/kvmg/ - Kernel-based Virtual Machine General

General thread for Kernel-based Virtual Machines.

You can show off and discuss your KVMs and virtualization hardware here.

Attached: kvm_logo.jpg (1200x794, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html
medium.com/@dubistkomisch/gaming-on-arch-linux-and-windows-10-with-vfio-iommu-gpu-passthrough-7c395dde5c2
forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/523943-How-to-use-virtio-gpu-for-3D-acceleration-in-a-Windows-guest
virgil3d.github.io/
youtu.be/FXcKyATAbIY?t=33s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Why does Tux's left arm look so limp?

Got a guide on how to set this shit up?
Information is sparse and confusing as fuck.

iommu would be nice to play with but i currently have i3-2120 on my old computer and that cpu doesn't support iommu. newer rynznen supports iommu but my asus mb iommu implementation is total crap so it's useless.

Try installing virt-manager. The GUI makes setting up VMs and creating VHDs easy, then you can manage them via CLI once you learn.

I love KVM/Qemu.
Is there a simple way to do backups? Hyper-V had Windows Backup which did incremental backups without taking VMs offline.
Now that I'm on KVM, I only know to take the VM offline and do a manual backup of the image file once a month.

Pretty easily honestly look at Debian's page on it.
Just do the install command, then add the user to groups for permissions
Then optionally install virt-manager if you're on a desktop environment.
If you want UEFi, sudo apt-get install ovmf

gonna get a sound card for my host tomorrow so i can pass my integrated sound to the vm and mix it with the host using spdif
has anyone even got the virtual audio working properly

Attached: 1533747955994.gif (346x360, 871K)

what is this and why should I care?
t. use virtualbox because it just works and not into virtualization

not him but I get the software side but where the fuck can you find a list of HARDWARE that will let you use it fully
what requirements must a motherboard fufill to let me plug in a second gpu and feed that to a VM? will all motherboards in a given chipset/generation be equally as good or will manufacturers need to not break shit?
what manufacturers are trying to support this and on what hardware?

Attached: i-am-not-a-clever-man-19336295.png (500x402, 83K)

I stopped using GPU passthrough. I did vfio for a bit for GPU+games but I've since stopped gaming on Windows and switched to a Linux laptop.
I had a supermicro board that had a Xeon that had the right groups. Find a supported model and buy that. Vfio forums on level1techs or reddit vfio.
You need vtd or amd's equivalent and some patience.

so I can load my win7 drive on kvm and be able to use it along side my GNU/Linux machine? I have two graphics cards installed, two ssds that have both of my OSs, and have two hard drives for holding my ext4 and ntfs data respectively.

I'm doing GPU passthfough with a 1080ti its working great

vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html

medium.com/@dubistkomisch/gaming-on-arch-linux-and-windows-10-with-vfio-iommu-gpu-passthrough-7c395dde5c2

arch wiki is also good

reddit.com/r/vfio as mentionned

If you have the right hardware, can figure out how to set it up, and can figure out how to force nvidia to work despite them attempting to gimp GPU's in VM's, and can get all the VIO drivers setup in Windows, then sure.

you need mobo+cpu which support iommu. intel uses term vt-d (vt-x is "normal" virtualization support), amd uses amd-vi or iommu. nearly all i5 and i7 cpus have vt-d support and on amd side allmost all recent cpus have iommu support. most difficult thing is to find motherboard which iommu support is present and funtional. asus mobos are known to be crappy on that.

is there any way to have 3d acceleration on windows guests in KVM?

Not full passthrough but rather share the host GPU to many VMs, similar to WinServer's Hyper-V Remote-FX, or VMWare's 3d acceleration.

My use case for the VMs is to run MMORPG gold farming bots, so i need some form of graphics boost.

Also if not possible on KVM, what about Xen, or its paid options like Citrix?

Attached: 1534721920411.png (400x400, 19K)

lmao gold farming
i think there's something like SPICE that is maybe accelerated but i doubt it does what you need

oh, I'm using radeon gpus, what about VIO drivers?

use vmware at least. better performances and vmware player is free.
vmware can, and iirc virtualbox too.

vmware is only free if you dont vaqlue your freedom virtualbox at least is mainlined AFAIK

redhat virtio drivers are for ethernet and disk controllers on the guest
for the GPU you use the generic amd (or nvidia) driver
but some radeons have issues with passthrough i'm sure its documented somewhere

you'll need a RH VIO driver disk inserted into the VM during windows setup. You'll have to load the storage (viostor) driver at setup to use virtio

You're kind of scum for running bots which is akin to cheating. However, I don't really care as games are shit anyways and you can do what you want for all I care. Yes it is possible to use 3D accel in KVM.
There are people who have posted in forums with your similar use case. Do you actually make decent cash from that? MMORPG players are huge nerds so I'm sure they'd shell out for virtual gold.

D3D capable virtual GPU when?

Tried it a few times but couldn't get rid of the stutter. Still have it set up because I have a certain program installed on it for which I can't find the dependencies on a new install.

For bots, you can make a special client that run headless (and run it using the linux kernel)

I'm sure whatever he's running, it still needs to have the 3D game rendered to interact within it.

side hobby as im majoring in Kode at uni. Generates enough to live and expand hardware every now and then, i just supply to chink mmo gold sites who buy cheap and sell higher but idm, it's fast and no wasted time with random customers buying little amounts. i dont bother getting on to sell unless chink sites need bulk. Anyway, the only forum post about it was this archfag acting like a smug knowledge gatekeeper on that poor OP
>forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/523943-How-to-use-virtio-gpu-for-3D-acceleration-in-a-Windows-guest
do you have any specific links? Google search engine is giving me completely unrelated results with anything I try searching.

vmware is worse than hyperv for this because the game doesn't run unless you disable vmtools via .vmx config file and make some regedit fixes in the vm (remove VMWare's name from the driver). it causes 3d accel to be quite unstable. I want to try the linux alternatives for virtualization but all my servers have a single 1050ti or amd equivalent. Passthrough would be viable if I had opted for buying multiple cheap AMD cards to fill all pcie slots, but i'm kinda stuck with what I have here (12 rigs like that)

Attached: 1534187672271.jpg (1400x814, 299K)

Well if it's an mmo, he can just process the packets sent by the server and fake a client

a CLB for this game have been near impossible to build after some major security reworks in 2014-2016

been doing this for years now, audio latency is absolutely atrocious for real time work (think recording instruments with playback) but otherwise everything else works reasonably well, 95-99% of native performance in games when you take into account that your host machine will be using some cores/threads

had virtual sound working flawlessly almost out of the box like 2 years ago but I have no idea how, upon doing a clean 'proper' install recently I had nothing but issues with crackling and pops while the virtual sound device was causing huge non-sound related latency, had to give up after multiple wasted days and pass through a usb dac in the end
the biggest issue with getting virtual sound working will probably be pulseaudio for the host side

trying to load an existing install can be a bit hit and miss especially for windows 7, if you can't get it to work I'd recommend trying to do a clean fully virtual install just to verify that everything else is working as it should
I can boot my windows 7 install in both bare metal and under qemu/kvm though and haven't noticed anything too odd

Just try to mitm the packets sent, then just by analyzing what they contain, you may find some useful informations about the game

What kind of shit mmo let's you play in a VM

holy shit that link is exactly why linux has the reputation it has
>well, muh Google results
>Google this
>Google that
>Oh but with a little thinking you could figure it out with this completely unrelated forum thread and some Googling
Literal hypocrite using a botnet. The problem with this KVM 3D acceleration on windows guests is that it's very little documented. From what I've read, the first release was in 2017 called VirGL.
>virgil3d.github.io/
but there's absolutely no information on how to implement it there.
This is a problem with muh bleeding edge stuff, you're pretty much on your own with no guarantee of it working.

Attached: 1534330436171.jpg (400x400, 16K)

Looks like my hardware allows pci passthrough.
I'm gonna do it lads, I'm going to switch to linux 100% if I get this set up properly.

oh so the driver has to be loaded on install
so it might not be possible with an existing windows 7 install

pretty sure there is no windows support so you're out of luck. neckbeard confirms it here

youtu.be/FXcKyATAbIY?t=33s
>"afaik there is no progress on Windows guest"
also pic related, right on the VirGL3D github page. "Future scope" means never ever in Linux talk so don't count on it.

Attached: never ever.png (864x869, 90K)

shit. Is there any other bare metal hypervisor that has non-passthrough 3D acceleration? What about Xen

Attached: 1534687707416.png (645x773, 19K)

>so it might not be possible with an existing windows 7 install
it definitely can be done (speaking from experience) but it might not be worth the effort in trying to figure out which magic qemu/libvirt conf is needed for your particular setup if it doesn't seem to work right away, it's very easy to spend hours/days troubleshooting this sort of thing and there's not a lot of good explanation on why some things might or might not work, bios/mbr will probably work a lot better than if you're trying to do something like uefi/gpt like I was doing
if you can get a fully virtual setup working first you'll be able to verify that gpu passthrough works and then you can try swapping out the virtual disk for your physical one, much easier than going in blind

stay away from Citrix as it only supports NVidia GRID for vgpu, at which point you just use KVM/VMWare to do direct pass through to multiple VMs with it.

Open source Xen is a cucked version of Citrix without any graphics support. Stick to Hyper-V

Attached: Citrix.png (979x1296, 135K)

Your best bet is to buy a $150+ x370 motherboard with a ryzen, most of them have sane IOMMU groups and you can turn on virtualization on all ryzens. They also have 2 pcie slots for GPUs, so stick them in and then follow the tutorial from level1techs, it explains most of the stuff. You should be able to set the software up within half a day or so, if you do it once it will work forever.

Oh and don't use an nvidia for the passthrough if you can help it, they're fucking jews and try to crash their driver if it detects it's inside a VM and you didn't buy one of their overpriced quadro professional cards. If you still have the choice, get an amd, they also have open source drivers on linux, so overall less headache.

If you want hardware that works 100%, I have an asrock killer x370, it's not a great motherboard but it has all the features I needed and it was 100 bucks cheaper when I got it. Got a r9 290 for windows and a rx 460 2gb for linux, works without any problems. Make sure to plug in the cards you want to use for passthrough in the lower slot, to avoid annoyances like having to switch your monitor input every time after booting. The BIOS will always use the upper GPU, and there's nothing you can do about it, so might as well make it the right one.

I have an asrock x99 (intel) and it works decently with sane iommu groups but also keep in mind that other motherboard manufacturers (like gigabyte) will let you specify which pcie slot to have initial video output on which is a LOT easier to deal with

>do you have any specific links? Google search engine is giving me completely unrelated results with anything I try searching.
Are you trying to run it from the integrated GPU or are you getting GPU's to run these?
Generally what I've done is passthrough an entire GPU to a VM and I was able to get that to work fine. I haven't tried messing with 3D accel on its own, but I assume thats just a matter of installing the qxl driver in the VM then letting the host's integrated just process that stuff. Should be straightforward.

I think if you're trying to render that stuff from the host, maybe you can blacklist the integrated drivers and just use the host to render with the dGPU.

Didn't know that's a thing, maybe it depends on if you got their flagship model or some cheaper thing?