/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pocophone F1 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Xiaomi-Pocophone-F1-price-816x459.jpg (816x459, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/
sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.itemNo=MPH6520H
youtu.be/sMWCyRijEkg?t=4465
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-reddit-897572/
amazon.com/The-NoPhone-Original-Cell-Phone/dp/B016856FDG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My carrier is super slow to send out updates. Can I update Android or the phone itself another way?

Why does every phone NEED a front facing camera?
I'd rather have one without and have more screen because of it

what about the lg g6?

My friend has money to buy a nova 3i, an honour play, or a Mi A2. Yet he's fixated on buying a used iPhone 6/s for a similar price (2014/2015) because muh ayyfone.
Help me, Jow Forums.

get better friends

Your carrier is responsible for OTA updates? They must have locked the bootloader as well, just give up.

Go to xda developers

Attached: 1492158713416.jpg (540x521, 57K)

I don't even know what's with third-worlders and iPhones. It's significantly less value for money at that price.

Reppin day note9

This is the best type of case I've found yet

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 489K)

i hate old people like you

This case is so nice, he had to post it TWICE!

Status symbol, just like how boomers in poor countries want to drive a BMW or Merc, even if it's used. It's a brand and that makes people feel validated

So my Nexus 5X finally died.
Are there any recent devices that are similar?
was thinking about the essential phone but is does not have a headphone jack which is quite essential to me. I was also looking into some Xiaomi phones, but some dont even have NFC.
Also dont want to get swindled and pimped into spending more than 300€, which is a scam in most cases.

Attached: index.jpg (225x225, 8K)

i have a p9 lite, i want to switch to a sony phone.
how's sony with bootloaders?

rather small bezel and the ability to unlock the bootloader would be nice as well. dont care too much about camera or speaker quality

when will the rounded corners meme finally die?

Pretty good, man

developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/

Was originally going to buy the Mi A2 today but now that this was announced I think I'll wait. Really not a fan of the appearance and thickness though
This

Until Apple make a Bold and New gimmick that the lower companies will follow.

Im assuming the poco f1 listed here sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.itemNo=MPH6520H is international version, but can anyone confirm?
guess i should wait™

If i buy an lg v20 off of ebay how high is the chance that im going to get bootylooped?

What kind of rounded corners? Like the ones in Xiaomi phones? I literally got used to those within the first 30 seconds.

I thought they couldn't even be purchased yet?
On the official Xiaomi India website it says you can't buy it till next Wednesday

A few suggestions:

Nokia 6.1, 7 Plus, 8
>Android One so stock Android, fast updates
>decent specs (headphone jack, USB-C, NFC etc.)
>locked bootloaders though

Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact, XA2
>Near stock Android, fast updates
>decent specs (headphone jack, USB-C, NFC etc.)
>Bootloader can be unlocked, but only a few ROMs available (XA2 has an official LineageOS build)

Redmi Note 5
>MIUI, skinned Android but has plenty of custom ROMs available
>very good specs for price but it's MicroUSB and no NFC
>Unlockable bootloader

Mi A2 Lite
>Android One, stock Android with fast updates
>good specs for price but MicroUSB and no NFC
>Unlockable bootloader

Pocophone F1
>MIUI but likely to get plenty of custom ROMs
>very good specs for the price, but again no NFC
>bootloader unlockable

Moto X4, G6 Plus
>Near stock Android, but pretty bad update support
>decent specs (USB-C, 3.5mm port, NFC)
>unlockable bootloaders, some custom ROMs available

I like the idea of a case like this, but I'd just be afraid that if I lost it/got it stolen, everything is gone at once.

just followed up on my orig question. youtu.be/sMWCyRijEkg?t=4465 says itll be launching in hong kong 27th, and it says hong kong stock on the website.

Messaged the sales manager and they said itll be ready ~30th and that its global english version. fuck it might as well order :^)

I am very tempted to follow you with that one and order from there too but I checked up the review for that site and 1/3 of the reviews are saying the website is fake.
Also reluctant to get it because I was considering the Mi Mix 2. Sure it's more expensive but I think it looks a lot better, and it has NFC which I basically live off of (NFC payments are literally everywhere in Australia)
Just can't decide to go for better specs or better looks/additional features/more compact I suppose

I'm so fucking hyped for poco. I was wondering tho, what is nfc for? I've owned many phones which had nfc but I have no idea what the purpose of it is

itt xiaomi shillers

Attached: 1535107891320.jpg (600x443, 37K)

As I said in in some places (Australia especially) it's widely used as a payment method in store with GPay. It can also be used for sending small amounts of data to your phone like webpages (think business cards that send you to their website when you use nfc with them)

I see, well I don't think it's much of a dealbreaker for me. Thank you for spoonfeeding me kind user

mmmm true, im in aus too and i use nfc every now and again so its nice to have. Launch price is approx $410 so it might be cheaper to wait for xiaomi to sell it on aliexpress. fug idk

Seconding this

please

Any opinions on the Huawei P Smart?

Same, I'm also due for an upgrade. I'm considering either the OP6 or Pixel 2 but I'll probably opt for the latter since recent price cuts have made them really attractive: Pixel 2 5" is only 50 bucks more expensive than the OP6.

Meh, Xiaomi has better specced phones at a similar price

Pixel experience

If you're really into mobile stuff you could always get a smart watch with NFC built in to pair with it, unfortunately Xiaomi only does one NFC payment watch and they use their own Alipay that only seems to work in China. All other NFC watches are about $200+ in Australia

So my Xiaomi Mi Max just broke and I'm looking at a replacement. I'm guessing the redmi note 5 is a good option but I know there's always like 4 different versions of those phones, which is the one to get?

Do backups on MIUI save the layout of the icons on the home screen?

Going to upgrade from a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 to a 3 and would like to back that shit up

Redmi Note 5 Global version is likely the one you want:
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb

how bad is Open KIRIN for Huawei phones? Can i easily install things like LineageOS?

Also if you want a similar size phone as the Mi Max then Mi Max 3 came out recently, it's basically a bigger size Redmi Note 5 specs-wise.

Perfect thank you, will have a look and compare those 2. Appreciate it!

Any budget or mid range phone with good low light camera? Preferably big screen too

So what phone has the biggest screen out of all of them? Don't give a shit about the specs just want the biggest screen size possible

xa2

would you recommend 8.1 or 9?

>would you recommend 8.1 or 9?
Well the older version is less likely to have any bugs, but now that 9 is out it's probably the one that's more actively developed. I'd see on XDA if people are reporting any major bugs

why doesn't he finance a good phone like the iphone 8 plus or X

Xiaomi Mi Max 3 and Honor Note 10

What's your budget? budget and mid-range phones generally suck at low light photos because they lack any image stabilization. You're probably better of getting a last gen flagship, or maybe a chink flagship.

pocophone f1 doesn't has sd card slot? According to gsmarena it should

About 400€/$450, should I just go for the OP6 my dude?

It does, that pic isn't right

I'm searching for something not too big with a decent camera. The XZ1 seems to be getting a lot of hate but it looks actually pretty nice, should I just get it?

Xa2 plus is coming out soon. Looking to be a decent phone.

Yeah, that or one of the Xiaomi flagships (Mi Mix 2S, Mi 8). Galaxy S8 can also be found at around the same price.

thanks

Oh. I only put my travel card in it (we have a travel card swipe system in my city for buses/trains). I wouldn't put a credit card in there. Or anything else I guess.

The camera is meh, not really flagship level.

which worthless, buggy piece of unspported chink android shit should i get so it can spy on me for the chinese government?

(You)

got an iPhone nevermind.

No, OP6 camera is garbage in low light as far as people complain.

What would you rec for a phone not too big in size and not too expansive?

Yeah I'd like to get one eventually, may make the sacrifice for now. Have you seen the bankwest ring that has NFC? The ad always comes up in my gym and I've been meaning to look into it but keep forgetting

Whats a good chinkphone with a 5 or

I'll probably be switching from my huawei p10 to the poco f1, will transferring my data to the new phone be doable? Will I have to use some external programs?

Be more specific, what's your budget?

If I live in the USA can I get an F1 that’ll work with any carriers? Im new to the while buying foreign phones thing.

Hard to say in usd, around 450 i guess

Oh? That's interesting, annoying that I'd have to transfer to their services to use the ring though. I'll bet it will be expensive though because they specifically tailor it to you or something? I'll stick to my no fee Bendigo student account tyvm

Oh hold on I just saw it's only $40, that's not too bad actually, but I still like Bendigo so I'll just pray they do something similar eventually.

Redmi 4X or 5A

Oh well that's interesting. Might open up an account for the upcoming work season, might do it tonight cos um drunk, who knows!!! Blog coming soon

Galaxy S8. Basically the same size as the XZ1 (148.9mm tall, XZ1 is 148mm) with a much better camera.

Most data is tied to your Google account, it's enough to log in on the new phone to get it transferred. Some you might need to copy over manually. For certain apps (games that are not using cloud saves for example) you might need an external app to copy the app data over.

>redmi note 5 was supposed to arrive today
>it didn't

Attached: just.png (392x324, 163K)

Thanks man! I'll check it out

>Headphone jack at the top

Attached: 1511244195892.png (945x610, 666K)

what about my gallery? I know about the google backup but for some reason it just doesn't work with my pics, should I just transfer them to my pc and then back to the poco?

>Pocophone F1 Edition
Reddit the phone

Non-ironically true
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-reddit-897572/
>Reddit comments influenced the design and specs of Xiaomi’s Pocophone F1
>According to Jai Mani, the first thing the Xiaomi team did when they were developing the Pocophone F1 was head to Reddit. There, the team read what Android enthusiasts want the most from their devices. In particular, the high-end processor and the large battery were put into the F1 directly because of Redditor comments.

What app are you using for gallery? Google photos or the stock one? If you're not using Google photos for cloud storage you can simply copy all the photos over like you said.

Got stock Oreo on my Moto G5 a while ago (flashable OTA that was shared around XDA) and while I'm not really having that many problems other than non-frequent FCs, shitty speaker sound quality compared to 7.0 and not the best battery life, maybe by now there's some custom ROMs worth a shit.

Any recommendations? I'm primarly concerned about the camera. Many Oreo ROMs seem to require installing something like footej or whatever the fuck.

Is it possible to block or hide a status bar notification without rooting?

Go back to 7.0 dude
>If I live in the USA can I get an F1 that’ll work with any carriers?
Not likely

thanks reddit

S view flip cover for note 4 was the best

is it possible to get a decent phone that doesn't spy on you?

Yes

amazon.com/The-NoPhone-Original-Cell-Phone/dp/B016856FDG

Just don't get a phone if you care about being spied on

>get a non chinese phone with an unlocked bootloader but has LOS support
>Install TWRP, LOS, Magisk and MicroG
>Install AFWall to only allow whitelisted connections
>Use a paid VPN

Done

thanks my friends. any opinions on the honor 7x? i had a 5x and it was great

if a phone works on each of a carrier's bands except one, will it still get signal at all? or is it simply gonna lose signal in certain areas