RISC-V

Thoughts on RISC-V? Is it the future or a meme?

Attached: riscv.jpg (2800x1980, 315K)

fuuture of mems mayb

If it stays embedded only, then it's automatically a meme shit.
If it requires any amount of proprietary software/firmware to operate, then it's automatically shit.

If it can provide an open platform in an extensible system (desktop mobo) like the Talos workstations/servers then it has a future.

Dev boards (hifive-unleashed) cost $999

I wish i could play with shit like this :^/
is there anything cheaper?

SPARC gear goes for cheap, especially server stuff that doesn't appeal to the "muh retro aesthetics" crowd.

ask again in 5 to 10 years.. this shit need time...

Attached: tumblr_o0g3tqIbrU1tqzrm7o1_1280[1].jpg (1272x544, 109K)

soi nu male meme, useless crap

Embedded is what I am most exited about. My HiFive 1 just shipped.

no future unless some serious software development on it
a giant like microsoft or apple. maybe google if they wanted to.
linux or bsd isn't going to do it. for instance linux on sparc, PPC, or alpha didn't save them.

can it emulate x86 without considerable performance loss eventually?

SPARC will forever live in my heart.
And in my house, seeding all my torrents and storing all my cantonese basket-weaving cave paintings.

Attached: Screenshot_ConnectBot_20180823-005246_1.png (535x294, 29K)

Half the staff is old fucks, and I don't even recall seeing a woman on staff. There were more women working at Intel during the 8086 development

>linux or bsd isn't going to do it
My thoughts exactly going half a year back.
However, there are a decent number of companies invested in this. Certain laptop manufacturers could get into using the chips once all the necessary GNU Linux software has been ported.
But in the long run, there needs to be a new operating system to replace all the old cruft.

Seems risc-y.

it's worth it

RISC will be the future, specifically because it's quick and easy to design and cheap to make. Maybe one day we'll have hobbyist groups that pool money together and make a few dozen homebrew processors a year in a rented warehouse.

Any old PowerPC G4 Mac, or maybe a G5. They're almost always going for less than $100 on eBay.

>linux or bsd isn't going to do it. for instance linux on sparc, PPC, or alpha didn't save them.
This is incorrect. Linux and BSD have saved ARM and POWER. ARM runs almost exclusively on Linux now, and IBM POWER runs mostly RHEL or AIX. PARC was never really marketed towards consumers, and was sort of a niche enterprise thing for as long as I've been using it. Alpha? Even more so.

No. It would be able to emulate x86 using software only, which means you won't be able to run anything more modern than maybe Windows XP with decent performance, not including any software you might want to run on top of that.

>>No. It would be able to emulate x86 using software only, which means you won't be able to run anything more modern than maybe Windows XP with decent performance, not including any software you might want to run on top of that.
DOA

Just recompile your software dont see the issue.

Much of Jow Forums at this point seems to be useds of proprietary software, far too brainwashed to grasp the concept of 'recompiling your software'. Emphasis on your. It's your computer after all.

there's an arduino compatible version with a lower spec processor that goes for $59

Yes, you're an utter fucking dolt who needed to be spoonfed an explanation as to how a MIPS-like chip is not compatible with x86 software. It's not "dead on arrival" because of incompatibility with your shitty numale bideo bames. Now go back to your containment board, faggot.

Model or link to it?

clinging to backwards compatibility holds back progress