GPU PASSTHROUGH

has anyone actually successfully done gpu passthrough so that you get at least 80% native performance? it seems nearly impossible for me to get it to work. every time i try there's massive issues and remarkedly shittier performance

is this a waste of time or what? the people that claim 98% are like linux dads who don't actually play games or do anything that would require the proper performance

post passthrough experiences within

Attached: 1520671219095.png (493x395, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gnif/LookingGlass
vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html
pastebin.com/WEsbWWnS
lime-technology.com/
lutris.net/games/path-of-exile/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump for curiosity

id say performance overhead for GPU is negligible
disk I/O is a bit a slower
latency can also be a problem
overall it's a lot smoother than dualbooting

Same. Also interested in experiences with github.com/gnif/LookingGlass

my gpu performed really bad on a benchmark but im not sure what i fucked up this time around

my gpu alone did get a relatively decent becnhmark when i tried it a year ago but it was still pretty bogus performance overall

the overhead on those things is also huge if you dont tweak it, and the route to tweaking it is not so clear

Attached: 1521246075918.png (1490x1208, 754K)

this is pmuch the reference:
vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html

getting it to work is not that hard if you have the right hardware but getting everything right including mouse/kb, audio etc can be a bitch

there are a lot of things that can influence performance:
- MSI interrupts in the windows guests (need to edit registry)
- cpu governor/etc. on the host (controlled with cpupower)
- hugepages for memory

How the fuck did Linus do 7 players 1 CPU, they were virtualizing windows, am I not right?

What were they using for multiple players to play crysis?

Attached: 91B06CF1-4F52-4C03-BB32-7938F41DC902.jpg (2100x2100, 708K)

I'm curious too. I managed to get it working once with a GTX 970 as the passthroughed card, it's been a while but I think these were my findings:

Deus Ex Human Revolution ran at about 45 fps 1080p, felt pretty bad.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided crash on startup
Left 4 Dead 2 ran at literally 1 fps or lower, like it couldn't find the GPU or something.
I then stopped using it because having to use two monitors/mice/keyboards was getting annoying and the heat was oppressive.

vCPU affinity can also be a problem
anyway in my limited experience its pretty close to metal

Attached: works_for_me.png (200x193, 30K)

STOP THINKING YOU SHALL PASS

>has anyone actually successfully done gpu passthrough so that you get at least 80% native performance?
I've gotten close to 100% performance. For disks I've gotten very good performance. Pic related

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 00.55.50.png (3730x1452, 363K)

You have to have a processor that supports virtualization (VT-d on intel) (Vi on AMD) and a kvm switch.

thanks for the tip mustafasir. also to anyone else trying this out: you need your ethernet cable plugged in and preferably a mouse and keyboard

can you post your config? also does this translate to fps in video games as well?

Attached: 1527087654979.jpg (263x273, 21K)

>can you post your config?
It's long gone, those benchmarks are from April. I did some experiments with passing through a physically remote device to Qemu by hooking on the mdev API in KVM.

>also does this translate to fps in video games as well?
Latency is an issue, so not sure. Never looked at fps, only artificial benchmarks with CUDA.

they key is optimizing the cpu
use cpu pinning

It's not really worth it unless you have only one computer imo. Just Have a desktop for gaming and a laptop for linux. Booting up the vm takes just as much time as simply dual booting too.

>Running microshaft cock in anyway way shape or form
kill yourself

my conf
pastebin.com/WEsbWWnS

lime-technology.com/

I got OK experience with it I guess.
Audio crackling and popping all the time until I set the windows audio service to cpu 3 and set isolcpu to cpu 4 on host. Now it's less often but still there.

I've got 100%gpu pass through with an arch vfio
The GPU is really the only thing that affects my performance as I can only lend 6 of my 8 cores

i don't have the space to set up two computers. if it worked it would be infinitely more convenient than dual booting

i have cpu pinning set up but its still pretty bad performance in general

Attached: 1522437149310.png (253x199, 6K)

You shall not pass(through)

I get decent performance but I don't benchmark or anything. One good trick I found is to use spice for audio so you don't get tons of crackling.

this can help mayb:
/usr/bin/cpupower set -b 0
/usr/bin/cpupower idle-set -D 100
/usr/bin/cpupower frequency-set -g performance

i swear the fuckin captcha is trollin me

cant do it without running gentoo and downloading fifty patches from sketchy github pages and trawling forums and support boards and subreddits and shitty blog sites to find the correct xml config to get it working

you can do it on any recent distro with vanilla stuff but yeah its a bit like that

how do you use spice for audio? i actually don't have audio at all right now even tho ive tried every driver and tried adding options to route it to pulseaudio

im getting like 40/50% native performance right now. i dont know if i want to wipe my windows ssd for that though (and it has to be a wipe since the i/o is so insanely high on anything but ssd). im exhausted for now so ill have to try the cpupower tomorrow

Some select AMD GPU cards might crash the host if all the CPUs are fully utilised (i.e playing CPU intensive games such as Total War or Kingdom Come). To mitigate this, enable irqpoll and at least reserve 1 CPU core for the host.

Did you use host-passthrough?

now with DXVK around it is pretty useless to even bother, honestly. But yes when I did passthru I got like 95% performance
trick I found was just make the virtual system have no idea it's a virtual system

i tried playing path of exile through the steam proton solution which uses dxvk but it was unplayably laggy. im not sure if that was using it or not because it had to be launched in dx9 since it crashed on dx11. none of the other games i tried would even launch so i gave up on that pretty quick

Attached: 1522953895341.jpg (1136x1100, 360K)

yeah the model is set to host-passthrough

yea their implementation lacks scripts for a lot of games still.
lutris.net/games/path-of-exile/
not much info vs other games it seems, nobody even reported how well it works.
Lutris is basically where steam is copying honestly.

Don't waste the time or effort with the hassle. Just dual boot if you have to windows. SSDs are cheap enough that re booting takes no time at all.

im too lazy and play games too sporadically to dual boot. whatever os i am booted into is going to dictate what im doing. i already have like 80% of the work completed for doing this i just need to know some secret performance techniques