/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534855828442.jpg (519x630, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mirageiv.sourceforge.net/
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
archlinux.org/packages/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Querying_package_databases
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Installing_packages
l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=xfce&maintainer=&flagged=
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xfce#Installation
aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=icecat&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go
aur.archlinux.org/icecat-git.git
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/package_name.tar.gz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Could anyone recommenced an image viewer thats as fast as feh but has folder browsing capabilities?

w3m-img and ranger

>w3m-img
This is not an image viewer, it is a terminal viewer
>ranger
This is a file manager
I discreetly said an image viewer that mimics feh but with folder browsing capabilities

mirageiv.sourceforge.net/

is debian sid reliable as a desktop? or should I stay on stable with backports? I'm already on sid btw

Slow as fuck, nothing like feh

discreet != discrete

What's the most minimal distro that still has a graphical install?
I've successfully installed Arch before, but I really don't want to repeat the experience.

How do you install a package on arch? (specifically, first searching a package you desire to install, then installing it?) I managed to get through an install with the help of a guide on youtube, most of the stuff I understand but some stuff I didn't I'm guessing it's not that necessary to understand since a lot of it is config stuff that you'll never have to change again.

Anyway, I'm trying to install vim via 'sudo pacman -Sy vim' but I get a bunch of errors.

I tried googling, apparently it has something to do with mirrors? Have no clue what that is since im totally new to the arch ecosystem, installing other packages like Xorg-server and stuff seemed to work fine though in the installation guide.

>not /fug/
Fug off

And I also forgot to mention, is it possible to run graphical applications such as firefox without having a desktop environment? If I just get a windows manager like GDM or something, is it possible to use a mouse if I type a command that launches firefox in the terminal? how would the mouse work exactly

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
try this! it almost feels like genuine autism

If you have a window manager that means X is running so you're good. You can even use Firefox as your sole X application, without using any window manager or anything at all (obviously that means you won't be able to have any other windows).

If you're talking about using the framebuffer instead, then I don't know

I'm not installing Amazontu.

slitaz

>first searching a package you desire to install, then installing it
pacman -Ss
pacman -S
pacman -Sy updates the repo db's, and pacman -Syu updates everything

>I'm trying to install vim via 'sudo pacman -Sy vim' but I get a bunch of errors.
what errors? that's a valid way to install something
>apparently it has something to do with mirrors? Have no clue what that is since im totally new to the arch ecosystem
mirrors are common to any large-ish distro, they're just additional copy of the repos, hosted on different servers
you should check your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and put mirrors from your country at the top of the file for the best speeds. pacman will download packages from the first mirror that works in that list

you can search online with
archlinux.org/packages/
or in terminal with
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Querying_package_databases

Don't use the youtube tutorials, you need to use the wiki. Youtube tutorials will break your system eventually. Don't blindly follow advice

As for installing a package
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Installing_packages
you should be using "pacman -S vim"
not -Sy. I don't know where you got the -Sy from, and if you don't know either, then you probably shouldn't be running it.

So try "sudo pacman -S vim" and tell us what errors you get.

>is it possible to run graphical applications such as firefox without having a desktop environment?
yes, you technically only need X running, though you'll have a hard time using most graphical programs without at least a window manager
>If I just get a windows manager like GDM or something
GDM is a display manager, not a window manager
>is it possible to use a mouse if I type a command that launches firefox in the terminal?
yes, but without a window manager, you won't have mouse control over windows sizes and positions
>how would the mouse work exactly
as normal inside of an application window, just nothing to click on outside of them without a WM

Just settled on kde plasma after messing with a few DEs (gnome3/i3/sway/cinnamon) after switching from OSX and holy shit it's comfy. It feels like the best parts from Windows 7 and OSX on top of linux goodness. It's has a clean consistent UI and has a decent dark theme out of the box. Definitely give it a try if you haven't used kde >5.

I don't have anything interesting to add I just wanted to share, none of my friends would really care.

>not -Sy. I don't know where you got the -Sy from
not him, but installing something with just -S is a more advanced option than with -Sy, as it depends on the user knowing that what they're installing is available in the repos still
if you install a bunch of stuff in a short period of time, then you should consider just -S for subsequent installs, but otherwise it's good practice to use -Sy
using -S when the repos are out of date can lead to 404's (packages are newer on the server than in your db), and if you have mirrors with older versions, you might end up with an older version

try cloveros

I just checked man pacman and looked at a bunch of options but can never remember it all since I just started using arch so I just do -Sy for everything but yeah

>what errors? that's a valid way to install something
"error: failed retrieveing file 'package name info' from some.domain.here.com : could not resolve host

I'm a little confused the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager, from what I understand Xorg-server and all the other X stuff is the application which relays software instructions to hardware, so it's a pre requisite to window managers which display the graphical stuff, but I dont really understand what desktop environments are, is it what gives us the interfaceability with the mouse and stuff?

>So try "sudo pacman -S vim" and tell us what errors you get.

"error: failed retrieveing file 'package name info' from some.domain.here.com : could not resolve host

Yeah I can see why youtube videos are bad, but I found that there are a lot of steps in the installation wiki that arent exactly necessary because its there by default and it doesn't even tell you that. There are a lot of stuff thats really specific and I don't know how you'd figure out if you dont have some deep level knowledge to begin with (imagine if you didnt understand what bootloaders/disk partitions etc) were, how could you even install arch?

this.
is a simpleton

Stable with backports if it has the packages you need.

You dont have internet, try actually reading your error

>"error: failed retrieveing file 'package name info' from some.domain.here.com : could not resolve host
either the mirror is down, or pacman can't reach the internet in general
can you access the internet otherwise?

I'm so disappointed SumatraPDF is not available for Linux.
Any other light PDF reader that offers similar experience?

What window manager should I get? I was considering getting the Xfce DE but judging from your answer that you can just run stuff without a DE I'd like a window manager that just lets me run icecat or just typical gui stuff... not looking to play games so don't need something complex

qpdfview is alright

On another note. If you're cabled you don't have an IP. Try:
# dhcpcd -b

This asks your router for an IP.

i'm not really sure you'd actually want a WM
a WM alone is really just that, it lets you move and resize windows, *maybe* comes with a launcher (xfce's wm does not), and /that's it/
i use openbox personally, what you should get depends on what you want, something i can't tell you

-- oh, i suppose if i were to give a generic "light wm to try basically by itself", then have a look at IceWM
it has an integrated panel and launcher, it looks and functions similarly to windows 95, so most people will have no trouble using it
you'll want to install and run menumaker as well to fill in it's menus though, otherwise it's all manual, icewm is pretty old fashioned

Oh I didn't realize you have to rerun the command netctl start /directory/ every time, dumb mistake sorry I managed to install vim

Is there an easier version of running 'netctl start /directory/' because I can see how it will get annoying running it everytime on boot, but not a big deal I suppose.

Also general question, im kinda lost with all the niche commands, like is it just something you gradually pick up or is there a easy beginner guide to read to get most of the stuff down. I'm not familiar with the unix environment, although I have used it a few times to make C stuff.

Optimally what I'd want is to just be able to type 'firefox' and have that window being able to interfaceable as a gui, using the mouse, resizing etc, I just find the idea of desktop environments pretty pointless, if everything can be run at the cli then theres no point adding so much useless crap on your pc if you could just type the cli command to run certain things, its just the problem that certain applications need the use of a mouse and such, which is why I don't know what to do to get that working

That's the magic of arch. Start bash scripting it in, or make it as a service to auto start at boot. When I boot up my laptop, it opens up with a window where I can select which network I want to connect to. I use wpa_supplicant and have the config files for each network that I often use stored in a directory. The program just reads whats in that directory and displays it to me, where I can just type 1 and hit enter for my home network, or 2 and hit enter for a school network.

>Optimally what I'd want is to just be able to type 'firefox' and have that window being able to interfaceable as a gui, using the mouse, resizing etc, I just find the idea of desktop environments pretty pointless
even if you use a terminal most of the time, it still makes sense to use a graphical terminal emulator from in X, you can do more with it from X than from a VT console
>Is there an easier version of running 'netctl start /directory/' because I can see how it will get annoying running it everytime on boot, but not a big deal I suppose.
just run
sudo systemctl enable dhcpd
and it'll start on boot

If you use X only to run firefox, you aren't going to be able to have a terminal going at the same time unless you switch tty
I would recommend a lightweight WM, check out l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

All PDF viewers on Linux are lightweight except Adobe itself. If you want clickybuttans GUI, Okular is best. If you prefer vi keys, Zathura is best.

dis·creet
diˈskrēt/
adjective
intentionally unobtrusive.
"a discreet cough"
synonyms: unobtrusive, inconspicuous, subtle, low-key, understated, subdued, muted, soft, restrained
"discreet lighting"

listen buddy, your best best is to use w3m-img and ranger, or you're going to have to go with some gtk+ bloatware

>w3m-img
>This is not an image viewer, it is a terminal viewer
>>ranger
>This is a file manager
>I discreetly said an image viewer that mimics feh but with folder browsing capabilities

sid is OK for desktop, just remember to read what apt upgrade/dist-upgrade does before pressing enter.
Regressions are extremely rare, what's more common is that the distribution is incomplete for reasons like ffmpeg was upgraded but the media player software depending on it are not. These are usually "fixed" within a day.

write it yourself then since you have a very discrete idea of what you want faggot

Linux is a kernel.

Linux is the Linux kernel with a userland that allows you to use Linux. It is a working environment

gnu coreutils, bash, and an init are not linux

>I'm a little confused the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager, from what I understand Xorg-server and all the other X stuff is the application which relays software instructions to hardware, so it's a pre requisite to window managers which display the graphical stuff, but I dont really understand what desktop environments are, is it what gives us the interfaceability with the mouse and stuff?
The whole X server thing: provides the graphical capabilities, including drawing to the screen, mouse support, clipboards, and some stuff like that. (For completeness, worth mentioning that optionally - but in many cases - a program called the compositor handles the actual drawing to the screen, while programs draw into the compositor's "virtual screen", which gives more flexibility).

A window manager: provides individual windows for programs (or the compositor) to draw into. That way, individual programs can just draw into the entire area assigned to them (which, like I said, could be the whole screen provided by the X server, without going through any window managers - but usually you'll want to be able to run more than one single program, so you use something that gives out individual "windows" to programs to draw into and lets you manage them at will).

A DE (desktop environment) is nothing more than a collection of programs. At a minimum every DE includes a window manager (usually their own), but almost every one also comes with a panel (also known as taskbar or dock depending on styling and functionality), and a bunch of other stuff meant to integrate seamlessly together in much the same way as you expect on e.g. Windows - so things like a wallpaper setter, clock/calendar widget, application launcher, file manager, etc. Some also include a compositor, many include additional stuff like a terminal emulator, or for the larger ones (e.g. KDE) even a web browser and stuff like that (e.g. Konqueror, Kate).

Thanks mates, I'll check'em out.

Check out mupdf first.

GNU less + lesspipe.

And without linux they would be nothing.

You cant do shit with just a kernel. Any asshat saying linux is just a kernel is of stallman level autism.

Linux is the Linux kernel + a userland and a working environment

Show me the linux userland.

but linux is specifically /just/ the kernel
I know that we call the conglomerate of all the software in userland 'linux' but it's just not correct. GNU/Linux isn't even a correct term for it.
What to call the group of software such as X, bash, GNU coreutils, systemD/OpenRC, and the linux kernel?

Systemd

pdf(){
pdftotext -layout "${1:?}" - \
| less -r
}

Thanks that cleared it up, also talking about DE's I noticed in one of the youtube guides they said that before you install a DE you'll need the window manager corresponding to the DE (as you said usually their own) but the way you've worded it it seems like its the opposite, that by installing a DE it will install a corresponding WM.

Also, I'm very confused by the package manager, like for Xfce, you can't just do 'pacman -Sy xfce' since xfce is comprised of packages rather than a single package.

How would you just get "The Xfce DE", cause looking here archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=xfce&maintainer=&flagged= is really confusing

yeah if you type pacman -Sy xfce4 it's going to install everything you need. (IIRC it will ask you about some of the superfluous stuff)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xfce#Installation

distro

meta packages are packages of packages.
woah

One thing though, when I start a new terminal after i've called startfxce4 the alignment of the text is weird, its overlapping and doesn't display correctly, why is this the case? everything else seems to be fine

did you install a metapackage or the bare minimum?
maybe try installing the recommended fonts?

where do people get clover os anime wallpapers from? I want some with really big titties

hey friends
I made some wallpapers that yall might enjoy

1/4

Attached: archascii.png (1920x1200, 37K)

>2013

2/4

Attached: debianascii.png (1920x1200, 41K)

I know where to find normal anime wallpapers, I mean specific ones themed after cloveros, like pic rel.

Attached: f12cec2053b674793ed349e1eda6b1ae53096256725751d83dd6d9e3fe33d4b0.png (3840x1080, 1.87M)

while on testing if a dependency is upgraded but not the package then you have to wait up to 10 days for the fix and minimum 2 days. So between testing or sid is better I guess is better sid? Lol if it ever breaks I'm going back, whatever is not like I have anything important, just delete my configs and reinstall stable on a clean root partition

3/4

Attached: suseascii.png (1920x1200, 79K)

Not sure, only did sudo pacman -Sy xfce4 xfce4-goodies, so bare minimum I think.

Whats the most common font people use for the Xfce terminal? I just want something standard and easy fix

Attached: windowsascii.png (1920x1200, 49K)

I was doing some updates and my Ubuntu 16.04 said I could install 18.04 LTS, which I accepted. It seems it completely shat itself during the update though and now I'm only treated to a terminal interface with all kinds of errors whenever I try to fix things.
Should I back-up and clean install, try to fix it from its current state, or commit sudoku?
Thanks /fglt/.

adobe source code pro
terminus
liberation
deja vu

these are the fixed fonts I like in the order of how much I like them

make one for gentoo and I'll use it

try to update with apt again from the tty
I dont use ubungo so I don't have any specific ideas of what might have gone wrong

I'm actually making one right now, feel free to give suggestions. My aim is to make something simple (avoiding dependencies as much as possible) with vi key bindings.

are you using gtk or qt

>deja vu
So i'm looking around and basically just wanted to do the minimalist thing, since icecat has a required dependency of multiple fonts, which is inclusive of dejavu I may as well install icecat and get it along the way.

Problem is for some reason it says target is not found with pacman for icecat.

Whats the deal here? Its clearly listed as a package aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=icecat&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go

Can't update it. Even though it went awfully wrong, it still is Ubuntu 18.04, it's just missing about everything.

yeah on archlinux, packages in the AUR aren't installed with pacman.

you have to download the package build git clone aur.archlinux.org/icecat-git.git then change to the directory it downloaded to and run makepkg -si after you've made any changes (if any)
dont worry it will download and install all dependancies for ya

oh uh, I typed the url wrong, leave out the '-git' part. a lot of packages have that so I kinda did it by force of habit

does any one else experience problems loading sites on firefox quantum? good amount of websites will show straight out that firefox was unable to connect, dowloaded chromium and they work there so the problem is with FF itself
what do?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages

So to initially get it, i'm forced to install git, get the user package, then delete git?

nah if you read the wiki you could also download it from your browser or with wget if you want
git is a nice program anyway, though

fuck me thrice over, it looks like my attempts to fix it before asking here only made it worse. I was admittedly stupid enough not to do a back-up, but is my data still salvageable?

burn a livecd to a usb drive, then boot it and copy all your important data to some back up medium (external hdd, cloud, etc)

forgot pic

Attached: IMG_20180821_172251.jpg (4160x2336, 2.42M)

yes, if you are an end user stable or sid is the best for you. Testing is only recommended for those who really want to test.

I dont see anything on the AUR installation page about wget, neither does man wget give me anything, am I missing something?

I think in the wiki they use curl
you can use wget or curl to accomplish the thing. you just download the tar file
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/package_name.tar.gz

LARBS or some other arch auto install script.

What the other user said. Liveboot into a distro, mount your hdd and secure all files. Then just do a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu(good opportunity to switch imo)

so wal script seemed to be running well at first but now whenever I launch the script again and use "wai -i" it brings me a "command not found" error.
need to find a workaround for this

My GNU/Linux Vidya collection grows ever stronger.

I was so concerned with whether I could do it or not, that I didn't stop to think if I should. Everything here works like a clock and I'm nowhere near done with the library. I should probably get good backups, this is turning into a great stash.

Attached: 2018-08-21-104816_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 336K)

lutris is pretty based
its a shame the gentoo maintainer died

While all the dependencies of icecat are downloading, how do I change the font on my terminal to dejavu? is there some file im supposed to edit which handles the settings for the xfce terminal

Lutris+DXVK is seriously a miracle worker
Pic related, Quake Champions @60 FPS on a shit GPU.

Attached: 2018-08-18-183244_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.74M)

> windows

Attached: 1534175175592.png (671x603, 168K)

and here's a good old Quake screenshot for nostalgia's sake

Attached: 2018-08-21-092525_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.72M)