Old imac ideas

recently i have come into possesion of an old fucking imac (i have tried installing chrome and firefox neither of which are compatible with it) and other than browsing the internet (a subpar experience) i need ideas for what to do with it
i spent ~$40 on it
its in relatively good condition, the screen is clean with no visible defects
wat do Jow Forums ???

Attached: 1535261908398.jpg (1280x851, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macintoshgarden.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Myst and Riven.

Is going to a karaoke box with other people actually fun?

Which model is it?

>it's a mactoddler thinks he or his fruity toddler toys belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1528481675331.png (400x1650, 367K)

>recently i have come into possesion
Give it back, Jamal.

You don’t install ff or chrome retard. You install tenfourfox

Give it back, Tyrone.

If it's an imac g4, it's trash, if it's an imac G5, install debian on it and max out your RAM, if it's an imac g3, install openbsd on it and use it as a terminal.

>If it's a mac, it's trash
Fixed.

Only intel macs are trash, 68k and PPC macs aren't.

>PPC macs aren't.
Macs are trash, period.

Attached: 1507038545304.png (610x1054, 160K)

Whatever advantage the Pentium 4 had in single core performance was completely shattered by the dual core G5s - that article only mentions the dual CPU G5s. Additionally, when that was written there were no 64 bit P4s, so they supported only 3.84gb of RAM, and of course the G5s could support 8gb because they were 64bit. It wasn't until the C2D that intel had an advantage.

>dual core G5s

Attached: 1505905877856.jpg (448x336, 23K)

>68k and PPC macs aren't.
That's where you're wrong mactoddler.

Attached: 1507829516016.png (686x955, 520K)

>Apple III
Not even 68k, way to btfo yourself.

and why would i want them?
idk man
G5, its from ~2006
no nigger
>its a winigger using crapple for the first time
not a nigger, please note the part where i got it for a sum of money
its all ive ever used, but ill check it out
i tried with ubuntu but it was on a disc, should i try with a thumbstick instead?
its just a cheap fucking computer that i got because cheap old tech + Jow Forums memes

If you want to use OS X, the most recent version that will run on it is OS X Leopard (10.5).
For web browsing on OS X you will want to use either TenFourFox or leopard-webkit.
For installing other more recent software, your best bet is probably "tigerbrew", but you might find it takes forever compiling anything.

If you want to use Linux and get a wider range of precompiled modern software, your best bet currently is probably ppc64 Debian Sid.
To install it, download the Debian Jessie ppc64 installer, boot the files from it from Open Firmware, install Jessie, then add the Debian Ports repos and upgrade to Sid.
You should be able to install Firefox ESR, recent versions of Java (though I think Java 7 with JamVM will be the fastest), up to date Clang + GCC.
See how well you get on with various different browser engines too, such as WebKit1GTK, WebKit2GTK, QtWebKit-5.212. Luakit on Debian uses WebKit1 and Surf uses WebKit2. Arora and qutebrowser-qtwebkit use QtWebKit. Chromium and anything Chromium based like QtWebEngine does not exist for PowerPC.
mpv should work very nicely for playing videos.

Another possible option I've not tried myself is Adélie Linux.

Install os9 and play games from macintoshgarden.org/

Attached: 1528467208013.png (709x636, 167K)

>
Did you click the wrong post or are you just blind?

He probably meant to redirect you to

as much as i would like to play many of the games on there it just isnt possible, between more than half of the games being for 68k architecture and this imac download at speeds of about 1mb/s, i dont see myself playing any of them anytime soon, but it is interesting none the less

just looked again, its actually at .1mb/s emphasis on the .1 (point one) as in 1/10th mb/s
this is really fucking atrocious, i didnt expect it to be super fast but this is just garbage

>macshit
Found your problem.

well in my defense im normally a windows fag but this thing was so cheap at a second-hand shop i couldnt resist giving it a go. and what do ya know, its even worse than i ever anticipated
how much you think i could get for it?
like anywhere, scrap and otherwise?

>G5, its from ~2006
Unironically install Gentoo. Or NetBSD. Nothing else really works well on a PowerPC machine.

i tried using a cd with ubuntu on it but it just ejected it out, im assuming im gonna need a usb drive for it?