Tfw didn't fall for the 16GiB meme

>tfw didn't fall for the 16GiB meme

I'm a 30 year old boomer who has accumulated 14,000 quality images from Jow Forums over the last 10 years and am now unable to smoothly open and explore the folder in windows 10 because it requires more than my current 8GiB.

Pic is a sample from my folder.

Attached: 1402242180729.jpg (859x713, 517K)

Ram isn't the issue, it's your hard drive. 16gb is still a meme, but SSD's are not.

ur a fucvkcing meme

>only 14000.
>not in different folders.
Fuck off retard.

i have about 16k images/webms in one folder and explorer.exe uses less than 30mb with the folder open and less than 100mb after loading the thumbnails.
what the fuck are you on about

i use large icons so it has to generate detailed previews for everything

>only 14000.
i have high standards i guess. why, how many do you have?

i use large icons (not extra large). absolutely no issues here as i've said before.
your hard drive is dying, get an ssd.

i have 64GB of ddr4 and you can suck on my fat cock, OP. even one of my fucking backups pcs has 32GB of ram, and that's only because it's a mini-itx

i have a 667 gb folder with over 500,000 images and ram usage for windows explorer uses an extra 80 mb when opening it.
fuck off.

Attached: file.png (341x130, 8K)

With large icons?

dumb boomer poster

ah, my apologies. large icons uses a whopping 5 mb more than medium icons.
probably because the icons take up more space, therefore there are less icons to load into ram.
i'm using a 5400 rpm 1 TB external hard drive and it takes less than a second to open the folder and load the icons.

i will note that my cpu ([email protected] Ghz) usage jumps to 80% for a few seconds, perhaps OP's cpu is not fast enough?

HOARDER HOARDER

no shit sherlock

>take up more space
take up more screen* space

How do people live with only 8gb of ram? When working on even the simplest video project I use 10+gb. Add another 10 to that if you want real time previews. Same goes for music production. Hell, even gayming I've had Rust use 17gb. What do 8gb people even use their computers for?

That is understandable for video editing.
I am web dev, when I boot my arch linux, which on its own uses around 130mb of ram with i3, there is another 5gb of chrome+phpstorm and other helpers runing, and this is automatically started on boot, when I actually start working, I have up to 5 phpstorm instances runing and ram goes up to 15gb, I am considering upgrading even further just for the peace of mind

Actually surprised to hear dev work/programming is that ram intensive. I always assumed it was mostly just typing in a text editor. Then again I know next to nothing about programming aside from some simple lua stuff.

Are they sorted in any way? I'm interested in this to use as a labled data set for machine learning if you've sorted it.

>working
what's that

These days everything is abstracted to hell and back with tons of plugins and libraries and dependencies and shit. A lot of stuff even runs as inside it's own VM. It can be surprisingly heavy. Then again, you could write functions in notepad.

From my experience what really makes it so intensive is the fact that you've got a bunch of chrome tabs open, plus if your running a local dev virtual machine to test your changes against.

In my own development workflow I normally have about 30+ chrome tabs open (22 as we speak), VSCode, MySQL Workbench, and 1 Debian VM. I've easily brought my XPS 13 9360 (8GB of RAM that can't be upgraded because they are soldered to the board) to its knees because of my ram consumption.

Forgot to mention it but it runs Gentoo so very little in regards to bloat. I blame a majority of it on Chrome, followed very closely by websites that don't separate content by page numbers and just keep everything in one giant scroll down window... Those websites make me physically uncomfortable because once you've scrolled through a good part of the page they basically consume just as much memory as chrome with 20+ tabs open by itself.

i think we are going to use more Vram before we use more than 8gb of normal ram.

It's entirely workflow dependent.
I do the same work just fine with a single IDE instance and a browser with 10 tabs max. I systematically close everything I'm not using, makes it easier for me to stay focused.
My work laptop has 20gb of ram and I only ever come close to maxing it is when I'm running a bunch of VMs.
If this guy feels productive with 15 instances of phpstorm good for him but it's far from a requirement for web dev.

not sorted, all the filenames are just the md5 of the image.
i'm already thinking of using it for machine learning though i don't have a powerful enough GPU (yet).
it would also take 1.3 months to upload all the files at my internet speed.

Post uncensored drive name

as you wish

Attached: file.png (262x72, 4K)

Use Far manager

I'm still using 4gb of RAM on my laptop.

all games are designed for 5-6gb of ram. because the ps4 only has 7/8gigs of combined ram and it needs to use 2gigs for graphics