/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
→ → → → → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

old thread:

Attached: 21 crop.jpg (1080x1080, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md
pcpartpicker.com/list/WrVbRJ
bing.com/search?q=ubuntu workspace
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2739115
Jow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>which will be probably java or small talk
which will be probably java*

Where can i find a repository of uncropped versions of these images

Java or C# are reasonable static typed languages to learn OOP through. They're commonly used in industry so they're useful career-wise, and they're sane unlike C++.

RECORDING CARDS

Which one to get to reduce CPU usage so my videos don't lag as fk when using additional software?

I tried tinkering with OBS etc but high quality still sucks the life out of my 2500k.
How is the HD 60 Pro or the protable gear?

I am not a streamer or youtuber but have to create various training videos and content with my old computer and a laptop.
Only have up to 200€/$/Bongs.

Rig1- 2500k (nearly dead can't oc)
Rig2- i5-3320M

From my understanding capturecards only work well if you split the load:
A) use Rig1 software feed video to Rig2
B) let Rig2 run OBS and work with capture card data + Mic + CAM
C) feed picture to Monitor

Will latency be low enough for this to not look or sound shit?
Would it make more sense to just use rig2 monitor in fullscreen OBS to reduce further delay?

Is it safe to keep an m.2 SSD in a paper envelope?

How can I block shit opening in a new tab?
I go to a streaming site to watch series and it opens some crap in a new tab every time I play/pause the video.
The content of the page is blocked itself I believe by ublock but that window still opened in a new tab.
I'd like to add the url/domain to a script/plugin or something that will prevent a tab to be opened with that url/domain in it altogether.
See what I mean? Possible?

I will learn programming using one of them, user. when learning c++, which is what I plan after I learn programming, is that book route good enough? that's what I asked and wanted to know. thank you for replying

sauce on pic?

I wouldn't, though nothing will probably happen to it if you do. Still, better to use an antistatic bag.

Yes

What's a good uMatrix configuration for Jow Forums and Youtube?

If I update my Mesa drivers past the current version in the Debian repositories using these instructions will it cause any instability? And will I have to uninstall the official package or will it just override/update it?

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md

Im trying to remote desktop to my pc at home from school, but

When i configure my router with a static IP

the internet goes out at home after a bit of time passes, what do?

Your ISP doesn't like you setting a static IP instead of letting their DHCP assign one. Instead, use a dynamic DNS service like no-ip.

Why is libvpx's single pass encoding so shit when it comes to VP9?

Attached: 01531.png (1280x720, 961K)

how do sites like apple have apple.com and @apple.com email addresses? do they have a web server and email server running on the same machine?

Should I buy a sealed 1070 for $300?

Or should I save and wait for the cheaper 2070/cheap 1080ti?

On integrated graphics rn.

Maybe it's intended for multi pass.

why, the main repository of course!

Where are you getting a sealed 1070 for $300?

yes, and look up mx record

How do I get rid of that button in the top left, the one with the files icon? I turned it on while messing with the settings on Gnome, but now I can't find how to disable it.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-26 18-14-19.png (893x593, 28K)

why does 'nvidia share.exe' (shadowplay) use ~650mb of ram while doing nothing? is this normal or is it leaking memory?
obs studio only uses ~170mb when idling.
i'd use obs, but sadly it doesn't support vulkan yet, so i'm stuck with shadowplay.

You dont have to use vulkan, you were able and willing to stream before vulkan existed.

>why is the program that does a big thing on the system preparing its self so i can use the program without having to wait 5 minutes for it to start up when i go to use it

linuxatemyram.com
go read that a few times

How do I attach pic related to the side of my ideapad 510s securely and non-permanently?

>inb4 duct tape

Attached: Screenshot (9).png (769x584, 122K)

>do they have a web server and email server running on the same machine?
They could but they don't need to be on the same machine. A domain name is just a list of records that provide instructions to whoever looks them up.

If you go type apple.com into your web browser, it'll look up apple.com's server that handles web traffic. If you send an email to someone @apple.com your email software will look up apple.com's sever that handles email. Domain names might point every inquiry to the same sever or they might point each service to its own server.

Update
Looks like the cleaning did the trick.

Attached: update.png (542x540, 150K)

velcro....

Nice one, but how do I attach the velcro to the laptop?

thanks, i understand now

You don't. You're using Gnome. They took out all the options years ago.

I want to activate pirated Office 2016, which one of these should I use?

Attached: Screenshot_20180826-203440.png (1080x1920, 2.52M)

Hey guys,
I'm trying to learn c++ cause it's very useful to competitive programming.
Would u guys have book recommendations?

Attached: 1535314147748.jpg (294x273, 14K)

LibreOffice is free, user.

I've had luck with Microsoft Toolkit. You did get those from My Digital Life, right? The ones from random websites have malware.

Also that screen looks atrocious.

>crop
Looks like it would have a god tier floor for sure.

Who are the best manufacturers when it comes to external hard drives? I've pretty much filled up the 1TB Toshiba external I have, but it's been acting all janky for the past 6 months or so.

It has issues connecting to my laptop and my desktop, only likes to work in one specific USB port on each computer, and will randomly disconnect whether I'm transferring files or not. Needless to say I'm a bit leery of buying another Toshiba drive.

Attached: toshiba-hard-drive.png (566x347, 165K)

Buy an 4-6tb drive for your internal and share it via network share or ftp for your laptop
External are shit and unreliable given the variables they'd be exposed too

Dumb question:
When PCPP says it uses 300 watts (or whatever), what time period is that over? Like 300 watts at load per second? 300 watts average per minute?

lol

WD

>what time period is that over?
at all times. Like a 75W light bulb uses 75W.

I'd still like to have an external. A lot of times I'll give my friends music or games that I have and it's a lot easier to just bring my external than lug around my laptop.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WrVbRJ
r8?

Get an internal drive and an enclosure. Enclosures seem to have less issues than the converter boards they sometimes use on external drives. And if the converter board in it dies, you're guaranteed that you can remove the drive and put it on an internal SATA port or get a new enclosure -- some external drives now have USB and no SATA built into the drive.

>You dont have to use vulkan, you were able and willing to stream before vulkan existed.
i don't stream and i only started recording (for me and for me only) last week. dx9, dx11 and opengl don't give me acceptable framerates while recording. vulkan does.

>preparing its self
650mb (working set, not reserved memory) in idle seemed excessive to me when similar software only uses a third of that.

nvidias recording software has been known to have memory leaks in the past from what i could gather. since i only just started using this software, i don't have any data from my system to compare it to.
that is why i was asking if this was normal ram usage for this process or not.

i have restarted my computer and recorded for a bit afterwards. now the same 3 nvidia share processes that used 650mb before rebooting use less than 150mb after doing the exact same thing i did a few hours ago.

how do you explain that?

Don't listen to this autistic faggot
Just get an external WD drive, they're fine.

They are indeed fine, until they aren't fine, and then your data is gone unless you want to pay for expensive data recovery, all because there's no way to bypass that flaky SATA to USB converter chip.

Do you even know what a memory leak is, and that isnt just "LOL ITS USING MEMORY ITS LEAKING OMG"?

>how do you explain that
Di you read the website i linked you? No? Well why didnt you? I know you didnt.
Go read it then come back

>there's no way to bypass that flaky SATA to USB converter chip.
You take the fucking drive out of the case you idiot. It's unlikely it will flake out, as all it's doing is changing the connector type. It's Serial ATA to Universal Serial Bus. It's SERIAL, no conversion being done.

Is my motherboard fucked?

After I leave my computer on for a while (usually after an hour or two) the screens will go plack even though the power computer is turned on. Additionally, pressing the number lock or caps lock keys does not change which lights are turned on on the keyboard. The power button doesn't work when it is like that, but after unplugging it and plugging in again it boots up and works for a while. Is there a way to tell if my motherboard is fucked? Computer is only three years old.

So Western Digital is good then? I've never used any of their stuff before. I was thinking about a Seagate but I remembered that a few people I know have used other products by Seagate and have had issues with their stuff.

And what good is that drive to you when it is out of the case and you're using a laptop with no open internal drive?
What fucking purpose is there when the drive isnt in the case?
That chip is going to fail way before the drive will.
Its a fucking fact

Conversion IS being done. USB and SATA may both be serial, but the protocols are different and incompatible.

>So Western Digital is good then?
Yeah. Some of their 4TB externals are the same WD Red drives they sell as 'internal' drives. Often cheaper too. Search around for 'Best Buy WD shuck' to find the part number.

He wants an external drive, sperg.

Buy a SATA to USB adapter faggot. And the drive is much more likely to fail, because it has moving parts.

Ok the other replies to this are getting funky. But it is worth noting that a lot of 2.5 inch externals are now fused directly to the USB with no sata port involved at all. So if something goes wrong with the case, the drive and your data are gone. It's also possible to have hardware encryption going without realizing it, and when the case goes the data is fucked.

>And what good is that drive to you when it is out of the case and you're using a laptop with no open internal drive?
You can at least replace the enclosure, which gets you a new USB-SATA conversion chip. If that was what failed, replacing it will make the drive work again.

>He wants an external drive, sperg.
Yes, and I still say enclosure + internal drive. More flexible, and more possible to fix.

That's what you would think, but I've seen plenty of external drives die from the USB to SATA converter going wonky or from damage to the USB port itself. Break a micro USB port attached to the drive PCB itself and your data is gone unless you like soldering tiny things. Break the micro USB port on an enclosure and you can just buy a new enclosure.

If you want to go to that extent, the drive is more likely to fail because it exists in an world full of entropy. A mini black hole is just as likely to spontaneously materialize around the drive.

External drives die at a higher rate then internal drives.

>buy new externals every 3 months cause converter chip fails

so, in the bottom right. there's a view which shows how windows are arranged on all desktops.
i dont know what to call that? or search for it?
im on ubuntu 16 and want to install it? what terms can i search for?

Attached: overview.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

>buy new externals every 3 months cause converter chip fails
Then you bought a crap enclosure and probably should have looked at reviews. At least you learned and can now buy a different enclosure and didn't lose your data.

>External drives die at a higher rate then internal drives.
Yeah, because people typically travel with them. If you carried your computer everywhere your 'internal' drives would fail just as fast.

workspace

so what should i search for workspace viewer?

try "workspace viewer"

the software was unable to free the ram after usage until i ended the process by rebooting the system. it performed the exact same tasks with one third of the memory after a reboot.
it clearly did not need over 600mb of memory to perform its task. it's a memory leak and/or a space leak, but it is definitely not 'normal', which is what i was asking. i guess i answered my own question.

if you can't help, why bother replying? stupid questions thread, not stupid answers thread.

i have another doubt. if i use a tiling WM can i still use that workspace viewer? is it possible? do you know any names that do it?

>if you can't help, why bother replying?
That is not a memory leak. A memory leak would be filling your ram till it OOM's when it is full and potenitally fills your SWAP as well.
It isnt a memory leak when a program simply uses god damn fucking ram cause its a program that is caching ahead what its going to use so that your dumb fucking self dosent spend 5 minutes waiting for it to open and then making a bitching post in this thread cause it takes 5 minutes to load cause you wont let it cache.

>STILL not reading my link

Pager.

bing.com/search?q=ubuntu workspace

thanks man. exactly what i was looking for

this did not help at all. i know what workspaces are. but still man thanks for helping

thanks

>a program that is caching ahead what its going to use
do you actually read my posts or do you just skim through them? as i said before, it performed the exact same tasks for roughly the same duration with one third of the ram after a reboot. what exactly did it cache if it clearly does not need the amount of memory to do the exact same fucking thing again?

i checked the memory usage during and after recording. it was never using more than ~150mb after the reboot.
it used 650mb before the reboot while doing nothing. so what did it need the extra half gigabyte of ram for?
and even if it somehow did require that amount at some point before (again, for doing the exact same thing), why did it not free the memory after it was done? currently it's still sitting at 150mb, so why did it only free the 500mb after restarting?

how in the fuck is this not a memory/space leak?

software doesn't randomly use more ram for no reason doing the same shit at a different time.

>counting BITS of ram usage instead of understanding the god damn principle in which ram is used
>doing nothing
How do you know it did nothing? How do you know that after hours of use it didn't allocate part of the ram in response to something you did in that hour?
You're unredeemable

Pull out all your ram slots and only use a stick of ddr-66mhz 256mb

You're sure there isn't any "power saving" options enabled that are turning your hardware and peripherals off? I recently fixed an issue where my wireless internet would drop randomly. Turns out my computer was "Saving power" by disabling my wireless card when it thought I wasn't using it.

So I'm still running on computer that's getting a little long in the tooth.

3770k @ 4.4ghz
16gb sys ram
980ti

I'm still on 1080p monitors so the system is still managing decent frames but I want to move up to 4k.

Should I a new gpu first or start a new system to avoid any bottleneck to the gpu?

It was obviously doing something - allocating memory. But he means it wasn't doing anything he asked it to, or anything useful. So basically it was being cancer: growing, taking up increasing amounts of space, and not helping the user in any way.

I should probably clarify, I'm not going to be using the backup drive to store anything crucial, like work data or anything like that. I'm going to be using it for backing up stuff like music, movies and games.

Attached: external-hard-drive1-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 189K)

Where's that repository?

GPU first. But best to wait a while longer to see just how good the RTX 2080ti is, and whether AMD has an answer for it.

pape?

You clearly do not understand how ram works.
Why buy so much ram if you DONT FUCKING INTEND ON USING IT?
Do you know the complex math behind ram?
DO you know the policies in which a program preallocates ram?
YOU DONT

Fucking read it
linuxatemyram.com

Attached: caching.png (642x410, 7K)

Just buy a 4K monitor, your computer is fine.

don't know shit about watches
redpill me on the best jap ones, in particular the orient sun and moon 3

Attached: AK00004B-2.jpg (450x600, 137K)

I buy RAM because I intend on using it. Not because I intend shitty programs that don't help me to use it and then thrash my disk as they fight with my programs for that memory.

dont know man. took the image from online. try searching manjaro kde wallpapers. you'll get similar ones.

I bought more ram cuz I hated looking at the unpopulated dimm slots on my motherboard

And 600mb certainly wont do that.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-27 Help Linux ate my RAM .png (2007x3326, 299K)

danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2739115

I suspect my PSU or MOBO isn't supplying enough power to all my components as I get hardware disconnects often, or in the case of my Wifi Adapter the speed slows down to near nothing.

Is there a way to test both of them to make sure they're working fine without taking apart my PC?

Why did my Jow Forums X captcha just start making me copy and paste the captcha key?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-26_21-05-15.png (400x675, 42K)

I have some flac files but they didn't come with scans. Is there a way to find out the CD's catalog number from them? The only thing I CUETools tells me is if they're accurately ripped or not (which in this case they are)

I have the CUE file for them, there's a field for disk ID, but I can't see to find the catalog number from it.

Is there a way to find the catalog number for the CD?

Attached: Back to Mono Avatar.png (426x426, 139K)

Normally that happens when JavaScript is turned off. Are you running NoScript or something?

Nope, I'm using Qutebrowser and Jow Forums X is the only addon/userscript I have. JavaScript is enabled in the browser settings.

I installed Qutebrowser to test it, I'm a stranger in a strange land with it. No clue how to install Jow Forums x

user, just to clarify. I was thinking on getting this "USB to SATA" cable/adapter.
But from this pic, I can only a single SATA port, without the second, larger port where you connect it to the power supply. And in place of it, the 20-24? pin power port. Does this mean I need to buy another cable to power the internal HDD?
My old internal doesn't boot in my new rig and wanted to try it on my laptop.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 300 × 300 pixels).jpg (300x300, 9K)

Anyone on this??

Download the userscript from here (right click on "click here to install Jow Forums X" then press save link):
Jow Forums-x.net/
Then put it in ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/greasemonkey/

Anything I can do to reduce slowdown on Elementary OS?

>I can only a single SATA port, without the second, larger port where you connect it to the power supply.
both of those are jutting out the side
i'm not sure why there is a SATA port ontop
also keep in mind that that usb powered hard drive interfaces can only power 2.5 inch drives before needing an external power adapter (barrel jack) plugged into the device, which they may or may not have support for
3.5 inch drives cannot be powered by usb supplied power

What do you guys suggest for a good wireless mouse for work/gaming? Preferably cheap (

This is probably better for /pcbg/ but that thread is dead.

pcbg suggests that one stay away from "cheap" GPU lines like MSI-Armor and Gigabyte Windforce. Fair enough. But what are some good GPU lines that are worth focusing on?

If it matters, I'm looking at the RX 580.

It's hard to go wrong with Logitech. I've used their mice and keyboards for years and never had a problem. If you want a fancy schmancy gaming mouse with lots of extra buttons, you can get the G602 (pic related) for $40.

Attached: G602_Wireless_Gaming_Mouse_2.jpg (700x431, 33K)