Anybody else completely dropping Windows as your main OS once Windows 7 loses support?

Anybody else completely dropping Windows as your main OS once Windows 7 loses support?

I'll probably make a solely game intended Windows 10 build but my main is definitely going Linux by that point.

Attached: window.jpg (4000x2250, 535K)

Yep

I haven't used Windows since I was in high school, and that was XP. I don't think there is a single good reason to subject yourself to that shit stain OS.

I switched to 10 LTSB which is pretty much 7 with 10 UI so i get security updates until 2026, then dunno.

>Windows 10 build
thats hardly "completely dropping" it.

I already did when Windows 10 was released. Better jump ship early.

>Implying that it matters when microsoft drops support
It wont matter as long as the user base remains big

>dropping windows 7
Hell no. Linux is less energy efficient on my laptop than Windows, from 2.5 to as much as 5 W and consuming a couple of Wh extra when you got 47 can mean losing on autonomy.
And these thing already weight 5kg, I'm not buying 3kg worth of battery to compensate for Linux's poor drivers.

I tried a bunch of Linux distros, but this shit just isn't ready for desktop usage, unless all you is watch anime and shitpost

Just use windows 10 you spastic, what's the fucking point, you'll get used to it. I did, and I loved 7. Linux is for aspies and code junkies

I used Win7 for a good while, but when I tried out Windows 10 on a laptop at work, I decided to avert the horrible future and dropped my dependence on Windows.

i dropped windows as my main os once 95 lost support

try a hackintosh?

I hear this is a common problem I fixed my power issues simply by installing TLP I get about the same bat life on a windows install vs my ele os install

I'll still use Windows 7 long after the end of "support" date. People still run XP and it lost support back in 2014. Just cause it's past the support date does not mean the os is useless, just that there will be no more patches provided. Unless your a complete fucktard who runs his computer with no firewall or antivirus or who has a shitton of ports open on his router, then you really ain't got much to worry about.

Already did, just using Win10 for gaymen now.

Attached: 1533930831513.png (2283x2387, 376K)

>get 9 hours battery life on windows
>14 hours on linux

Attached: 1520199393173.jpg (1600x1200, 125K)

Windows 10 just werks.

Attached: 1531710757893.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Who cares about support ? You guys actually do the updates ? It's more of a relief to me

Just use Linux and game on it. Anything that doesn't work can be done in a VM with a passthrough, in which case use w7/8.1 in the VM.

>isn't ready for desktop usage
It's been ready for years. That's like saying windows isn't ready for desktop use when you use it for the first time after using GNU/Android/MacOS exclusively your entire life.

I'll drop Win7 the moment my Soundcard has mainline kernel support, which isn't that far away. Guess a month or two.

i'm sick of seeing you zoomers complain about windows because you are too fucking daft and retarded to use windows 10

Windows 10 is literally the boomer's wet dream, user.

why even use windows as a game os save the 150$ you save on a legal windows key and use it on a better graphics card that will make up the 8% drop in performance on Proton/wine literally nothing is windows exclusive any more not even DX12.

win10 is ok for desktop.

Lots of apps make it shittier than it really is, adobe, google, office everyone has it's own spying apps that constantly trash disk and cpu.

agreed, these threads about win10 are getting more and more retarded

I've recently tried dualbooting Linux mint on my pc, but it's kind of a mess on my system. I use a gtx 690 (dual gpu card) to run my main monitor and one side monitor, then I have a gtx 460 that runs my other side monitor. In Windows this works without issue allowing sli performance in video editing and gayming while the 460 handles the other monitor. In Linux with the most up to date nvidia driver I can only use the monitors connected to the 690. If I use the xorg server driver all monitors turn on but the system hangs for about 2 seconds if I move my cursor to the 460 monitor. Also my gayming performance was awful in linux. I used dust II in csgo as a benchmark. In a comp game on that map in Windows I'm generally bouncing between 200 and 320 fps, in Linux I was getting between 50 and 110. If anyone has any suggestions to make Linux work better on my system I'd love to hear them. I'd like to use Linux more often if it wasn't so problematic on my system.

Attached: speccy.png (905x649, 49K)

Yep, in the process of saying fuck you to Windows. Was going to build my first htpc with a new low tdp amd chip, until I found out that new chips are not supported.

I stopped using windows in 2008 when gnu/linux was finally good enough to be a primary desktop.

>win7 loses official support
>the retard thinks they have to stop using it

I used windows 2000 up until windows 7 came out, and by that point I moved to gnu/linux

i will switch to linux when it has full disk encryption for both the system drive and storage drives (and no, the home folder encryption that Ubuntu does in the setup does not count fuckface)

That actually werked, linux now idles at 10W. Cool

Already did it 2 years ago. Win7 was the last comfy Microsoft OS I used in my PC, I tried Win10 but got so pissed off with it that I changed to Ubuntu, then Mint and planning to use Arch, Debian or even FreeBSD in the future. It's working pretty good for me, I hope it work for you.

Write a fix for it.

Good for you. I use Windows 10 but I feel like they have too much of a market share right now. Mac users also need to drop their shitty OS.

Valve has made most Windows Steam games work on Linux through WINE and DXVK.

Name a SINGLE thing wrong with Windows 10. Oh wait, you can't.

>Novidya
This sort of thing is why Nvidia is dogshit on Linux for everything but raw gaymes FPS. It's entirely due to their asstacular drivers not using the system APIs for this kind of thing, and most Wayland sessions are refusing to support Nvidia at ALL until they cut this shit out. Even fucking BROADCOM, whose half assed NIC drivers screwed up Linux adoption for the better part of a decade, use the proper GPU APIs.

Spyware
Key logging
Garbage scheduler on NUMA systems - Linux is up to 470% faster on a Threadripper 2990WX
Worse compatibility with old Windows programs than WINE
Updates that are both intrusive and unreliable

no

Couldn't said it better myself. This type of threads were awful even some years ago but right now they are completely abhorrent.

Attached: 1532585640427.png (817x443, 34K)

Windows 7 was bad, but it could be made to work. Not so with 10.
I have to use Windows 10 at work and it's a shit show. Major bugs everywhere in the OS, it's slow and stuttery at everything (32GB RAM, SSD, modern i7), notifications are a mistake, the taskbar is a mistake, the lack of a quicklaunch is a major mistake, ten different Control Panels, the virtual desktop system is badly implemented and thus hard to use effectively.
It's clear that Microsoft doesn't hire humans, but some sort of cargo cultists aliens who were kicked off their home planet for not understanding things.
MacOS is pretty shitty, but after using it for a few years I must accept that it is decades beyond anything Microsoft has out right now.