Hey anons...

Hey anons, here's another (decent) chat program that looks promising and has active development but there is still a lot to be worked on.
It's basically like slack but open source and self hostable with a lot more customizability. It can bridge to irc, telegram and a whole bunch of other programs can be integrated. It has native programmes for mobile but electron for desktop or you can just use the browser version.
There is still a lot to come such as XMPP support, federation with matrix, OTR messaging.
If you can try it out at rocket (dot) beznell (dot) ooo

Attached: rocket-chat-1-logo-png-transparent.png (2400x2053, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zulipchat.com/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So if you install your own server it's free and you get the benefits of as if it were a paid subscription?

Yeah basically, just without the business support thing.

We used it at my previous job internally. It's very much a slack clone, but the fact that it isn't slack is nice. Back then, the app was buggy and laggy, don't know how much it's improved since.
You definitely don't get any detriments of something like non-paid slack, where they artificially hide old messages (note that they're not saving on space - if you start paying, they'll dig up the old messages).
I'm guessing paid rocket chat subscriptions will give you uptime guarantees and tech support, you won't get those if self hosting.

Thanks.

Anyone know what type of space you'd roughly need for say 20 employees a handful of which will probably be sending gifs all day. Roughly 1 years and 5 years worth of space.

It definitely has gotten better, haven't had any problems with it so far with just normal messaging but yeah still has a long way to go.

Looks good, kinda reminds me of discord though

There's also Zulip: zulipchat.com/. Anyone have experience with it?

Not sure what to use to host now after seeing this compared to the likes of riot and xmpp, also this looks exactly like slack, any reason to consider this over the alternatives?

Pls anons help me decide

Problem with it that Rocket chat still has terrible Notification handling especially for Windows, it's so easy to miss DM there (only 5 sec and nothing in tray). In spark whole fucking windows used to come up when you had a DM or broadcast.

Exactly the same pricing as slack. only difference is zulip is. Open source.

Rocketchat is cool. UX is just a bit poor and you'll need to do some work to get it set up for your users.

I like the fact that it's properly licensed, unlike mattermost. Just install it and play around to see what you think.

Roughly 69TB.

It's cool.
Take a look at mattermost too

The company I work for uses this

RocketChat, Mattermost, Riot and Slack works like shit on all mobile devices.
However on desktop, it is comfy.

>Slack works like shit on all mobile devices
nope

I deployed this at a medium sized company. It's functional. Not as smooth as slack but it works pretty well Did have to build my own system to deal with backups of the mongoDB server but overall it was fine.
>XMPP support,
They've been talking about this for over a year I don't think it will ever go much further than it has. as some folks have put up bounties and it hasn't made a lot of progress.
> OTR messaging
This has been there for a while.

We ran on a moderately sized VM and it was serving over 300 employees. I had it setup running three 4 different instances with nginx load balancing the instances for better response. It handled this well and has definitely gotten more performant over time.

I can't give you recent stats for space usage because I'm not at the company anymore, but if I remember correctly the database backups were just recently approaching a gig or so after about a year and half of usage with somewhere north of 300 users. I honestly don't remember how big the the attachments folder had gotten but It was probably somewhere in the 10's of gigs I don't think the vm was much bigger than 60gigs but I don't remember, If you host it in amazon or have something that can emulate s3 (like ceph or swift) then that's what I'd recommend for attachment storage because the other options are a directory that everything gets dropped in with no sub-directory structure and will eventually degrade performance overtime because that's how filesystems work, or "Gridfs" which means storing binary data in the mongo database, which just strikes me as and awful idea.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. The fucking clients are all basically butts, a lot of people would have issues with them, I just used it in a dedicated firefox tab and never had any issues.
It tries to be clever and not notify you of dm's on other platforms (android or ios) if you have an active window open on desktop/web this has been flakey for a while I think it's gotten better bu the mobile clients are transitioning to something cordova based (read:web browser with a button and push notification integration) to something more native that doesn't have all the functionality of even running it in a mobile browser. It's got a ways to go and a recent update broke some of the layout in the old cordova app so it's kind of a pain.

Don't use the client. Run it in a web browser

I used rocketchat for a while with friends. Hosted it on a raspberry pi. Worked great and was fun to use until they fucked up their pi version and havent been able to get the shit fixed for months even when I helped them debug the error. I havent used it for a while now so I don't know if it's fixed yet.
But apart from that, it's a good alternative to other chat clients, with active development, mobile apps, webRTC support, and most importantly: It's self hosted so you own your own data.

Fuck off shills

have fun using GCM modules!

thank you FBI agent

>accusing anons on a north korean cartoon site about shilling free software
Get out.