/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: typical g.jpg (1632x1224, 306K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T540p-15-laptop-with-full-10-key-keypad-8-GB-RAM-128-GB-SSD-Intel-i7/113213125789?hash=item1a5c07349d:g:CFIAAOSwTfFbRqyN
youtube.com/watch?v=NhDucuwN22o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lolis

reminder that the t440s is better than the x220/x230 in almost every single way.

pic related, me holding my x60

Attached: tpg.png (194x259, 74K)

Attached: gril.jpg (545x615, 72K)

Everything you said is false. You were completely BTFO last thread. Also, learn to capitalize your model letters.

t440s masterrace reporting in

pic related mine

Attached: tpgt440slaptop.jpg (2660x4182, 977K)

So here's the deal-- I actually wanted to be able to use my laptop outside, but everyone knows that the screens fucking suck.
So of course I looked up the SGXA+ IPS LED Backlight mod for the x61s. And then shortly after I saw how pissed people were that they were getting shitty refurb panels.
All I want to know is where to get sum good shit.
If any of you have experience modding the screens on your thinkpads then I would appreciate a link or a point in the right direction where to get a decent quality panel.
>HV121P01-100

>inb4 just by a better thinkpad
That's not the point; if I wanted a good laptop I would unironically get a macbook. But I find doing things myself to be both cheaper and more satisfying. Also people won't think you're gay for having a shiny thing you can shove up ye bum.

Attached: x61s.jpg (1024x768, 154K)

>tfw my t430 didn't show up today
Wtf It said 5 business days on the website.

Attached: 1501331917794.jpg (540x404, 22K)

t440s

What are you trying to show off? That's barely enough to buy an ounce of gold.

Attached: 1534452624827.jpg (500x374, 28K)

Attached: clippybait.png (625x626, 51K)

I own a t430, its nice, but I prefer my t440s.

I would say too expensive. I got the same model (but with an IPS screen and the i5) for about $200

These are my fun coupons for buying new toys

Im not trying to show off

sorry if my picture offended you??

stop replying to bait you cucks
just report and hide or add "t440s" to your filter

It comes with docking station and nice SSD

Mine came with a 240GB SSD as well

it didn't offend me, it just makes you look gay, isn't summer over yet?

How does it make me look gay?

I think its a pretty cool image

Once again, sorry if I offended you.

I got this badboy last week.

Attached: keyboard.jpg (5312x2988, 1.17M)

muh dude, I'm not offended by a few $100 bills, I'm sure that's probably your life savings, it just looks like same gay gansta shit is all.

I respect your opinion

but you're wrong

Must suck to be poor

Have I offended you ?

I bought it anyways, it's alright.

Thanks for looking into it

You paid twice as much as thats worth...

Why?

Terrible deal

eh, I just wanted the dock and stuff, I'm okay with it

The docks are sold for $15 - $20

>Reddit spacing

Does Latios and the Kosan faggot still post in these threads? I haven't been in these threads in years.

>reddit spacing
kys faggot

What pricerange would I be looking at for a Thinkpad for gaymen? Not new AAA games, I mean indie games with graphics like Terraria and enter the gungeon.

-is gay.

Attached: get_dabbed_on_buddy.gif (680x435, 135K)

I only paid 221 for my i5 5300U x250 with a 180GB SSD 8GB of RAM and the larger battery in addition to a windows 10 license I won't use. You overpaid m8.

Is there a way to make the resolution better on a t440? I have a T410 and I look like OP’s pic when I use it because you have to squint to see it

What's the best systemd/linux distro for an optimus T530?

recommend me a 12-13" ryzen laptop that isnt made by memenovo

Lennartbuntu

What is the last truly good Thinkpad? My vote goes to the T60.

This. T60/X60's best era of ThinkPads.

X200 and T400 are nice as well.

They're markedly inferior to the T/X60, however. In terms of build quality.

X200/T400 have significantly more features than T/X60 (ie 8GB vs 3GB RAM, better graphics, better battery life). The build quality is the same, eg they're both top notch.

Docks are cheap as fuck idiot

ignore these asswipes, that was a nice looking X230, a few extra bucks on quality isn't a bad thing

m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T540p-15-laptop-with-full-10-key-keypad-8-GB-RAM-128-GB-SSD-Intel-i7/113213125789?hash=item1a5c07349d:g:CFIAAOSwTfFbRqyN

279 a fair price for this?

I'm playing around with XTU and undervolting on my T480s
>"An error occurred : The connection with the service has been lost, your settings have been saved and the application is being shut down."
is this just XTU or is XTU crashing because my undervolt is unstable for the CPU? I have it set at -110mV right now after I got a BSOD on -120mV after 5 minutes. -115mV didn't give me a BSOD but it did give me that message that something happened and the computer will restart in 1 minute. Dunno if I'm still crossing the edge with -110mV.

I'm not sure what else would stress out the system other than boiling water my CPU. I don't want to ever reach temps of 97C on benchmarks with this thing, how the fuck is that even allowed/possible on stock configuration?

no, it's a terrible price

you need to get a t440s

for at least $138 or less

or else, you got raped

literally

sorry if I offended you

did I mention the t440s?

Attached: t440s-or-die.png (500x559, 233K)

>So of course I looked up the SGXA+ IPS LED Backlight mod for the x61s. And then shortly after I saw how pissed people were that they were getting shitty refurb panels.
Hi there. I'm the Daylight LED guy.
I have some good news: I found a small stash of HV121P01-100 that are rebuilds, but made entirely with OEM parts. They meet full original spec. Mail me if you want a screen, screen+LED or want to send the machine to me to mod.

Oh, and I'm doing my own run of 15" 4:3 QXGA IPS rebuilds for folks with a T70.

No it wasn't dumbass; it wasn't even in great condition. You're basically paying $150 for the i7

how's battery life in your x250?

Would you mind giving me your email? I may be interested.

Attached: Tadpole SPARCbook 3(SPARC).jpg (689x750, 81K)

My brand new factory direct T580 just blue screened. I literally got it less than 2 weeks ago. along the way ive noticed a few skips while watching videos on youtube and shit where it would freeze and skip as if were about to crash before recovering and being fine.

I am now concerned. I entire reason I bought a thinkpad was because I was told they were reliable and yet its given me more problems in the 2 weeks ive had it than in the first 4 years i had my old ideapad. I havnt even used it for anything out of the ordinary. I simply use it for school work and youtube mostly. the only programs I have installed on it are VLC, deluge, microsoft office, and some stuff for school.

Im thinking the problem is obviously hardware related which kind of pisses me off because the entire reason I decided to buy one new instead of refurbished was entirely to avoid these very problems.

[email protected].

I'll send something this weekend, it's the first week of Uni for me so I have a bit of housekeeping to do.

Attached: 770e_IBM.jpg (1500x1000, 229K)

take your time, I'll be around.

This was the shit, best Thinkpad ever but sadly not suitable for modern use.

Price: 4000 - 5000 dollars

It's from 2003.

CPU: 2GHz Pentium 4 mobile
(cpu is unusable in these days, at least for internet usage)

RAM: 1GB DDR1
(memory size isn't enough for the internet)

HDD: 60GB PATA HDD
(this is very bad in terms of speed if used for modern linux and EXT4 but its perfect for Windows XP)

What could you do with such a computer today?

Run Win98/2000/XP, play games from that era.
Or use Windows productivity softwares of that era. Don't fall for the meme that all software is outdated if its 15 years old and you can't share files with modern software and people using modern software. You dont need internet with a computer you use for creativity.

You can still write perfectly with 15 year old quality Word Processor and print the results with your 15 year old printer and you will have a hard copy of your efforts, no internet required.

You can still make music with 15 year old commercial, best of its own era, software.

You can make 2D graphics with A31p even today and its not even going to be bad graphics, use Photoshop CS3 with Windows XP, you already have a perfect Thinkpad A31p Flexview screen with 1600x1200 resolution and very great color output.

Of course you can also use it to print labels for label printer to stick to post cards or something, you can burn CD's if there is any usage for CD's in these days.

One last thing: A31p contains quality ANALOG video capture device built in. Just feed it an s-video signal (it will autodetect PAL/SECAM/NTSC and use Windows XP movie maker as a capture software, WinXP has the driver built in for this philips device, no other known operating system will support it though)

Attached: a31p.jpg (1376x1271, 171K)

Because everyone is asleep I guess I'll keep asking about the x61.
There are usually about three different keyboard manufacturers for the island style keyboards, I don't really know what the deal is now.
So far my favorite keyboard I've tried is the Acer switches for the T510/T410 up until the 30 series.
But basically I can't find any good information about the X61.
Does anyone have any idea of where you would be able to buy specific keyboards of each manufacturer? I would assume that the FRU number would identify them but I really haven't been able to find any information on this specific model. Any ideas?

Attached: IBM_RS6000_N40(PowerPC).jpg (672x750, 95K)

Bought this configured T420s last week as my very first thinkpad and also first linux machine, absolutely love it. Tried debian xfce but it was ugly and slow. So i went for arch and used Luke’s LARBS which i totally adore and im just happy to learn the i3 etc.
Im fine with the specs and even though you might say its shit, it works for me. But for christmas id like to upgrade some parts, what would you suggest?

Attached: F52BD74E-9313-45C0-8EDB-4E5A082B5630.jpg (640x761, 130K)

X61 used two manufacturers for US keyboards, ANMB and Chicony. I like the Chicony best, others tend to prefer NMB. Chicony is easiest ot work on and mod, has a slightly more stable feel.

42T3531 is NMB and 42T3467 is Chicony IIRC. You can also spot the diff in pics of the back; Chicony had three rubber 'dots' that served as bumpers around the trackpoint module, NMB had four.

s/ANMB/NMB/

If you think you need it then RAM is always a good option. I would like to get a new SSD myself and 128 is a bit on the small side.
Thanks, that helps out a bunch. I have the NMB and I would agree with you, I tend to prefer the Chicony switches better.

did Chicony still make the kaybord on model x200 laptop?

LADS
I have gone full autism with one of my X200's. Here's the full list
>chink battery that supports charge thresholds, currently at around 6900-7000mAh and I have it stop charging at 80% for longevity.
>Completely cleaned every nook and cranny of the machine with 90% OH and qtips + a toothbrush
>removed all the keys and gave the keyboard and keys several wash and disinfecting cycles, then left to dry for 2 weeks.
>repasted with noctua NTH1, tinted the heatsink as well. My idle temps are in the low 30C, never goes above 50C during normal use, and never above 65-70 even when I ran doos ex through wine on it. New thermal pad as well
>expresscard USB 3.0 card so I don't wear out the native port
>ugreen DAC cable so I don't wear out the audio jack and to get better audio kwality
>SSD
>debian sid installed with a proper FDE + LUKS setup
>fstrim timer running every week
>running latest i3 gaps from git
>massive i3config with a shit load of scripts, keybinds and rice
>trying out ungoogled chromium as the browser
>brand new nipple
All that's left to do is to libreboot it and the rest of my memepads that are compatible. I'll do that next summer though since I don't have the time to read up on it and I can't really justify buying a pi since I will have literally nothing to do with it after I finish librebooting everything.

Attached: thinkpad-x41.jpg (1200x795, 77K)

NMB makes on, can't remember if Alps or Chicony made the other.

The keyboard scisssors actually varied pretty significantly between all the generations, and if you're worried about the feel of Chicony vs NMB, the difference between an X61 NMB and an X200 NMB is going to be just as great.

A real Jow Forumsentooman
Seriously cool stuff, please post pics when it's all done and complete.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I cleaned and relubed the fan with mineral oil as well. Also upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM
It's basically done other than librebooting, I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Here's my full list of thinkpads by the way, this X200 is the very last one and my only CCFL X200:
Full list:
>Latitude E6440 with 1600x900, AMD gpu
>Elitebook 8470p 1600x900 almost mint condition
>Elitebook 8470p 1366x768
>*MAIN COMPUTER* Elitebook 8470p 1366x768 8 gigs of RAM, SSD as boot drive and ultrabay storage drive. Was 90 bucks.
>T60 fukken mint. I literally can't find another one like it on ebay. Needs a 64bit CPU and libreboot installed.
>T61 first memepad ever, was main computer for 2 years, 2013-2015. It was also my first real memepad bargin, 20 bucks w/shipping after a partial refund.
>T500 with a cracked base near the hinge, I'll fix it eventually. And flash libreboot. 1680x1050
>X200, mint condition. I love it but putting any wear on it would be sad. LED display
>X200 LED Somehow found another one in 99% as good condition as the first
>*DEAD* X201 RIP was my daily driver from 2015 to 2017.
>T420 1600x900
>T530 1600x900 with nvidia
>X220T multitouch. Needs a repaste
>X200T LED, single touch, near mint condition
>X200T LED Also pretty flawless
>T400 CCFL
>T400 CCFL
>X200s, needed a decent amount of work, including a mobo swap to get it working again. 1440x900@50 fucking hertz why. Still really adorable and I really like it for some reason. Can get 7 hours on linux with a 9cell easy.
>X200T CCFL
>X200T CCFL
>X200 CCFL.

Attached: transparentthinkpad.jpg (936x527, 50K)

X61t at 1400x1050 was also 50Hz, was fine tb h.

Wasn't til almost a decade after did we start getting better screens on smaller laptops.

It's fine for web browsing, 30fps youtube and 24fps movies, but trying to play any emulated game is going to be a stuttery mess.
Not that the X200s can handle anything above snes9x or bsnes performance but still.
It's very nice for tiling WMs though, it's almost a little hard to go back to 1280x800 after using it

>X61t at 1400x1050 was also 50Hz, was fine tb h.
>It's fine for web browsing, 30fps youtube and 24fps movies, but trying to play any emulated game is going to be a stuttery mess.
So flash a 60Hz EDID onto it.

how

>50Hz
Are all the screens 50Hz? i remember this user from a previous thread

Yeah I read someone's 60hz theoretical mod on thinkforum a while back.
There's gotta be some way to do it.
>wanting more screentearing
I'm pretty content with the 50hz thing desu.

>There's gotta be some way to do it.
I can tell you how to do it in Linux. All you need is the EDID file.

I feel like writing you to complain about my life, is it ok with you bro? I seriously hate my life and will love your input on recent events

sure if you're OK with me never answering email.

I bought a used L520 for $100 roo bucks.

Humongous but feelsgoodman.jpeg

How is the display on the T480/T480s? Can it be upgraded? (FHD -> WQHD)

Found a cheap one locally but I'm scared the FHD display will look like complete garbage after using a MB pro retina for years. Even the WQHD display seems shitty.

Hey now, that's not me. I'm still interested in the panel.

I'm sure this was often asked:

Why is the Thinkpad-Family so complex?
I see no logic.
I suppose the T-part is what I'm looking for; but then there are a lot of 'T4something' and now I discovered that they have letters after the T$number$letter (eg.T440p)

TL,DR: What is the logic behind the TP-nomenclature? I would very much appreciate a link to an explaining.
Thank you!

p for performance oriented
u for ultrabook oriented thus weaker
i for i3 variants
s for söyboys who like to suck dick and swallow semen on an hourly basis

thank you;

so "i" is never i5/i7?

Please explain the "s"-Version better

Thanks for your time.

is there any sense behind the number-nomenclature?

screen size/cpu gen/doesn't matter
x220 = 12.5" intel 2nd gen cpu
t540 = 15.6" intel 4th gen cpu

wow, cool, thank you for the enlightment!

can I get a list on Thinkpads which have replaceable CPUs?

I mean 12" models:
x40/x60/x200/x220 etc

does any of them have replaceable cpu?

Didn't think it was. Relax!

>nothing manmade will ever fail

Just send it back to the seller you mong. If it stopped working as soon as you got it there’s obviously something wrong with it and they should give you one that works

Xs have soldered cpus.
no idea about Es or Ls and you'll get called a faggot if you have one anyway
Ws and Ts have replaceable cpus unless it's an u, s or the normal t440 which is an u in disguise
Nothing newer than haswell has replaceable cpus.

Is this dude retarded i thought you cant put a quad core cpu in a t410 youtube.com/watch?v=NhDucuwN22o he also doesn't state the cpu in the video so is it fake?

So these all will have the replaceable CPU?

T400, T410, T420, T430
W500, W510, W520, W530
W700.. lol no such thing to be found anywhere

ye
W540, T540p and T440p as well

Getting a T460s lads. Exited as fuck.

I was going to buy a T440s but newer Thinkpads are honestly better, Lenovo really did fuck up with the *4-*5 gen.

L420, L520, L430 and L530 too

They're cheap versions of the T-series.

i are often cheaper models sold to corporations or students.

s models are slimmer and lighter at the expense of expandability and thermals.

Thank you!

Anyone tried to put 16GB or 32GB into x220? Would it work?

I only have USB2 ports on my X220. How do I proceed if I want to use my USB3 external hard drive?
Each port does not deliver enough current for the hard drive to function properly

>Guaranteed against DOA. You **MUST** contact me within 72 hours of delivery confirmation if DOA or it will NOT be honored, beyond that? sold ?as is.? No warranty or support.

Sounds sketchy as fuck to me, no warranty or support, pass on it, and yes the price is just a tad high considering no warranty. I suppose you could get the SquareTrade thing for $53 more and get a replacement or your money back but the $53 will be gone forever, it's up to you.

wut
even my X61t can power up my usb 3.0 external hdd