Are you excited as a Linux user right now? Do you think Steam's Proton is good news?

Are you excited as a Linux user right now? Do you think Steam's Proton is good news?

Attached: linuxhero.jpg (770x602, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_(computing)
wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Guide#Alternatives_to_Wine_you_might_want_to_consider
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)#Wine_vs._native_Unix_applications
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I suppose it can be quite a good thing for people who play games, but I'm interested to see how many games it can fully get supported. So far there isn't really many.
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

Why would I be happy to get more botnet?

What is it? Do you think I will google it? Nope. Link to archive.

I've been using Steam on Linux for years, the games that do not have OpenGL support are generally not interesting to me anyway.

Bad. This means more devs will go
"We support linux!"
even though
"no native linux. Dual boot or proton"
And when there will be issues with game on linux
"We will not fix it. Dual boot"

Good
I get my games and they don't feel alien.

I just wiped all my Lutris prefixes.

Attached: 1534222505408.jpg (960x721, 57K)

As Long as nividia keeps being faggots about Linux, it won't really matter

Attached: 1534877354786.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

Steam is botnet

Absolutely. Winesteam crashes constantly for me. Hopefully Proton will be way more stable.

>no native linux
Wine is native.

Why can't Steam just charge 15% instead of 30% commission on sales if games are natively compatible on Linux? Wouldn't this encourage more developers to make games for Linux?

Stop with wine. Making game work via wine doesn't make that game native.

Interesting idea, but reducing their cut by 50% isn't smart. It would cost them millions each year. And developing a wrapper is cheaper than that. If Valve ever wants to fully focus on Linux and break from windows they could reduce it to 25% or 22% for non-wine Linux ports, or reduce it to 20-18% for Linux exclusives. But this will never happen.
>Wouldn't this encourage more developers to make games for Linux?
It would if they didn't make steam play. Now devs don't even have to worry about it. Linux gamers might just buy their game anyways and play it through the wrapper. Most Linux users just dual boot.

>Making game work via wine doesn't make that game native.
Yes, it does. Learn what a wrapper is.

>It would if they didn't make steam play. Now devs don't even have to worry about it.
only ones that will not bother anymore are those developers that would just do their """"native"""" port with cheap barelly functioning wrapper

this.
GNU/Linux being FOSS is the main reason why I use it.
If I would want botnet vidia games on my platform - I would use botnet operating system.

Attached: high-tech prankster.jpg (1024x1372, 203K)

It genuinely doesn't matter. Devs that haven't supported Linux won't start supporting it now because now people who care about running that specific game can try to out of the box, devs don't have any responsibility for this.
Indie and AA/AAA devs that have already supported Linux will keep with their standard way of porting, even if it is through a wrapper. And it's fine. Wrappers are basically native. Unless games start using more obscure dX functions they won't lose much performance.
Nothing bad is going to happen, I don't see why you're worried.

Yes, I'm happy since now I will have my little brother and sister play vidyas on a Linux machine and not in a slow as fuck windows clusterfuck

Steam is DRM hell, no thanks.

That's a good news, but not really. At least, not yet.

I still won't play gayems, so who cares?

>Translate DX to OpenGL or, less worse, Vulkan
>native
hardly, although wine is certainly not a VM or an emulator either.

But it is native. That's the whole point.

I still use windows 7 (which honestly I don't really hate) and if shit finally gets so good in the gaming area I will finally be free and away from having to eventually drag my ass to windows 10. Windows 10 can go fuck itself. "OS as a service that you'll prob be charged out the ass for not an essential part of the computer" yeah fuck you

Prefix data is stored in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/ numbers, presumably appid /pfx/ for those playing around with it already.

>People complaining about steam DRM

Yes complain about the only one that actually isn't an asshole.

I don't give a fuck. Games are for children.

Average gamer age is 35 now, sorry it's not anymore.

>Do you think Steam's Proton is good news?
It definitely isn't bad news, especially since valve is actually improving on wine and open sourcing their software.

> Average gamer age is 35 now
Yeah, weaponized autism fucked up society pretty badly. But games are still for children.

if it doesn't support linux then you can just go kys is my motto.

well tbqh I have been doing a lot of wowing in wine though, that's a long time ago. What's shit about this though is that some developers will probably go lazy and just go
>oh you well just install that proton shit steam has, and you can run the windows version
>so we don't make shit for linux directly anymore

I don't remember the story behind wow but they had a client initially then it went along those lines because of wine

God people like you are such faggots. You don't have to be on one extreme or another.

Attached: gang_w33d.png (1966x1284, 1.75M)

yes

>Playing any modern games
>not hating yourself
This would've been cool in 2016> but the games industry is bretty shit now a days

>is not native
>is native

Of course it's good. Try replacing the word "games" with "graphically intensive applications" and see if you still don't give a shit.

What are you confused about? Wrapper = native.

>[company] releases cool thing for Linux
>constant changes to underlying layers due to autism
>[company] keeping up is too much effort for 1%
>unusable due to bit rot within the year
>at least three forks go nowhere

Rinse and repeat.

"In computing, software or data formats that are native to a system are those that the system supports with minimal computational overhead and additional components."[1]
Wine is, most certainly, an additional component, and a huge, non-default one in a lot of distros at that.
To reinforce this, you will find the phrases like "wine vs native linux..." countless of times[2][3].
Wine is not a virtual machine or an emulator.
[1]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_(computing)
[2]wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Guide#Alternatives_to_Wine_you_might_want_to_consider
[3]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)#Wine_vs._native_Unix_applications

>Wine is, most certainly, an additional component
Then everything that requires a non-built-in library is also not native.

Brainlet post

You think it's games that's stopping people from switching to Linux?

What's stopping people are the following:
- people just don't give a shit
- Adobe
- Microsoft Office

yea..

this 2bh
excel is reason #1 I dual-boot

Do you want to actually explain instead of just calling him stupid and adding nothing to the discussion?

Valve has always favoured Linux, and they've criticized Microsoft's policies many times in the past (most notably Windows 8, by calling it a catastrophe for the PC market). Gabe Newell has also mentioned that Linux is ideal for Steam, but the lack of game support holds him back.
That being said it wasn't really surprising that they'd try to support more games on it. The problem was always GPU manufacturers. Will they always support Linux?

That's too much of a cut just for compatibility. It should be 25% for Linux supported games and 15% for Linux exclusives.

>Gabe Newell has also mentioned that Linux is ideal for Steam
Source?

What can MS Office do that LibreOffice can't?

Not that guy but my guess is:
Run shitty old legacy VBScript spreadshit that is used to run company and is only form of anykind of electronic "database" ever ran there.

Everything that include normies will have some sort of terrible aftertaste, but in the case of something like linux, you just can cut the bad parts off and have your own nice meal.
Steam proton means that a lot more people (and good at that) will work on wine and make it work better, which will attract more people to linux and will create a lot of good and bad.
Then you can strip the bad away and make a much better system.

Linux exclusives are not allowed on Steam since one of the conditions for a game to be accepted is to be available for Windows.

I get all my games off of GOG, I do not support Valve and their business practices.

wine is like the jre

you fucking tripfag shill, these are just the whitelisted by Valve, there are tons you can already run but are not 100% working.

Not even close.
JRE emulates a virtual CPU with dynamic recompilation etc etc etc..
Wine strips the code from the exe, fill it with jumps to wine itself and runs it as is.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/edit#gid=0

You can try to run a lot more games than just those. I tried with AoE 2 and AoM (HD editions) and they worked flawlesly save for changing the name of a file from 'AoE 2.exe' to 'Launcher.exe'.

Testes on a GTX 1060

There was a game on steam that was linux-exclusive for several months to a year (don't be patchman) before getting support for other platforms.

Yes, I expect this to help dxvk and maybe WINE a bit. I would NEVER buy iuden newell's games, though.

GPU drivers aren't really an issue anymore as far as I can tell.

No

with an improved wine they could sell underpowered steam os box prepacked with old or indie games, alike to (s)nes mini that seems appealing to normies

Says the Ubuntufag as systemd uploads all his stuff to the NSA's servers.

systemd is open source. on which line of code exactly does it send something to nsa

So id windows. Pick your poison. Two botnets or one?

Well shit, here I was confident I could stop dual booting and the one game I'm playing, Dark Souls 3, just crashed on me with proton. Not to mention performance suffered with my aged maxwell gpu.

The many that won't be fixed.

I'm more excited as a microshit hater desu senpai

That's not the problem

LibreOffice is fine, but the problem is that everyone uses Word and Excel. They are used to the behaviors and bugs of the MS Office software. A bank can't simply say from one day to another "lets change all our spreadsheet to LibreOffice Calc" it would be extremely painful and they would had lots of problem when inter operating with other entities. It's afucking mess

Me too. I like to own the games I buy.

I know that you technically never own the IP and it is still a license, but you get my point.

I hope you don't use a systemd distro, otherwise it's better you use proprietary botnet.

Why did he let himself become a fatass?

big companies force stupid changes on their employees all the time. Ironically, usually for the worst. They don't change to Libreoffice saving on millions in lincensing fees due to inertia mostly. Seriously, no high level manager ever thought of migrating to a open source fucking free platform before implementing a workforce reestructuring (axing jobs) solely to cut down operating costs. This thought just never even occured to them.

>tfw you're boss would fire your ass a million times over rather than even consider ditching micro$hit.

Attached: dMecNcX.gif (362x480, 152K)

actually, it's even worse than that. It''s not that they won't consider. They don't even remember linux exists. It's outside their reality tunnel.

For me, this and ironically icloud