I’m going to switch from being a lifelong Windows user to OpenBSD. How fucked am I?

I’m going to switch from being a lifelong Windows user to OpenBSD. How fucked am I?

Attached: 2C75781D-0FFC-4960-8A5B-88F919B1BE7E.jpg (550x412, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SliWxTuoZEw
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_OpenBSD/Install_Guide
openbsdjumpstart.org/
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=153254422009614&w=2
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160911231712
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

freeBSD is a better more obvious choice
openBSD became completely incompatible with win software, so it's a quite idiotic decision unless you're a developer of some sort

join #baot on irc.rizon.net to talk about openbsd

>freeBSD is a better more obvious choice
only if you are a boy that wants to remove your pee pee

>openBSD became completely incompatible with win software
what do you mean?

youtube.com/watch?v=SliWxTuoZEw

sorry mr kool haccxor, I don't give a damn about programming or other amazing nerd activities
>Wine & OpenBSD code have since drifted apart (irreconcilably for the foreseeable future)

I was under the impression that wine support never existed on openbsd in the first place, due to it requiring a dangerous kernel feature.

are you homo?

It existed once, it was removed because of your reason, and then they drifted apart so much that a patch would be a pain in the arse

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Literal retard here.

From a completely practical point of view, what advantage is there to using a BSD OS such as FreeBSD or TrueOS rather than a Linux distro (for everyday desktop computing)?

>Literal retard
For you, there is no difference except less software and hardware support on bsd.

Faster security updates.

openbsd disabled hyperthreading... pretty sure it just runs on one thread these days actually

iirc they developed openssh rite?
thats pretty fucking great, its the industry standard and its open source, if there is a team to rely on its openBSD devs

Uninstall OpenBSD and install Gentoo.

Why not both?
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_OpenBSD/Install_Guide

Attached: Gentoo_OpenBSD_logo.png (1280x1024, 816K)

Not fucked at all. I did the same thing. Well, technically, I moved from Windows to FreeBSD, than FreeBSD to OpenBSD.
FreeBSD's documentation might be easier for a newb like you. You'll discover how powerful, useful, and fun your computer can be, with BSD Unix.

> doesn't give a damn about programming
> wants to install *bsd

you have to go back, biomass

open source is much better if you are a programmer. of course if you just jump in the deep end and are patient enough to fix problems you have with your OS OpenBSD might just teach how to be a programmer.

>I’m going to switch from being a lifelong Windows user to OpenBSD.
But why?

Good choice.

Don't listen to this guy, openbsd is more ready for the desktop. If you're trying to run a bunch of windows software why are you installing another OS in the first place.

It actually works instead of bugging out like the piece of shit that is linux. enjoy your """audio""" and bug regression

>worst of both worlds
litelarilly why?

>not knowing the difference between multithreading and hyperthreading

>How fucked am I?

Depends on how well you can read their FAQ and how comfortable you are reading man pages.

openbsdjumpstart.org/

Attached: ppuf800X725.gif (800x725, 293K)

how many more meme OS's do we need

They disabled HT because of a security hole, but you can easily undo do that change and use your fake cores if you need them so much.

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=153254422009614&w=2

openbsd is the antimeme os

you wont even boot it up
stop lying to yourself

>openbsd is more ready for the desktop.
It sure is!

Attached: openbsd-6-1-screenshot4.png (1024x768, 184K)

Well, the userland of obsd is pretty simple and well documented. If you are fine with pretty basic functionality of your pc it's actually a good choice. Browser, openoffice. What else you need? wifi support may be a drawback for a laptop user.
Otherwise - my mother (who is 69) has OpenBSD installed on her 2007 desktop.

guys systemctl doesn't work
what should I do?

It's like you left your hot white wife that does everything for you and sucks your cock at will to a skinny old cunt that makes you do everything.

BSD on a desktop is retarded
either get a normie distro or stay on windows

Det kommer med cwm, twm, och fvwm. Men du läste förstås inte dokumentationen.

Och, "mer", du har svårt att läsa förstår jag. FreeBSD installerar inte ens X by default.

>Otherwise - my mother (who is 69) has OpenBSD installed on her 2007 desktop.
Does she like it?

She fucking loves it when Theo DeRaad spergs on her in the mailinglist after asking for help

nice pasta

Should have read the manpages. Guys like Theo keep the cancer out. You go enjoy OS X.

Post desktop when you are done, OP.

Not as fucked as your wife, cuckboi.

i hate how this is a pasta, openbsd is actually nice.

do they use the cancerous systemd?
do they have chrome in their repos?
answer me pls

So I see you're running gnome.

>Theo DeRaad spergs on her in the mailinglist after asking for help
link please

are you dense?

>’m going to switch from being a lifelong Windows user to OpenBSD. How fucked am I?
Almost as much as Theo's sense of humour.

It "works" because you have barely any software to break.
Linux audio issues are due to pebkac - also pulseaudio is completely optional.

>pulseaudio is completely optional.

Yeah as optional as systemd and all the software that it requires it now as a hard dependency.

You are not fooling anyone Red Hat shill.

Systemd only exists on GNU/Linux. Yes, they have both Firefox and Chromium.

>works on my machine!!!
kek linux is now windows

Well I’ve always wanted to try some kind of Linux/Not Windows or Mac OS and after not being able to decide on what it seemed like the only one that wasn’t spyware and/or gay

what hardware do you have? openbsd will either support it or it wont, and if you have a brand new computer it wont. are you using wifi?

Name something with a hard dependency on pulseaudio.
Gnome and KDE suites can both install fine without it. Steam doesn't even need it.

Firefox unless you don't want audio in your browser and before you go with the "but you can implement some shitty hack yourself..."
>Keep in mind that if you do this you will not get updates from Mozilla as it will be a third-party build.

So no fuck you.

Also BlueZ 5 since 2014 dropped support for alsa so the solution for now (until someone updates some bluez-alsa project for BlueZ 5) is to use PulseAudio.

I don't know if this was fixed, but the fact remains that for many years you were required to have pulseaudio installed for some basic functionally to work.

Holy shit, I didn't knew they did this.

Based as fuck.

Attached: 64564645.png (749x923, 161K)

You'll use it for a day and realize it sucks cock compared to Windows.

the fix is to use openbsd instead

No, it was just overly vague. I haven't heard of openbsd ever supporting wine, so the phrasing didn't make sense.

I haven't had audio issues on Linux since Pulse was first making its rounds.

like, the transition to everyone deciding to use PulseAudio was fucking awful and I'd be killing it thrice a day (and I still have no fucking idea how or why every distro decided to pick that shit up)
but that's been like a decade, and audio has actually just worked on every machine I've installed Linux on in years

I did that a long time ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160911231712

>comfortable
>reading manpages
unix retards at their finest, just make an os that actually works for once

>muh simplicity
Daily reminder that Modern UNIX is literally a Multics clone. And that's good.

t. nigger

that wasn't even my point

What's your point then?
>inb4 nigger

do freebsd instead. really linux is a much better every day OS. BSD is only made for servers no one really uses it as a daily desktop.