/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
→ → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

old thread:

Attached: 28 crop.jpg (217x218, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-X300-4TB-vs-Toshiba-P300-2TB/3592vs3590
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software
simg3.gelbooru.com//images/d0/72/d07289ba3b6ca978c851619201c1caf0.jpeg
blog-imgs-44-origin.fc2.com/m/e/d/medakaken/177.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS
howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/
ryzajr.net/textboard.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

guys
hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-X300-4TB-vs-Toshiba-P300-2TB/3592vs3590

I got a Toshiba X300 thinking it would be my current P300 (which I love) but with twice more space, however I just saw now that it's actually much faster.
So I'll probably make this drive my new D: main drive, but how do I do that? Clone the P300 to the X300 and then.. change the letter?
Would it work with a partition program like Macrium Reflect? I want the change to be invisible to windows (so I don't need to reinstall everything)

Attached: eb.jpg (600x800, 279K)

what are some good Windows utility applications? just got a memepad running Windows 7 professional, and after being on linux for awhile previously on desktop, I'm a bit out of the loop. so far all I really have downloaded is flux and the everything search tool.

Attached: 1465165558856.png (230x230, 56K)

trying to get Wifi Tether Router working on Essential Phone, how do I figure out which of these interfaces is actually my wifi interface, short of testing all of them?

Attached: Screenshot_20180823-174809.png (1312x2560, 111K)

Help! I've updated my arch system this afternoon and now when it reaches the login prompt I don't have any keyboard input, it works fine otherwise in the bios, boot loader, and on chroot if needed
Kernel is 4.18.1, and there isn't any errors apparently reported, anyone heard about this? Or hints to what to look for?

autohotkey
cryptomator
bvckup
flux
coretemp
afterburner
windirstat
7zip

that's my goto for every install

Use Auto

Just found out you can't install windows 7 on newer processors. I have an older 2600k, thinking of getting a 6800k since it's the last model that supports 7. Is this a stupid idea?

Attached: 92605286338282884250.png (330x327, 137K)

How do i make MPV pause the video when i click on the screen?

Attached: 1439490082871.gif (247x183, 2.21M)

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software
Anything in particular you are looking for?

you can install it just blocks windows updates

you can install the wufuc patch to unblock them

the real question is why you would install win7

>I have an older 2600k
You have a motherboard for it? I'd just stick with that. They are great processors. If I recall, they don't support virtualization.
If you don't have a motherboard to put it in, you can buy a complete refurbished computer from Newegg, just filter the processors for that generation.

right click

Need a free non disposable work email to sing up for a site. I mean it can be disposable just it's asking for non disposable. Best site ?

Just want to stick with it is all. I was in the never upgrade from xp group, I already knew vista was terrible and I was adamant to try 7 out. The whole cycle just seems to repeat itself. I've tried windows 10 and its just a cluster fuck. I'm not talking just about the telemetry either. T b h, I would go with 8.1 since it's not as bad as 10.

will check them out, thanks. also forgot to mention that I have Notepad++ which is pretty solid too
nothing in particular, just general helpful software

you're not wrong.

t. windows 10 fag having constant issues with windows baked-in features that worked flawless in previous editions

So I just bought a 2700x because I'm trying an sli setup while gpu's are still cheap, will it's relatively low clockspeeds compared to 8th gen intel offerings kill my SLI performance? Would crossfire be better with a weaker cpu my comparison?

Has ANYONE seen a good, cheap sli-ready matx mobo out there? Bonus for AM4, I guess.

>a weaker cpu my comparison?
*by comparison

>inb4 everyone starts shitting on dual gpu setups
I don't care, I like building computers and I've never done an dual-gpu build before.
I'm gonna sell it back to someone at my work at a profit within the year anyways, as it likely won't outperform my 1080ti in anything but workstation functions.

>nothing in particular, just general helpful software
like the other user said, 7zip and winderstat are good. You already have notepad++. I prefer portable versions of software if I can help it, that way I can put them on a stick and not worry about not having my custom settings, or the software installed, if I use a different computer.

Deluge is a decent torrent client.
WinSCP for FTP client.
CPU-Z and GPU-Z if you overclock or use custom firmwares on GPUs.
MPC-HC (Media Player Classic) for watching videos.
HandBrake for ripping.
MusicBee for audio.
Irfanview for photos.
There's a software thread in /t/ that has office.

Why the FUCK does right clicking in Opera randomly open a tab or go back to a previous page and how do I stop it

Attached: 00.jpg (341x450, 53K)

thank you sir

Anyone?
I even further looked into the journals and apparently nothing really happened, is even listed there, and shutdown peacefully when I press the power button.
But keyboard is simply dead, caps lock doesn't title either.

Attached: hanged.gif (170x196, 919K)

I used Vuze for a year. How hard did I fuck myself and what is the best Jow Forums approved torrent client for winshit

what are the dos and donts of using an sdd? just a 120gb one (crucial bx300)
using it as the OS drive
is it safe to torrent from it?

On Windows10, I recently noticed that Tab+Windows-Key (virtual desktops view) id not working properly anymore
It works every third time I press it. The first two times just deselect the current window (the top bar turns to the inactive white)
How can I troubleshoot this, what could it be?

go into troubleshooting mode. try a different port, different keyboard, different OS ,etc.

also
>arch

utorrent 2.2.1

the rule of thumb is to use the ssd for OS + apps, and disk drive for media storage and downloads. in reality it doesn't matter, the whole SSD degradation meme was blown out of proportion. if you have a lot of torrents and are getting disk overload warnings, transfer the most active ones to your SSD

simg3.gelbooru.com//images/d0/72/d07289ba3b6ca978c851619201c1caf0.jpeg
blog-imgs-44-origin.fc2.com/m/e/d/medakaken/177.jpg

What's the most convenient way to tell the differences between these two (or any other pair of) images? I remember doing it in photoshop once, but I don't remember how. I actually just opened Ps and me doing it in there was still there, but I couldn't figure out how to replace the images in each layer, so I'd have to watch/read another tutorial on it again.

The source link for the gelbooru version literally is the other link above, but the md5 is different and I don't know why. I'd usually just go for the bigger filesized option, but the source version is about half the filesize of the other. So it sucks. Can Hydrus (image-tagging program) do this for me btw, since I have it installed and its internal reverse search is what showed me I saved this image twice.

It's "safe" sure, you just should keep track of how much it's been written to and don't keep any critical information on it once it's been used for a while. The smart thing is to have a seperate mechanical drive for media and other non-speed critical data but don't worry too much.

>you just should keep track of how much it's been written to and don't keep any critical information on it once it's been used for a while
Not him but can you ground these warnings in anything... "keep track of how much it's been written to", "don't keep any critical information on it once it's been used for a while"... these are empty phrases that only make me think everything I'm doing is a fuckup

why do I have a "Systend core dump" user in lightdm's user list

Don't worry about it. The 'SSDs aren't reliable' meme is 10 years old. Anything from the last couple years is good for a decade or so in the future. That's assuming you're buying decent shit, and not recycled old tech. Anything from Samsung, Micron, Intel is good. Do research on other stuff.

I have seen the light of using an SSD after all these years. How difficult would it be to install an SSD just for Windows into my desktop which has a single 2TB hard drive? Should/is it possible to keep windows or do I install a fresh copy

How do I use matplotlib (Python 3) to show a graph of a Newton-Raphson's method?

I have the method implemented and all, but the fucking graph...

Will it just roll over and die in a decade without warning? You make this sound super fucked up and not relieve me of concerns at all desu

Sounds like your right mouse button is randomly double clicking.

All hardware dies eventually. Buy things that are of good quality and back up your data if it's important to you.

that's good the, thanks for the answers

I got a Crucial, it was cheap as fuck and brand new
didn't hear anything bad about them everywhere I asked (i.e. Jow Forums and some irc chans)

How do I link a domain name to my server? I'm running my server locally until I finish developing. Will I be able to use a DNS even if I have a dynamic IP address?

>I got a Crucial
Crucial are decent, think some of there stuff was made by micron. I have a couple of their 256GB drives from around 2012 that work just fine. One is 2.5" the other is mSATA.

i accidentally the built in windows 10 image viewer, how do i get it back?

dude, are you not curios at all about what was on it before? I'd run photorec from a usb

and what's the point of having setting in two or three places?

Just add your domain to the hosts file. Thats enough for local development. You could use en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS but thats useless if you are only developing.

I've just tried installing arch and then debian on an SSD.
I had arch on it originally maybe a year ago and lent the PC to a friend.
Once I had arch up and running I went straight to installing X and i3, low and behold I get some graphics problem where the my monitor says "HDMI out of range, 75hz" or something like that. dmesg tells me that theres an EDID error from amdgpu. So I imagine it can't detect the EDID and automatically display correctly. Thought it might be a driver issue but even forcing vesa makes X just hang and the log shows nothing of great concern. The monitor works fine under Windows too. Some googling shows I'd likely have to get the EDID binary from windows somehow and force it in arch or something, sounds tiresome so I decided fuck it I'll use debian instead.

Debian doesn't even boot, gives me some I/O address conflict error. Some quick searching shows some relevance to my gpu there too. What gives? Everything is running smooth under Windows

>Just add your domain to the hosts file
What do you mean by this? What hosts file?

howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

try this?

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Thanks, user

What does Jow Forums recommend for an anti-virus, aside from not getting viruses?

clamwin

You can alternate between which drives you boot from in the boot menu. Either that or get a SATA-USB adaptor and use the 2TB as an external hard drive. Plastic protective cases for hard drives are a thing.

This worked, Thanks user

not Jow Forums related so sorry about that:
what's the name of the fallacy where someone states that if something usually happens then it must be the case in that particular example or when majority does something then the discussed person is also doing it

What in the unholy name of god is this connection? I have been searching and searching and have bought several different cables that I thought would connect to it. It's the RGB cable off of a corsair fan but it doesn't plug into my RGB hub and I can't find any other kind of cable that can maybe convert it to a standard 5050 RGB cable. Is this a proprietary cable? Do I need to buy one of corsairs overpriced hubs just to plug in my fucking fans?

Attached: 20180824_171511.jpg (2576x1932, 1020K)

pretty sure that's the same connector that's on my motherboard. WHy don't you google it?

>start PC
>mobo starts to post
>entire thing shuts down
>clicks back on immediately
>mobo starts to post
>entire thing shuts down
>does this a couple more times before starting fine
>once it's on, it runs completely fine

What the fuck is this? Problem with the motherboard? PSU? Cables? I've never had a problem with this build for the three years I've had it, and this just came up out of nowhere.

Attached: 1526033328105.jpg (540x402, 15K)

Thanks for your fingerprints, nerd. I'm hacking into your cerebral cortex as we speak. Your DNA is mine

what do i put in my crontab?

Attached: 1517096270795.jpg (640x775, 106K)

Can someone try to break the simple textboard I made in PHP?

Hope I won't regret this:
ryzajr.net/textboard.php

I did. I can't find it. I wouldn't be here if I did.

You could schedule automatic backups.

How would it work booting from the SSD and then interacting with the HDD which has another copy of Windows on it?

I want to wire my house with ethernet and coax with wall jacks where do I buy the stuff I need?

What is a good PDF reader that's free? I would appreciate one with features like converting to other formats and saving pages as images as well.

Attached: 1515348869171.jpg (1325x994, 84K)

>Do I need to buy one of corsairs overpriced hubs just to plug in my fucking fans?
Unless you bought a multiple fan pack that included the lighting node/commander yeah you do.

how is a compiler made? Or to be more exact, how were the first compilers made? were they made in Assembly? did they involve punchcards?

Attached: remember.png (640x640, 38K)

Login to your router, navigate to wifi and check what type it is.
Never defragment it, use it as an OS drive or things you want fast RW access to like streaming media or video games.

Lookup "Compilers: Principles, Techniques, & Tools" also known as the dragon book.

Why the fuck Ryzen laptops are so rare?

*record scratch*
*freeze frame*
Yep.
That's me.
and I guess I'm trying to get my data out of the HDD through a live USB boot. That said, it was encrypted with ecryptfs, but when I try to run ecryptfs-mount-private from the HDD directory, it gives me
ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly
How to proceed?

cute drawing of me

owo show feet

My phone sometimes has this odd glitch interference on my bluetooth devices. It's not my buds or speakers cause I've used them with other things, I figured it was my phone. Anyone know why that is? it will happen for a a whole second and go away. Sometimes 3 or 4 times in 30 seconds. But it's pretty rare. maybe once a month? I dunno. Any ideas guys?

Does someone know what the website for monitors is that makes a graph is called? It like truncates it based on price and monitor size or something and reminds me of logical increments

Noone?
It's getting really annoying.
If it adds anything to it: I also have three different keyboard layouts installed through which I cycle by Alt+Shift. But it has never caused problems before a few days ago

Why is google capcha gotten so bad that you have to pretend to be a robot instead of a human to prevent getting flagged as a robot?
I used to go full autism and select a square even if only a tiny bit of it contained the vehicle or sign or whatever; it would usually work but sometimes it would be like lolno. And eventually that would cascade into getting a defacto ban from everything that uses google authentication until they let you out of timeout.
So I said fuck it and started being super lazy. If the vehicle is only taking up 8% of the square I don't select it anymore, because a computer would probably have trouble selecting that square. And now I have almost no more problems with google captcha. It even lets me post sometimes without making me do it.

What the fuck.

External drive dropped about 2 feet, everything spins, nothing's stuck on the platter (carefully took it apart with facemask on etc), but it's not recognized, in disk management, device manager, or anywhere else.
I get the little beep when Windows detects a usb device, but nothing else, is there a chance at this point it could be the sata bridge/cable?
I could order a new bridge + usb cable to test it but I want to know if it's a waste of any money first.

i've had that same problem, it's Jow Forums trying to get people to buy passes, I fucking did because it pissed me off so much, google captcha is horseshit, fuck your storefronts and signs.

Is there a site /proxy that can convert old static websites to a responsive design? Just want to read some stuff oh my phone, i imagine it takes as much as adding the correct viewport header

Disable mouse gestures.

How does the computer know when I pick up the mouse and set it back down?

Attached: 1408018032313.png (702x397, 145K)

how do you mean? it's a refurbished unit with a fresh install. Lenovo spyware?

why does my browser sketch out when I browse? Like, if I scroll down slightly on the mouse, it will scroll down miles back then back up on the browser? wtf

The more you post within a short time frame, the harder the captrchas get. IF you're posting really frequently, you'll start getting captchas that need you to get the right answer 3 or 4 times.

Does anyone else on Linux have issues with Danbooru's scripts? There's supposed to be colored tags and controls with the arrow keys, that sort of thing. Can't get it to work on any of my browsers.

It's difficult to pickup and place the mouse without it moving the cursor at least a little bit. A computer can measure this, average it and recognize when your movements are shorter than usual or stopped abruptly. If that's what you're asking.

How far off are we from a machine-learning based program that can emulate a 2D waifu?

Attached: 1534701062165.jpg (900x738, 170K)

I'm selling a computer and want to reformat the HDD before reinstalling the OS. What is the best means of doing this?

I think so. That's way more complicated than I thought it would be. When I put my mouse down with my new osu! skin it goes *boop* and it spooked me. Thank you, user.

Attached: CQbED5pUkAAzX9K.png (800x698, 456K)

older versions of dban work quite nicely

Depends on whether the inevitable fascist takeover is led by a deranged nerd or a white supremacist. Either 20 years or over 100.

Adjust mouse settings.

Attached: 1518656471051.webm (226x238, 123K)

Vuze is great. I still use it on my Debian.

It never used to do this, only recently.

child molestor weeaboo.

How do you theme the white omnibox using chromes material 2 ui?

anime website

Norton + Malwarebytes

Containment boards weeb trash.