If you sent one of these on a trip to Alpha Centauri and some aliens picked it up...

If you sent one of these on a trip to Alpha Centauri and some aliens picked it up, what's the chance it survive the trip in working condition?

Let's assume an average speed of 1/2 c

Attached: l_10179034_005.jpg (600x532, 42K)

Why

cosmic rays
they fuck chips up unless they're radiation hardened

In what way do they fuck shit up, and at what rate

They mess with the structure of crystals and also ionize things they shouldn't (flip bits and such shit), it's a well documented thing so I suggest you look it up.
As for the rate, well it's kind of up to chance. If you just shot the thing up towards the skies with no shielding or hardened electronics, something as mundane as solar activity would wreck it (assuming that being hurled into space didn't ofc).

the aliens would prob be why the fuck does it have a window and why are they using AIO coolers.

>flip bits in a turned off computer
You means it would reprogram ROMs on the motherboard?

AMD processors would survive but intlel will probably fail 3 months after purchase lmao

Yes, the charge within the memory gates would be affected. It's pretty much bitrot in steroids.

What if you sent it inside of a huge watertank

Put simply, it will randomize the contents of all storage devices, effectively the same as wiping them. If wouldn't be a big deal if it was an 80s computer. But nowdays everything has microcode in it and is completely bricked it it's fucked up.

So you're telling me if you sent an 80s computer it would survive the trip?

Why is everything made in the 80s indestructible

It was a time before planned obsolescence was a thing.

Well with the appropriate containment anything is quite possible. You wouldn't really need that much, remember astronauts in orbit still can use laptops and such since the ISS' structure can protect them. (I'm not sure if they're still inside the magnetosphere though?) Also, I'm not sure what effects may arise from the speed you suggested, I really don't have an answer there.

>0.5c
As long as you don't meet a dust particle you should be ok. And time dilation will make sure you'll reach your destination pretty fast actually, so your travel time is pretty low from the PCs vantage point

> As long as you don't meet a dust particle you should be ok.
Why does the idea of hitting a microgram or two of mass completely at random and being destroyed in a Tunguska-tier explosion as a result seem so funny?

ISS is *well* within the magnetosphere. That thing is huge. Even then, though, they do get cosmic ray hits from time to time. You can see it in the cameras they use: bad pixels due to hits

they fuck my shit up at a rate of 1 sold intel stock per 10nm

At that speed time dilation is not even perceptible. The blue shift though will be large already, bathing you in harder radiation that's harder to block.

>time dilation not perceptible at 0.5c
It would shave a few years off, so it's definitely perceptible. Point is the equipment would age that amount less

Cosmic rays would eat the computer alive. In theory, you could create a small craft or pod that generated it's own magnetic field to safeguard the contents, but that's a tall order out of our reach at the moment. You would also have to take into consideration the construction of a relatively effective system for deflecting matter in its path. At .5c you're going to get hole punched by a speck of dust.

Attached: Looks like they have surpassed us a long time ago.jpg (640x1100, 532K)