Alright Jow Forums I have a question or two

Alright Jow Forums I have a question or two

I've been thinking of switching my rig's native OS to Linux and running Windows 10 (my current OS) in a VM, just to get my feet wet. I want to learn and move to Linux at my own pace while primarily still doing my day-to-day fucking about (including Steam and a few Windows Store apps) in Windows, at least to start with. Too comfortable with Microsoft's ecosystem to ditch my botnet just yet

My question is what's a good, lightweight Linux distro to just run VirtualBox in for now without much overhead, but with the potential to expand its functionality for general use in the future? Ideally I'd like spend as little time as possible dicking around with a command line while I'm starting out, both in installing Linux itself as well as running VirtualBox (and eventually more general Linux apps). I might also want to run other Linux distros in VMs to try them out, so I might be doing multiple VMs at once

I'd be running the native OS and vhds off of an SSD in an older machine, with parts mostly from around 2009-2010 (SSD is newer). It's a quad-core Phenom II with a 5770 for video and 6gb ram (ddr3). I believe the mobo is legacy-only, no UEFI, and I have two (NTFS-formatted) HDDs for my files/games, no RAID or anything. Dunno if any of that affects anything, just being thorough

Secondly, is there a way to move my existing physical Windows partition to a vhd so I won't have to deal with reinstalling and getting my apps set back up the way I like them, or am I going to have to start from scratch for my Windows VM?

Attached: Oracle-VirtualBox.png (140x180, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/
torrent.fedoraproject.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Setting_up_IOMMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How much RAM do you have, and how many cores is your machine?

the windows experience is gonna be awful in a virtualbox vm. the manly way is to use virt-manager with pcie passthru

just be sure to keep that vomit inside the box. tight.

Right in the OP, 6gb ddr3 and a quad-core

Not familiar with virt-manager, is it just another VM software?

What, Windows?

Why use wangblows at all?

just make another parititon for winshit (label: cesspit) for your shitware gaymes, data mining, viruses, trojans etc.

Start off by running Linux in the VM and keep Windows as your host. Use Linux for more and more until you're running it full-screen nearly all the time and are totally comfortable with it, including the CLI. Distro hop in a way that is simple, fast, and stress free until you find the magical unicorn distro you can be happy with. THEN make Linux the host. Or don't ever, given that the kinds of things you'd rely on Windows for (aka vidya), are shit on a VM, and your overall experience will suffer way less if Windows is the host.

Personally, I think if you'll try things this way you'll quickly learn the easy way that Linux is complete and utter shit and actually manages to make Windows 10 sound appealing by comparison. Then you'll delete your VM and no harm done.

>Start off by running Linux in the VM and keep Windows as your host
That is fucking retarded. The host should be more secure than the guest.

it is but i dont think ops main concern is ultimate security but rather just simply learning linux

>virt-manager
Isn't that kinda baseded?

Actually, if I intend to use a GUI to manage my VMs, is there a way to remotely manage them via virt-manager or something else?
I'm not keen on installing an x-server and using VNC on my hypervisor system.

Xubuntu would be the best experience. Or Manjaro/Arch with Xfce.
6GB ddr3 isn't enough for running a virtual machine. You'll have shit performance since any OS will need 2GB of RAM, OSs which need less are generally less convenient to use. Integrated graphics is also kinda bad since dedicated+integrated gives you the option of pci passthrough.
On your current hardware it's better to just dual boot. Also Windows 7 is much better in a VM than W10.

I started by running windows in a VM on a windows host just to get the feeling for it, performance issues, and so on. Then I switched to a linux host with the same VM guest image.

I don't have integrated graphics, just the 5770

6GB sucks though, huh? Shame

virt-manager is just a frontend gui for underlying systems like libvirt and vfio. yes you can remotely control

I wager there's no Windows client, right?

Oh shit, I thought it was an fx CPU. Well, yes. 6GB isn't ideal even if you're not making VMs. Unless you won't use Linux for anything while using windows. I guess you could use 1GB for Linux and 5GB for windows. In which case you should use Xfce or not even use a DE. But in order to get proper performance you need to make a pci passthrough, and install the systems on separate HDDs or onto an SSD.

you're concerned about running a gui on your hypervisor but yet you want to control the hypervisor with windows?

Yes.
Basically, my concerns are two-fold.
On the one hand, I don't want to install superfluous stuff on my hypervisor if I can avoid it. Shit like an x-server. After all, the system is running on four gigs of RAM and a Celeron CPU.
In addition, I want things to be "neat". I'd much rather launch a single tool on my main system (which is Windows) than log into my hypervisor via VNC just to use a GUI tool. I'm okay with SSH, but using a GUI/mouse interface over a VNC connection just feels off.
If my only option is to use the Linux version of virt-manager, I'll set up a Linux VM on my main system. But again, I'd much rather just have a single tool I can open and be done with, similar to XenCenter.

Not OP, but along similar tracks.

Is there a way to find out if a computer has VT-d? I have a Dell T3500 with a Xeon 5650, the CPU has VT-x and VT-d but I don't know if the motherboard supports it.

check uefi noob

Motherboard doesn't matter, the instruction set is in the CPU
Check here ark.intel.com/

Right, but I thought some features like VT-d weren't supported on lower end Intel chipsets. I must be mistaken then. That's fine. Maybe I'll get another low end Quadro to pass one through to the VM.

>and running Windows 10 (my current OS) in a VM
no point

distro is fedora lxde
torrent.fedoraproject.org/

>and a Celeron CPU
forget about it

>debian
>best performance

It won't be worse than a Raspberry Pi.

use wine

You'll want to check your IOMMU groups too, you can run the following from a livecd/USB stick
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Setting_up_IOMMU

this dude is right, except for the part where you are ditch linux because you are too brainlet to use it properly.