/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: pcbg.jpg (800x500, 405K)

Other urls found in this thread:

productchart.com/monitors/21281
amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP001TBSS3A55S25/dp/B07B4G19X3/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148150-REG/asus_pb328q_32_wqhd_super.html
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1425897-REG/viewsonic_vx3211_4k_mhd_32_4k_uhd_monitor.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/HqhjRJ
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813145082
ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-ROG-PG279Q-Black-27-WQHD-IPS-2560X1440-NVIDIA-G-Sync-Gaming-Monitor-165-/201609633838?hash=item2ef0dee02e
pcpartpicker.com/list/v9p3NQ
amazon.com/dp/B07FJ8VLNL/?tag=pcpapi-20
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64/3918vs3933
youtube.com/watch?v=tu7pxJXBBn8
secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=i70GRZlYdl5sqptSqIsHRg==&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-i70GRZlYdl5sqptSqIsHRg==-_-08/24/2018
pcpartpicker.com/user/Nonymous1/saved/mhntgs
pcpartpicker.com/list/HfVWJ8
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dCX26s
pcpartpicker.com/list/cd7CZR
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i was asking about 4k 27-32" monitors on the other thread
>60hz is trash
well like i said it's mainly for watching movies/shows, some at 60fps, i dont do gaming

that being said i thought about my current graphic card (740 gt) which struggles sometimes with 4k content, so what are your thoughts on the Dell S2716DGR
27" 1440p 144hz gsync tn
cheapest gsync out there from what i'm reading, but i'm not doing gaming so overkill?

any better suggestions for 1440p at or under 350?

Why isn't there an anime girl in the OP

pc parts shill op

Because this is not an anime board you fucking weeb?

Is an Asus Strix a good monitor for just general gaming like Dota, CSGO, Ark, fortnite? Its for my bro and I know he can play a range of games ranging from dota to ark/rpg games.

>ASUS ROG Strix 27” Curved Gaming Monitor Full HD 1080p 144Hz DP HDMI DVI Fully Adjustable Function (XG27VQ)
productchart.com/monitors/21281

anyone got any other recommendations for monitors

>curved

Attached: 1533474768478.jpg (799x590, 104K)

Speaking of which, is it just me or is pcshartpicker completely fucking useless? So few models of, well, anything, are actually listed on that site with prices.

I don't really want a curved one but the only other monitors in the price range are Acers, Samsung or BenQ.

>$400 AU
>for 1080p@144hz monitor
wew lad
What's wrong with those?

Is there a way to compare parts on pcpart picker?

I found some 450M mobos and they all seem to do the same thing I don't know which one is good for oc

best mousepad for general all purpose gaymen?

Attached: 1529521483388.png (263x339, 73K)

>I don't know which one is good for oc
Pretty much none of them probably.

>>for 1080p@144hz monitor
27"*
>What's wrong with those?
Samsungs are usually unreliable.

What would you choose then? It's a monitor for medium-heavy gaming and want to spend $300-350 (that's the real budget).

steelseries, bigger the better.

A piece of a4 paper

It does not list a lot of models, especially in some other countries.
It's more to put parts together in a list. You can add custom parts you find on froogle or whatever.

Newegg has a good comparison tool.

tecknet is legitimately good and cheap. Unironically better than Steelseries mouse pad. At least it was amazing for my past Steelseries mouse and my Rival 600. I have a feeling my Naos 7000 would be better on another pad.

>What would you choose then?
The $300 Mbest 1440p 144hz IPS. It's the best one until something equivalent with HDR10 comes along.

What about aoc?

I would refuse to buy anything steelseries after the bullypatrol faggotry.

what are the best and quietest case fans

Noctua 140mm.

Has anyone managed to hit 3.75-4.0 GHz on their R5 2600 with the stock cooler? What were your CPU and SoC voltages?

If I wanted to hit that lovely 4.2 GHz mark and have temps at

>$300 Mbest 1440p 144hz IPS.
What? afaik you can't get a 1440p for $300 AUD.
>aoc
I dunno much about aoc

>spent $800 on a new gaming pc
>dont feel like gaming anymore

anyone else know this feel

>spend $3000 on new pc
>have played once in the past two months

>for $300 AUD.
He's talking about USD. Honestly you guys in Canada and Australia really should say so. Most people think USD when you saw $.

If you check their response, they got lied to by the ones organizing it and someone in steelseries got fired for it. It was probably an honest mistake.

>Mbest 1440p
this one? Mbest MB279QR144

>300 Mbest 1440p 144hz
>3ms delay
>heavy gaming
Stop giving out advice if you have no idea what you're talking about. You want 1ms monitor for heavy gaming non negotiable. Any other answer and you're a huge shitter who never played games competitively on high level.

I did state AUD but nevermind.

What do anons think of this monitor
AOC 24" G2460PF 1ms 1920x1080 144Hz Free-Sync SPK HAS D-SUB DL-DVI HDMI DP Gaming Monitor

Are their black ones as good as the butt-ugly brown ones?

Not sure. Fractal Design has some decent 140 mm that come in more palatable colors but the Noctua's AF14 or whatever they are called are seriously the best. Just own the color.

bogan ausphag.

be quiet silent rock or cryorig h7.
You should hit 3.9 or 4.0 easy on pretty low voltage. It's just at 4.1-4.2 that voltage requirement starts going way up.

LMAO 3ms is by far the fastest IPS. And lots of "1ms" TN are falsely advertising.
It's also low input latency than most TN. You don't know what the fuck response time even means.
>Mbest MB279QR144
Yes. It's by far the best gaming monitor that's not a shitty TN panel. About 35-40% faster response time than any other I'm aware of, as most of those 4ms response monitors are actually 4.5ms, and only 1.5ms input latency when most monitors are more around 3-6ms.

you gotta say dollarydoos m8
It's really hard to tell for other currencies cause you can have cheap models here being expensive there and shit.
I guess just pick one out that has at least like 95% sRGB coverage, good black levels (in a TN xd), and which has good user reviews.
AOC tends to be good though.
Tom's Hardware gave that monitor a really bad review. Just good the model numbers. I looked at another review and it looked pretty shit. I can't look at reviews for every monitor for you, though.

The black ones are like 0.01% worse.

idk. A good deal of new models came in the past year. I haven't seen a good roundup test of them yet.

namefag alert.
>you gotta say dollarydoos m8
lol yea, or kangaroobucks.

>LMAO 3ms is by far the fastest IPS
Damn you're one dumb fuck nobody cares about ips monitors when you're playing on lowest settings anyway to get the most fps possible. Stop spouting bullshit there is a reason why all pros play on TN monitors. Give me one (1) example of an esport event using shitty isp.

Why is the shill allowed here?

Someone was hoping for $150 1TB SSD by this black friday?

It's already here.

amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP001TBSS3A55S25/dp/B07B4G19X3/

Attached: 150ssd.png (1310x652, 383K)

sheesh.

is that a good brand?

4k 60Hz IPS or 1440p 75Hz VA? They're close in price, but I don't know if the Viewsonic has as good image quality.

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148150-REG/asus_pb328q_32_wqhd_super.html
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1425897-REG/viewsonic_vx3211_4k_mhd_32_4k_uhd_monitor.html

>you won't spoon feed me
Oh well. Thanks anyways user. I think I kinda have a good idea on what to get

Attached: 1504892740890.png (1500x1000, 1.25M)

People who care about non-shitty image quality care, you moron.

idk

Wait what. That's fucking 3D SLC? I never noticed.
I've seen those occasionally but I assumed they were garbage.
Too bad they don't have a 2Tb model.

To be fair, I said at least $145 on black friday.
But definitely get that if you're looking for a 1Tb. It looks good.

Building a budget gaming pc for my pleb asian friend as a gift; he really needs it. He paired a 5$ cpu with a 1050ti, and desparately needs an upgrade. My budget for him is 650$, and its made easier by the fact he already has a 1050 ti.

I have the mobo picked out already at 120$, so my budget is 530$ without a mobo.

List:
pcpartpicker.com/list/HqhjRJ

Mobo:
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813145082

Price point is extremely firm, open to any and all suggestions.

Any opinions on this refurb 734$ all in (CAD) monitor? ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-ROG-PG279Q-Black-27-WQHD-IPS-2560X1440-NVIDIA-G-Sync-Gaming-Monitor-165-/201609633838?hash=item2ef0dee02e

I figured if it comes with dead pixels or too much backlight bleed I can just send it back over and over till I get a good one right?

I don't care about gsync or freesync and I'm willing to wait a few more months if it means a good deal on 1440p 144hz 27"

Get the Ryzen 5 2600 for $10 more. Other than that it's fine.

pcpartpicker.com/list/v9p3NQ

This is from some inspiration from LTT's 2 gamers 1 CPU build where he powered two VMs and a controller off of one CPU. A 10 core CPU would give 4 cores per monitor and 2 to run a VM controller, and each GPU would be able to display video.

Refurbished monitors are essentially just returned monitors that they are trying to pass off to someone less picky than the original owner. You can't refurbish a fucked up panel.

>nvidia gpu's supposedly preferable to amd
>freesync supposedly preferable to gsync
how do i make a goddamn decision here?

why is the fractal r6 price dropping so much, is the r7 coming out soon?

R8 my (to-buy-later) build:

>Celeron G3930
>H110M Pro-VD Plus
>VS450
>Core 1000

Noctua 200mm or silent wings 3 140mm

I just found a Viewsonic 25" XG2530 Gaming Monitor 240hz for ~$240 USD is it just me or is this a really fucking good deal?

Ignore the shills inevitable reply and research many sources

amazon.com/dp/B07FJ8VLNL/?tag=pcpapi-20

>B450M bazooka
Is this mobo good for overclocking

Freesync is cheaper than gsync, but more expensive than a normal monitor, so depend on your budget really.

Spend your money on a nice GPU first, then save up for a nice monitor, or vice versa doesn't matter.

I wouldn't buy it cause the fuck you need 240hz for in 90% of games, and it's a touch small, but if you play a lot of FPS then maybe it's better for you.

If you have a freesync monitor get an AMD card, if you have a g-sync monitor, get an nvidia card.

It's not that complicated. Unless you're gaming at 4k, almost any of the upper tier cards are more than enough power for a very long time.

I went with a vega 64, upgrading from a 1070 FTW DT because I learned about freesync and really enjoyed my ryzen cpu. I wanted to give AMD cards a try since I haven't had one since my x1600 pro. Now I'm just cpu limited in basically every game, even though my 2700x is performing waaaay above expectations.

Attached: 174f44076c43541ffdcbcaf253b7431b.png (453x829, 47K)

I dunno. It's fro my bro. He's still using a 1600x900 19" monitor lmao, literally any monitor would be better than what he has now.

I've just never touched a 240hz monitor before so I have no idea what I am looking at

because nvidia's cards are basically the only option for the top tier of consumer grade cards, their G-sync is proprietary so it can only be used with Nvidia cards, and Nvidia cards can only use G-sync. AMD cards right now just aren't competitive with Nvidia so if you want to make the most of a gaming build you're pretty much stuck with Nvidia+G-sync. The onus is on AMD to become competitive in the GPU market again, which hopefully happens soon.

>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
literally what I asked in a previous general, I was gonna buy a used 1080ti for cheap over a 2080 but everyone was saying wtf how do you know it'll be better than the 2080, KYS

Just buy the XB271HU and a good card, it's the best goysync monitor out there. Or buy the PG279Q if the Acer's stand is too ugly for you

"Not competitive with nvidia."

Excuse me? This site is saying I'm within 3% of a titan x pascal.

Attached: c980b41a87087acfa8d5a5318dfcb5d8.png (1076x268, 38K)

1080ti came in the mail today, I fucking love this thing. Literally all my problems with emulation are gone now and I am prepared for the RE2make coming out Jan.

Thanks Nvidia for launching 2000 series so that assholes could sell their 1080ti's for 500 USD.

Attached: 1530245157694.jpg (200x355, 19K)

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64/3918vs3933
>?

If my aim is 144Hz, do I need to be considering either of the sync's

of fucking course a 1080ti at $650 is going to be a better price/performance over RTX 2080 cards, that's fucking obvious champ.

The only question is do you want to drop the cash for a 2080, because it will be better, the question is how much better will it really be? probably not a ton better.

>gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64/3918vs3933

Look at the percentage for their average vega score, and then look at what my card scored. There must be a boatload of stinkers for the vega out there, but this sapphire blows them out of the water.

someone please answer my question.

If you want constant 144hz, get an i7-8700k and any of the top tier video cards.

yes.

The difficult thing to classify here is that nvidia shifted the product stack naming.

The 2070 is actually the evolution of the 1080. The 2080 is the follow up to the 1080ti, and the 2080ti is actually the RTX titan.

It's marketing bullshit to make their performance comparisons look better, while also pressuring people to buy a titan class card just so they have the bragging rights of a ti series card.

youtube.com/watch?v=tu7pxJXBBn8
tech jesus is my hero

if i game at 1080p, can the 1060 do 144hz without having to turn down too many settings on current games?

>mfw I bought a 1080 i7 7700k and don't game anymore
>was probably never going to heavily game anyway

Attached: 1531787833585.gif (500x281, 159K)

>can the 1060 do 144hz without having to turn down too many settings on current games?
yes

Maybe in CSGO, but not in AAA titles.

If you want 144hz performance with eye candy, you need to pony up serious money.

>If you want 144hz performance with eye candy, you need to pony up serious money.
This. 8086k and 1080 Ti kind of money and even then a lot of games will be CPU bound.

secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=i70GRZlYdl5sqptSqIsHRg==&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-i70GRZlYdl5sqptSqIsHRg==-_-08/24/2018

I've been considering liquid cooling and getting one of the new X Threadrippers instead. Thoughts?

>$1200+ video card
>Dollar store fans

Those are just case fans, I'm undecided on CPU cooling. Want to try a liquid cooling device but am afraid I'll fuck up.

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor
i7 7700k
16gb 2100mhz ram

What are the best settings for games? I can get an easy 144 frames for CSGO, and about 90-100 frames on PUBG I think. Does this sound about right for those kinds of specs?

Forgot to add onto that...

Your cooling will DIRECTLY decide your CPU and GPU performance. If you care about performance, get a noctua D15 AM4 edition, fill every fan slot on your case with noctua iPPC 3000rpm PWM fans, and run that shit loud.

Your benchmarks will be WORLDS higher. This CPU clocks based on temps and thermal headroom. To give you an idea of what you're aiming for, my idle temp is 25c on air cooling, 58c under maximum load. If you do much worse than that your performance will sharply drop off down to OEM like system performance.

Attached: photo_2018-08-12_18-04-43.jpg (1280x960, 128K)

>>Dollar store fans
More money to spend on the build user

pcpartpicker.com/user/Nonymous1/saved/mhntgs

alright bros I have no idea if this is a good build but let me know what you think.

I plan on overclocking in the future so I'm looking for a mobo that can do it so I settled witht he bazooka, apparently I cannot find any info on the bazooka+ or the mortar so this will have to do.

Anyone have any opinions? It's a Micro ATX build, Wanted to go mini ITX but that seems tough.

>90-100 frames on PUBG
Are you playing on high settings? You should be getting more in pubg. My friend gets around that on 1070

yeah on high. Is your friend playing on 1440p 144hz?

>Option A: RTX 2080, stick to my Dell 1080p/60fps
>Option B: used GTX 1080Ti/new XB271HU
>Option C: Buy a used 1070Ti and wait for 7nm, then upgrade to 1440p 144hz
wat do lads I'm fucking going around in circles figuring this out

Why spend money on highend components when you could buy cheaper components that don't require as much cooling to achieve desired performance.

People have no comprehension of how important fans and airflow are with modern hardware.

The more air you move through your system, the faster it will go with these components. Buying a bunch of silent fans for a gaming rig is like buying a race car, installing 500lbs of sound deadening and a hyper restrictive exhaust system.

If you want a quiet hardcore system, you need to go to open loop custom water cooling.

I was only pretending to be retarded user.

also

>1440p
Ah sorry I'm retarded he plays on 1080p so yeah your fps sounds about right I guess.

B or C never ever go A what the fuck

Buy the cheapest 1080ti you can find, sit on it until you decide you need more power, then ebay it and buy the next gen cards.

What would you suggest for someone who wants to try liquid/radiator cooling? It actually doesn't look that difficult, just install the fan array somewhere on the case and put the hose on the CPU.

Does such a system still need case fans?

pcpartpicker.com/list/HfVWJ8
what should i change? i dont want AMD

Yes you still need case fans, lots of them. The difference is that you will have a radiator restricting airflow so you will need more powerful pressure optimized fans.

Get the biggest AIO you can fit in your case that has the lowest failure rate you can find. If you're not broke, fill the case and radiator with noctua ippc 3000rpm fans. If you're broke, get corsair SP120 fans. You want more intake flow than exhaust flow, if using an equal number of fans, you can play with fan RPM to achieve the desired balance.

meh, my first attempt while having next to no idea what I'm doing. Thoughts?
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dCX26s

>noctua ippc 3000rpm fans
I'm not sure I understand why the fans I currently have in my list are not sufficient. I'm not going to buy 1 of each, I do plan to fill the case.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cd7CZR

I feel happy about this build so far. Looking to pull the trigger on this next week after that sweet paycheck comes in. Any last tips?

Attached: My_Build.png (1269x941, 94K)

Scrap the 2600 for a 2600x.
Ditch the cooler.
Get gskill flare-x memory rated at 3200mhz CL14.
Get an X370 motherboard, maybe you can save money there.

Do not buy a GPU new, buy one used. you can find a 1070 for less money than that used. Like... Half. Or better yet find an AMD RX580 used, and really save some money. Find a monitor you can afford that runs at least 75hz.

Sufficient and optimal are 2 very different things. Compare flow rates and you'll see what I mean.

Hell I have a bgears 120mm 4500rpm fan in my system that moves 218cfm for extended benchmarking sessions and overclocking. I don't recommend buying that unless you own ear plugs though.