Will SSDs ever match or surpass spinning hard drives on price per GB?

Will SSDs ever match or surpass spinning hard drives on price per GB?

Attached: HDD_and_SSD.jpg (715x450, 92K)

Eventually, yea. This happens with everything.

yes, it's already cheaper to make them parts wise. In a few years it'll be pretty much same price, that's what I'm waiting for. I just sit on my 120GB SSD and 4TB HDD until then.

Eventually.

I wonder if hipsters in the future will listen to music only on spinning drives because they think it sounds more authentic.

Attached: 9D323DA2-935F-4113-915A-1BE925563F40.png (580x380, 471K)

Unlike vinyl records and movies on film, there is no analog "authenticity" to pine for with hard drives.

I miss the creaky noises of older hard drives. Back when you could hear your computer "working". Playing Age of Empires and such just isn't the same without it.

Perhaps, but then they will probably use diskettes or floppy disks, not hard drives.

Once production of HDDs slows.

Not within the 2024 time frame at minimum.
MAMR will make 20TB drives that only cost marginally more than current drives by next year.
HAMR should surpass that if Seagate doesn't bankrupt themselves chasing it.
There isn't a massive price difference between manufacturing a 1TB drive or a 4TB right now, and in the immediate future that will be true for 10TB vs 20TB.
HDD will die because of how slow they are compared to NAND before they lose on cost per/GB.

Once LSD come out (liquid state drive)

Buy a seagate and you'll be hearing it in a week

Attached: 1481449393292.png (473x500, 8K)

>Will flat monitors ever match or surpass CRT on price per dpi?
Gee, I doubt that.

HDDs are already legacy. Fucking poorfags

they're still useful as secondary data storage as multi-terabyte ssds are absurdly expensive

couldn't someone write a program that checks disk usage and plays HDD sounds when appropriate? it could even have different sounds for different HDD models, so you could pick the only you liked the most

Not counting the later DAC-equipped displays, CRT resolution was bound to VGA RAMDACs, which were nearly always 400 MHz, so they were capped at roughly 1080p while LCDs became both cheaper and more capable (even if their response times, contrast levels, and viewing angles still suck horse balls to this day).

Now that's hipster.

it would be possible, but not realistic. say, a file on an ssd would be retrieved pretty fast, so you'd hear the sound for a very short time before it's abruptly cut off. the only fix (whilst maintaining believability) would be to actually slow read speeds somehow
tl;dr why even bother

people still use hard drives, you know?
even then, just make the sound have a minimum play time, so it keeps playing if the file was accessed too fast

>Will SSDs ever match or surpass spinning hard drives on price per GB?

Yes, it is just a matter of time.

SSD's have a clear road path to increasing storage (new nodes + stacking )

HDD's seem to require a brand new technique every few years to get to the next bump up in space.

In both cases as the processes mature prices will drop but only SSD has a clear future at this point imo

>tfw you can tell when the trophy is unlocking on ps3 because the hard drive starts making a noise

No. HDD are more reliable.

Nice try magnetic platter shills.

SSD are not capable of being written to many thousands of times.

You can write 50GB to SSDs every single day for years and it can still be used with no problems. Chances are that without heavy power fuckery, they will outlive you.

Attached: TSTBaQ7.jpg (1462x2046, 98K)

>(new nodes + stacking )
We're reaching the limits of what is physically possible (just because SSDs are relatively new doesn't mean we're at the 8086 stage of development. They're on our latest processes, we're having a hard time going smaller, and we're having to use exotic error correction already to deal with the low cell lifespan.)
Flash is already throttling due to heat. Stacking will just make it worse.

trips are truth

Wait for China

Just make ssds the size of desktop hard drives instead of making everything so fucking tiny.

Nah, audiophiles even today avoid hdd's due to mechanical noise. Vinyl is related to frequency response and iirc having low frequencies at mono rather than stero so the needle doesn't get blown off the record. There is reasoning and alternate taste behind vinyl, hdd's are just straight up (although marginally) worse.

I'll be using spinning HDD for ever. I am going to laugh when you all run out of the amount of read/writes your SSD can handle and all your precious pepe memes are corrupted. I can dig out my old HDD from my early 90s IBM laptop, and I will still be able to read and write on that thing. HDDs are here to stay. Because SSDs are so unreliable,they are are a (((trick))) to so you have to load all your personal files on the cloud. Unless you are running a server farm, and have to ability to restore corrupted data, your ssds are fucked.

based and redpilled.

Never. Phones uses the same types of materials too much. As long as apple and other phone manufacturers exist, any kind of non-phone type memory will be on the backburner and will have limited stock, effectively preventing it from getting any cheaper.

Hey granpa, I bet that car build in the 70's are also more reliable because they were made with true American Steelâ„¢ none of that bullcrap of today, right?

>130hp V8
The 70s were the worst

forget about storage and just buy LSD desu