How do vega processors behave on Linux? Are drivers ok?

How do vega processors behave on Linux? Are drivers ok?
I am buying new PC soon but I am using Linux exclusively.
Or should I just avoid the shit with integrated GPUs?
Also how do these processors work with dGPU? Do they use the APU when dGPU is present?

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-3-APU.png (656x656, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerbase.de/thema/prozessor/rangliste/
cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A10-7850K-APU-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/2133vs3186
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-raven-ridge-cpu,5472.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The APU doesn't work on a lot of outdated kernals.

The 16 lanes is shared with NVME on the APUs so you only get 8 lanes for dGPU.

This is the state of Linux and AMD.

so generally its better to go with some non APU ryzen + nvidia GPU ?

I think most of ryzen stuff was added in 4.15, but I could be wrong. But point is, its not super bleeding edge. Most current year distros already probably support.
Having said that, there is not a big difference in performance between Ryzen 3 and A10, you are only getting like a 15% boost.

wait you're saying there is only 15% boost between ryzen 3 2200g with vega and A10?

The dilemma Im experiencing is basically should I go with integrated graphics or not? (even if im planning to have some medium dGPU)

What are the CPUs with iGPUs good for? Why choose them? Are they just complicating stuff?

+50% in apps, +70% for the integrated graphics

computerbase.de/thema/prozessor/rangliste/

integrated graphics just comes down to price/performance ratio. If you are a gayyymer, then you probably need discreet video. If you just want to browse web, watch videos, etc then integrated will give you best price/performance use

Raw cpu is like 15-20% boost max
cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A10-7850K-APU-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/2133vs3186

do integrated graphics work with dGPU for better performance or they are mutually exclusive when working?

>APU
Who the fuck uses an APU? fuck outta here redditfag

Your monitor is physically connected to either the iGPU or dGPU, so from a graphics perspective they are mutually exclusive. However if you plan to use the GPUS for their processing power (ie use something like CUDA / OpenCL) then you can utilize both.
Anyway, just start with iGPU, you can always buy a $50 dGPU at a later date if performance isn't what you want. But for lite gaming, and shitposting, a dGPU is absolutely fine.

fuckno. never go nyidia on linux.

Attached: r_1236135_vmd5X.jpg (471x308, 24K)

thanks, im not a gamer so thats why i am thinking about iGPU for starters and i think that iGPU can be enough for some old games if i ever decide to play them for old times sake
the only thing that remanis is to investigate how do these new techs behave on linux systems

didnt expect this
so which GPU to go with that is somewhere on par with 1050Ti?

full Raven Ridge support is due for the next Linux kernel update 4.19. I'd wait for that an read up on how well it does.

You can get it working if you want to compile a current kernel or use a bleeding edge distro.
6 months and it'll be in the slower distros like Ubuntu and Mint.
Two years if you like Debian.

good thing im on Memejaro

Got one, still kinda sucks. Random lock ups and boot failures. But each point release it has been getting better.

>But each point release it has been getting better.
you talking about kernel?
also would you go with nvidia or amd GPU on linux?

It works on Windows.

>nvidia GPU
>Linux
No, retard. If you're on Linux the best experience is going full AMD. nVidia has unstable proprietary drivers and terribly performing open source drivers. AMD GPUs work fine out of the box and are already in the kernel. If you think you'll have a shit experience/performance then install the latest kernel manually.

I'm using 2400G on linux. In 4.15 it kept freezing now and then, depending on distro and precise version. I installed mint initially (with 4.15) and even with the freezing it was good enough to install gentoo from. Now on 4.18 and I haven't had a freeze since early 4.17 or late 4.16.
Games perform decently (1080p), I've played warthunder (45-60fps on medium, opengl - devs are working on vulkan, should be much better), WoT 100-120fps on low (w/ dxvk), PES17 seems to run smoothly on high...
Definitely amd, oss drivers just integrate much better with rest of the system and usually don't have stupid dependency restrictions for particular Xorg versions and shit. The only drawback is OpenGL drivers which aren't as performant as they could be - but that isn't a problem if you run games through wine with dxvk/gallium nine.

Just wondering, what do you use a dedicated videocard for on Linux when you don't game?

>No, retard
ok thanks
your info is valuable regardless
thanks for the first hand info, appreciate it really

>so which GPU to go with that is somewhere on par with 1050Ti?

RX 570
Pretty much for the same price while outperforming the 1050ti
If you're lucky you can even find a 4GB RX580 for the same price as the 1050ti like I did, quite happy with it, overkill for me desu.

Leaves you with more RAM, gives better video performance and lets you use more monitors.

it's great if you use at least kernel 4.15, though newer is better
GPU switching is done with PRIME on a per-process granularity wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

wow you're an idiot

as an owner of both systems I can vouch that Ryzen is at least 50% faster

later APUs do away with the CMT of bulldozer/piledriver though. Those 4 cores are all real cores. It's still a pretty weak cpu but I prefer them to similarly priced Intel.

>PRIME
oh christ not again this shit
i had a laptop with nvidia optimus tech
what a shitshow nightmare
never again

That's in a single benchmark you pleb

that's an optimus problem
I have a laptop with AMD APU and GPU and PRIME worked flawlessly

Why do you need prime? As far as I know there hasn't been any laptops at all that ships with both APU and a Vega GPU. It's either one or the other since the APUs are capable enough to match most of the low to mid tier mobile shit that Nvidia vomits onto laptops.

why are nvidia such evil fucks
they even released first the proprietary drivers for linux and yet they sucked at everything

typing this while there is a useless GT540M under my fingers just taking up the space

>both APU and a Vega GPU
are these things different? i thought APU is just a synonym for integrated graphics which in AMDs case is vega
or you are talking about vega dedicated gpu? sorry

>cpubenchmark

Here is a test that also has a A10-9700:

tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-raven-ridge-cpu,5472.html

For example, cinebench 15
singlecore: 93->145 (+56%)
multicore: 308->574 (+86%)

i'm talking about the vega dedicated GPU shipping with an APU
The reason why you need optimus with Nvidia is because the laptop needs to switch between the intel gpu and the nvidia gpu depending on the task. This is done to save battery. If all you're doing is watching some videos or rendering basic elements, then it will be using the intel gpu. On the other hand, if you start a game, it would start to access the much more powerful shaders of the Nvidia GPU. As far as I know, there isn't a need to do this with most Ryzen laptops since there aren't any that ship APUs along with a dGPU.

>Why do you need prime?
For rendering on one GPU and sending the output to display on another.
>As far as I know there hasn't been any laptops at all that ships with both APU and a Vega GPU.
And? It's a generic framework that supports any combination of GPUs (with strong caveats on the Nvidia side). It can switch between Intel iGPU and AMD dGPU too.
>It's either one or the other since the APUs are capable enough to match most of the low to mid tier mobile shit that Nvidia vomits onto laptops.
Yes, but that's a completely different issue of dGPU economics.
PRIME is a generic framework that provides a certain service. It doesn't care about the reasons why.

I'm saying that a Ryzen laptop is most likely not going to need PRIME if it just has one GPU (the one in the APU) since there isn't a second GPU to send it to in the first place.

I thought AMD's Linux driver had better OpenGL performance than Windows?

It seems you guys convinced me to go with AMD CPU and AMD GPU on Linux

It's always the least head-ache inducing choice with Linux although Intel processors and graphics play nice too. The only uncooperative company has been Nvidia so far. So much so that Linus Torvalds himself gave a personal "fuck you" once.

I'm running a 2400G on Ubuntu 18.04. Had to update to kernel 4.17 to get it working right, but works great. it'll work perfect on Ubuntu 18.10 when it comes out.

I have a 2400G and for it to boot properly I have to have the AMDGPU module either built in the kernel or in the initramfs and the following kernel boot options "iommu=on amd_iommu=on video=efifb:off"

*iommu=pt
Can't believe I mystyped that.

How do you find it? I found the CPU to be meaty, and was also pleasantly suprised by how well the GPU works.

those apus have acceptable performance on ps3 emulators

this is good news for poorfags (like me)
i mean you get decent CPU and GPU for like 150 bucks

That's because the windows opengl drivers are worse. Notice how every windows game uses directx and not opengl.

Did you not read the OP?

I have a Ryzen 5 2500u + Vega 8 laptop and I haven't had a single issue on the 4.17 kernel

>Do they use the APU when dGPU is present?

If it still work like the previous Kaveri&co APUs then no, the iGPU isn't used.

without a dedicated GPU you can't use any virtually any linux OS .iso file that is available on the websites except some bleeding edges like gentoo, arch.
If you update the kernel to 4.17 somehow before installing it then you should be able to run

Is that the Lenovo IdeaPad? Is so were you able to update RAM or is it soldiered? I'm interested in this laptop but want 16G ram upgrade.

if you go dedicated gpu any iGPU will be fine as it's irrelevant. but at that point you might as well go dedicated cpu for ryzen (non APU) because you'll never use it.

neither beta / testing nor stable boots with raven ridge currently.

basically only gentoo boots and special snowflake arch builds. chances are you black screen yourself though
best to go with a dedicated gpu and never have issues.

I don't do anything really on it since I use it for my Linux desktop and have an extra GPU that I passthrough to a Windows VM for gaming. The benchmarks I ran on it were pretty good tho and it's performance on kdenlive was also pretty good.

Newest mint mate worked for me well enough to be usable as a gentoo installer with persistent data storage, and if I managed to install newer kernel on it, it would be perfectly usable. Maybe I was just lucky, or it depends on mobo too.

Fine, just use a newer kernel.