What happens when we hit the 1nm barrier?

What happens when we hit the 1nm barrier?

Attached: 1441801390272.jpg (568x445, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kurzweilai.net/overcoming-transistor-miniaturization-limits-due-to-quantum-tunneling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We can't.

Half a nanometer.

Attached: 1526749192458.jpg (650x793, 37K)

0.9nm

add, more corelets in z axis, it's possible

We can't, cause quantum physics, unless you redesign current transistors

kurzweilai.net/overcoming-transistor-miniaturization-limits-due-to-quantum-tunneling

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

Space time distortion.

Yep. 2nm even 3nm probably isn’t possible because of this. Not to mention how poor yields will likely be.

999 picometers

They'll get better with time, when there is money there is a will

Germanium boom

quantum tunneling

Black hole

A revolution in software engineering, along with the optimization of current computing systems to integrate different computing methods together in the same environment.

>game on cpu with 1nm transistors
>sneeze
>microvibrations flip the spin of a few atoms
>the whole cpu enters quantum coherence
>transistors tunnel across the cpu die every clock cycle
>it becomes a superposition of all possible cpus
>screen flashes from random noise to aphex twin flac torrent spectograms to game of life gliders of alien design to patters created by Von Neumann's rem sleep
>mfw
>suddenly stops at a blue screen of death and I hear laughter in the voice of microsoft's clippy assistant
>cpu turns into a micro black hole which evaporates in 0.6 nanoseconds but not without letting out a bloop of hawking radiation which destroyed my hdd
I GOT SO FUCKING MAD

Attached: 20011.0.jpg (1200x800, 103K)

Also, as an addendum, we will stop at 5 nm, not 1. Current transistors just wouldn't be able to work.

Bigger CPUs

>we will stop at 5 nm
>we
Fuck off, subhuman winfag. You aren't involved at all.

Apparently, quantum tunnelling is eventually going to turn all the matter in the universe that's bigger than a grain of sand into black holes.

Yeah companies will race to adopt the atom sized transistor.

intel cucks will be on suicide watch

here's a (((You))) for putting in so much effort into that post.

you're gonna see some serious shit

Attached: 1534570346202.jpg (1200x675, 63K)

Attached: 1534876933610.jpg (615x640, 52K)

Attached: image.jpg (700x700, 141K)

Clippy had a voice?

I thought copper only gets to like 4nm or some shit?
and graphene can go to 0.7? idk

I would guess when we reach the limits of the copper, it's going to be refined to perfection while (probably AMD) other companies start to release graphene chips

quite the imagination

Attached: 1527444986592.jpg (600x600, 321K)

You don't understand quantum tunnelling, do you?

>Not to mention how poor yields will likely be.

They will use directed self assembly.
Which could have much better yields than lithography.

only in so many years that "billion" and "trillion" fail to describe it, and it'll really only happen assuming there is no proton decay

>2047
>using a hard drive instead of a quantum state drive.

yea that won't get exploited

what ever happened to those crystal storage devices?
I thought they said they can store like 100TB in a crystal
just googled it, I think this is about right...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
>given to elon musk wtf

we stop paying for shitposting

>be that non profit
>generate data crystals to spread all around the solar system
>lands on ancient planet with intelligent life
>they hit the space rock with hammer and make bling out of it

oh look, idiots talking about things they don't know about.

oh it's one of those threads where guys who build computers pretend to be physicists.

I cant see much after 7nm happening any time soon.

I think its more likely that manufacturers will look at efficiency and such for mainstream.

Probably increase die sizes for the people that actually need more performance.

we can't. 7nm to 5nm will turn into something like 14nm++++++++ because Intel has proven it.

>aphex twin

Attached: 1518703827831.jpg (250x249, 6K)

Sounds like earth

we get the Nobel price for physics.

in the near term the limiting factor is the amount of gate contacting the channel. finfets have gate around the channel on 3 sides. a clear way forward is gate all around, then maybe vertical gate all around, where the gate completely surrounds the channel. In the long term, different chemistry and substrates hold promise, like self-assembly and monolayers

we'll probably confirm that the universe is a large simulation, hitting that point would literally break the concept of reality.

Oh, I forgot to say Skrillex

>Not using pifs

>when we hit the 1nm barrier
IF we hit the 1nm barrier

hi friend

haha you guys caught the latest pbs vid too? I love science :D

>1nm barrier
I'm so old, I remember (in passing) the "1um barrier", which obviously came and went. Then in the early 2000s came a "50nm barrier", with IBM manufacturing experimental POWER CPUs with 70nm features - obviously this was surmountable, too.

Yeah.

Attached: giphy.gif (235x240, 1.85M)

Nothing, we keep going.

> In 2016, researchers at Berkeley Lab created a transistor with a working 1-nanometer gate.[45][46] The field-effect transistor utilized MoS2 as the channel material, while a carbon nanotube was used to invert the channel. The effective channel length is approximately 1 nm. However, the drain to source pitch was much bigger, with micrometre size.

> In 2018, researchers at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology created a transistor with a working single atom gate.

How would you even read it?

no fucking idea, but that's for the chinks to figure out. not me

So it shows different data in different angles, do I need a gigantic rig with "readers" at different angles?

We move on to temporal transistors where current travels through time to finish computations before you even initiate them.

>1nm wide
>20nm tall
kek

AMD will prolly get to 1nm in about a decade. Once they try going further, the experiments will create a black hole that will suck the remains of Intel into oblivion.
Just kidding, Intel will be bankrupt long before then.

get a sweet crystal drive. like a hard drive but for crystals

I think 3dxpoint is going to be big