Install firefox after 2 year break because chrome is a piece of shit

>install firefox after 2 year break because chrome is a piece of shit
>it actually is LESS configurable than fucking chrome now
>every fucking add-on is broken and no new or revised ones are available because devs understandably have given up
>and despite having nothing that makes it firefox anymore it loads pages slowly, stutters occasionally and uses tons of CPU
what the fuck are you supposed to do. I feel sad and defeated.

Attached: 1434581374134.jpg (692x577, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
github.com/overdodactyl/ShadowFox
pastebin.com/raw/rsP61dUi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's is exactly as with the operating systems, my friend: You have the choice between crap and shit. I honestly do not understand why people still debate about AMD vs Intel or the like when the topics 'operating system' and 'browser' deserve well more attention.

Attached: 865d90019c5d54e1.jpg (1242x1769, 167K)

mozilla, as you used to know it, died long ago.
the only decent leftover browser from it is 52esr

But that one was already mildly fucked up. I think 40 something was the last good version before australis started the downward spiral. Either way, we can't keep using legacy versions of a browser forever.

True. On the OS side though we at least have Linux and KDE, both customizable and not intentionally gimped by retard influence. Browsers are just utter shit and even more shit.

>But that one was already mildly fucked up
true, but most of it can be disabled either at compile time or with about:config tweaks afterwards, or with xul plugins to add/change functionality (like classicthemerestorer). more recent versions can't even be installed on some configurations cause mozilla said so and that's it
buy, yeah, you are right, around version 36 it started to went downhill fast and never stopped

Bloody shame. If there's anything positive about this situation, I figure now the brainlets in charge of FF development can't ruin it much more, so maybe it can finally start getting better on updates again instead of worse. This has to be the bottom, right?

Webextentions came about
Most of your old addons became obsolete
New addons or ports of the old addons supplanted the ones you know.
Just search for the Webextention version of your old addons op

>This has to be the bottom, right?
afraid not, their game now is datamining users with pocket and selling ads for it. occasionally their team makes some controversial political move/position to gain some free media exposure, but the mozilla you knew where the user came first and above all is long gone, and ain't coming back. sad indeed, but i've mourn it long ago when their users opinion on future changes were completely ignored.

>Linux and KDE
disgusting

firefox 56 forever

is there a good firefox fork that has support for the old addons and is not a piece of shit?
>inb4 waterfox
i said not a piece of shit.

Stick to chrome lmao. Firefox doesn't need low iq brainlets

Webextensions are gimped garbage. Tree style tabs can't even hide the tab bar. Fuck off.

>>it actually is LESS configurable than fucking chrome now
False
>>every fucking add-on is broken and no new or revised ones are available because devs understandably have given up
False
>>and despite having nothing that makes it firefox anymore it loads pages slowly, stutters occasionally and uses tons of CPU
False
>what the fuck are you supposed to do.
Stop lying

Attached: 1532532525484.png (1530x800, 104K)

my firefox profile folder is a mess. i've been carrying it across computers since 2005, it's like 1.2gb. I want to do a clean install, but i don't want to lose all my history\cookies\preferences, how can I do a nice clean up?

1) Not your tech support
2) 3) Fucking delete your profile and do a proper clean install

>Not your tech support
not with that attitude you're not.

Attached: snapshot (2).jpg (916x716, 100K)

pale moon

You're an idiot because you didn't keep up with Firefox and it's new add on system. Everything works fine and basically you're a moron.

>things that never happened
Keep shilling Google faglord

You can keep your history and cookies with the built in profile cleaner/restarter/refresher/whateverthefuckitiscalled
There's no way to keep your preferences with built in tools
Odds are that most of those 1.2 GB are cached shit, just clean your cache if you need that storage

>LESS configurable than fucking chrome
Why the fuck are you lying, shilltard?

>it actually is LESS configurable than fucking chrome now
>every fucking add-on is broken and no new or revised ones are available because devs understandably have given up
Why do you lie?

Jow Forums should make a browser

Sorry buddy, but you are delusional if you dont think Linux is a great OS

I'll make the logo

Attached: hack-225x300.gif (225x300, 17K)

Attached: mozilla_shirt_closeup.jpg (283x328, 23K)

Already done, newfags

shut up

Attached: mozilla.png (240x240, 37K)

Waterfox

Fuck off shill.

Fuck off Google.

Fuck off shill.

Fuck off Google.

I don't shill for Jewgle, you mentally-ill faggot.

stahp

Attached: Splazilla_by_LouCypher.png (400x300, 75K)

session manager
findbar tweak
instantfox
restart button

Those are just a few I had on my work PC and have no good alternatives around. That's like 80% broken. I'm sure my home profile has tons more bricked add-ons considering I had dozens installed.

they're both gimped, but chrome at least lets you define search engines using url templates. on firefox I'm forced to use bookmark keywords for searching, but during keyword searches the url bar displays all my history and doesn't update the list to remove non-matching results until I stop typing for about 0.1 secs. it's a huge inconvenience, I don't want everybody to see my top visits until I finish typing the search terms.

almost every add-on IS broken. good, we still have ublock and gorhill likes FF, but that doesn't mean the work of thousands of other devs wasn't trashed and invalidated by mozilla for good.

it is less performant than chrome. the only saving grace so far is that it seems to use less RAM.

You still cant admit that firefox has way more user control. And no, addons are not broken on firefox. There is a whole site with quantum compatible extensions. Firefox has more APIs that allow you to do more than Chrome. You make no sense.

This is not "way more". Maybe saying chrome has better configurability was a knee jerk reaction to seeing how dumbed down the FF settings menu had become. That only means FF is now only barely (if any) better than chrome, which has always been a piece of shit.

>And no, addons are not broken on firefox.
Almost every single one that I was using was broken. That's what matters to me.
>Firefox has more APIs that allow you to do more than Chrome
That doesn't really show because the dev support for FF has clearly collapsed since the good old days. I mean come on, a simple fucking restart button and nobody's made one that works. I'd be willing to bet chrome has more add-on devs right now, and that's sad.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 07.59.27.png (1926x1702, 244K)

>t. doesnt know how to use user.js, userChrome.css, userContent.css

Yes, about config still has way more user control compare to Chrome. And it actually has good network, security, and anti fingerprinting settings among many other useful options. You sound very ignorant.

>.css
not useful for anything outside of useless ricing
>user.js
half of the shit in there no longer does anything. don't you think my first instinct was to set urlbar.delay to 0 so that it wouldn't wait until I finish typing until it updates? plot twist, it didn't do anything because they've just disconnected it from anything, probably several versions ago. same as with many other options I've tried. adjusting fingerprinting preferences doesn't help make my browsing experience any more tolerable, and they'll probably remove all the privacy options in a few major versions anyway.

>only useful for ricing
Now you say more UI control is bad? You don't make sense at all.
>half the shit in there no longer works
There goes your gross exageration again. You're wrong, most of it works. They have removed some things which could be because of the whole rewrite of the browser. The point is that it still has WAY more user control. And it has actual useful browser settings and capabilities in regards to network requests. You cannot tell me about:config isn't miles better than what Chrome offers.

>Now you say more UI control is bad? You don't make sense at all.
It's not bad, when did I say that? The problem is CSS is very limited in what it can do outside of unnecessary adjustments and hiding things, it's not extensive "UI control".

>There goes your gross exageration again.
And there goes tackling to my obvious hyperboles again. The shit I need doesn't work. They've removed most of the options that actually adjust the UI/behavior of the browser, only technical options are left. Sure, it's nice that you can adjust redirect limits and shit, but who genuinely needs that?

Why are you defending the degradation of firefox?

I've been using pale moon as it works with old FF addons, is resource efficient in contrast to FF, and has telemetry removed.

Alternatively waterfox is a popular FF fork that's supposedly streamlined but doesn't support old addons/extensions.

I used PM for a good while as well and was happy as fuck with it. Problem is, it really is based on old code, and I heard moonchild is attempting to make a new version based on a newer FF release. That suggests there's gonna be a lot of work to keep up, and the sad reality is that PM just doesn't have the manpower the commercial browsers have. I reckon it's not a permanent solution anymore unless you're asking for vulnerabilities. Meanwhile some add-on devs (maybe) start making add-ons for the new FF API, causing further divide. The situation is just terrible.

>The problem is CSS is very limited in what it can do outside of unnecessary adjustments and hiding things, it's not extensive "UI control".
You sound ill informed of what can be done. And all this UI customization is possible on Firefox and not Chrome.
>Sure, it's nice that you can adjust redirect limits and shit, but who genuinely needs that?
There are hundreds of options. There are many useful ones. You not knowing how many useful options are available says a lot.
>Why are you defending the degradation of firefox?
I'm pointing out how you're comparison of firefox and chrome is wrong. And honestly, firefox has been better than ever. They made the right decision to switch to webextensions and servo and stylo. It still isnt even fully implemented. Same goes for all APIs.

Why the fuck aren't you using charon/abaco? Hell, just use surf with some patches if you need webkit

>You sound ill informed of what can be done.
I don't think so, considering I earn money on web dev
>And all this UI customization is possible on Firefox and not Chrome.
Not really. Chrome has chrome://flags, their equivalent to about:config. Chrome has stylus, which can change page CSS. Changing UI CSS is just unnecessary. Considering all of this, FF customizability is just not that outstanding anymore, even compared to chrome.

>There are hundreds of options. There are many useful ones.
Such as? I'd like to hear some you consider worth changing that actually work and aren't just performance optimizations or security preferences.
>You not knowing how many useful options are available says a lot.
For starters, since they broke tabmix plus I'd like to have at least some of those preferences available through about:config. But nope, and now the stuff can't be customized by extensions. That's what's causing the lack of configurability. FF was an ecosystem, now it's only about:config, where some of the stuff works and most of it just isn't related to the browsing experience at all.

>I'm pointing out how you're comparison of firefox and chrome is wrong.
I don't think it really is. FF has suffered a massive drop in user friendliness.
>They made the right decision to switch to webextensions and servo and stylo.
Based on exactly WHAT? What about the FF browsing experience has improved now? Last time I used Pale Moon it was orders of magnitude more responsive and quicker at loading pages. In contrast this new "servo" shit feels clunky and sluggish. What has improved?
>It still isnt even fully implemented. Same goes for all APIs.
A small glimmer of hope.

>that retard who thinks chrome://flags is as good about:config
>that retard who doesn't think Firefox has more UI customization
>that retard that thinks Palemoon is faster than Quantum

Attached: you.jpg (600x600, 57K)

>my shit smells better than your shit

>idiots not using abaco

lol, I don't get people like that. It's obvious Firefox has more configuration options even after Quantum.

What matter is not the raw number of variables you can tinker, but the important stuff that lets you customize how the UI works. They both fall equally flat on that front. If FF is better than chrome still, it's only marginally so.

lol, and only you decide what's important? Firefox has many things I find important.

Heres a few good about:config options
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled = false
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false
geo.enabled = false
geo.wifi.uri = blank
browser.search.geoip.url = blank
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true
privacy.firstparty.isolate = true
browser.safebrowsing.enabled = false
browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled = false
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false
browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled = false
webgl.disabled = true
toolkit.telemetry.cachedClientID = blank
dom.battery.enabled = false
browser.cache.disk.enable = false
network.predictor.enabled = false
network.dns.disablePrefetch = true
network.prefetch-next = false
media.peerconnection.enabled = false
network.websocket.enabled = false
extensions.pocket.enabled = false
layers.acceleration.force-enabled = true
browser.sessionstore.interval = 0
browser.urlbar.trimURLs = false

More
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

Some UI tweaks. And you can change it to other colors.
github.com/overdodactyl/ShadowFox

My userChrome.css that puts tabs and the URL on one line as well as many other things.
pastebin.com/raw/rsP61dUi

I don't deny the risks involved with old code and I agree, the situation is shitty.
For now though, PM is the best for me.

The recent update seems promising as far as security goes and is a bit of a departure from simply old code and it seems to have found it's own identity.
I maintain some hope for moonchild to carry on the ideals that Mozilla once did.
Small teams can do big things sometimes, even if rarely.

>Heres a few good about:config options
Well, like I said almost none of those affect user experience, they're merely things that unfuck privacy options that shouldn't have been fucked up to begin with (thus giving you no need to adjust the settings). Cache options is obviously a very good thing though, that much I can agree.
>More
>github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
More privacy.
>Some UI tweaks. And you can change it to other colors.
>github.com/overdodactyl/ShadowFox
Colors.

None of this hardly covers the things tabmix plus, classic theme restorer, context menu / keyboard shortcut editors, all-in-one-sidebar, tree style tabs, and many of the about:config options they've been removing used to cover.

I'll keep an eye on switching back to PM once I get rid of my shitty macbook

>Well, like I said almost none of those affect user experience
My experience is better knowing what's being done.
>they're merely things that unfuck privacy options that shouldn't have been fucked up to begin with (thus giving you no need to adjust the settings).
Show me these options in Chrome. They sure as hell is a lot of "unfucking" to do in that browser.
>More privacy.
You say this like its bad when its better than Chrome.
>Colors.
Yep, and on areas of the browser Chrome doesn't support.
Again, you are the one that said Firefox and Chrome fall equally flat. You're objectively wrong. Quantum has tree tabs btw. And you can make it better with userChrome.css. you're not even well informed. Or you just choose to lie like OP.

They fall equally flat on the UX side of things. I'm not neurotic enough to let my autism keep me from using either because of lacking privacy options. Privacy on the internet is just an illusion, you tuning a hundred settings in about:config isn't gonna help you if you're still using FF instead of tor and a VPN. Neither browser no longer lets me change the things that actually make a difference, so yes, they're both crippled, FF being only slightly less so doesn't really help.

>Quantum has tree tabs btw.
And it's worse than it used to be. How about the other things? Nope.
>And you can make it better with userChrome.css
You can maybe move some things around, that's about it.

You forgot the most important.
privacy.resistFingerprinting = true

Anti fingerprinting is useful to have. Again, you sound ignorant saying there are no useful about:config settings.

Does Chrome have tree style tabs? Can you put the url and tabs on one bar? Can you change the color in any part of the browser? How can you say they fall equally flat? You sound retarded, genuinely. And userChrome.css can make tree tabs look even better than default. You are tiring, I think I'm done.

I wasn't sure to leave it in because it changes the size of the browser when opening and thought people would sperg. Its mentioned in the link though. There's other good ones I didn't list either.

>Anti fingerprinting is useful to have.
Everybody can still recognize you by your IP without any effort.

>Does Chrome have tree style tabs?
Again, this is not about FF still (at least until the next release where they remove some more stuff) being barely better than chrome when it used to be in an entirely different league. Yes, FF does have some edge on chrome, but they're both shit, especially where it matters.
>Can you put the url and tabs on one bar?
Who would want that, outside of you?

Have a nice day

>Everybody can still recognize you by your IP without any effort.
No, shit. Why are you even mentioning this? You're assuming I don't use a VPN? Real smart of you.
>Again, this is not about FF still (at least until the next release where they remove some more stuff) being barely better than chrome when it used to be in an entirely different league. Yes, FF does have some edge on chrome
It's about Firefox being better than Chrome, which it is. Now you're moving the goalpost saying it has to be this much better. You first said they fall EQUALLY flat. Now you say Firefox has the edge. You're frustrating to talk to.
>Who would want that, outside of you?
Other people obviously since theres examples out there.
>Have a nice day
Thanks

>NOT USING CHARON

It's not an OS.

There's plenty of reasons to call ff garbage but come on, you didn't even install it.

or he never did networking

If you are a real pro you remember Opera 12. And if you are real pro you would know to use Vivaldi now.

Attached: viv_icon.png (3072x3072, 229K)