Holy fuck this is actually the worst os

>be me
>install freebsd cause why not
>won't let me su
>add user to wheel, install htop
>500 fucking megabytes of RAM used while in console doing fuck all
>ok
>try to mount my ext4 drive after figuring out the convoluted drive naming system
>cantdoit.jpeg
>have to install a shitload of stuff from the ports collection and start a FUSE module just to mount ext4 drive
>tries to enter ext4 drive as user
>permissiondenied.jpeg
>check permissions through midnight commander
>shouldbeworkingcorrectly.jpeg
Why the fuck is this OS so autistic?

Attached: daemon_hammer.jpg (600x710, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unix is autism.

>ext4
bsd is not linux dumbo

>he expects a linux filesystem to work on BSD
PEBKAC

*hugs*

#MeToo

>500 fucking megabytes
Can someone explain this one? I can’t say I had numbers this high, but it always does seem quite a bit higher than some loonix distros I’ve tried like Void, Gentoo, Arch, and Alpine. What gives? I thought Linux was supposed to be bloated? At least that’s what all the BSD shills keep saying

Yeah, htop is a fucking resource hog.

I'd need to see what he's actually doing. He needs to hit up a "procstat -v" for his shell process or something. My guess is just that the FreeBSD shared libraries are bigger or something. (Maybe it's wasted memory because FreeBSD doesn't support relocation or ASLR, lmao)

More so on BSD? I used htop on both as far as I remember. BSD is missing free(1)

vmstat

It actually wouldn't surprise me if it's more of a hog on BSD because it needs to go through some /proc compatibility bullshit

htop was made for linux, that's why

First of all, there's a bunch of desktop-usage specific optimizations you should make to the kernel and a couple other things. Google FreeBSD desktop guide or some shit to find those. OpenBSD is a better desktop system IMO, the defaults just work
Next, as other anons have said, ext4 isn't going to play nice with BSD, especially not FreeBSD. In general it sounds like you're treating BSD the same way you were treating Linux. While they have some similarities it's a totally different system, spend time reading the manual which thankfully is very good
t. bsd autist, here's some computer tiddies, have a good day

Attached: 1529599288141.jpg (2560x1440, 635K)

>htop, an interactive process viewer for Unix systems. It is a text-mode application (for console or X terminals) and requires ncurses.
>Unix systems

It still depends on the /proc interface, which is more of a Linux thing at this point

This is probably the guide you're thinking of: cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/ . I second the recommendation, it's good shit if you actually want to go through the suffering of trying to use FreeBSD.

read the htop source
it uses some kind of workaround on bsd

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
What did you expect, nigger? Just install OpenBSD.

FreeBSD's hardware compatibility is already bordering on unusability, OpenBSD is even worse.

OpenBSD user - this is true. BSD has a hell of a lot going for it as Linux continues to feel fragmented and macOS + Windows are steadily going to shit. Unfortunately if you plan to run BSD you need to buy hardware specifically for it.

If BSD can't even handle EXT4, how the fuck can it handle NTFS filesystems? Pathetic

windoze can't handle ext4 too dumbo

It could its just not implemented

>BSD
No, thanks. I am not tranny.

WHY DOES NOBODY MENTION THIS??

Attached: 67973314-5DF5-44AA-9E2D-2A7F18E2FF28.png (1200x938, 71K)

then tell me which line of codes in windoze that handle ext4

You may as well just use Windows if you want closed-source software. Unix is for people who don't need closed-source software.

Don't lump all of the BSDs in like that; that's a FreeBSD thing.

Because DragonflyBSD is better.

NetBSD with X was broken on a fresh install in a VM. I definitely don't expect it to work on hardware.

NTFS is not proprietary software.

how

That really depends on the OS. FreeBSD, Dragonfly BSD, and NetBSD have drivers for Ext2 which is forward compatible with Ext3 and Ext4 minus journaling which it does not support.

OpenBSD devs don't care about compatibility with other systems so it doesn't anything aside from UFS/FFS

The newest NetBSD doesn't boot on my PC, while previous versions used to.
What license is NTFS under?

Yes, and it runs on BSD, does it not? That doesn't mean it's as resource efficient on BSD as on Linux.