/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Does the Golden Throne run free software?

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: space marine tux.png (256x256, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tridactyl-vim/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimium-ff/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vim-vixen/
vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_and_replace
packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome
freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#shutdowncompleteseventually
ptpb.pw
ptpb.pw'
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/98ctgu/ubuntu_server_including_ads_in_the_terminal/
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for zram

Alright, I'm jumping into learning vim. Which one of these firefox addons best emulates it for keyboard navigation?

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tridactyl-vim/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimium-ff/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vim-vixen/

Also, what would you recommend reading to learn vim? Must have plugins? I tried something called vim adventure and it was pretty good, but they're asking a $25 licensing fee to use it all.

Attached: 605px-Vimlogo.svg.png (605x606, 50K)

I decided to try out OpenSuSE tumbleweed in a VM but every couple of boots it seems to hang during startup and I need to restore from a previous snapshot to get it working again. This even happens if I don't install any updates.

Is this normal?

Have you considered qutebrowser?

>vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_and_replace
>., *, \, [, ^, and $ are metacharacters.
>+, ?, |, &, {, (, and ) must be escaped to use their special function.
Can I make the metacharacters also require escaping?

my touchpad randomly started to only scroll up and down instead of moving the cursor... i'm on arch, does anyone know what could be wrong?

$ vim-tutor is all you need.

Good luck user, with persistence, you will discover a great editor. I started using vim a year ago and I will never go back.

A lot of people seem to like Kubuntu for its KDE Plasma interface.
It does look pretty nice, but I think I actually prefer Fedora's Workstation GNOME interface. Very tidy and minimal and responsive and I can just press the Windows key and bring the apps up in boxes like you can in Android and easy add and take from the UI. Its a nice balance and on my Win 2 I often find myself happily tapping on the screen to do stuff with the mouse whilst my switch is set to controller for setting up games, and then flicking the switch back to mouse mode and using the mini keyboard for desktop stuff.
KDE on these chinese devices seems to suffer massively from tearing and flickering also.

1. Is there any difference between installing a DE (in this case GNOME) during a netinstall rather than installing it afterwards? I've heard that it's recommended to do it afterwards since you can update the repos and get the newest possible versions but I'm more interested in if there are any differences in included software etc.

I've decided to go "balls deep" with Debian or perhaps MX to avoid systemd and when I installed GNOME under MX (default DE is XFCE) nothing besides the DE itself was installed as far as I can tell. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if there is any additional software included at all when installing GNOME? The regular installation media for Debian contains a bunch of shit like Thai support for the terminal, Chess and other junk I'll never use and I'd prefer having a clean install and manually adding whatever I want but perhaps they force certain things (Nautilus/Files for instance) ?

2. Could someone please give me the short version of why systemd is bad? Everyone seems to hate it but I'm not sure if it's a meme or if it really is horrible. The only negative aspect I've encountered is that it takes several minutes to shut down the PC which sucks although I guess it's not that big of a problem since I rarely reboot/shut down.

Attached: scarface_gnome__85220.1403281202.600.600.jpg (400x400, 17K)

1. If you install the big metapackage: no, the netinstall would install that too. If you want to just install parts of the metapackage, then yes there are differences.
> I've heard that it's recommended to do it afterwards since you can update the repos and get the newest possible versions
Doesn't apply for netinstalls since they dl the latest shit anyway.
For debian, even if you use the normal install cd/dvd and set up network mirrors during the installation they download updates too (at least security ones).
2. fuck off, we don't need another systemd shitfest thread

That's the GNU/Linux experience.

This is a weird issue that happens on Macbooks (on Void, at least).
Usually it seems to be some issue with usbmouse or some other module grabbing the input before your synaptics/mtrack driver does.

I would do a search on the Void forums for "Macbook touchpad" and check out some of the solutions. It's usually just a simple adjustment of kernel modules (1 or 2 commands) or changing stuff in xorg.conf.d

Yeah, sorry for the stupidity, I guess it only applies to minimal installations from official media. Is it possible to select which items to be installed or do you mean configuring it yourself with the bare DE as base? According to this article everything is forced when installing the "metapackage": packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome

Perhaps it would be easier to do a netinstall, get the DE itself and then add the software I'd like but I'm a bit worried that I'll have to install basic stuff like drivers for audio, X etc. but perhaps these are installed by default regardless of which DE you choose and/or if you do a minimal netinstall vs. official iso.

Is Debian Unstable stable?

extremely rarely it has some regressions. Also sometimes the distribution is incomplete because one package was upgraded while the 20 depending on it are not yet. In this case, you have to wait till next day with that apt dist-upgrade.
Otherwise it's debian quality. Shit that makes to sid was already marked stable by its dev and was tested in debian experimental.

>addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimium-ff/
I use this. Tridactyl looks interesting, Ctrl+U/D on vim-vixen is retarded.

If you find yourself using a lot of vim plugins, you should probably learn emacs. vim makes a very fragile, labor intensive IDE. At least in my opinion. There are definitely people who get around with it.

Hi, so i bought t420s, painfully followed archwiki and installed arch. Its on the full ssd now, nothing after install yet, just tty, but i changed my mind and want debian testing, so i put it onto usb on another notebook and when i put it into the Pad, press F12 during boot, its now 20 minutes stuck at the “initializing intel boot agent” which took like few seconds yesterday when i booted from usb.
Nit sure what to do. And if i unnount it and boot to that plain arch, it also takes like 5 minutes before the grub menu appears. After that its fast

Ok now it showed the boot menu finally, but choosing USB just takes seconds and returns me back to menu, doesnt matter what usb port i use.
The drive is ok because on other win pc, it loads as debian install

Try disabling it in BIOS. At least my t400 has an option for something similar. Resetting BIOS settings also may help.

What's actually wrong with GNOME?

I don't know what GNOME is or does, sorry

>The only negative aspect I've encountered is that it takes several minutes to shut down the PC
This is a configuration issue. See freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#shutdowncompleteseventually

What's the best distro for Nvidia Optimus hardware? Am I best on a bleeding edge distro like Arch?

Trying to figure out how to use wget to post to some of the CLI pastebins like sprunge.us. Any ideas?
wget -O- --post-data "sprunge=hello" sprunge.us # doesn't work
What am I missing?

This never happens with arch. You might as well just use arch

Attached: 1534597393501.jpg (660x330, 57K)

for me it was;
SimplyMEPIS - Ubuntu - Debian - Gentoo - Arch

Ok, seems it actually works, just not with sprunge. Leaving this here for that one guy searching the archives in 5 years:

wget -qO- --post-data "c=hello" ptpb.pw
wget -qO- --post-data "f:1=hello" ix.io

alias pb='wget -qO- --post-data "c=$(cat -)" ptpb.pw'
alias pb='wget -qO- --post-data "f:1=$(cat -)" ix.io'

I used Mint for a week and then when I realized that it's just Debian with gloss I switched to it and stayed. Six years and counting.

Recently, I've been playing with Guix, but it seems like a meme.

Distros like GuixSD or NixOS are the future, there's no memeing.

I'd like to use Debian but Ubuntu just works for me.

Did you de-botnet it, at least?

Not even sure how.

Some things:

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations or {OptOut:true}
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com

>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest

>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
+ apt purge whoopsie

Thank you for this info :)

Do other distros use telemetry too or is it just an Ubuntu thing?

popularity contest is originally a debian thing, but debian and devuan ask your if you want to participate or not during the installation.

should I install devuan on my thinkpad?
been running gentoo for a while

Yes

I hate tux with a passion. Especially that dumb-cute normalfag pleasing retard tux.

> pacman never breaks

resource usage, nothing else
I used Ubuntu before browsing Jow Forums, got memed onto arch and it was good as fug until it broke and I got pissed because all my configs were just fine so I installed debian stable some weeks ago. Fuck testing or unstable, if I wanted more up to date packages I would use Ubuntu or MX Linux (not really sure this is more up to date since I read is based on debian stable lmao) or Alpine (though looks like has few packages), Ubuntu now seems like a pain in the ass on the long run compared to debian so I'm not sure, seems faster to install than debian (since with debian you have to install and reboot for wifi firmware that actually works), so I'll probably try a minimal install when I get a new laptop.

I'm using stable right now, I don't necessarily need more up to date packages, I also read security is better on stable since on sid you have vulnerabilities or bugs that are public by the dev that may or not be patched by the devs of either debian or the package itself. I won't get back to be a bleeding retard like on arch since summer is over, I have to actually study on college now, also is not like you learn something fixing random config files of applications I don't develop.

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100 mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.

Torvalds, Linus (1996-06-09). Post. comp.os.linux.announce newsgroup.

Pretty ass that the community accepts this shit.
First the Amazon crap, now telemetry.
Slowly widening the assholes of Linux users.
Next: DRM support, SSH Facebook login, grep amazon results

GNU/Linux*

I fucked up my Debian installation. Wi-fi and internet doesn't seem to be accessed, even with ping, and I don't have sudo or ifconfig access or I can't install anything. Modified interfaces file and all that.

What do I do?

>busybox: invalid option -- P
>Usage: grep [-HhnlLoqvsriwFE] [-m N] [-A/B/C N] PATTERN/-e PATTERN.../-f FILE [FILE]...
Dumb busybox.

What is the best distro for ricing?

Your choices include:
-install gentoo
-reinstall debian but don't fuck up this time
-start your debian installer but choose rescue system in the boot menu. choose your installed system when it asks then install the necessary tools

Regardless of your choice
>and I don't have sudo
slap yourself in your dumb fucking face. You either have root if you choose to specify a root password or sudo for your user.

>install gentoo
when will this meme end?

This post could have been friendlier, to be honest.

>torvalds quotes

Attached: 1534609092409.jpg (700x606, 30K)

>Wi-fi and internet doesn't seem to be accessed
Debian doesn't include proprietary firmware in the default install.
>I don't have sudo or ifconfig
Use su like the cool kids, nerd. You need to be root to have access to the netutils binaries.

Attached: GIMPed™.jpg (660x330, 64K)

>t. stallcuck

Took me sometime to notice. lol

should i install pulseaudio?

yes

kek

Android is really depressing.
>tfw you aren't administrator of your very own system

the problem was that I haven't installed a desktop environment. redone the install and wifi seems to be connected now

I've installed debian on minimal but it was really difficult, should have wasted my time figuring out arch or gentoo instead

How to check with apt if some package is already installed?

dpkg -l |grep
apt list |grep

How can I change the terminal you open from within Dolphin (actions -> open Konsole here) to something else like Terminator? I can't find anything on google

Resource usage, too much shit in the main thread on Wayland, and le filepicker maymay. Other than that it's great.

1. DEs have settings for what is the default terminal application. Find this option and change it
2. Debian based systems have this "alternatives" thing. You can use "update-alternatives" to change "x-terminal-emulator" to your desired terminal emulator.

I already did the 2nd option (I'm running Debian) and Dolphin still has the same option. I'll try changing it on KDE itself.

I am looking to buy a new laptop...

Either a topspec XPS 13, Zenbook pro or spectre 360x.

Will be dual booting windows/arch.

Does anybody have experience of using arch on either of these models? From what I have seen, the zenbook and xps have the best support.

Yea that hasn't fixed anything.

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 755K)

the second example will give results for things not installed.
i.e. apt list | grep firejail ?vs. apt list firejail

I encrypted my ssd with Manjaro on it during the install.
How/can I change the encryption passphrase in the settings somewhere?

Pacman its self never breaks, it dosent put you in cyclical redundancy dependency hell.
I see far more posts in these theeads about apt breaking and sticking you in dep hell then arch ever has

I use comparator with Icecat and it works fine, as for learning vim, vim-tutor for the basics and a search engine for more "advanced" things.
Also that guy that looks like the guy from the matrix has some interesting videos about vim.

Attached: cypher.jpg (450x198, 43K)

>comparator
*vimperator

Why archfags keep lying about apt?
>pacman never breaks anything
last thread, the thread before, etc.

Post it.

Your turn.

That isnt pacman, that is konsole not utilizing the locale properly.
pacman didnt break anything, the users environment isnt properly setup.

Does Ubuntu and a GTX 1060 just werk with the proprietary drivers from the device manager?

Attached: CB0FZbF.png (659x337, 69K)

i have a question;

i'm currently using manjaro kde and i want to switch to kubuntu.
i have separate partitions: boot root home and swap

what will happen if i don't format my home partition during kubuntu instalation? what will be useable in kubuntu?

yes, the question is stupid but it could save me some time

thank you

I am looking for a good music player. I have been using vlc for quite a while now, but there must be a better application to handle music. Any suggestions?

Attached: 290834573908475.png (1000x1000, 78K)

More botnet: reddit.com/r/linux/comments/98ctgu/ubuntu_server_including_ads_in_the_terminal/

For most encryption schemes you have to reformat the whole drive, or at least all the encrypted space. eCryptFS is the only commonly used exception.

I want to try debian wil non-free firmware.
what iso should i get?

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Attached: Index of -cdimage-unofficial-non-free-cd-including-firmware.png (1102x744, 141K)

Probably not a popular opinion but I only use Spotify since I stream most music and import the few albums I actually have as local files so that I can incorporate the tracks in my regular playlists. You can even sync it to the mobile app to get your local files "on the go".

Attached: [email protected] (386x386, 6K)

clementine isn't awful but it's a bit more of a music library manager as well

9.5.0-live+nonfree, it's the live CD version that lets you try it out and also install if you want to. The regular 9.5.0+nonfree is just an installation media so it boots straight into the installation and there is no option to boot a live version.

ty

The music on the go feature sounds really cool. I have to check that out.

If you want to save data you can download offline playlists although I only use the feature to be able to listen to music stored on my PC through my phone when I'm not at home.
(If you add the local files to a playlist and then sync the playlist to your phone it automatically also syncs the local files despite them not actually being available on said unit)

Does anyone use icecat? I'm trying it out and I can't access google docs, I get a 403 (in particular trying to watch videos on cytube, but I can copy the video file links into the address bar and it still gives a 403).
Does icecat block google docs?
I've been trying to search for information but all I can find is some references saying that people experience this problem on other browsers too and no real solution.

I just want to make sure I don't waste time chasing a red herring if icecat is supposed to be blocking it. If it is is there any way to unblock it?

it has a modified adblocker that has an extra list or two, I guess it's that (assuming you disabled librejs)

use the i flag in apt list for installed

apt list -i | grep

Hot corners are comfy as fuck. To my knowledge, I don't know if Windows has anything like it, but it would be so useful.

It's so much easier and less effort to move my mouse to an area of the screen to do something than set up kb shortcuts and shit. I can manage workspaces, open applications, take screenshots, etc. with one hand.

Why do we limit ourselves to just corners? Can't we make more configurations than just the corners?

I looked on the PCSX2 forum and found instructions in the linux forum to compile the latest version of the emulator with the proper support. using cmake.
Kind of like the Dolphin way of doing it but with some extra instructions to stick in. So I managed to get it working with AVX and the performance, is kind of worse but a little better.
So using Ghosthunter as a base example it seems to work alright on Linux. The intro is slow, but the effects capturing ghosts has way less impact and even for a little bit the game was running fairly smoothly. However on both linux and windows the game has a horrible habit of breaking. The screen going black and you have to reset the emulator to get it back up.
But Dragon Quest VIII runs worse on Linux. Stable but with a lot of slowdown. It slows down on Windows a bit but you can cheat it and set it to SuperVU.
Needs more testing I think. Try out some software mode too for some games that need it.

Mouse gestures.

Is there any way of getting Plank to run under Wayland? I just installed Fedora and found out that it doesn't seem to support Wayland. So, is there any kind of workaround or am I going to have to find an alternative? Dash to dock is not an option.

>50-motd-news
- sends infornations, recieves motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news

>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers on every boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""

>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com on login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf