Why is Gaben pushing Linux so hard...

Why is Gaben pushing Linux so hard? I honestly don't believe he's dumb enough to buy all those conspiracy theories about Windows.

It doesn't make any sense, he gets nothing about it and is probably losing tons of money from it.

Attached: Gaben_862050_5607827.jpg (416x416, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rCGMiT0CQAI
4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20180815047/
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
lutris.net/
playonlinux.com/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

steam os is still a thing dude. if he manages to get direct x to run on linux without any sort of go between in terms of software. that would change the game.

>conspiracy theories about Windows
the ones where windows want to get as far away from win32 as they can? have you spoken to any windows devs lately? win32 apps might require virtual machines depending on which way they decide to go.

You have to pay a licence to Microsoft in order to do business in Windows applications. This is so Microsoft can push competition (like steam) out of the way of their own app store.

>all those conspiracy theories about Windows
For example?

I mean there are a number of incentives to move away from windows. I'm sure the idea of a steam machine was a key idea at the start, but obviously that didn't work out.

It could be that they feel threatened by the Microsoft store, or Microsoft in general, but I don't see why they would be.

I'm sure there is a business motivation, though I also don't doubt that individuals at steam are also likely waking up to the benefits of Linux.

>conspiracy theories about Windows

Attached: 1476566720885.png (491x585, 56K)

Because they saw windows 10 s maybe?

Because customers accepted IOS and Androids model where Google and Apple have the only viable stores?

why does everyone highlight OP's number when responding to it? is this a "phoneposter" thing?

He vowed to destroy microsoft the day he left there by taking away the only shills' argument.

> conspiracy theories
MS charges some percent to put apps in Windows Store.
Valve charges 30% to put games in Steam.
Gaben does not want to share his money with MS. It's that simple.

Based user detected

Im not sure. I do think it could be issues with windows, be that feeling threatened, or possibly feeling worried at the insecurity of the future of the platform.

Its pretty clear that the origin of their motion towards Linux was to try and break into the console/hardware market. Probably a stupid move, and we saw that in the sales.

Their continued support baffles me, don't get me wrong I welcome and encourage it, but I don't see any economic incentive.

>conspiracy theories
>theories

Get ready to pay extra to buy steam games on Windows due to the Windows store tax.

Gabe Newell's mother was a developer at bell labs and was part of the infamous UNIX team amongst Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, Brian Kernighan, ... She then shared profound teachings about programming and computer science to her son. for example, gaben learn to program in ALGOL at six year old. He's actually a real nerd and a real hacker (He's still write code time to time. for example, he helped the linux team to port steam).

Attached: gabenseeingthefuture.jpg (597x567, 38K)

Microsoft is moving away from the traditional local OS and pushing more and more to the cloud. The same is true for Xbox, the next Xbox will stream from the cloud.

Anything to delay HL3's release.

guy is worth more than the president of the united states, and his company keeps growing year after year.
He doesn't care about money. A man with $5 billion probably isn't too bothered about losing a couple minion on a project he loves.

also, valve is a LLC and gaben owns more than 51% of it. no shareholders on your back.

>the next Xbox will stream from the cloud.

not viable for the most part of the current consoles market. only japan and maybe czech republic are ready for that but xbox is very unpopular in japan.

steam machines

because fuck microsoft, that's why.

he'd make more money if he had his own OS that people would actually use

and in europe actually it's only popular in the us

Are you suggesting he's doing it just cause he likes Linux?

Why not? He's fucking loaded and it would make the world a better place. Not everything has to be about money when you've got money.

He want more money

not sure why he does it but he gave + 20 000 USA dollars to the linux foundation. also,

youtube.com/watch?v=rCGMiT0CQAI

maybe but in Japan, it's really bad. To give you an example, during the last week, only 43 xbox one x and 31 xbox one have been sold.

he a good guy
he like lenix
he help us
he free ppl from ms

4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20180815047/

he wants to dominate linux gaming market first, so more profits from linux users.

Honestly, if Linux managed to become the best platform for gaming i wouldn't even need windows on dual boot

remember, he's doing all this stuff instead of making ep.3

HL is overrated

for you

He probably makes so much money he can't fund whatever project he fucking wants.

no, there definitively is a before and after half-life. compare it to the earlier fps games. nothing come close.

how do we become rich and fat like gaben

I can help you on the fat part, don't know about being rich tho

>HL3 is finally made
>it's Linux exclusive
This is what they really should do

steam and the adobe cc is why people still use windows

Attached: 1534600182645.jpg (1024x683, 145K)

I assume that there's money to be made in somehow breaking the middle man, which is windows, so the gaymer audience can use their toys PCs to play
Like the creation of a gaming only distro, which they can monetize somehow. Hell, go a step further even and make a SteamOS for mobile phones after.

They're onto something.

Attached: 1533160128423.gif (750x750, 22K)

the great migration finally happenning.
the holly year of desktop linux.
hordes of normies.
richard m. stallman becoming more popular than alex jones
NSA BTFO

Valve is worried about Microsoft closing Windows. I don't think MS will ever be able to do that, well in the next 10 years anyways, but there is a possibility. Valve wants those cuts so they invest in an alternative, not like they don't have enough money.

Why not? It's not like he needs money. He can just do whatever the fuck he wants at this point.

If valve can make steam a viable gaming option on linux, they can have a monopoly of the Linux gaming market.
Also computer nerds often have a soft spot for linux.

Attached: Tux.png (2000x2320, 458K)

Reminder that Gaben said Windows 8 was a disaster, I'm sure he probably also hates Windows 10 as much as any reasonable person does.

I don't like valve because they still support DRM, but I will support them in this initiative.
Does anyone know if you can add a non steam exe (pirated game) to the steam launcher and use the Linux play thing for it?

Not even, Unreal already did the whole narrative with no cutscenes thing several months earlier, and had better graphics too.

Ios and android moved into a new market early that was obscure at the time. Almost everyone in the world uses a windows and the small fraction remaining uses macros.

Gaben can buy an army of genious programmers and make them fix all the shortcomings that are holding GNU/Linux back from being the best desktop/gaming OS.
Why doesn't he?

Lack of unlimited resources?
Lack of a way to profit on said initiative?

Having strong Linux alternative gives Valve more leverage in any kind of negotiations with Microsoft.

Running Steam on Linux gives them full control over the OS, drivers and terms of use. They can implement whatever they want without OS vendor getting in the way.

part of the problems are long standing software stacks which valve can't just commandeer which means you still need to go through the regular channels which have far less dev time/money/etc at their disposal
the only thing holding freesync on the amdgpu kernel driver back for instance is cooperating with everybody else, amd have had freesync on their amdgpu-pro driver for ages now

I think the goal here is replacing directx with vulkan

photoshop cc runs pretty well on linux if you are ok with visual glitches in the tooltips or missing compatibility for clipboards (photoshop fails to move an image inside one of the three linux clipboards so you can't really copy it and paste it in imgur for example)

normalfags want just-works tier software, they don't want to mess with settings and stuff. they will stick with windows or macos

>Q: Can I try a game with Proton even if it's not marked as compatible?
>Yes; head to the Steam Play options of your Steam Client and you'll be able to enable it for all games.
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

you can try adding a third party software in the list and mess with steam settings to see if you can enable proton for it. or just download proton from github and run it manually since it's just wine wrapped differently github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/

He allowed anyone to publish their games on steam after taking out greenlight. That means he knows the future will be more free and open, so relying on spyware like windows and crapple is a shortsighted. Smart people will use linux and safeguard their precious personal data in the future. Steam will still track your usage and all that nonsense. It isn't fool proof, but it's a step in the right direction.

this
if they do this linux market share triples

Windows has a bit of barrier-to-entry in that you actually need to buy it (unless you pirate it). With DaaS being rumored, this barrier is only going to get worse. All this time and investment going into these open source project is going to make a return since there will be less shekels going to M$ and more shekels going to Valve.

It will be used by 1.5% of PC users, awesome!

this but unironically

What is market expansion ?

The process of offering a product or service to a wider section of an existing market or into a new demographic, psychographic or geographic market.

Because Microsoft wants to make windows only able to install windows store programs.

>Why is Gaben pushing Linux so hard?
Because you can have the Linux version which yelds control from the game loop at the exact time you want, I assume.

Gaben is obviously a member of mic****ft agenda that wants GNU/Linux to be infested with dumbass gaymers that will require devs to dumbify it even more!
They will close arch wiki, forbid usage of terminal and close repositories so normies can dowload they favourite gaymes and software directly from steam or websites just like they do it on wi*dows

>freetards pirating games but complaining about DRM
Like a pottery.

I think he sees a market and if he gets the Monopoly of "gaming on Linux" he will have a decent edge in the console gaming market with steam machines.
As he can release consoles with the greatest gaming lineup possible.

It's not a conspiracy theory if it's written in the TOS. Also Windows' performance is shit.

Don't be retards. He's pushing MS niggers into a grave. He wants as open and fair competition as possible. Markets flourish with competition - monopoly is the worst enemy of market performance.

Next thing he does is push console niggers out of existence. Actually he might just do both at the same time. Apart from extending his market reach to console gamers, it is without proprietary operating systems, hardware systems and APIs that he only really needs to run a better software distribution platform than GoG and Itch and Humble (which isn't too complicated)

Well the easiest way to reply is to just click the post number on 4chanX.
It doesn't really look "wrong" either like reddit spacing does.

GoG being fully drm-free makes them quite attractive for a lot of people. Humble is just a steam key seller at this point.

shills would just talk shit about how it doesn't live up to expectations etc like with nvidia turing gpus

Note also that hardware prices have been inflated recently - however it is only lack of fabs/semiconductor manufacturing facilities that drives up the prices. The hardware IS getting cheaper.

Core i3 8350K is a decent CPU for 170$. RAM prices should drop. GPUs will stay expensive. SSDs prices halve every year or two.

Add to that additional 150$ Windows license price drop and you can provide many shithole people with capable PCs. This all increases both game development and consumption for Valve == PROFIT.

Note also that there has been rumours Valve had been investing recently into Godot and similar permissive/opensource game engines. All to speed up game development and ramp up competition.

So my guess is that he's inevitably going to try to push even the likes of Ubisoft/EA niggers off the scene, render them uncompetative, since they do nothing but ruin gaming for everybody.

>Conspiracy theories
Go look up PRISM retard.

> Microsoft is actively competing with his platform with Windows store
> Expecting him to be comfortable 100% relying on a product that's developed by a company that's essentially a competitor to his

Presumably, Valve found that linux users take up enough of the market share that they felt it would be best to invest time/resources into expanding their catalog there.

Also I hate when people act like Gabe is the only one at Valve.

are you suggesting he's on windows because he likes it instead?

You're right, forgot about Humble keys. Steam actually profits off Humble.
And I'm not saying GoG are incompetent, I'm just saying they aren't halfway as good as Valve. DRM-free comes with a price - certain publishers won't touch you.

Look, if you're GoG:
>Publishers hate you because no-DRM
>Linux Gamers hate you because you refuse to open-source your client OR port it to linux yourself.
>Linux gamers hate you because you refused to port Witcher 3 to linux
>Linux Gamers hate you because you won't implement Valve tools to play Windows games on linux for 3 more years because you're not investing anything in linux.

They lack the vision man. they're catching up. Valve could just convert their client into flatpak store and open-source the code. Then encourage devs who publish their games DRM-free on GoG to do the same on Steam. Why would you use GoG then?

Exactly and additionally he is attacking the Console market. If this thing works well enough he has a serious competitor with an enormous base of games, without having to rely on Microsoft at all.

Why do wincucks enjoy being reamed by their computer?

>microshit windaids

maybe valve isn't interested in the linux marketshare but in a proprietary platform that runs everything so they can start selling steam consoles for real

Believe me - he is

Imagine an open source console, mods, free multiplayer, etc. Theres just no way for Sony or Microsoft to compete.

Because of the shitty direction Windows is going. There's a reason why a lot of us still haven't gone to Windows 10.

Because valve won't do that. They want everything to run on steamworks down to mods.
Linux gamers also hated cdpr because the witcher 2 linux port wasn't perfect. That's probably the main reason they aren't investing too much on linux now.

>non steam exe
Here's automated shit: lutris.net/
Here's what you install if you want to install stuff manually: playonlinux.com/en/

In case of PlayOnLinux, it's install scripts are mostly outdated so you're better off using "install a non-listed program" for everything. If something doesn't work check winehq for dependencies it needs and potential workarounds. PoL has registry editor and cmd, and you can install components/dependencies from the GUI or the wine config. Also, you can install software into different virtual drives so you can isolate stuff or make backups much easier, and it lets you manually choose which version of wine to use for each software ensuring things don't spontaneously break after an update.

Lutris needs the Lutris launcher (both it and PoL are in debian repos), but after that all you have to do is basically go to their website and click on "install" on any game, after which the process is automatic.
Lutris can also be used for emulators so you can even run console games easily through it (rcps3, ppsspp, pcsx2, reicast, mupen, medafen, dolphin, dosbox, to name a few). Installing games manually, though, is more confusing than PoL.

I hate the idea of DRM but Steam's is one of the only (maybe the only?) one's that you barely fucking even notice, no performance fuck ups, etc.

Paaajeeets on suicide watch!!!!

Steam doesn't even enforce DRM, devs are free to not use it or any other Steam feature with their game.

>Linux Gamers hate you because you refuse to open-source your client OR port it to linux yourself
I honestly don't give a fuck about this. Anyone who plays DRM free games will probably not want another trashware launcher when I can just use the fucking game shortcuts made by the installers I download from the website. The only thing it makes convenient are updates, which haven't been an issue for me personally. As someone who grew up in the CD/DVD era of games I rarely update anything and I don't buy (((pre-release))) games.
>Linux gamers hate you because you refused to port Witcher 3 to linux
This was literally less than 10% Linux gamers. It just happened to be a vocal minority. Cd projekt was retarded for not porting witcher 3 and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't even want to port w3 to Linux due to finances or some reason NOT related to the 50 autistic neckbeards making caps locked posts.

This. Some steam games can just be copied from their folder and executed on any offline PC without steam.

Because he is based.

Because on linux he gets 100% of the profits. Linux has no company to retaliate, so they can do whatever the fuck they want. Pretty much the same reason why Google uses it.

Microshits are finished.

>18:38
>Linux debugger
Did this ever happen?

>prefers to run windos 10