Why people want to move to Linux so much?

Years after years I see full attempts of companies to make Linux as a thing
now I there is a thing called "Steam play" - = letting you play Windows-only games on Linux-based PCs.
I still remember the "wine" when I was using Debian ( feelsgoodman )
and some people like always say "it's time to leave Windows, it's time to move to Linux, the end of Windows" and blalalal
but I don't understand for what? Linux is not for the average user, it is for a user who understands PC
I do not think the average user wants to use a system that is mostly based on console commands
Linux is too complicated for the average user who just wants to run things with a click like he does on Windows
and the worst part is that most of them are probably going to use a Linux Vista known as Ubuntu or Mac shit
perhaps they will be offered to use Chalet or ZorinOS because it is similar but still it will not be easy for them
look I'm not against Linux, I'm totally in favor
but try to see it from the side of the simple user, how he will get along with it
a complicated interface will only keep the user away from it

Attached: ajGAXBA5_700w_0.jpg (700x744, 130K)

Nice blog post bitch

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

ok?
yeah, I know that mate. I didn't write it because I know people here know what I'm talking about

Because you don't need a workaround in order to not install the latest enterprise software breaking updates.

what do you mean about that?

>why people want to move to Linux so much?
Freedom and flexibility.
>Linux is not for the average user
GNU/Linux is for everyone. It has some rough edges right now but things are changing.
>a system that is mostly based on console commands
There are people right now who are working hard so that a user would never need to use CLI. Actually, as an openSUSE user, I don't remember the last time I used CLI other than for package management needs.
>Linux is too complicated for the average user who just wants to run things with a click like he does on Windows
With appstores, flatpaks, etc. it's even easier. Also, most of the people have no idea how to do anything system related in Windows too.
>try to see it from the side of the simple user
there are people who are doing exactly that (look at ElementaryOS) and the are already relatively successful.

The only big problem with GNU/Linux is a dodgy hardware support.

Attached: enlightenment.bluesteel.png (640x480, 184K)

I hope you are only pretending to be retarded

Breaking the Microsoft Monopoly is best for consumers. Also (and my personal reason) windows 10 updates break constantly. My last 3 updates with my laptop I have to reinstall from my backup...thank fucking Christ I had backups.

Also telemetry and advertising in the start menu. Really it's all just too much anymore.

There have been thousands of reported incidents across the business world that forced microsoft to provide special services in deferring updates across multiple corporate active directories. It is, however, a workaround, and fails quite a bit. On the smaller business deal of things that can't afford the techstaff nor microsoft to come out with technicians, losing weeks of hard work due to arbetrary forced updates. There have even been reports of hospitals losing an MRI because Windows 10 had a fucking update that was more important than a human's fucking life.

Windows is a sinking ship, and it's sinking fast as fuck. People are finally done with their crap, and have opted to leave in search of something better out there.

Linux is not for average user?
False. Configuring windows is more difficult than linux. And out of the box mainstream distros are as simple to use as windows. Average user (eg my parents) don't even know difference between xfce desktop and windows7.

I think that the only major issue with Linux usability is that 1, MS Office doesn't work out-of-the-box. 2, they can't figure out how to get their "comfy apps." 3, there aren't enough of the familiar "wizards" that they have grown accustom to. If debian had it so double clicking a .deb file opened up a wizard, people would do far better with linux than they are now.

>adverb subject verb object?
This sentence structure is the sign of a filthy illiterate non English native.

>Freedom
In my opinion, the average person only browses the Internet and watches movies
It does not matter to him how things look on the computer, maybe just the background
-
>flexibility
you goddamn right about that!
-
>GNU/Linux is for everyone
I told my friends to try Debian because they have a slow laptop and they "suffered" from it, they did not want to touch it anymore because it's complicated for them, I got a trigger so much!
-
>CLI.
sound good!
-
>Linux is too complicated
yeah I also forgot that some people are dumb for the simplest things, you right about that
-
>GNU/Linux is a dodgy hardware support.
I think that's the only thing that prevents me from switching to Linux (because I'm a student right now)
-
why that?
-
yes please! every monopoly is bad in my opinion!
-
>>"Configuring windows"
the first thing people do is changing the background photo and download chrome/firefox
put some music and install office
I never saw average user starting to change a thing in settings ( maybe resolution and language or time and that's it)
-
I use LibreOffice and it works great

Yesh my English is not so good I'm very sorry if it bothers you too much

nice quads bitch

I don't know if Jow Forums knows this, but most people don't have desktops or laptops for personal use.
Everybody just uses their phones
only college students/hobbyists have laptops
only gamers/hobbyists have desktop
windows is already too complicated to most people and it's becoming more obscure as gen z grows up

Wrong. Business in the modern world is 95% sitting in front of a desktop machine running Windows.

>>>>Business
no person owns desktops
office jobs still use windows
but not every job is an office job

And unfortunately using chrome

>average person only browses the Internet and watches movies
Yep, everything is Chrome now, that's why the choice of the OS itself is not a big issue. It can be Windows, it can be MacOS but most of the time it's ANDROID.
Some people do care about their privacy, though. In fact, Privacy is the latest marketing gimmick, that is why every fucking botnet tells you how important your privacy is for them.
>I told my friends to try Debian
why don't you do with a fucking Gentoo right away?
Debian is an intermediate distro. You should at least now a few things about GNU/Linux way to setup it properly. Also, latest Debian is literally unusable on my system.

All in all, I would say that a few hardware related issues aside (when will GPUs become a first class citizen?), some GNU/Linux distros are more than capable to satisfy your average computer user who basically wants Android style OS on his computer.

Office space is not ready for GNU/Linux yet, though. And that's actually where all the money are, and Microsoft knows that, that's why they try to make MS Office as incompatible with everything else as they can.

Attached: 1508623766789.gif (500x333, 967K)

Where I live in the US the only non-office jobs are completely taken over by mexicans or blacks for retail. There is accasionally a dropout deadbeat, but 99.9% of the working class manual labor jobs are mexicans, except the contractor, who sits around all day on his laptop in a van somewhere.

I don't know why he's mad so much

We all know how much Microsoft and Apple suck balls.

this, witnessed