Why isn't fanless cases more popular?

Attached: 1506031807182.jpg (1280x440, 119K)

they cost more. it's cheaper to just slap on a fan and most users don't care, they're so used to noise and dust that they go along with it.

because it does not cool enough

Because it's stupid. A case has enough space for a somewhat silent fan. And since it's a case, you can put it far enough away to be literally silent.

Expense, poor efficiency, poor cooling capacity, and the fact that you can make an audibly silent water cooling set up for any application.

I really want one :-(

Attached: 1482455952532.png (491x492, 542K)

Learn English.

so sexy

Attached: 1514112940305.jpg (1200x900, 119K)

Not enough for a gay-man computer, but enough for most use cases.
~30W is easy to dissipate fanlessly and modern power efficient CPUs don't make more than that.

Water cooling outside of gay-man or some very high power CPUs is just dumb as fuck.

>Water cooling outside of gay-man or some very high power CPUs is just dumb as fuck.
Been used in servers for longer than you'd been alive most likely.

This is Jow Forums if you aren't running a housefireK with a housefireTI, I don't know what you are doing here.

Yes, as I said that's one use case that isn't dumb as fuck.
Also, the vast majority of servers are still air cooled.

>Also, the vast majority of servers are still air cooled.
The vast majority of servers aren't critical or very powerful. In fact the overwhelming vast majority of servers are intentionally gimped to save on energy costs.
>Yes, as I said that's one use case that isn't dumb as fuck.
Nope, kid.

>used in servers for longer than you'd been alive most l
you're both fucking faggots so suck my cock you cucks.

>shills for watercooling
>calls others kid
Go back to playing your Call of Duty #46, faggot.

The fact that when someone says water cooling and all you can think about is gaming and Reddit computers really is pathetic.

because silent fans are better

15lbs of treated copper and 25lbs of machined steel cost how much exactly?

Talk about being overly excessive so you don't have to hear a whirling sound of a slow fan not much louder then a soft whisper 5 feet away.

he specifically said "high power cpus"

>silent
>pump and/or fan
nope

Looks like a bento box

Attached: almost but not quite smug.png (448x463, 211K)

Just a meme, it will pass by

nah, it only weighs 16lbs total

what about a case that had a sort of wind tunnel with a big heatsink in it, with heatpipes that go inside the compartment with the hardware?
this way the hardware is sealed and dust free, but you don't need to use shitty low power components

Attached: case.png (875x497, 16K)

you can kinda do that already

Attached: 1507583787887.jpg (700x1316, 451K)

yeah, but that's still inside the case
what happenend to those guys who built passively cooled xeon workstations with dual gpus?

>~30W is easy to dissipate fanlessly
Just buy a embedded PC and get a room, faggot.

because u cant hear a silent fan dummy

I'm almost completely passive anyway.
Power draw is so low my power supply never spins up, only running fan is the Noctua on my CPU which is silent.

Attached: IMG_20171229_175530.jpg (3314x1947, 1002K)

those fanless gpu throttles though

I haven't experienced this yet, but I don't play many AAA games. Alien Isolation held a solid framerate maxed out.

They should just build more cases with mineral oil immersion in mind. Put a passive radiator taking up the entire top of the case; the heated oil will rise to the top of the case due to the density difference, without the need for pumps. But even if you DO put some pumps in, they won't be as noisy as normal water cooling because they are submerged.

The only hurdle is to figure out how to make the back panel watertight so oil doesn't leak down your cables. IMO, make an extension panel of sorts, short wires run from the motherboard's ports into a second watertight panel on the back of the case (kind of like how an external enclosure for HDDs works). There's also the question of whether to immerse the PSU or to just build a separate compartment for it outside the oil chamber.

come on user, it'd be an absolute mess to upgrade components or debug any kind of issue

Haven't you heard everybody is going to start making BGA boards? In the not-so-distant future, you will just buy a board that has the CPU, memory, and 120GB of 3dxpoint hardwired onto the board. Hard drives? Just buy an external or use a NAS. Troubleshooting? Take the board out, hang it up to gravity dry for a few hours, then mail it back to the manufacturer for warranty replacement.

no, thanks
I don't like not having options

Too bad. They are going to shove it down your throat, and you will like it, or else!

In all seriousness though, I doubt we'll continue having all the options we do for much longer. The hobbyist desktop market is going to collapse, replaced by all-in-one solutions. You'll have to bump up to server class shit to choose your own parts. Mobile is too big these days, nobody wants a desktop PC anymore, they'd rather just buy a tablet. Even laptops are on fucking life support these days.

intel nuc i5 skylake completely passive cooled with an akasa full aluminum body case, 50°C idle

go fuck yourself, shit doesn't work on x86, passive cooling only works reliably on embedded risc processors

>The hobbyist desktop market is going to collapse
People have been saying that for almost 20 years now, but it's bigger than ever.

I said audible, autist.
The desktop market is already dead. What are you talking about?

>The desktop market is already dead.
No it's not, what are you talking about?

>No it's not, what are you talking about?
See intell. The desktop market is the smallest relevant thing they got.

Just because everyone has a phone doesn't change the fact that the desktop market is bigger than ever.

>why isn't not dissipating heat on expensive hardware more popular?
Peak macfaggotry

Because badass fans are just as cool as other badass hardware.

Attached: 35-132-042-Z02.jpg (1280x960, 53K)

I mean if you're ignorant and got some massive blinders ya I guess... You got new CPUs and mobos coming out all the time so if that's all you see then sure. If you've been in the game for awhile you've seen the stagnation and the change of focus to other markets. The niche products for the desktop market are all dead for that reason. Or what niche company left is nothing like what they were. The market while large isn't actually growing any new demand.

Passive cooling is such a meme. As if a computer which makes less noise than the birds chirping outside your window is such a bother

Expensive and poor cooling capacity, as already mentioned. You can get much better cooling with even a minimal amount of forced airflow.

Also the build process is more difficult and compatibility is worse. Take your pic and imagine there's a heatsink on the motherboard to the right of the CPU for cooling the VRMs. How you gonna get the heatpipes over to the side panel? They just aren't practical for most people.

There's a limit to how large the hobbyist market can grow, but growth isn't the only indicator of a market's health. Yes, there was a huge influx of normalfags on the desktop in the early 2000, which is now siphoning over to phones and tablets. But the actual number of desktop hobbyists is still larger today than at any time, and there's no reason to think it's going to die off any time soon. Maybe prices will keep increasing, maybe there'll be even less normalfags, but that's not necessarily bad things.

Maybe I assumed you thought the desktop market was more than just cpus and mobos. Like I said the niche markets are fucking dead. Voodoo is gone, PCpower and cooling is gone, Falcon Northwest may as well be dead, the sound market for pc is 99% home theater and the rest being shit sound cards, monitors that are 3-4 years behind available TV tech, all the water cooling stuff is 10+ years old, etc. It;s dead as dead gets. It's so bad that most exciting new thing to hit the desktop market is fans with rgb lighting or some kind of fancy bearing tech.

Not the other other user, but discrete GPU sales are a good indicator of how the enthusiast market is doing and those numbers are fine. Sure, less normies are buying desktops to use as facebook machines now that everyone has a smartphone, but there's more people than ever buying/building gaming PCs.

Well, if you said the hobbyist desktop market is changing then I'd agree with you. But niche markets drying up doesn't necessarily mean the market as a whole is dying. A huge variety of niche components at almost no cost is a pretty new thing in the hobbyist desktop market. It existed before them, and it will exist after them.

I was a desktop hobbyist in the 80s and you didn't exactly have the option to browse from thousands of psu models back then. Also, shit was 10 times as expensive correlated to purchaser parity and inflation today.

But I'll agree things have been stagnant for a while. It's usually like that between leaps in tech.

>Support Max 95 TDP
The answer you seek is in your pic. There's probably $150 worth of heatpipes in that thing and after you put in a decent processor you have 40W to work with for a GPU. If you are going to limit yourself to laptop TDP then you might as well get a laptop.

People are buying gpus and cpus. They aren't spending money in the desktop market.
Because there's no need for the PSUs like we have today back then.
Again the market is fucking dead. You used to actually be able to buy monitors that rivaled the best production monitor available for just thousands. Expensive and not many people bought them but the market was healthy enough to support it. Compare to the current dead desktop market which literally (not the meme) can't support any niche market.

>People are buying gpus and cpus. They aren't spending money in the desktop market.
CPU and GPUs that... are used in desktop PCs. Maybe we have different ideas about what the "desktop market" is, but these are definitely desktop parts as it's traditionally defined.

Again, no. You've got hung up on a very short period in the history of hobbyist desktop computers, like a decade or so and because things are changing you're sperging out and thinking it's dead. But things have changed in much larger and impactful ways than what you're describing in the past, several times.

Perhaps it's dead to you since you can't get the "best production monitor available for just thousands," but there are still more desktop hobbyists now than ever that it's not dead for.

>You used to actually be able to buy monitors that rivaled the best production monitor available for just thousands
You can still buy monitors that are very good at what they're meant to do (color critical work) for thousands. Go check out Eizo's catalog.

>limited cooling capacity
>low TDP parts = less powerful = cheaper components
>cheaper low TDP components aren't paired with expensive cases

Autists never understand anything. Uber niche cases are not popular because they're not fucking popular. This has no use outside of something like a recording studio, even then laptops are used. This is niche, it always will be. What's so hard to understand?

Because it's a fucking gimmick. You get vastly superior cooling with a 400-600rpm fan that's 100% inaudible unless you're sticking your ear right next to your case.

You're gonna have to explain this retard logic where a market that by any reasonable definition has fallen into stagnation with minimal performance increases with each generation and all niche markets have found to be not healthy for profit is somehow doing well.
>Eizo's
Garbage. Better off waiting for a used sony bvm on ebay.

too heavy and expensive.

GPU performance increases by 20-25% every generation. And GPU sales continue to do well.

>are not popular because they're not fucking popular

Attached: 1532543227182.png (747x563, 54K)

>People are buying gpus and cpus. They aren't spending money in the desktop market.

YouTube comments are smarter than average Jow Forums posts these days.

Attached: vO7lRZ7[1].png (621x702, 56K)

Because a $10 heatsink + a $5 fan do a lot more to dissipate heat than $30 worth of copper and aluminium.

>You're gonna have to explain this retard logic where a market that by any reasonable definition has fallen into stagnation with minimal performance increases with each generation and all niche markets have found to be not healthy for profit is somehow doing well.
Because we've been in a period of artificial inflation. People always think a market crashing a bit is the end of the world, but usually it's actually a sign of health. The actual death of the desktop market would be if there was no more people interested in it. But more people are interested in hobbyist computing today than at any time in history.

>GPU performance increases by 20-25% every generation
That fact that you said that as a positive really shows your age or how new you are to the hobby. Let me say this again since it seems I made a mistake in assuming you had the competency of understanding that the desktop market is not just cpus and gpus. The desktop market includes a lot of things, Sony being a big one to name.
That's simply false. They're interested in AMD/Intel/Nvidia and nothing more. Just look at how long it took gsync to get off the ground. The best thing for display technology in years took years just to be adopted.

>The desktop market includes a lot of things, Sony being a big one to name.
Ah... where do I acquire one of these Sony thingies? Are they like PCI-e cards or...?

>gsync
kek, ok I thought we were having a serious discussion here.

I'm not the same guy you stupid fuck. You're a massive retard in general, no one knows what the fuck you're blabbing on about.

Attached: notme.png (344x114, 6K)

Ya such a good sign for a market that Sony in its prime left it. That's what the retards ITT are suggesting.
Funny kid. Do explain how a standard for a better vsync that included a strobe is bad.

Sounds like you're talking about the non-enthusiast desktop market. Sure, that market has been dropping off for a while, as consumers fill the need with smart devices, laptops, or AIOs, while businesses/education can get by with thin clients. But the enthusiast market is doing fine.

>Funny kid. Do explain how a standard for a better vsync that included a strobe is bad.
I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying it has nothing to do with the desktop hobbyist market, which is what I'm talking about.

I have no idea what you're angry about. Is the fact that mobos, cpus and gpus now have integrated soundcards, network, wifi and controlers and stuff like that? You want a million different companies rushing it to satisfy niche segments of the market? Because companies don't usually like being in the business just to supply to those niches.

Typically less powerful and more throttling

>Water cooling outside of gay-man or some very high power CPUs is just dumb as fuck.
Don't certain high powered workstations use water cooling? I know Apple had a water cooled power mac and nvidia has a high end workstation with it

There's always been guys like him. They tie their shit up to the current meme companies and as they become obsolete they think everything is going to crash. There were guys like that when the whole soundcard market crashed years and years ago, and with all the other niche products that's changed radically or disappeared completely over the years.

Sony got into making desktops in what, the mid to late 90s? That's around the time desktops were starting to hit commodity pricing with eMachines,, Compaq, HP, Gateway, etc. racing to the bottom. It was just a bad time to try to compete in that market as the pseudo-premium brand Sony was at that point. Not really a surprise they dropped out of it.

Yes it is. And graphic cards are the fucking worst.

yeah those IT gypsy people suck

Name one relevant niche product in today's desktop market.
I was talking about their monitors.

>Name one relevant niche product in today's desktop market.
GPU's would be the most obvious I guess? What does it matter?

How is a gpu niche in today's desktop market?

>relevant niche product
water cooling, after market GPU coolers, silent cases, motherboards with led controllers, single slot video cards, passively cooled gpus

Attached: palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-kalmx.jpg (800x622, 259K)

>I was talking about their monitors
They probably dropped out of that market for the same reason: monitor prices were dropping fast in the early 2000s, and Sony could no longer compete in the consumer display market. They still make professional broadcast displays, so long as you don't mind forking over $25k+.

Is that a meme palit 1050ti or 750ti?

Man great examples... Also I just have to point out
>silent cases
That shit has been dead for years. You can't release a case now without a huge window.
No they left for the same reason all the other high end monitor companies like Viewsonic left. The market died and became stagnant. It was no longer profitable.

I live in fucking florida

What a fucking stupid question. Did you have a think before posting this?.

Attached: what yo.jpg (438x352, 41K)

>Man great examples...
Is this ironic I'm not sure if these things are too niche ... except motherboards with led controllers
... although a relevant niche is somewhat of an oxymoron...

You didn't name a single product. You just listed generic shit or a separate product line as a niche just because it's separate.

>anything to drown out the sounds of outdoors

here's an image of a product

>The market died and became stagnant
The market for high end monitors? Has the number of professionals that need these kind of monitors decreased? Are there fewer photographers, graphic/print designers, video editors now? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm not sure what kind of mental gymnastics you're trying to pull off by saying asus is niche.

>silent cases
I got a sweet "silent" case from Nanoxia. Deep something, something. Anyways, I don't think they make those any longer...

Yes those in need of those monitors had to leave the desktop market and are now solely in the professional monitor market which only exists today and not in the past. Look at a catalog from the 90s. There was no distinction for monitors. You saw the most high end Sony right next to their budget model.

And if you do see something saying professional monitor back then it was most likely referring to a medical model.

I thought we were talking about products and not companies. A large company can make a product for a small specific market. A good example would be sonys hidpi epaper tablet

Attached: DPT_CP1_007.0.jpg (1200x800, 126K)

Thought it was clear I was talking about niche companies filling a need in the market when I brought up examples like Falcon Northwest and PCpower and cooling.... You see random shit from big companies all the time nothing of which is very niche.

Don't see what relevance that pen has to the desktop market. Maybe I'm ignorant about it.

>Northwest and PCpower
How? They're just system builders...

Pointless. Good fans are virtually silent and cheap on the electric bill. There's no reason not to have a fan.