/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534982937591.png (602x500, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.musl-libc.org/compatibility.html
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217107
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=184640
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install GuixSD.

GuixSD

Install it.

>shilling a broken OS
gnu cutists out.

Is that even useable as part of a daily system? I thought it was for use with GNU/Hurd which last I checked was not even close to useable

What's the best distro to run on an Odroid XU4

Attached: Jane.png (342x575, 384K)

lol

Yes of course. The package manager is "hackable" as fuck, and even though it's developed to be libre software by default there is nothing stopping you from breaking out of that mold.

For example on my laptop I've replaced the Linux-Libre it comes with with normal Linux so my wifi works out of the box. On my desktop I got Steam working under GuixSD (took me a fucking week but I did it).
It can basically be anything you want.

Are there any modernish Linux distros that come with a retro UI out of the box? Like KDE1 or something? I know that KDE1 was restored recently but I don't really want to compile it myself. I really hate flat shit pig disgusting UIs and I want decent performance more than I want flashy animations. I've already tried that GNUSTEP live CD and I didn't like it at all.

Attached: 1528353837659.jpg (750x514, 23K)

>Are there any modernish Linux distros that come with a retro UI out of the box?
>retro UI
siiiiiiiiick dude i lOVE retro sTUFF

install reactOS

GUI toolkits are themeable. Basically all you're ever going to see is GTK and Qt (and maybe not even Qt at all), so the look of your system is going to largely just depend on your GTK theme. Just get an oldschool looking one.
You also have the option of going for something genuinely lightweight instead of something that just looks lightweight. For instance you can get just a plain window manager by itself without installing a full desktop environment. Check out OpenBox for example

You are asking if old versions of a window manager will be compatible with the modern Linux kernel? Hmmmmm...

Why dont you use i3 or awesome to reduce bloat. Or xfce. Otherwise ask your question in the dumb questions thread next time.

What are some cool daemons I can put inside my Linux computer?

mpd
transmission-daemon
a cron daemon

So a hipster gentoo? What exactly is wrong with gentoo?

>a cron daemon
>his init system doesn't have timers
user, I...

Attached: systemdont.jpg (1024x678, 123K)

>his system has BINARY logs
>cron fails
>check log
>LOG WAS CORRUPT HAS BEEN ROTATED
>ok where is the log before it corrupted
>WHY WOULD ANYONE POSSIBLY WANT TO HAVE THAT INFORMATION IN THEIR SYSTEM?
>pic related

Attached: typical.png (407x123, 4K)

I thought we fucking banned Poettering from these threads already. Somebody get the mods, he's shitposting again

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Can anyone give some opinions on Musl? I've heard that it's better but that it has compatibility issues. What kind of programs would it be incompatible with?

If I'm using a mac or a pc am I most certainly being watched for everything I do no matter what? Does the built-in spyware removal tools do anything at all?

What got you into Linux

Linux is a kernel.

wiki.musl-libc.org/compatibility.html

gimp: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgegl-0.4.so.0: undefined symbol: babl_format_with_space

Trying to open GIMP, get this error. I have no fucking clue what this means.

I finally got a "real job" and we are using Ubuntu 18. It comes with gnome and the orange and purple backdrop was making me physically ill. I installed gnome-tweaks to make it a little less horrible. What themes do you recommend? should I change out gnome for something better or just stick with it. It's just a work laptop so I'm trying to make it look not horrible.

Elaborate?

I'm the 1st quote and I was referring to the kernel. Please be more careful.

reinstall libegl

Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

one of these days I'm hopefully going to see this fabled journal corruption.

>I'm hopefully going to see this fabled journal corruption.
i managed to fuck mine awhile back, no idea how i did it though.

Hey guys, how do I open more than one window to switch between? I currently have X installed with no WM or DE and I can open a browser just fine, the only problem is that I cannot have any other window open. Is it possible to alt tab between a browser and a terminal with just X installed? If its just a simple modification to the xinitrc file please let me know, thank you (using arch)

Attached: 1533722208981.png (602x500, 55K)

>the only problem is that I cannot have any other window open. Is it possible to alt tab between a browser and a terminal with just X installed? If its just a simple modification to the xinitrc file please let me know, thank you (using arch)
yes, install a WM or write your own. xorg isn't a WM guy, stop asking dumb questions

interesting.. i didn't know you could only use X
have you tried xdotool ?

Which distro do you use?

Specifically, does a WM's functionality just range from stretching windows, min/maximizing and having more than 1 window up? Will I have to invoke something else if I install a window manager (right now I just startx) or will I start it using a WM client or something

I haven't let me look into that, I'm totally new so I dont know much

arch

Go to your favorite vegan gluten free search engine and search and youll see years of journal corruption in multiple use cases and varying aspects.

every few weeks journalctl likes ot corrupt my binary logs and then rotate them without the slightest inclination of what exactly fucking went down.

you'll configure your xinitrc to start the WM

Fucking based!

Any recommendations for window managers? I prefer one not bloated or used to supplement DE's

fluxbox

What about for tiling WM's? I think that might be more appropriate given I trying to be as minimalist as possible

>I prefer one not bloated or used to supplement DE's
For what its worth, the notion of bloat or botnet Jow Forums likes to meme about is retarded. don't make software choices based on something as stupid as some clueless idiots on an Egyptian basketweaving. that said, in terms of getting a DE that consists of just xorg and a WM, i had the best luck with suckless' i3

using systemd since systmed was the standard on most distributions on 5+ devices and yet to have muh corruption

Thanks mate

How breakable is Arch really? I am on Linux Mint currently and I notice that, in my experience, it has several issues, the most notable of which being that the CLI sometimes complains about cpu throttling... I am switching to Arch to see if it fixes it.

Attached: 1534990256519.webm (1024x576, 2.74M)

>How breakable is Arch really?
not nearly as bad as people claim.
The few i've ran into have been fixed by the time i got to the github issues.

fluxbox is very minimalist.,
You dont have to gimp your self with a tiling wm's nuances.

Is it fairly easy to troubleshoot breaks?

CPU throttling isn't the fault of your distro; Its due to your CPU getting too hot, and throttling to prevent damage.

Take care of any '.pacnew's when you get them and your system will stay stable.

Oh... I have a laptop. Do I need to break out the compressed air?

ye, between github, the forums, and other channels, the community are usually on top of it.
Plus pacman is more robust than apt in my opinion. If you update atleast once a week you should be fine. But i usually just run pacman -Syu before i install a package or AUR, anyway. Plus unlike apt, pacman actually is reasonable about dependency hell

>Plus unlike apt, pacman actually is reasonable about dependency hell
There is no dep hell in archlinux :)

I'm using compton and every single terminal except Sakura is causing buffer lag in emacs when scrolling pages
It doesn't happen on my desktop with urxvt, and I tried copying my compton and .xresources settings exactly over to my laptop (both use intel IGPUs), but to no avail.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction? Scrolling buffers causes the bottom quarter of the terminal to just lag out for a solid second

Has anyone set up Dropbox on Arch? Can't seem to get the link to link my account to the app

unironically Gentoo

Guys how exactly do I get Icecat to display symbols for characters like chinese/japanese, is it to do with my locale file? If it is should I uncomment japanese and then gen the locale file again? or is it to do with the browser

Install a CJK font such as Noto

compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

>Le ebin dependency hell memes.
You fucking retard parrot.

sudo apt install thing
>whoops looks like i can't install that because you need this x86 lib :^)
>whoops looks like this is version 1.0.0.1-1 you need 1.0.0.1-2 :^)
>I'm not gonna fix this simple problems though, that's not my job :^)

sudo pacman -S thing
thing

Desktop is
compton -b --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc
Laptop has buffer issues with that
Also tried the laptop with
compton --xrender-sync-fence --xrender-sync --paint-on-overlay --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc -b
with the same results.

That being said, my desktop has weird remnants of gdm floating around on it and only has an .xresources and .xsessionrc file, while my laptop doesn't have gdm whatsoever but doesn't have an .xsessionrc, everything that would go in there I have in .xinitrc
Would that maybe be the problem?

install void

*mysteriously disappears without telling anyone*
nothin personell community and core team

My trackpad keeps fucking up and I have to reload psmouse kernel module to get it working. What can I try to fix it permanently?

Attached: lookatme.jpg (290x470, 22K)

Not OP but my C2D T7300 doesn't have fully working video drivers in ReactOS. It falls back to the generic driver and doesn't go higher than 1024x768. I mean, it "works", but the display is 1280x800 and it looks awful.

Maybe you're just retarded and fucked up.

No, you'll run into it eventually if you use apt and install things regularly.

the dependency hell meme exists because beginners usually use apt distros, add random ppas and repos to get their noemalfag shit running and then they wonder why stuff breaks

tl;dr apt can fuck up, but only if do stupid things

Does having a DM alleviate laggy refresh at all? I've got one box with some leftover bits of GNOME (namely gdm, a wayland instance (even though I use X for my WM), and a password manager I don't use) and it's buttery smooth, but another box with the same WM, compositor settings, etc but without any GNOME nonsense has a lot of choppy issues

>arch
>libc++
>makepkg
I'm reading discussions about what makes this have complications but I'm not understanding well.

Arch Keyring doesn't support PGP signatures to verify authenticity. Okay so I import the key and automate retrieval using gpg. But once a key has been submitted to a keyserver, it cannot be deleted from the server. Also you can skip the authenticity check, but what are the implications?

What's the benefit of choosing any of the 3 options?
>Import key without automating
>Import key with automating (but cant remove it)
>Skip they key

Look at that watermark

Anyone know of a font package that you've been happy with? Just want to get rid of all the unfound characters

Is there a way for me to verify my editor is actually using tabs and not spaces? If I move the cursor into whitespace it acts like a space but I've set everything to tabs so I'm unsure

Hey friendos, I just updated to linuxmint 19 but playonlinux started givon me guff with "errow with POL_Wine" what gives? Just trying to play OpenMW. Going back to 18.1 cuz thats WHACK

turn on render all characters.
if you can't do that find a new editor.

Did you honestly ask this question without saying what editor you're using?

Guide to installing windows 10 on qemu? Would stuff like networking work out of the box or would it require more setup?

whenever i turn off/shutdown my laptop, right before laptop completely shut off,the speaker make loud popping noise. i've already disable power saving intel hda sound driver both with editing config and editing kernel boot parameter, also i've already blacklisting pcspkr module but the problem still persist. I am afraid my laptop speaker will be damaged. fyi my laptop model is Thinkpad X230, the sound chip according alsamixer is ALC269VC and running Manjaro KDE 17.1.12 fully updated.

anyone can help me?

Using a VM for arch as well as using XFCE4. Wondering how I can correct the time on the clock? I kinda want to rice it a little bit before I use this as a small workstation.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-23_04-55-59.png (1920x1080, 864K)

humm, when I used arch I used yandex disk, its in the AUR, it was pretty easy to setup and use.

apt is a piece of fucking shit, like anything else that isn't Portage.

It's probably a long shot, but you can try disabling flat-volumes. I always associate sudden loud noises involving pulseaudio with flat-volumes.

Are you even using pulse?

Turns out I just needed to download some optional dependencies. Now trying to get some kind of alsa thing on my toolbar to control volume

alsamixer is all i use, but i also use i3wm

>Anyone know of a font package that you've been happy with? Just want to get rid of all the unfound characters
pacman -S adobe-source-han-sans-otc-fonts cantarell-fonts dina-font gsfonts otf-latinmodern-math terminus-font ttf-dejavu ttf-freefont ttf-liberation ttf-ms-fonts ttf-oxygen xorg-fonts-75dpi xorg-fonts-alias xorg-fonts-cyrillic xorg-fonts-encodings xorg-fonts-misc xorg-fonts-type1 xorg-font-util

some places
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217107
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=184640

Just installed Manjaro but for some reason I cannot get my TP link AC1300 T4U to work with it despite it showing up in network connections. What autistic thing am I doing wrong here?

So for the past 8 years I haven't owned a desktop PC, doing all of my computing on laptops. For the past 2 years, my laptop of choice was a T420 running Xubuntu.

It's been working fine so far, but now that winter is coming around and none of my hobbies are snow compatible, I want to play video games after work again. The Thinkpad is struggling even with OpenMW and Deus Ex and I'd like a bigger monitor again, so I've been thinking about getting a cheap (~300 €, 500 max) PC for this. My plan is to install Xubuntu, i3 as WM, and run my games through wine. Is this a good plan? Should I dual boot Windows instead? Should I use a Windows VM with GPU passthrough? Does my choice of GPU matter in this case?

I've been out of the loop in terms of pc parts for a while now, all I know is that mid- and high end GPU prices went up thanks to miners. The guides I can find online mostly talk about gaming rigs that are dedicated to Windows; I would like to avoid running Windows at all, especially bare metal.

no

Attached: Untitled.png (850x400, 104K)

trying to get Discord (yeah i know) working with apulse & obmenu-generator.
When i type APULSE_CAPTURE_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 APULSE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 apulse ~/Discord/Discord it works, both audio and mic are picked up. When i then add this to schema.pl in ~.config/obmeu-generator
{item => ['APULSE_CAPTURE_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 APULSE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 apulse ~/Discord/Discord', 'Discord', 'undef']},
it shits itself
>cannot execute APULSE[...]
what am i doing wrong?

Polybar works out of the box, but most Alsa stuff should /justwork/ unless you are using Firefox 53+ thay has a hard dependency on pulse.

Also use syncthing for file synchronization you monster

Just get a console. Stay away from Windows.

>playing FPS on console
I'd rather not.

>polybar
Taking a look at this now. Volume widget was the word I was looking for
>syncthing
My first time hearing about it. This is instead of Dropbox? I'm seeing it's pretty simple and secure

alright, got it working
~/bin/discord
#!/bin/sh
APULSE_CAPTURE_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 APULSE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE=plughw:2,0 apulse ~/Discord/Discord
schema.pl entry
{item => ['~/bin/discord', 'Discord', 'undef']},