Fuck grub

Why grub is such a piece of shit? Every time I want to dual boot and need to config it manually is such a bad experience.

> Installed netbsd on linux side
on linux
> install grub2
> autoconf doesn't work
> edit config under /etc/, file is empty i don't know what to do
> search the web for configuration because i want to just boot OSes quickly
> every site has different config file and binaries
> binaries such "update-grub2-something"
> after update doesn't work with netbsd but it manages to boot linux thank God
> try to load netbsd kernel from grub console
> retarded partition naming (hd0, msdos$n)
> set root = (hd0, mdsos$n)
> after trying to load the kernel confusing error message
> "(hd0," disk not found
> spend half hour trying to understand if it is a bug or pebkac

Fuck you grub, try LILO
> /sbin/lilo
> edit /etc/lilo.conf with 3 lines (add 'compact' otherwise it will take ~2min just to read the hd
> /sbin/lilo
> just works

Why the fuck this discontinued dinosaur old piece of sw works better than grub if you just want to simply dualboot ?

Attached: grub2.png (945x400, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just werks for me.

At some point software starts to consist 90% of edge cases.

whats the choice for uefi tho
grubbles is all we hav

rEFInd, EFIStub, or maybe gummiboot if you're a cuck

Sometimes it does. It's just like xorg, when it works automagically it's good, but when it doesn't you're most likely fucked.

Just looks at the config file
> /etc/grub.d/40_custom
empty, i need to read the man
> /etc/lilo.conf
Full commented, i enabled framebuffer just because i read the file

grub may be more powerful, but for fake sake software must works ootb for its main purpose.

grub is a cancer. on top of the cancer that is linux. on top of the cancer that is the gpl.

Attached: microsoftsweatshops.jpg (1600x900, 69K)

systemd boot (formerly gummiboot) just werks for me. Alternatively just get rid of the bootloader and use EFIStub

>Still using a bootloader and not EFIStub

Learn English, retard.

Grub is shit, lilo is shit, everything using MBR boot in 2018 is shit.
Just do efistub m8.

You have to go back

Wasn't the entire point of UEFI not needing a bootloader? Use EFIStub.

refind cant boot linux directly
efistub & gummiboot are not in debian so they are iirelevant

Lol what
Are you sure you know what does "efistub" mean?

nop just read about it
is it worth the effort tho

>refind cant boot linux directly
Which doesn't matter if you have EFIStub, which effectively does the same thing afterwards
>efistub & gummiboot are not in debian so they are iirelevant
gummiboot is in the official repos and EFIStub is enabled per default since Wheezy

yeah i see
im waiting for official secure boot in debian and that will use grub2 by default afaik

The whole point of UEFI was forcing unremovable secureboot to OEM machines so that people can't replace Windows 10 with anything else.
And also of course including a network stack in ring -1.

There is nothing harder about efistub configuration than it is about config of any bootloader. Just one terminal command.

you have to copy the kernel & initrd to the efi partition my sid is not setup like that

> autoconf doesn't work
But it does.

> every site has different config file and binaries
No, most just use the stock binary names.

Install Gentoo.

> update-grub2-something
Yea, that's the exception of Ubuntu making things "easier". You can obviously ignore that if you don't use Ubuntu.

> retarded partition naming
That's like, your opinion. Drive X, partition Y on a msdos partition scheme is very obvious overall.

Well, if you want your own special butterfly partition naming, patch it in.

>whats the choice for uefi tho
>grubbles is all we hav

elilo. Slackware uses it for uefi systems.

>But it does
n't. Otherwise I would have not made this thread, dumbo

> Install Gentoo.
I'm doing good with netbsd for now.

> Yea, that's the exception of Ubuntu making things "easier". You can obviously ignore that if you don't use Ubuntu.

Good pont, but Linux is a fucking mess to work with, at least Ubuntu try to hide the complexity for end user and it's the de facto linux distribution, and that's how i'm using it.
If I wanted to study internals and experimenting with an OS I would have chosen something
better engineered and interesting, such as Plan 9 or BSDs.

> That's like, your opinion. Drive X, partition Y on a msdos partition scheme is very obvious overall.
No, you could fool me telling me that grub is not mainly used with linux but you know it is not true.
You think it maps 1:1 with linux partition, but no my sda4 is (hd0, msdos5).

The console has a set of unix-like command but with different semantics and the others, are specific for grub.
The retarded undocumented DSL for config, at leas LILO has a full documented stub, because I don't fucking want to read the man or a EBNF just to dualboot.

You could think that it's the only way and maybe complex task require complex solutions, but wait, LiLo does this and effortlessly.

What about error messages?
> set root = (hd0, msdos$n)
> knetbsd /netbsd
> Error: "(hd0," disk not found
What does it means? Is the problem the fact that root is not a tuple (why include the parens) or is there a bug ?

Things like this should works ootb
You're a cuck

>2018
>not using efi.
Linux doesn't even need a bootloader in UEFI mode

> n't. Otherwise I would have not made this thread, dumbo
Go check if it works on another distro.

I'm guessing Grub works fine but Ubuntu fucked up.

> try to hide the complexity for end user
Yes. Unrooted Android is the correct OS for the computer illiterate.

The in-between thing of Ubuntu was worth trying, but it seems to nearly systematically be more complex for people like you who do a bit more while also not being safe for average joe.

> You think it maps 1:1 with linux partition
No, you don't - also a reason for the different partition naming scheme, it's obviously not sda2 or /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:2:0:0 .

Not only for that reason but also due to the documentation it is quite obvious that it's not running Linux yet, and not the "Linux" boot loader.

> undocumented DSL
It's completely documented and even the grub shell offers some information too.

> but wait, LiLo does this and effortlessly
It's not at all easier. no. But I don't really care - use LiLo if you prefer.

> What does it means?
What it says. I mean, it tells you how it interpreted the command and says it couldn't find a "(hd0," disk. And you got an interactive command line to try variants.

At some level you should blame yourself. Yea computers are like this, always, unless you're doing the Android thing.

>Go check if it works on another distro.
Already tried, most of the time it works sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't you have to spend too much time trying to know that happens
> Not only for that reason but also due to the documentation it is quite obvious that it's not running Linux yet, and not the "Linux" boot loader.

It's used 90% of the time to work aside of linux. Since you were blabbing about butterfly special sintax you should understand.

> It's completely documented and even the grub shell offers some information too.
I have to go through a fully specification vs documented, commented in-place stub. Guess which is the more sensible approach?

> It's not at all easier. no. But I don't really care - use LiLo if you prefer.
It turns out that it is.
/sbin/lilo
read /etc/lilo.conf
Thats all you need to know to simply dualboot.
btw no CFG for lilo, just var = value

> What it says.
Nope, it is fucked up.
The console almost unusable.
Disk not found is almost as useful as Something happened.
ls gives you record like (hd$j, mdsos$n)
but when I set root = (hd0, msdos5) it doesn't give you error, it pops up when you try to load the kernel. and again "(hd0," disk not found makes you think that grub tries to access disk "(hd0," which could be a syntax error

I have a dumb question senpai lams

If I do sudo nano /etc/default/grub then insert my password and it opens an empty file that says it doesn't exist when I try to save it.

Does that mean the location of the grub config file is wrong?

> Already tried
And Grub worked, right? QED.

> It's used 90% of the time to work aside of linux.
It's very obviously software that runs before the Linux kernel takes over, so it's not the least surprising that it doesn't provide the interfaces to devices that the Linux kernel later has. Your fancy EFI BIOS also doesn't if you visit is configuration menu.

If you wanted the thing where it's using the Linux nomenclature ASAP, that's the EFISTUB or other more direct EFI boot method people mentioned.

>I have to go through a fully specification vs documented, commented in-place stub.
Grub's configuration generation files in /etc/grub.d are commented. And otherwise you just read the damn manual rather than "a fully specification".

> Nope, it is fucked up.
Alright - while I understand it, it's possible that error could be improved.

If you care and think you know how this error could be better, file a bug report with grub. It'll be far more useful than telling me here.

Agreed, but what should I use

But that requires UEFI boot, which is even more shit

use EFI stubs dumb nigger

How do you dual boot with an EFI stub dumb nigger

Isn't systemd boot gummiboot?

What do Macs use

github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr

Attached: DlXaDvMU8AA5TvD.jpg (635x1676, 211K)

Their own shit. I think you can install rEFInd on top of it though.

yeah

lilo runs well for me, no need for grub

Attached: 0007.gif (128x128, 24K)

Thanks dumb nigger

meanie! >_

Attached: 1d6a00c4f451e540065c3b95092537e3--hot-anime-boy-anime-guys.jpg (736x767, 87K)

can confirm it's pebkac

>And Grub worked, right? QED

Not all the times, did you read all the sentence?

> It comes before Linux therefore....
Just modernize your fucking terminology, there's no excuse to that, you know good software kinda evolves. There's no point of keeping this special snowflake kinda-like-linux naming for the sake of it

> Read the man
That's the fucking point, for simple shit like this I don't have to read the man and this meme had sense in Unix not in Linux where even the man pages are terrible and out of date

The only thing I configured was the order of the boot options. Works perfectly.

lilo was so fucking simple and easy to use RIP ;_;

>Not all the times, did you read all the sentence?
Since that worked [and only not in undiagnosed unspecified instances], I expect it to not be a Grub issue until proven otherwise.

Do it now and show what goes wrong if it goes wrong, then maybe we have something useful to discuss.

> Just modernize your fucking terminology
Obviously, Grub isn't the correct entity to push a device name standard to the market for universal adoption.

The EFI BIOS, Linux, NetBSD and Windows, OSX and even Android should unify their naming, then I'm sure Grub has a reason to go along with it.

> for simple shit like this I don't have to read the man
It's relatively simple shit, so you only read a well-written manual, not edit the source code.

Expecting inline documentation to cover your specific needs underestimates the capabilities of the tool. You also don't get the damn whole manual for sed or awk inline whenever someone invokes it in a script.

Applel was the first x86 adopter of EFI I think

>It's just like xorg, when it works automagically it's good, but when it doesn't you're most likely fucked.

Attached: 200.gif (263x200, 2.97M)

>Since that worked [and only not in undiagnosed unspecified instances], I expect it to not be a Grub issue until proven otherwise
What? Are you serious? You don't expect software to provide the same functionality in different environment even if not specified otherwise?

>i don't know what to do
Found your problem right here. What distro are you using? Debian-based distros have special scripts for GRUB that other distros don't have, so a guide for Debian/Ubuntu may not work on Arch or Fedora.

Try dualbooting with NTLDR then. That's even more shit

> Found your problem right here.
A problem that I didn't have on LiLo since the programmer(s) was/were smart enough to include a documented stub on lilo.conf (the same file i needed to conf)

You could read GRUB's manual or documentation. My config does have a bunch of comments showing what every part does, however that may be a Debian thing.
It doesn't matter though. If Lilo works for you, it works. No need to insult other programs when everyone can use whatever works for them.

grub-mkconfig

But with UEFI nobody should have to use grub, boot options are built into BIOS now and Linux has a built in efi stubloader that is waaaaay faster than grub.

can uefistub do 144fps tho

You fail to see the point, again.
I could spend a afternoon or two to study how grub works, reading the man, websites, etc.
But I didn't want to study grub, I wanted to dual boot NetBSD and hacking the OS.

LiLo proves (as it should be) that you can do something in a less painfully way, minimal tweaking and knoledge for the main purpose of a sw.

And it's a old, dying alternative to grub.

It depends on how your uefi intializes your graphics. The Linux stub loader uses the existing framebuffer from your BIOS.

Mine runs at 1440p 140Hz until Xorg is launched when it switches to 165Hz.

Grub supports encrypted boot. Efi stub kernel does not.

(cont) And with LiLo I didn't have to read anything.
open /etc/lilo.conf, read the documented config files
run /sbin/lilo

I'm sorry but grub has not the same usability, i'm not talking about code

>You don't expect software to provide the same functionality in different environment even if not specified otherwise?
Welcome to this odd reality where programs expose a lot more options than one colored button.

You're no longer on Android, and you'll either adapt to it at least minimally and read manuals / google to fix something when something goes wrong, or you're better off returning.

And yes, other people played with your setup already if you're on certain distributions. They might have made things better or worse for you, but they did play with it and you should be aware that not every software flaw they caused/fixed was there before or gone before.

Wow, you are beyond retardation . A bootloader doesn't work on a common Linux distribution on very common hardware. They better ship a dedicated hw with sw next time.
Aside from that, what's your obsession with Android? An Androids button must works on differet API with different hardware and it does that, so your analogy fail to prove your point