Enough of whining those of you who respect your own privacy! Whining won't bring you any good, you need to do something

Enough of whining those of you who respect your own privacy! Whining won't bring you any good, you need to do something.
If any user knows about a group/movement or similar which want to fight for privacy on the Internet and for privacy in general, please link me/us to it so we can play out part.
Otherwise, we can create our own movement which will fight for privacy and creating necessary tools for people who want to escape the botnet too.
In the case of the latter, anyone would be able to join as long as they take privacy seriously and are willing to contribute. Developers would be welcome to help me/us to develop tools(software) which would be the alternative to botnet ones. Of course, there is no need to reinvent the wheel if such software already exists.
This is not a joke and everyone who doesn't value their own privacy is free to continue using already existing tools.
No, this won't be a new Anonymouse h4x0r5, this is supposed to be a place for people who care about their privacy and want to contribute to the pool of software that respects your privacy.

Attached: the_eye.jpg (696x392, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP here, recommended software for privacy:
>Browser
Otter Browser - It possesses a full GUI with most of features you'd expect but rendering is garbage compared to newer browsers. I liked it except for the rendering part.

Qutebrowser - It's what I'm using right now. It uses Google's Blink rendering engine so rendering is crystal clear. It is Vim inspired so you can do all the browsing with keyboard although there's mouse support for webpage interaction.

>Emali provider
ProtonMail - It's what I'm using at the moment. All mails are encrypted and in case of a password reset, you can't view any emails that arrived beforehand which is a good security messure. It's not based in USA so that's a plus as well. Downsides are that with free account, you've got 500MiB of storage for your mails unless you pay for more. I personally don't pay but I think it's worth it. Also, they mainly made it web interface although ProtonMail bridge exists. ProtonMail bridge can interface with ThunderBird for example but I won't mention it because it's a spyware too.

CounterMail - I haven't tried this one but it doesn't sound bad. The reason why I wouldn't use it is mostly because it's free only for a week after which you have to start paying.

>Messaging clients
Mutt - This is my email client of choice if you want a CLI program. I don't use it because I still need to get ProtonMail to work with it. Not a Mutt problem but ProtonMail's. Overall pretty nice client.

Claws - Minimalistic and non-botnet email client which I didn't try because I prefer CLI. Perhaps a little user unfriendly because it requires a manual configuration but shouldn't be hard if you aren't completely tech illiterate.

Hexchat - An IRC client which I really like. It's not a botnet and isn't a hassle to use either. You choose a server, choose your username, nickname and such and you are good to go.

For a nice list of programs tested for spyware, see spyware.neocities.org/articles/

>not cockli
Do you hate freedom or something?

I wanted to mention cock.li actually, but it's a meme honestly. I am almost sure that it's private though because they've got nothing from collecting our data.

Bumping thread for effort, it's not common on Jow Forums these days. I don't know shit so I can't contribute much, I just use Debian 9, Waterfox browser with NoScript and UBlock Origin and I'm a shit programmer.

For a while I've considered building a computer from the ground up and ensuring the entire thing's debotnetted, but it's a project that's not on the forefront of my mind right now. It is a subject I find very interesting though, I think the opportunities for freedom of information available through the advent of the internet shouldn't be commodified as a product like food, and I'll see what you suggested.

>Otherwise, we can create our own movement which will fight for privacy and creating necessary tools for people who want to escape the botnet too.
What would you suggest? If you know of anything or have ideas, I'd certainly check it out and see if there's a chance I could be of use.

Attached: 1525168485117.jpg (600x600, 38K)

Tron fights for the users.

Well check out the link spyware.neocities.org/articles/ for software recommendations. It outlines why Waterfox is a botnet and mentions non-botnet browsers too.
>What would you suggest? If you know of anything or have ideas, I'd certainly check it out and see if there's a chance I could be of use.
It's good that you want to help, I've got no development ideas for now but we can still spread the word. We just need a name for our movement and a way of communication. I think IRC is good enough.

That can be the name of the movement if it actually succeeds.

Same user again.

>I think IRC is good enough.
I've been meaning to get IRC for a while, to talk to anyone of value. I feel like at this point there's no point lying to look better, I still use Shitscord because I talk to about 3 people and haven't had a necessity for "real" social media.

As for a name, give me a short and sweet pitch for the concept of the movement, and we can see if anything comes to mind.

>it gave me a trip
Weird. I never spent the effort trying to figure out how they worked in all the time I've been here. Ignore that.

I'm in love with IRC now. If you try it out, go to server freenode and search for channel "##privacy" I didn't make it but may start my movement there. If I do anything I'll probably make a new thread if this one dies.

Cool cool. If I were to properly debotnet I'd be doing a lot of work on my computer, but for now I'll check it out soon, if not tonight.

As it seems, a new movement needs to bring something to the table that's not already monopolized elsewhere to be able to survive. That would be the case of giving people the information, means, and tools to rise themselves up out of the botnet and help themselves. Something more accessible and effective than what already exists.

If you could think of something related to that, perhaps even in allegories or myths of devices that would have raised people up in such a parallel way, it'd be a very nice name. I may be asking something very specific, though. I'll see if I can cook something up.

Were I to go do that, how easy would it be to find you? A lot of people are quitters and say they're going to make a movement and then ditch it for whatever's in front of them, but you give me "good vibes".

I imagined it being a movement which will either recommend already made software or will develop new software for the sake of privacy. Nothing illegal but still puts up a fight. It's great if I succeeded at influencing at least someone. I do have a Discord account if that's what you want, although it's a botnet but will serve temporary probably. If you've got any means of communication which you prefer tell me.

>we need to rise up, fellow gamers!
nothing will come out of this

That's fine. I can give my tag, I doubt a bunch of people will add some random guy but in case you may want to have proof of identity.

And as a disclaimer, I'm better with words and ideas than with code, I'm useless with code. I can learn, though. And I wouldn't mind getting word out.
>Case#7470

>nothing will come out of this
That position is why nothing will come of this. Whether it succeeds or fails, I wouldn't have regrets, and in the process I can learn as so to execute something more successfully next time. It's interesting for the time being, anyway, it gives me energy.

this position is because i've been in Jow Forums for a long enough time to know nothing ever comes out of this, user. you can do this on your own but "rising tf up" is gonna bring a bunch of fags to your IRC for two weeks and then they all start losing interest one by one. it's best if you just start on your own and pretend no one is interested from the beginning.

Sent

Yeah, I'll keep going whether there's a "movement" or not. One way or another, I'm here because this will benefit me as much as it will benefit "the greater community". I don't have rash expectations, but if I don't try I should expect nothing.

I'm OP, I can't do it alone. I need couple of people by my side.

Is this the new one this month?
You can always work on Jow Forumsternet, /netrunner/ or whatever other flavor of the month has failed so far
If you want to start something new, what's your general sense of action?
Anti-government activism a la 1337 fr33d0m h4cking?
General public awareness a la EFF?
Writing a book like Data and Goliath (auth. Bruce "Daddy" Schneier)?

Mostly development of botnet-free software alternatives which will be usable to normies as well as 1337 Jow Forumsentoomen.

So why not help in the development of already open sores projects that focus on this already instead?

Before I go, I could also suggest that we find means to debotnet already existing software. As you said, "don't reinvent the wheel". I imagine we'd need more manpower to make our own software, and it'd need to offer something new to draw attention. Longer term goals.

Because they are all disconnected from each other. Of course, we won't be reinventing the wheel, if software already exists we'll recommend it to everyone who listens to us. Also working on someone else's code is sometimes harder than just remaking it.
Yes, perhaps that's he better solution, like ungoogled chromium did. We'll be remaking things only if similar don't already exist.

So to get this straight your idea of this is as far from the Unix philosophy as possible? A non-botnet expanded systemd?

Why do you think that? We just want the basic tools which respect privacy for a change. It won't be a bundle or anything, just different software without the botnet and you can choose which you'll use.

You just mentioned that the other tools are disconnected from each other

Oh right, disconnected as in that they may collide the use development or use style. By developing our own software, we would have a consistent use style and flow for example.

Oh, ok fair enough then, cheers

ooffff so close
also OP can you make this a general?
looks like /pg/ is not taken for anything on Jow Forums as i normally search generals by terminal using yottu anyway.
Privacy general and let's keep talking about this.
my suggestion to add here is rocketmail which i think has a few good features.

That's a good idea, I'll make it, I just need a preset haha.

darksnake#5358 on BotnetChat

Attached: 20170923_220355.jpg (960x1280, 181K)

>nothing from collecting our data
how can you be sure about that. What different can cockli be from Protonmail? You don't know the backend.

PGP on everything and fuck your provider (paid own domain, that's it)

prism-break.org is a list of pointers.

channel is invite only

>all these newfags joining IRC and exposing their real IP

Nice bait OP