/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pocophone F1 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: _20180822_133840.jpg (1052x858, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=888930&st=6340#entry74064896
engadget.com/2018/08/22/pocophone-f1-hands-on/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Poco F1 for 400 or Mi Mix 2 for 370

yeah, or at least I think. the photo I previously attached () was taken with the P9's b&w sensor, while this one was a colur photo I took with my old Lumia 930 to which I added a b&w filter

Attached: B6E39540-E2FE-42C4-8825-0C43E47E7E39.jpg (1872x1872, 467K)

Currently using a 1+1, wondering what upgrades are out there.
In NZ w/ 2degrees.
No notch, long battery life, removable battery, 3.5mm jack, sd card, fast charging, budget $1000nzd ($700usd).

Redmi Note 5.

I take it that removable battery phones aren't a thing anymore.

>Pocophone F1

Is this finally the Oneplus One successor flagship killer we've all been waiting for?

>Snapdragon 845 with liquid cooling
>6GB or 8GB RAM, up to 256GB storage
>Flagship quality 12 MP + 5 MP rear camera
>4,000mah battery with QC3.0 fast charging
>USB-C, MicroSD slot, IR blaster, stereo speakers, headphone jack!!
>Android 8.1 Oreo, with Pie coming before the end of the year
>Durable polycarbonate body instead of weak glass
>Pricing starts at ~$300/260€ in India

>Durable polycarbonate body instead of weak glass
This, oh my god this

Nope, hasn't been a thing in flagship phones since 2016. It's only a handful of budget phones that still have a removable battery.

Liquid cooling. In a phone.

Attached: man_sneer_contempt.jpg (1200x800, 55K)

>20MP Front camera
can someone explain this? I just tape over my front camera like I do my laptops

Autism, for laptops i can understand that though

I see. Thanks user.

why would you think it would be any different? it's a camera that's controlled by a privacy invading OS
explain how a three letter agency, in the days of PRISM and other intelligence agency software, wouldn't try to compromise a device used by someone visiting this Tibetan throat singing newsgroup?

It's doing 4-to-1 pixel binning, the resulting photos are 5MP

>liquid cooling

It's just a vapor chamber. They're not wrong because it uses a liquid to transfer heat but so does every fucking $10 heatsink with heatpipes out there.

>notch
almost perfect
>headphone jack
I guess I'm still getting a Poophone F1

so you're saying that they're falsely claiming the front camera as 20MP?

T moch

I'm working on a 3t atm. What's this little gold part for and is it essential? I can't get it unscrewed.

Attached: 20180822_124435.jpg (2560x1920, 2.08M)

No, it's still a 20MP sensor and there is probably an option to take full 20MP photos if you want to. Same thing as with the P20 Pro, it has a 40MP main camera sensor but takes 10MP photos by default. Look up "pixel binning" if you want to know why they do that.

>Binning is used to increase theSignal To Noise Ratioat the cost of reducing theSampling Density(and therefore resolution). It is an option in some microscope models, and should be properly registered in order to have the proper parameters describing the acquired images. In the example above, not noticing that binning is active causes an error in theSampling Distancesof 100% that is critical forImage Restoration.

not sure how exactly it's a good thing, please explain for a brainlet

I still have a redmi1s. I like the miui8 (especially the randomly changing lockscreen pic and naviball) and not huge size of it.
What should i get?
Note 5 (too huge)
Mi A1 (should replace to miui)
Mi A2 lite
Mi A2 (and replace to miui)
?

Attached: Legion_poster_cut.jpg (1037x1626, 359K)

Only downside is no Oled screen

Redmi 6 or 6A

of course, its over a hundred bucks cheaper than the OP6 with an amoled screen

Well, the notch can be hidden even with third-party applications. I wouldn't consider it a downside then. Practically an upgraded Redmi Note 5 with Snapdragon 845 and dual speakers.
Until microLED becomes viable for smartphones, even AMOLED panels have that one disadvantage.

Data from four small pixels is combined into a single big pixel which means more light and less noise is captured.

if your American, know that the Pocophone F1 will NOT work on American networks, NONE OF THEM

they're all roughly same size anyway

>at the cost of reducing the sampling density (and therefire resolution)
still doesn't sound like a good thing, one would think it would still be able to capture in RAW format

Is it going to have a textile feeling or is it just printed textures

i wouldn't be surprised either way
my phone, the blade v8 pro, has a rubberized textured back and it's a cheap as fuck chinkphone

Please

There's people actually buying this

Attached: twarren_180223_2327_0036.0.jpg (1200x800, 106K)

what country are you in? I would go for the Mix since it would seem the Poco might have some flaws

and? if Nokia weren't anti-American faggots I would have gotten one myself

modular phones when?

Attached: magento_produktbilder_shop_shift5me-preorder.jpg (600x600, 60K)

>MotoMods aren't a thing
seriously?

You can't even root Nikoa phones, why would you need one

the 8110 doesnt even run Android, boss
no need to root
also the appeal for me is it isn't spying on everything you do like every fucking smartphone made

The P20 Pro can capture in RAW.

aren't those just a bunch of gimicky addons? I want a phone with replaceable parts. as far as I can this is only possible with a fairphone or shiftphone?

>also the appeal for me is it isn't spying on everything you do like every fucking smartphone made
It's still a proprietary OS.

The OP pic is the "armoured" edition with rubberised Kevlar, the regular models are just polycarbonate plastic

Attached: Pocophone-F1-colours-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 129K)

>aren't those just a bunch of gimicky addons?
Nope.

neat

from the website it just looks like stuff you stick on the back with magnets?

Netherlands, Screen, battery and headphone audio quality are what matters the most to me, is there a huge difference in UI speed between SD835 and SD845?

does anyone else think custom ROMs like LineageOS are crappy for Xiaomi phones compared to phones like Oneplus?

>Complete list of Moto Mods
>Hasselblad True Zoom Camera
>Incipio Offgrid Power Pack
>Incipio Vehicle Dock
>JBL SoundBoost
>JBL SoundBoost 2
>Kate Spade New York Power Pack
>Mophie Juice Pack
>Moto 360 Camera
>Moto Folio
>Moto Gamepad
>Moto Power Pack
>Moto Smart Speaker w/ Amazon Alexa
>Moto Stereo Speaker
>Moto Style Shell
>Moto Style Shell with Wireless Charging
>Moto TurboPower Pack
>Updated June 2018
How is this not a list of girly gimmicks?

What phone should I get to replace my Huawei p10? That is to say, one which has better performance etc.

Thinking about the OP5T. Anybody know if theres issues with it?
I've been on the OPO for the last 3 years and think it would be a nice upgrade
I know the companies fallen from grace since it got quite expensive, but seems like a good phone and is cheaper since the op6 came out

I forgot
>Country
Italy
>Carrier
>Wanted features
Better performance
>Budget
Less than 450€
>Size
I like them big, but average is fine too

>the notch can be hidden with third-party apps
With an LCD screen though

Redmi note 5

Hopefully, never.

You should look at the Mi Mix series, if you can forgive no sd no 3.5mm. or maybe the Pocophone.

Is it actually better though? Is the performance superior? It feels too convenient when the price is even lower than 200€
Which Mi Mix would you suggest?

>3
you dun goofed. also, why do you want to replace your p10?

>More powerful than P10 (Kirin 960)
You want something with Kirin 970 like Honor 10 / View 10 or the new Honor Play, or something with Snapdragon 835/845 like Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 / Mix 2S / Mi8, Pocophone F1, Sony XZ1/XZ1 Compact or Nokia 8.

It stopped getting update earlier this year, and the last major one removed a function I really liked and replaced with a worse one. There's some other minor things too but I don't think they would interest you.
Nice. Which one of these has the best price/quality?

yes, but we're not talking about the P20 Pro, but thats good to know
i wouldnt call slapping on an additional 2000mAh worth of battery a gimmick
shut up stallman, the point was that it's not the all seeing eye of Google/Apple
nope, not in the UI, it would mainly be noticeable in apps that use a lot of CPU/GPU resources like games and Snapchat, etc
Mix 2 if you're on a budget

2S is currently 429€ on Amazon Italy, though Mix 3 is launching next month, might want to wait for that. Pocophone F1 also just launched in India and has amazing specs for the price, it should be coming available globally soon.

actually they would since I want to get a new phone but I'm really undecided between the P10, the nokia 8 and the 7 plus

>globally
just say Europe, we all know they fuck over the Americas constantly

What's with the shilling of the redmi note 5? For me it's not a option, just imagine how much it takes to charge that 4k battery with a microusb instead of a 3.0 quick charge connection..

Attached: 1518213811280.jpg (320x320, 29K)

Well I find it to be quite slow when playing vidya, and it has a very slow startup. Mine is branded though, so I dunno how much that influences things. Overall I'm not disappointed with it, it's just that it wasn't actually mine and feels a bit worse than I expected.
Yeah I heard the poxo was coming out next week here in Italy, I should probably wait for it, it sounds like a solid phone. Is it big?

So what's Jow Forums's approved phone? If it's chinkshit, will it last more than a few months?

Just leave it charging overnight.

>vidya
couldn't care less, I only play realm defense
>slow startup
meh
I currently have a P9 which I'm willing to change for the lack of updates, and I know the P10 will suffer the same fate, but
>dat b&w camera

are you implying Quick Charge doesnt work on microUSB? are you retarded?

if you're not American: Redmi Note 5
if you're American: OnePlus phones

>shut up stallman, the point was that it's not the all seeing eye of Google/Apple
Sure. Assuming this is true, how would you confirm it on a proprietary OS?

It takes under two hours. Nothing out of the ordinary, especially considering that's a 4000 mAh battery.

It doesn't have any bands to support U.S. carriers, still just useless third-world garbage.

>huwei p20 (not pro)
vs
>huawei p10
vs
>nokia 8
vs
>nokia 7 plus
I mostly care about cameras, battery life and up-to-date-ness, drop the redpills

Attached: gn13te6mqk711.jpg (800x546, 45K)

got a moto x play but that shit fell and now the call speaker dont work
what can i get i want the phone to be customizable kinda like a moto z2 force but modern

thanks

U think snapchat runs fine on SD835? Need to use it for school work sharing purposes

Global version of Redmi Note 5 actually does have QC3.0

Source:
4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=888930&st=6340#entry74064896
(It's in Russian but just use Google translate to understand what he wrote)

I can't, but considering it's built on the foundation of FirefoxOS, any apps you would, outside of native sms and phone/calculator, would be web based and you're info would be stored somewhere on a server
if you bought this phone, I would assume it would be for the purpose of NOT having a smartphone and not doing something stupid like using Google apps or Facebook, which they're developing for KaiOS, or any other app that would be found on any other smartphone platform
if you dont use those apps or web browse you shouldn't have any issues being spied on
P20 would be ypur best bet
it works better on it than it would a 600 series SoC or below

Takes 2h30min from 10%->100% for me, using the charger from the package though

>P20 would be ypur best bet
yeah but it's the most expensive one, too. is the price difference justified? and what about updates? will it suffer the same fate as the p9/p10?

I'm on a SD625 now as my Nokia 8 screen peeled off, sold my X Compact, it ran fine on X Compact. Hope the Mi Mix 2 will last long.

>i wouldnt call slapping on an additional 2000mAh worth of battery a gimmick
Sure, the battery mods are pretty cool, however, it's a far cry from the fairphone or shiftphone.

>$300
No fucking way

The phone is quick charge compatible, that's what he meant. I charge mine with my older Motorola turbo charger.

Stock charger isn't QC3.0, or even QC2.0, so it'll charge slower.

>1+1

not sure, I was under the impression Huawei supports EMUI in a similar fashion to Xiaomi supporting MIUI, which is pretty good
alsi, you asked for what had the best Camera, if you want it cheaper and with software support, then get the Nokia 7+ and get a GCam mod for it , considering GCam mods don't work on Kirin chips
it should run a lot better on the Mix 2, just take care of the phone and it should last
yeah, but MotoMods aren't vaporware, also the projector is pretty useful, and the camera mod is good as well
I've already read that the digitizer, or something with the screen is off
>With all that said, the other thing to keep in mind about the F1 is that it's a roughly $300 phone — it's definitely not going to be perfect. In my week of testing, the phone's screen made that point most obvious. It's bright and vivid, sure, but there's a barely perceptible bit of latency for touch inputs that sometimes makes the phone feel a little less responsive than it should. At this point, it's hard to tell whether the issue is due to software that needs tweaking or a lousy digitizer, but it's there all the same.
engadget.com/2018/08/22/pocophone-f1-hands-on/

>vaporware
both the fairphone and shiftphone are in production and available to the public. are there any others? it seems the other modular phones such as phonebloks and project ara are vaporware.

It's 365€ if bought from my country, and 296 if bought in Sunsky, I don't even know that page tho.

>support is really good
didn't the p10 stop receiving updates? also, I already heard about the gmod for the 7 plus, but I really like the b&w camera on my p9, and the nokia 8 has one. how do the 8 and 7 plus compare to each other?

>amerishartland
>not 3rd world

Wtf? How can I solve this?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-22-10-53-17-200_com.miui.securitycenter.png (720x1280, 88K)

how do you like the nokia 8?

uninstall android

Settings > Languages