a list type situation which is no problem.

Home page is already based on user data. No need to hard code anything.

Also the boxes on the front of the page are designed so its easy to click on one and go right to a page. The navbar is right there as well and works well for the most part. I may try to implement a more list-based approach with facebook and see if that hits. I do like my dark theme though. I plan on keeping it easy on the eye. Some other things I need to improve on is figuring out AJAX loading so when it reaches the bottom of scrolling that it makes more. I've played around with it and it is confusing to me at best... I need to practice with it more.

where are there broken links? I've scraped the site for broken links and replaced with default images.

I'm sorry I was so pessimistic, it was wrong of me. Overall I like the idea of the website, but rather than continuing work on the back end, maybe you should consider more work on the front end. I think you have a decent website so far, but you may need to take a look at what the goals and purpose of it are. You say amazon-esque post listing. That's an effective strategy for online marketplaces. Look at what websites with similar goals and purposes to yours do. Take what you like and think is effective, add what you want. Put yourself in the users shoes. Say to yourself "what do I want out of my website, what could help me more easily reach that goal". I think you have a decent product so far.

I went on technology, clicked a title which said "How to Hire the Best Mobile App Development Company to Fit Your Needs", and got a 504 error. Clicking any of the titles doesn't work

i tried opening it on my phone. i used firefox focus. not user friendly imo.

lwhat is 'Jow Forums'

sorry abut that. I was messing around with a module and it was running on the article.php page... My bad but it is working now:

1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1351

I know what they want. I'm just not a good enough coder to give it to them. They want infinite scrolling. Every website that has a ton of users has an infinite scrolling widget. I have to figure out how to make that a reality. When I figure that out I can implement it easily on the entire page and boom I will have a much lower bounce rate and very high retention count. I need to mess around with AJAX and how it works. I'm just not fully there yet.

I did get an AJAX plugin to work, but then it gets into: "How do I get it to type a different query 'on reach to bottom of page'" and it's not as easy at it sounds, at least not to me yet. I'll see what I can do...

>amerishart name
instantly dropped

How incredibly dismissive. I'm making this site so people have an option to be able to blog without being silenced. I find that to be extremely important and it would be easy to make more names and domains to link to the site.

>fucking call it something like pishposh.com/britsrule/

your site looks like shit. i dont understand how its possible to use bootstrap and have a site come out that poorly. also why does it take so fucking long to reload the landing page? It shouldn't take more than a second to reload a site that youve already been to. especially if you dont have any trackers. why are you reloading a new set of articles in seemingly random order? when i go to someones blog I want there to be a consistent structure or a way to enforce structure. i.e. sort by date, popularity, most discussion, whatever. ffs your landing page scrolls but doesnt offer any new content. make it one page without scrolling or redesign it. your landing page also moves too fast. dont put text over a fucking image. read a design book or just copy a popular sites design.
with that being said i do like how you have the option to post anonymously. you should leverage that and actually post comments on your site. the comments should be under different names so that your site looks more active. its tedious but if you want to build a community thats how you should start out.
do you have any ways of combating spam? i hope its not google captcha because that shit sucks. and this may be difficult for you and its probably not a priority but your site should function without javascript or at least without 3rd party javascript.
change your domain name. at no point will i ever do a search for 1stamender and stumble on your site. even if i tell a friend irl about your site, they will most likely forget or do a search for first amendment. will your site be there?
infinite scrolling sucks don't implement it. it makes it incredibly hard to share specific articles or to find specific articles. a better way would be to structure your site better. you've gotten a lot of good feedback from other anons and even if you don't consider mine you should at least consider theirs.

its a cool project despite how badly i'm shitting on it and its almost at a usable point.

you clearly didn't even go far enough to look at anything. I have an entire working comment system with the ability to add images to posts on the bottom of every article.

You can hate on infinite scrolling all you want but it is hands down one of the most addictive things about social networking sites. I NEED that.

Also: If you search 1stamender it will pull up my site.

Even with infinite scrolling articles are not hard to find. Every article has a unique ID making it entirely separate. It is easy to search for an article by simply typing in the search field at the top. It searches all contents of titles as well as tags. it will find the post you look for.

With some examples I just managed to get an infinite scroll. Though right now it's spewing out a few errors. Of course links aren't working as I don't have it pulling everything from the table properly. But the results are there and I can easily pull that.

Also right now it is set to load 8 articles every time it reaches the bottom of a page. For some reason though it spews out a '1' after every 8 articles and I don't know where that is coming from... I'll figure it out and I'll show you an example... will have to work on the CSS as well as it won't look pretty right now.

>babby
baby's

And stop using php.

it's an old ass meme before memes were called memes.

I've just been using PHP for a long time and I've heard so many people say shit about PHP yet they don't seem to have a viable site of their own with nearly as much complexity as mine. PHP works fine for me.

Please leave.

Okay so take a look, keep in mind the styling is far from working yet... but the infinite scroll appears to be working great.

ITT: op asks what is wrong with his site, ignores all advice

Because a lot of the shit that is being mentioned is hardly constructive in any way, doesn't understand what is happening, giving me advice on things that are already features on the site but they didn't even bother to browse the site for more than a minute to find the results they are looking for.

I am working on it and do take on suggestions very closely. I have messed with the design about 100 times now and nobody on Jow Forums is satisfied with anything despite any attempts at a design concept. Please look at:

That is where I am working right now and performing tests/redesigns to replace my current news generating (page-like) structure.

>ajax.googleapis.com
>google.com
>pushsquare.com
>maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com
no thx

The same damn tools on my site is on Jow Forums.

Attached: file.png (1256x861, 220K)

I block third party JS on 4chinz and site still works

I block third party JS on your site, breaks.

Big if true!

well how else do you auto-load content?

Who is Pandorumx5 he was useful... Posted this article:

1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1354

nice

Attached: file.png (1243x751, 218K)

Can somebody post a new discord link to the web dev chat? the link on the other one expired before I could use it

do you have that for firefox?

here is my web dev for 1stAmender: discord.gg/tBQDNc

Lol I still get a 500 server error when I click the exact link you sent to me.

I don't understand. I press f5 it loads. Ctrl+f5 it loads. what the heck.

thanks

Literally all of the big tech companies now received copious amounts of money from the government or were originally seeded by government agencies. Saying that free speech shouldn't be protected when these companies all are sucking the government teet and stealing taxpayer money is retarded just like saying ISPs shouldn't be regulated after we paid for a $400 billion bonus for those scumbags

>no anonymous posting
DROPPED

you make a damn user account. None of it asks for info from you.

Why have accounts at all? Personally, I would allow anonymous posting but block open proxies.

So each item posted can be associated with a unique identifier. It makes a personality possible and it's something most people want/are used to

don't put the title over the image jesus christ

Optional name field.

coolors.co/

generate a palette, ONLY use colors from that palette, e.g. no blue topbar + red links on hovering.

Holy crap, what a great website xD Even better than 4Chinz although I am not sure if you intended it to be for trolling or serious news? Either way, wouldn't it be nice if posting didn't require registration?

Look at the registration page. It is the most minimal registration ever and works very simply.

Does it have email registration? Anyways, even the simplest registrations are kind of pain. When I came to Jow Forums for the first time, it was really satisfactory to not have to make an account to post. What's the purpose of registration on your website?

No email registrations.

I wanted to write email verification haha. Although the login form requires your email. You didn't answer my second question on why you even have a registration process?

Was shitpost.org taken?

Really though, I think instead of creating yet another board for user free for all, making existing platforms more resistant to censoring would be more beneficial. Mirroring or something like that.

Like is there an easy way to mirror a site or Twitter account so they can't censor it? Like for normies to just click a couple things and voila - censor-proofed. That tech is needed.

So all 3 of your statements make no sense.

There is no email verification.
The login form does not require your email.
I have a registration process because people want to be linked to their work. People spend a lot of damn time on a single article and most people want credit where credit is due. You also get a good idea of what it is they like to write about, so if the person is a socialist, safe to say their content will be socialist. It just makes sense to make individual users responsible for their own content.

"3 years" kek gtfo, no way 3 years and this is it lmao

I'm cool with that, you could also implement a simple tripcode system, no login needed

blue (that blue at least) and gray don't go well together
try different fonts

I'm stupid, I wrote login form instead of registration form... Kms

so what color is okay with you user. Just curious.

A lot of time was spent getting content and posting it. A lot of it was spent trying to promote it (unsuccessfully) A lot of it was spent trying to refine the site and fix bugs/add features. There is a lot there you do not account for.

The registration form still does not require any email.

Oh right, I can't read, excuse me then...

sorry bro. the fundamental of the site uses a registered user account to manage own articles.

right if banks form a coalition and ban people from making bank accounts because of "wrongthink" that's perfectly okay lol
Thankfully I'm neither a dumbass libertarian or a sleazy pinko so I'm fine with government putting a stop to this bullshit.

the site looks just really unprofesional.
that's the truth man
coming from a guy that spends his life coding.
nothing you can't fix, just make it look clean asf. no excuses if you want success

GL

I'm trying. With time I will get it nicer and nicer looking.

ssh user, I'm talking about sites that haven't been around since literally before the Iraq war.

i did look through the site thats why i wrote out the wall of text. im not dissing the comment system if you read my post instead of just skim it, the comment system is one of the few things that i liked.
i'm not going to bother talking about the name since you dont think its a problem. and when i said that " at no point will i ever do a search for 1stamender and stumble on your site" i meant that i will never naturally land on your site. I would have to know about your site and actively look for it. you have google analytics so use it. where are your users coming from. read up on seo (don't know if things have changed since the last time i was doing webdev but if not this is where you should do it).
your test site is way better than your landing page but you started from a dogshit layout so it was kinda hard not to make it better.
I still don't understand why your landing page takes so fucking long to load. are you actually forcing your site to delay for 5 seconds each time. even with third party scripts disabled it still takes an unreasonably long time. your other pages are fine loading wise.

you should read up on seo and you should definitely read a design book (the ones by jon duckett are pretty good). designing shit is hard and can be unintuitive at times. its different from programming and thats why its so hard finding a person that can do both. you dont have to be the best designer but there are a couple of tricks you can use to make the user experience better. this is an easy one to implement
there is also a server not responding warning on your infinite scrolling test site. when you load a bunch of article segments and then refresh. it doesnt prevent the refresh from working you just get an alert.

Isn't this how reddit started?

pretty much. the community was tiny but I think it gained popularity when a popular networking site went down one day for a bit... it was enough to take off the site. They faked it till they made it which is really inspiring.