Proton, a modified version of WINE for playing Windows games on Linux

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

>Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components

Attached: valve-360x203.jpg (360x203, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHOk9VAmMo8
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

based valve actively killing windows

>still cant handle anticheat preventing playing 90% of the games people actually want to play
OH NO NO NO NO
MY FORKNIFE!

What do you mean by 'still' and what do you mean by 90%?

don't get it. what's the market for this, besides people that really, really, really HATE windows?

can i play hitman?

In case M$ goes full proprietary with Xbox on Windows. Their entire business would crumble if that happened.

Anyone dug through the source? Any botnet in there?

>based on Wine
It's fucking nothing. False alarm people.

So when will someone make a retard friendly version without all the Steam cancer?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518237788217.jpg (4000x3000, 1.97M)

>it's literally just wine + some shell scripts to help out brainlets

Dropped. I'll be buying my games from GOG.com from now on.

I dont get your stance on this.

I own only linux devices and if I were to game, I'd somehow do it for my hate of windows? I like that I'll get more games added to my game library. And valve is sending all patches upstream so I'll get the benefits for those no questions asked.

Not that you asked, but I prefer to admin our linux servers on linux and thus only use linux. I have had no real life usage for windows for years now

> Ignoring that now valve is actively working on compatibility and pushing their work upstream.
Say what you want, but this is actually really good.

i've barely played any games in the past 10 years but that's neat

VALVE IS BACK BABEE

>importing WINE makes them good again
Don't kid yourself. Valve still accomplish fuck all.

Will it be better than wine, you Jow Forumsuys?

whatever they change in wine can be added to mainline wine, so it doesn't really make sense to ask if it's better than wine
it's just a wrapper for wine, valve's 'playonlinux'

does this mean i can run windows steam games from the linux client?
not having to spin up the windows version of steam would be nice

I don't see anybody else trying

and that's a good thing

this is a good question, does it work as a separate package without steam?

yes it does, just join the beta

BASED

welcome to yesterday

>does it work as a separate package without steam?
but that's what wine is, what exactly are you expecting?

If you're talking about Hitman 2016, it's already natively on Linux

it's not clear if there are other components beside wine to make it work, what exactly is proton anyway?

it's a component of steam which uses wine to run windows games from the linux and macos steam clients

tfw cant install it

I'll move to Linux when they get foobar native

Now all they have to do is make Half Life 3 a Linux exclusive.

this. except I haven't had real life usage for windows for 10+ years not a few.
Sometimes I gayme a few hours a month, and now I can have more of a selection to not play.

tfw

Attached: 2018-08-22-192323_1024x768_scrot.png (527x66, 2K)

I know for a fact DOOM has some pretty advanced DRM and it's one of the supported titles in beta. They specifically mentioned that only games with some very specific and highly complex DRM measures will be incompatible.

Proton is the compatibility layer and it is completely open source. You can pull it from GitHub and build it, which means it will likely be included as a separate package and will be available to be installed separately from the Steam client, possibly even on distros where the Steam client is not included in the default repositories. It is not just WINE, there are several components, all of which Valve is contributing to or actively developing.

I should also add that while Proton will be available without the Steam client, the Steam client will likely include the tools and such to automagically configure games running on Proton so they will be compatible, as currently with WINE each game or piece of software requires its own tweaks and configurations. Valve may or may not include this with Proton, I don't know, but even if they don't all it means is you have to follow guides for configuring things if you don't want to use the Steam client.

Downgrade your pythons.

to which version?

Do you literally know nothing about python? paren-less print is a python2 thing

They also forked Wine. I hope they'll push their changes upstream.

They're trying their hardest according to the blog post they made. Only problem is Proton is comprised party of C++ code and that's a big no from the wine devs.

>and that's a big no from the wine devs.
Why though?

Thanks for the info

They want to ensure compatibility between mac, linux, BSD and probably android.

That would be genius

I've already directly emailed Valve devs to release Artifact a week early on Linux. I have no idea how they're doing in that front.

Microsoft has been planning for quite sometime to prevent the installing of any application in Windows 10 not done through app store, and will use this as a push to kill steam and corral the PC game's distribution market. This is Valve's life insurance.

Hitman 2 and blood money work. Don't know about others.

>besides people that really, really, really HATE windows?

So the average Lunix fanboy?

Attached: 654645654.jpg (850x400, 43K)

It's valve's backup plan in case windows goes full retard and only supports software from the ms store

I've only used linux a few times and I'm not familiar with it, but from my experience with windows all I want to do is leave it. I would be using macOS if I could.

>a multibillion dolar company is investing to push wine development so anyone can use windows stuff on linux
>somehow this is a bad thing

Get out of here, just'd kike chill.

>DOOM has some pretty advanced DRM
didn't they remove denuvo post launch?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHOk9VAmMo8

Do I have to redownload my steam games or can I just copy them from my windows installation? Never used Linux but now my only barrier is my slow internet connection.

afaik you can just copy them

>I don't see why people don't want an industry that completely relies on Microsoft products which are in a monopoly position where we are completely relying on them and don't get to say a single word in the support or development process.

Brainlet

They did

Nice, I'll have to try it out now. I guess 2018 really is the year of the linux desktop.

I'm soon gonna drop my Win7 install and fully switch.

The only reason I use windows is for CAD and games. I can figure out a CAD alternative so now there's zero reason to stay with gay ass windows.

Attempted to play a couple of games on the supported list. Updated all my packages before attempting. Here's Nier Automata.

Attached: nier.png (1603x926, 19K)

Tekken 7. Oh well, it's beta software, maybe it will be fixed some day.

Attached: tekken7.png (1280x717, 954K)

The thing holding me back was WoW dropping OpenGL.
I've tried it with esync-patched wine on lutris (basically just the install script) and it is ok, but i do hope a proton runner would do that tick of magic it still is behind (occasional hiccups)
Was full on Linux before.

Linux powered game consoles.

>Oh well, it's beta software, maybe it will be fixed some day.
Linux in a nutshell

UNIRONICALLY BASED AND REDPILLED

Attached: edapproval.png (532x582, 347K)

read this page from the proton github: github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md

I think it has info that can help fix that DX11 bug. Cheers.

>Oh well, it will be fixed on the next paid version that for some reason will have four times the bloat and a physical DRM usb dongle

Sorry buddy but that's not things work in the Linux world. They don't want something that
always works. It only has to work most of the time.

Some rich fuck needs to donate a whole mess of wonga to the DXVK and Wine projects. Deliverance cannot come soon enough.

Open Steam, turn on beta, turn on Staem Play option for proton, add steamapps folder with Winsuck games. Try and open game. That's it.

PS4 is powered by a custom BSD.

Is this coming to OSX?

I played some games with Wine in the day it actually worked well whenever I tried it.

I'm gonna try to run DOOM on my 2013 macbook pro running arch. See you in hell

Letting your entire ecosystem get locked in by one vendor is a horrible idea.
Especially when that vendor has a history of FORCING you to charge people for DLC you wanted to give out for free on their other locked platform.

Wonder why Apple isn't doing more. They already have a much more advanced OS than Loonix with the professional software support of Windows, getting couple gaymers and mostly gaming devs on board, while showing MS the finger would be a great move. Plus they could've advertise the new MacMini as a console too.

The modern shit relies on Vulkan and Applel went the Metal way.

>They already have a much more advanced OS than Loonix

Attached: quandumb.jpg (1200x1000, 174K)

Thanks bro that actually worked, although they got the name of their own package wrong. Tekken 7 works but there's a performance penalty so I'll have to turn graphics settings down a bit.

glad to help

MoltenVK looks promising. I imagine it would work with DXVK. :)

this just in: The DXVK files in Proton are build with DEBUG settings due to something in the build system. Your performance may be lower than what it should be. The people at Valve are looking into it since they themselves found out about an hour ago.

>they got the name of their own package wrong.
What package? I'll report it to Valve right now to get it fixed.

Attached: 1499241440985.png (514x731, 454K)

And the bug got fixed. Restart your Steam.

Valve are the ones funding DXVK and they're working with wine upstream as well.

Is this shit even legal? Consoletards ban emulators all the time so how is this fine? Are publishers ok with that? Just asking, I'm glad windows will be kill asap. thanks valve

So how does this work around vac, vacnet and denuvo?

Good, nobody should put up with having that spyware on their computer anyway

>Proton
ugly ass name

S T E A M
M A C H I N E S

Attached: wonga.jpg (667x315, 40K)

>M$
Are you twelve? Do you think "$team" isn't doing it exclusively for monetary reasons? These retards that hate companies just because they think it makes them cool are pure cancer.

Steam is actually horrible, but for one MS totally earned the scorn with their cancerous practices that make most companies sans Oracle look like saints, and more importantly this time Valve's actions benefited basically everyone but MS, their motive is irrelevant.

It's not emulation.

If Oracle can sue Google for using their API's so could MS in regards to Wine. However, that would damage their "new and kewl Microsoft" image they've been going lately and probably isn't worth the hassle.
Wine has been around forever so they would've done that a long time ago if they wanted.

Wine is also pretty much irrelevant. If it happens to get big enough to draw people away from Winshit, there is no way they wouldn't sue.

No Reddit, you do it because you hate Linux. COPE.

And this is why DRM is trash. We fucking told you so.

Attached: 1517320062232.jpg (1000x1000, 79K)

Attached: Untitled.png (850x400, 104K)

I doubt it would damage their image. Even though they bought github and they try to pretend to be more open and shit, still I would expect from them to pull off some lawsuit if necessary, 1 week of complains on social media and everything would go back to normal. People have very short memory nowadays.