Gentoo + Tesla car

Couldn't I use gentoo to have full control over the hardware in the Tesla car?

I imagine I could make it go faster, overclock it, make it more efficient, use it for entertainment, make better security for myself, and do what ever i want to do with it really. I'm getting hard just thinking about it.

What would you make your Tesla do if you got Gentoo to be fully functional on it?

Attached: Roadster_Front_34_1-e1512593855725.jpg (3235x1612, 677K)

That won't work, because car manufactures have a great interest in you not running any software not provided by them on the critical control units. You won't be able to run your car completely libre unless you switch the hardware.

t. develops security for car control systems

it would also be extremely unsafe. You can't drive without a license, neither can your homemade script.

Even if you could run gentoo, wouldn't compiling everything drain the the battery life a lot faster?

I would not do that but instead get a real car that's not too new to scream at me when the engine is missing
Remove the engine
Swap in forklift motor on to transmission
Pile up batteries in the front and back
Install relevant voltmeters and other stuff
>inb4 muh xboxhueg distraction from the road
Just stuff a tablet in the dash

Why won't Jow Forums just customize an electric car that runs gentoo?

I'm sure the car companies also have a great interest in me not being able to replace a brake light or spark plug without taking it back to the dealership and paying insane premiums. Never mind that we have laws that determine what's street legal or not. Just ban all car modification altogether because it's "unsafe". This is the future we chose.

Run emerge, car exits garage, runs over kids.

Swapping hardware is different to swapping software. The only thing I () said, is that you'll be out of luck attempting to swap the software as you'll find it impossible.

>What would you make your Tesla do if you got Gentoo to be fully functional on it?
Watch YouTube videos and ask myself why on earth did I buy this piece of junk instead of a BMW.
///M POWER!!!

Attached: frozen-black-bmw-m6-gran-coupe-is-breathtaking-photo-gallery_5.jpg (2560x1600, 1.92M)

I know you think you're stopping people from crashing their cars but all you're doing is encouraging hackers to fuck up your software even more. By the way if you work for Tesla then your work is still likely not in compliance with the GPL.

Because Jow Forums is full of retarded spergs who can't into anything more complicated than Linux
You can very easily install an electric motor into an ICE vehicle and make something cool

>t.ahmed

Even the performance version of the model 3 does 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

I don't work for Tesla, I work for a company designing car control units/hifi etc.
The reason to implement this type of security is to provide protection against unauthorised modifications and to enforce compliance with regulations. Sure hackers will always attempt to break the hardware and after a fiasco like spectre/meltdown it's been a nightmare, but that doesn't change the fact, that the protection is there for peoples own good.

>install gentoo on your tesla car
>the very next time you would like to use it, it straight out greets you with dozen errors
>tfw GUI not working, that's fine we can reconfigure Xorg later
>car randomly stops in the middle of the road, you paste the error message to fgtt, friendly GeNtU/Tesla thread, hoping to get answered
>get fired out of your job because of constantly being late
>at least you unlocked battery so when for some reason it will let you start up the engine, it could put 0.6% more distance than locked version which normies pay $3k to unlock

I'm sorry, it's a BMW. Your argument is moot.

The entire automobile industry is built on unauthorized modifications. Now all of a sudden because it's software you think you can lock everything down and that it's somehow less safe for people to modify that then it is for them to put a new carburetor. If you want to do something for your customer's "own good" then give them a product that doesn't rely on 100 million lines of unmodifiable spaghetti code written by stressed out engineers under ridiculous deadlines, and running on processors that have broken security anyway.

>suck it up and decide to pay the 3k
>bring it to the shop to get it unlocked
>the guy installs gentoo on it
>see him turn around and shitpost in the same thread

WHITER THAN YOU AND YOUR ARAB MOBILE AHMED

emerge sync
emerge world

It makes more sense to use a OBD2 ECU with a programable chip in it?
And connect a Raspberry to controll it?
By doing that you would per say have a linux-based pc with a Car connected to it.
But replacing the ECUs embedded OS will be a shitstorm out of this world...

t. boomer

add a hardware gentoo switch you fag

Attached: cat_bogdanoff.jpg (451x604, 65K)