/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, cooling, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>For Intel, only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Only consider AMD GPU if you plan on getting an upcoming HDR monitor
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V or upscale from 1440-1800p
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: arctic_alpine_am4.jpg (678x475, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LL47GG
silentpc.com/gaming-pcs/h5-fanless-gaming-pc
tomshardware.com/news/dram-memory-shortage-prices-nand,37627.html
pcpartpicker.com/product/qGqbt6/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvgb
pcpartpicker.com/product/wd97YJ/samsung-860-evo-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-n6e1t0bw
pcpartpicker.com/product/nQc48d/asrock-x470-master-sliac-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-master-sliac
pcpartpicker.com/product/WPQG3C/amd-ryzen-7-2700-32ghz-8-core-processor-yd2700bbafbox
pcpartpicker.com/product/gWbwrH/seasonic-focus-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fm
pcpartpicker.com/list/m6TLFt
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/y4RddX
pcpartpicker.com/list/mYpTpG
pcpartpicker.com/list/4djzhy
youtu.be/HibeyiJ5z9Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you think of passive cooling? Anyone here has any experience with fully passive cooled builds including dedicated gpu?

Attached: 9F5F40AA-8A3F-4E85-887B-940776E32E3C.jpg (1200x1200, 73K)

Want to upgrade from a BenQ XL2411Z.
Stuck between ASUS ROG PG278QR and PG279Q, is it worth it to go for IPS?

Attached: 24-236-797-V01.jpg (1280x960, 63K)

What do you guys think of my build? Planning on purchasing soon so could use some last minute advice on if I should add/remove anything. Will be mainly used for gaming.

pcpartpicker.com/list/LL47GG

Attached: pc.build.jpg (1175x598, 81K)

Is there any reason to buy a 1070 Ti instead of a 1080? It's just $70 more

2990WX's compatibility with full 8 sticks of memory is even worse than 1950X's.

It's good as long as you run an efficient CPU or aren't running it flat out all the time.

Like a highly efficient CPU like the 2700 is going to be fine for regular usage and games, but unless you have a massive amount of cooling TDP then it'll probably throttle when you're using all 16 threads 100% for an extended period such as in rendering.
For GPU, you'd likely need a custom heatsink to make sure VRMs and memory are cooled.

>is it worth it to go for IPS?
Duh. Have you seen them in person, properly calibrated?

>970 Evo
I'm positive you do nothing that makes use of that.
I also recommend against the gigantic case which'll be mostly empty.
Why is that Vega 56 so expensive? It was $490 a week ago. Just get a different model instead of spending that much.
Paying more money for RGB RAM but not B-die is dumb.
Why not 1440p IPS...?

Do you mean is there any reason to buy a 1080 over a 1070Ti? No, not unless it's the same cost and you're doing 1440p instead of 1080p since the 1070Ti is more often faster in 1080p.

>muh 1440p
Unlike you and the small Jow Forums minority. People are perfectly happy with 1920x1080 144hz.

The 1070ti is 95% of the performance at a given clock speed. Only time I'd buy a 1080 is if it was almost the same price as the 1070ti, or bought the killer B-stock deal from EVGA last week.

passive is a meme unless you have a couple square meters of heat sink or 100w total consumption
just put a silent fan at 200rpm and performance increases by a gorillion % at no more noise

clock speed matters more on a gpu than memory right?

Attached: tomato.jpg (686x576, 37K)

>Duh. Have you seen them in person, properly calibrated?
Not personally, no. Everything I've read is singing praises about it, and the only complaints I've seen are mentioning backlight bleeding, but I don't know how bad that can be.

help me pick a grafics card for pcie passthrough to a windows VM for the gaymanning
quadro: too expensive
gtx 10 series: code 43 faggotry, old hardware at this point
radeon pro: too expensive
rx 5 series: old hardware at this point
vega: roughly 1.8-2x price of rx 580, only gigabyte/asus available

seems like the ideal pick is an rx 580 simply for +dvi port +1 8 pin power but -old hardware
are dual fan gigabyte vega 56 really that terrible? I can't find any reviews presumably because of the cryptocunts

Learn how to spell, and speak English, faggot. Buy an RTX 2080Ti when it comes out and fuck off.

I have a 144hz monitor w freesync and a ryzen 3 2200g as a cpu.
I'm going to buy a new gpu (i'm using vega 8 right now). Should i buy a gtx 1060 6gb or rx 580 8gb or new nvidia?
I don't care reaching 100+ fps in all games, only on esport games like overwatch or lol

For gaming, yes

are FX8350 enough for 1080p gaming?

With the advent of good sound dampened cases, SSD storage, and fuzzy logic smart fan PSUs, their benefits aren't as great today. That said, custom engineered fanless PC builds are impressive just for their own thermal design like this:
silentpc.com/gaming-pcs/h5-fanless-gaming-pc

First, your GPU choice could radically change on Monday when the RTX 2000 series is announced. Wait and see how things shake out.

What applications do you need 16GB of RAM NOW? DRAM prices are expected to drop ~25% in several months so buying a single 8GB or 2x4GB Kit and adding more later when memory gets back to sane prices would be a better.
tomshardware.com/news/dram-memory-shortage-prices-nand,37627.html

If you do need 16GB this kit will save you $50.
pcpartpicker.com/product/qGqbt6/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvgb

I'd argue that once you get off the SATA bus and onto the NVMe connection you aren't going to notice the speed differential among drives at least until Intel Crosspoint becomes mainstream. So I'd spend 20$ more for the 860 Evo 1TB drive over the 970 Evo 500GB for superior $/GB value.
pcpartpicker.com/product/wd97YJ/samsung-860-evo-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-n6e1t0bw

Unless you can name a feature you reall want from that particular Asus board I wouldn't spend $200 for an AM4 platform which there are plenty of good $140-150 alternatives.
pcpartpicker.com/product/nQc48d/asrock-x470-master-sliac-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-master-sliac

The non-X Ryzen 2700 can still overclock like the X variant but is ~$30 cheaper.
pcpartpicker.com/product/WPQG3C/amd-ryzen-7-2700-32ghz-8-core-processor-yd2700bbafbox

You can save $20-30 on the PSU without making any compromises since even fully modular units still have to have the main PCI-E and ATX connectors plugged in anyway.
pcpartpicker.com/product/gWbwrH/seasonic-focus-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fm

~$150 saved.

Attached: h5-4.jpg (1000x667, 514K)

the 1060 can reach past 100 frames just fine, but with a freesync monitor you should get the amd card instead

>Buy an RTX 2080Ti
lol no thanks

>Buy an RTX 2080Ti
unless they stop cucking passthrough on the *TX line I'm not buying nvidia again

I wanted to look into upgrading to an IPS 1440p 144hz monitor, probably with G-Sync, and then I saw the prices.
I'll probably be sticking with 1080p 60hz for longer than I expected.

Attached: [Orphan] Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo movie 1 (HDTV 720p) [191C14E3].mkv_snapshot_00.46.29_[2018.07. (1920x1080, 301K)

2080/2080ti in August
2070 in September
2060 in October
kys namefag it won't be January 2019 for the 2060.

2400g or an i7 haswell for gaming?

Attached: 1518084754581.png (458x333, 126K)

You don't hear of the majority who get working IPS monitors out of the box. Sure there's duds, if it happens to you get it RMA'd. IPS shits on TN all the time.

You could do 1080p 144hz with a VA panel. Middle of the road, I guess.

I don't mind staying with my current monitor as it's decent for a TN panel (ve278q). If I'm going to shell out the money for an upgrade I'd rather go with a really significant one. I've spent some money recently on other parts so I'll hold off for now, maybe newer models will cause older ones to go on sale

Either's fine. Haswell if you already have a Z97 board, but 2400G if you're buying new anyway. Not much point buying a redundant platform unless you're getting a killer second hand deal.

Are EVGA and MSI the only GPU manufacturers that have transferrable warranty by serial number? As in no proof of purchase needed etc.

I wouldn't be surprised. I and everyone else recommends 4 DIMMs on quad channel for the obvious reason, anyway.
Only reason to do 2 per channel is because capacity is more important than speed for your use case.

Ya, basically.
Static air transfers heat terribly.
You have GPU coolers like the Artic Accelero which have like 200W TDP of cooling at only 32dBA or so.

If you want quiet, you get something like that, Macho Rev.B, and a single very quiet case intake. Then you get actual good cooling and you generally wont hear it over ambient noise levels.

For KVM, Radeon is your obvious choice.

Either is fine. Thought the downside of those Optiplex and such is that they tend to have slow RAM. Still, it's going to be better value if you get a complete Haswell i7 desktop for ~$250.
2400G will be a more modern platform, more upgradable, and you get to pick faster RAM, but it's going to cost like $100-$150 more in total.

>1080p 144hz with a VA panel.
all of these seem to be samsung and curved
are there any flat variants?

First time building.

I kinda have no idea what I'm doing.

I know I'll go for a ryzen 2700 (not sure about the X). A GPU with 1070 minimum performance (waiting for the gtx release and then decide). Ripjaws 16gb 3200 for ram. But motherboard I have no idea how to choose one. Help.

It's for both Dev work and gaming btw

MSI B450 Tomahawk would be a good choice. MSI's B450 mobo's have the best cooling compared to other manufacturers afaik.

What are the best settings for msi gtx1060 6gb in msi afterburner?
I have 3200ddr4/16gb ram

>For KVM, Radeon is your obvious choice.
yes but which bloody one, rx 580 handles 1080p 60fps now but vidyagames keep getting less and less optimized a vega 56 should be able to maintain 1080p 144-ish fps with freesync long past its own obsolescence yes?

When are new cpus coming out?

Going to pick up following /used/ build today for 1440p gaming. Wanted to build my own, but with the price being low, this is better option.
Two power supplys seems a bit odd, have not seen that before
Any last moment options or hints what to check on used parts before buying?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350M-A
Asus Strix GTX 1070ti
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8GB) 3000Mhz ddr4
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Fractal Design Node 804, with window mATX
power supply: Seasonic 550W FOCUS+ 550 Gold,
modular powersupply: ATX-powersupply, 80Plus Gold
Translated the list myself, so sorry for any errors.

Attached: images.jpg (217x232, 7K)

B450-A Pro is the same board without gaymer shit

I've a 200€ to spend for a gaymer GPU, what's the best option available? Currently leaning for the Fury as it's sold used for that much.

Quick sanity check; Which of the following monitor features are genuinely worth having vs meme;
>Curved
>Ultrawide
>Curved ultrawide
>120/144/165/240 Hz panels
>1440p/4K below 30”
>IPS panels vs TN
>gsync vs freesync

where from and what exact ones, because i can't find anything for sale in australia using pcpartpicker

i honestly might just buy the rgb meme ram (3200mhz non-bdie) even if its not on the tested/supported list and just hope for the best

Two power supplies can cause system instability and 550w might not be enough for a 1070ti Strix, really consider getting an appropriate one

Otherwise it's a fine build

>Gaming
>1600
Why? Either 2600(X) or 8400 is what you want. Only reason for 1600 are insane sales.

is there no point buying a 1070ti now ? rtx 2070 will retail for the same price as a 1080 at launch so I may as well buy that right?

He said used build

Oh well.. nvm me then.

So, is 2600 future proof of corelet tier?

meme
meme
big meme
144hz not a meme, 240hz kinda meme
not meme, 1440p is best at 27"
not meme, though theres nothing wrong with TN if you want higher refresh rates
gsync is a meme, freesync is pretty much bundled (ie FREE) with every decent new monitor

What AM4 motherboard should I buy for the 2700X that is least likely to die in the next 10 years? hit me with all you anecdotal evidence of which mobo maker is the best/worst/least worst, I'm personally leaning towards the gigabyte x470 gaming 7 based solely on the fact it has a finned vrm heatsink but that seems like a silly reason to base the entire purchase on.

Attached: bbfcaecc644f15f01f756382a535e50f00a9c453.jpg (676x960, 102K)

MHW is a completely unoptimized piece of shit and it still does 60fps in that game.
We've largely seen a stagnation of requirements to run games. Even the 7 year old 7970 is still good on medium-high settings in most new releases.

Maybe we'll see a jump in requirements in like 3-5 years as ray tracing catches on, but RX580 should still be good for years as long as you don't have to max settings.
Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck waiting for Navi, or for a sale on Vega 56.

Depends on expectations. Zen2 is likely to have lower memory latency and higher IPC in addition to higher clocks so it'll be better, but that doesn't make the 2600 worse than it currently is.

>tfw my fresh built in 2600x is over 4ghz
Is that normal? I didnt even OC

Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero is the best AM4 board in terms of power delivery and still has all the usual features X470 comes with. Really expensive though and has the gamer aesthetic.

Any advantage in the slightly increased clock of the 2600x besides gayman fps? I dont know If its worth an extra 30 pounds

Having PBO and XFR2 is the biggest advantage and makes the price difference justified. However the basic 2600 still represents great value for money for what it is.

Is it possible to install a consumer graphics card alongside a professional one and be able to switch between them on the fly? Say I have a motherboard where I can install a vega 56 alongside a pro wx5100. Would I be able to plug both into the same monitor and be able to switch between them depending on what's needed at the time, or would I need to have a dual monitor set up?

am I retarded for buying a b450 msi mortar?

And lastly, b450 or x470 for 2600/x? What practical difference will a 150 pound motherboard make over a 90 pound one?

Hey. What GPU should I get if I do digital drawing? Should I also upgrade from 8gb to 16gb? I use adobe photoshop and its very sluggish at times with my fx6300 and 8gb of ddr3.

Attached: 1522022700693.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

Nah
Unless you're trying to push high overclocks or plan on getting a higher end zen2/3 processor when the time comes then b450 is plenty given its got all the features you want

Also, what is wrong with DDR3? I don't play games at all. Would it be a mistake to just buy 8 more gigs of ddr3?

So, going from a 2600x to a 3600x on a b450 would still be acceptable?
Would all the new technologies/settings be implemented in a BIOS update?

Should I try and sell my 1070 now before Monday and get the new 2000 series, such that I might get a better price for my old GPU?

yes

pcpartpicker.com/list/m6TLFt is what I want to augument pic related with. good choice?

Attached: current build.png (653x473, 62K)

b450 mortar is for a 2700x, I hear that needs a $200 x470 mobo at least according to
some faggot on youtube

I'd imagine you need a good CPU for Photoshop, not GPU.
Buying 2400G if you already have a GPU is probably a waste.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9FL0YvNzQ5NjA3L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDIxLnBuZw==.png (711x457, 62K)

is photoshop optimized for intel?

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/y4RddX
here is an alternative.

You could say that.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL1gvNzY0NTI5L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDIxLnBuZw==.png (711x457, 79K)

I am not sure on what program to use yet as I am fairly new to it. I may also use clip studio paint or coral painter.

Did you draw that? Why didn't you include the feet?

A bit. Not enough that you'd notice the difference side-by-side.
2200G/2400G using the iGPU is really all you need to simply draw.

3000 series will be on 7nm. It's likely not going to draw any more power since it's on a smaller manufacturing node. It'll just be like a 35% performance increase for the same power draw.

So yeah, 3600X will surely work fine on any decent B450 board.

No, I didn't. I already have a gtx 670 from back when I played games. I see hat about drawing. Isn't a new ryzen thing coming out soon? what about ram?

Will miners scalp the newer Nvidia cards?

I hope leather jacket man imposes a 1-2 card only per person rule.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mYpTpG
or
pcpartpicker.com/list/4djzhy

just purchased this heatsink for 115x a week ago, now it's on my chans.

>spoiler alert, it's not that great, can't cool a 35w processor without another case fan blowing through it.

It'll be fine for using pbo, if wanting to have a 24/7 overclock you may want to look at something with better power delivery depending on how high you wanna go

Who's this cute thot?

this build guide is retarded you can build the optimal gaming computer for 800$usd including keyboard mouse monitor case psu

and literally if you spend more than this you will only get 3-4 more fps.

not going to tell you what to get thou because your all stupid cunts. pro tip this 800$ price will only go up to 1200$ for total system build when the 2080ti comes out.

I just bought pic related, how big of a mistake I'm making? Usage would be internet browsing, fapping and gaming.

I don't need many features, I just want the highest possible image quality for a price less than 350 bucks. 100% srgb is a must, beause I've seen a wide gamut monitor compared to my current one and mine is unable to display red (it looks like orange in comparison to a 100% srgb monitor), same thing with green, on mine it looks so pale and awful compared to a full gamut monitor.

VA panels seem better than IPS, they can be had for less in wide gamut and I've always hated the edge glow on my current IPS.
1440p seems the best possible res I can get with a 1060 6Gb (ran some tests on games and I can run anything at 30+fps maxed out). 27" is my ideal size, I've already seen curved panels in this size and I liked them.

My only doubts are, do these VA panels have weird issues that are not well documented, like IPS glow? And how bad will 1080p look on this monitor, since I also play PS4?

Attached: 81xx1hsy6vL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1000, 174K)

need a new case with a 5.25" slot. I dislike side windows and I'd like to get a fractal design case. is the define r6 a good case? are frontal windows a bother? I would need to open it every time I need to use the optical drive

Attached: fa61f571-fe20-4ecb-97da-a212677a6741.jpg (1180x1162, 370K)

Will the 8400 be a bottleneck for the 2070?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a USB drive? But yes that case is good, even though I prefer NZXT's stuff, such as the H440v2 (but they lack the optical drive slot).

Is an NCASE M1 a good buy?
I've discussed it here last thread and the answers I got were very informative.
It's a mini ITX enclosure, so there's no room for interesting stuff. Just the basic slots for some SSD's or some huge 3.5in HDD's for space.
I'll most likely also add an NVME ssd onto my mobo.
My specs would be:
- a mini ITX am4 mobo + 16gb CL14 3200+mhz Ram
- 2 standard SSD's, 1 nvme SSD for Windows. maybe one loud 3.5in HDD which I'll probably replace later
- ryzen 5 2600/2600X with a low profile CPU cooler for both CPU and VRM cooling (cryorig c1 comes to mind, or maybe a noctua one)
- a suitable GPU not over 300€ (a simple hobby isn't worth more, honestly)
- SF600 PSU for relative silence
- 2 intake noctua fans under the GPU for silence and cooling effectiveness
It's very limited in that regard but it's an absolute diamond when it comes to both visual design and practicality, and it is extremely small.
Any advice, please?

Attached: M1-5_1280x1280.png (1280x720, 152K)

If you like 5.25 buy a Corsair instead of a Fractal

No

That's a lot of drives, what do you need all that space for?
You don't need a really low profile cooler so pretty much any will do that's under 130mm.
I'm using the SF600 but I'd advise you to use the Silverstone SX600 which has similar passive mode features but is a lot less likely to burn your house down.
What GPU did you have in mind? I think anything above an RX 570 would be a waste imo.
Not sure if somebody already recommended it to you but the FT03S Mini from Silverstone is also pretty cool and looks even better than the M1.

WHEN WILL 2950X BE AVAILABLE?

I CANNOT WAIT MUCH LONGER.

youtu.be/HibeyiJ5z9Y
Does anyone have issues like this with 10 series nvidia cards?
I've had this on every single one I've owned, regardless of company, RMAd one and got another back with the same shit.

Attached: mayo thermal paste.gif (332x332, 2.65M)

I don't want to support nvidia anymore. Is buying a ryzen 2700x with a vega (not sure if 56 or 64) and a freesync monitor madness?

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series came out in q1, but I think the expectation for the 3000 series is to be q2 or q3 due to the new node.

I'd just get the Cougar QBX instead, really. I personally like it looks more, and I like the layout of the inside more.

31st, iirc?

I dont even hear sound on that.

Sometimes, but not by much. Usually it'll be fine.

Obviously not? Freesync is a lot cheaper than Gsync. You can get Vega56 + Freesync 1440p monitor for the cost of a 1060 + Gsync, so it's massively better value.
The new 2000 series cards aren't any better price:performance. They're just more expensive cards with a raytracing acceleration gimmick which no announced game uses. Radeon is still competitive at their price points and nothing there has changed with the new RTX cards.

retard here but
vega 64 is more expensive and 5% worse on average so I wouldn't suggest it but you could always get a rx 580 for cheap

it isnt 5% worse in average, is 5% worse in GAGYMING Vega cards arent made for gayming.

Thanks for the input. My current pc is about 5 years old, running an i5-3470 and a gtx1060 6GB, but my monitor is a 7 years old 60hz 1080p model.

I have the nzxt s340 and have already occupied the 3 hard drive bays and the 2 ssd bays. any (diy) ideas on how can I fit two more hdds in there?

your right, forgot to mention that

Is there any reason why you'd buy AMD anymore?
The 9900K will BTFO out of any Ryzen in both multi- and single-threaded benchmarks.
The 2060 will BTFO out of Vega 64 while being half the price and use a third of the electricity.

Can we finally update the OP post to get rid of all the unnecessary AMDshilling? There is zero justification for buying anything AMD now

It's a very distinct "TRRRRRRRRRRR" when the fans stop and start up again when it reaches the 50C threshold.
It's very annoying, I've set custom fan curves in both windows and (GNU/)Linux to alleviate it, but I still hear the "TRRRRRRRRRRR" on startup and shutdown.

>BTFO out of
>Blown the fuck out out of
Pajeets out.