Is having more threads better for basically everything aside from gayming?

is having more threads better for basically everything aside from gayming?

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-Price-Cuts[1].jpg (640x360, 51K)

It's better for literally everything, provided the developers of the software properly threaded their programs.

It doesn't do a whole lot for web browsing, media playback, or anything mundane like that.

Its snake oil

Yes if everything means synthetic benchmark AMDrones jerk off too. For the vast majority of applications single core performance is king.

Yes, because you have an operating system underneath your machine, also threading away and gobbling up cycles. Anybody who disagrees, may I remind you: single-tasking MS-DOS went away a long time ago.

Do you literally stop every running process before starting a new one?

What are context switches and why didnt they teach me this at Burger U.

I feel like I've read this thead before. Wtf

No. For mundane, day to day things, things stop scaling for more threads rather quickly, so higher clock speed quickly becomes far more important. Moar corez generally only benefits really intensive, workstation- and server-oriented workloads. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed or delusional.

Wh don't we use single core processors anymore, intard?

>moar niggahurtz
Jesus fucking Christ is this 2002? Single core performance has pretty much stagnated for almost 10 years, get over it faggot.

that's wrong. IPC has increased as have average (non-boost) clock speeds
basically single core IPC is what I am talking about, stop being a pedant

So that's why sandy bridge is still very viable for gayms even to this day huh? Dumb faggot kys, moar coars will be the future for eternity.

>hurrrrr CPU from literally 7-8 years ago isn't viable durrr
compare it to some AMD shit from even like 2-3 years later and it was still more viable for the price kek

anyway I don't care about your gay slap fight bullshit, I will continue to do what any rational person does and buy the best for the job. I have Ryzen in my home server and intel for everything else.

fuck off kiddo

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

my sleep is unaffected by my choice in processors you delusional teenage faggot

Keep telling yourself that.

>single core performance is king
Yeah, except we run dozens of single core applications in parallel.

>We wuz kangs

if i want to run a lot of vms 24/7 more threads are better though right?

accurate for web browsing, not accurate for media playback in video, video will use many threads.

gaming depends on the game, but almost all games will always need 1 big thread to control a lot and branch off to others. vulkan & dx12 make graphics expand across many cores far better than previously..

browser engines (except mozilla servo engine) is a great example of how to code shit completely terribly. They are so fucking bad at rendering that they have to fork javascript off to other processes as well as their browser GUI, however it still works like fucking garbage.
Rendering multi-core, correctly, will bring about 800% battery gains to mobile devices.

some browsers can keep each tab/extension on a different process, so you could realistically run multiple cpu heavy tabs (I know, fucking retarded) in different cores

almost all browsers do that. It's absolutely fucking terrible, battery & performance wise. But it's the best their lazy asses can do.

Yes!

Playing video will only tax CPU threads if you're rendering something not covered by your video encoder/decoder.

Yeah, gaming threads belong on /v/ and /vg/.

I'm aware, should reply to the guy who thinks it taxes 1 thread on a CPU. the CPU handles sending data to the GPU, that's about it