Find a flaw

Find a flaw.
Pro tip: you can't

Attached: large_v-trans.png (1354x1208, 46K)

Have to make an account to see the flaw.

the user base
>(you)

What do you mean? I only use Docker at my workplace. Community is nice.

it doesnt actually solve any problems.

nothing that a simple shell script couldnt already solve.

just makes builds more complicated and forces you to memorize their shitty cli

It's written in Go, consumes too much memory when running nothing, needs fairly long to start up, unnecessarily connects to more than 3 domains at startup, isn't free, neither in terms of the licence as well as in price and it's a fucking huge install that takes over 4 GiB of hard disk space.

this tbqh. it's for the javascript generation

Docker is a tool, it's not meant to replace shell scripting- it's supposed to work alongside it, dumbass. The whole idea is that your environment travels with your project, so that you don't have to worry about your project behaving differently in different environments. And it's much more efficient than VMs. There is literally no downside to adopting docker.

Christ, I can't wait until you boomers die off. Day of the pillow when.

Attached: 0245802468234.png (1501x930, 78K)

>docker means you can be lazy and not write portable code
fucking generation javascript does it again

It creates lazy devs and admins

>There is literally no downside to adopting docker.
Can't you read? It connects to multiple domains at startup, is written in go, consumes too much memory when running nothing, isn't free as in it costs money, isn't open source as in you have no idea if the german government decides to fuck your company over for teh lulz and it's a fucking huge install that takes over 4 GiB of hard disk space.

docker is awesome, it makes installer obsolete and unifies dev and prod environment

"ja hier ist alles awesome, aber keiner glücklich"

Attached: 1530064274929.jpg (713x611, 62K)

This. If you want containers just run open source solutions.

>it doesnt actually solve any problems.
Actually, it is. We use it at our company to separate users connected to workspaces, so they can't do any harm or steal data.

Complete overkill.

nothing wrong with it itself but its existence feels like a bit of a hack to get around the fact that other technologies (programming languages, operating systems, file systems) are irresponsibly built

you shouldn't need the additional code and data docker mandates just so whatever you're stuffing in a docker container is able to ignore other code and data

boy, you are fucking slow...
not him, but docker is for avoiding library bugs present on different distros. you work around the bugs of a single distro, and effortlessly deploy your application on every linux server without needing to care about the availability or the bugs of the specific version of the library you rely on.

No, because they have access to a Linux shell environment, and we don't want to risk them exploiting it, and I think our cybersecurity/cryptography researchers know what they are doing.

The downtime to docker would be the security. It can be secure, but it requires the maintainers to properly update their images.It's not an inherent flaw of docker, but a realistic flaw.

>uses "too much" ram, implying you don't have that much to begin with
>costs money
>only 4gbs
stop being poor. ram and hdds aren't that expensive these days (unless we're talking about ddr4 ram)

>written in go
>requires a daemon

>>written in go
>>requires a daemon
nice memes, do you even know what a
>daemon
is?

>stop being poor
Okay, it's good advice after all.
You interpreted my implication wrong though, but that's okay, you're trying to uplift me after all.

>dockerfag at work thinks he is hot shit
>cant build an app for shit
>but he is friend with the boss and got a better place than me
one day though.

Contrarians here are really struggling to find a valid reason.

You take care of that on the networking end of things, not the user end. That's weird

You might want to check out this book here

Attached: 71iWj8xxYGL.png (512x512, 199K)

Can someone please explain what the fuck docker is?

What do mean by that? They can connect to the shell through SSH, where they can compile and run anything that isn't restricted by their privilege level.

Then explain why it is a cardinal problem that it was written in Go and requires a daemon. Is it not cool, because only C and Haskell are preferred among neets here?

I guess I don't get the point of using docker in your scenario security wise.

>Docker
It has synergy

Our scenario is that users connect to a preconfigured environment where they can act freely, and Docker is much more efficient resource and security wise, because it shares resources bt isolates processes.

It has what developers crave

Rkt?

>isn't open source as in you have no idea if the german government decides to fuck your company over for teh lulz
Why would they do that?

- Container management sucks. You have to use docker compose. Even this sucks. We orchestrate Docker using Salt.
- Docker swarm is a joke. It is unreliable and not very self-healing.
- libnetwork is a tragedy. Those webdev monkeys even can't IPv6.
- better never upgrade Docker or be prepared for fun times ahead
- aufs, devicemapper, overlay. All broken as fuck. Luckily overlay2 doesn't show problems for now
- did I already say container management sucks? Oh yeah, it sucks. Try to change configuration without re-creating containers.
- oh, yeah, libnetwork is a tragedy. Try to define multiple addresses and static routes. Not gonna work.

Attached: 1450331494141.gif (500x282, 273K)

Speaking of security, doesn’t the docker runtime run with root privileges? So if a piece of software running within a container managed to break out, it could get root via the engine. Or am I missing something?

>Trump puts sanctions on Germany because they don't want to buy gas from US instead of Russia
>Germany puts sanctions on US in return

Have you tried kubernetes?

They wouldn’t destroy your docker cluster assuming they could even do that. They would just charge more for enterprise.

Syscalls have gigantic overhead and it sucks still trying to run a graphical environment on it, and it's written in Go FOR A FUCKING NON NETWORKED APPLICATION. The only thing based about them is the fact that userspace is emulated way better than a chroot and they oppose systemd. That's it.

>opposing systemd is good

what was wrong with chroot?

>I can't use bash the post

Write once run anywhere was already solved by Java. If you wrote your server code in java you wouldn't have the problems docker is needed for
If you use docker on the user side it sucks too because you cannot access OS functions, so its completely useless for IoT

>Find a flaw.
>

>I think our cybersecurity/cryptography researchers know what they are doing.
No they're brainlets. Jow Forums on the other hand is confirmed 160IQ average.

>Current year: not using Qubes OS
/thread

Attached: 1523771346589.jpg (751x720, 54K)

Its under the apache license so it is open source?

Docker the company will go bankrupt because their product is unmonetizable, what are they going to do make money hosting Docker images a company can host for pennies in the cloud on their own deployment. Docker is ok but the real sell is the ability to network your containers together and deploy a complicated array of containers. Docker doesn't actually do this though so you have to use docker swarm or docker compose. Kubernetes is the best for all of this. Kubernetes will leave docker behind.

Also Docker is extremely fucking buggy and makes your apps slower. It is nice for running your linux builds on mac/windows.

Honestly my hope for the future is just some config file you enter all your hosts/keys and your containers and then it autoscales all your containers across all the hosts migrating containers to have the most efficient allocation of machine resources.

>everything runs with root privilege

>using a container to do a VM's work

either bad troll or just dumb, probably both

ITT: People upset because tools make some hard things easy.

good luck running a scalable database on it. enjoy your meme container.

>oppose systemd
Docker all the way then.

systemd advocates glow in the dark, I run them over with my car whenever I get the chance.

Find a use.
Protip: you can'

docker makes my job way easier; people running old as fuck system images that never autoupdate for the sake of "dev convenience"

lmao

I use docker instead of virtualenv in python. It's really nice

Good job pwning yourself, faggot

Why do I need it?

You are the shill here. Sell me on it.

>requires root

like shooting yourself in the foot

mounting local file system is a bitch. it takes up too much characters typing it in. Also docker networking is annoying.

It's not nearly as scalable as kubernetes is, out of the box
No, swarm does not count faggots

Attached: 1_k8s_overview.jpg (1200x727, 168K)

you need a virtual machine to use docker that create another container for your app

a container inside a container for just 10MB of binary

Kubernetes is container orchestration. Kubernetes is fucking great though I agree, it's hell of a lot better than worrying about provisioning infra and managing route tables.

Worked with some idiots who thought docker was the solution to everything. Just ended up scrapping all their shit and doing it as a dpkg when I had to go back and maintain it. Reduced the overhead by like 2.5x and now it won't be using packages that are 4 years out of date.