/spg/ - Smartphone General

Nokia Lumia Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: nokia-lumia-1020-imagem-oficial.jpg (2000x1221, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-6A-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-MTK-Helio-A22-Quad-Core-5/32905734873.html?spm=a2g01.11838003.wjkkxf571qzn0ae.1.4cc8ccfaLACppc&gps-id=5666379&scm=1007.17919.99254.0&scm_id=1007.17919.99254.0&scm-url=1007.17919.99254.0&pvid=c8b26c46-fca5-4ab5-9f4f-e390cd52034c
androidauthority.com/huawei-p20-pro-lumia-1020-successor-854773/
nokiamob.net/2018/08/26/hmd-global-maker-of-nokia-phones-now-owns-the-pureview-trademark/
techcrunch.com/2014/05/09/ari-partinen-joins-apple/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

EU Taxes scamming us out of a cheap phone yet again, going to try and get it imported from China instead.

so, do you guys think the Pocophone will still be worth it if it's more than 300€ but less than 400€? Are there better options for the same price?

Most retailers are listing it at 380€, it's worth it I'd say but fuck that is scummy.

Unless it enters Mi8 price range, yes.

BlackBerry was (is) better

This. The 8 was the base model last year, this year the base will be an SE 2 successor, then there will be an iPhone 9, and iPhone 11. Probably the 6.5" monster will be an 11S.

yeah, fuck Europe and its fucking "tax"

why did Xioami Pocophone F1 copy the Elephone P8000 body.

Howdy cowboys, my last phone just died an huawei y6 ii , had it with me for a while but one thing that really busted my balls was the UI they had. I didnt like it at all.

Anyway it's time for me to get something new , something fresh , budget is 250€ country Portugal going to be using Lyca / MEO as my main 2 carriers.

Now on to the features I NEED double sim and a screen that's at least 6''. 3.5mm jack I'd like to have some decent speakers on the phone and a good / great camera too.

That's pretty much it , if anyone could give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it

Attached: 1473711891294.jpg (1279x960, 162K)

Is it bad to keep my smartphone charging even when they're 100% when I'm at home and not using them?

Even at 400€ it'll still be the cheapest SD845 phone, and 120€ cheaper than OP6 which is the main competitor of the phone.

>do you guys think the Pocophone will still be worth it if it's more than 300€ but less than 400€?
No

Redmi Note 5. If you want an even bigger phone then Mi Max 3.

If I buy Mi A2 (comes with Android One) will I get the Android Pie's new features?

A bit lost on these different versions

No, the phone's still on Android Oreo. It'll get updated to Android Pie later in the year.

Ok, thanks.

One more question, should I expect to get the updates of more Android versions to come?

Seconding user's Xiaomi rec, but if you decide to get those you'll most likely hate the UI as well, so be prepared for applying for a bootloader unlock and then flashing a custom ROM.

this is actually a nightmare.
to flash a custom ROM i need to flash a custom recovery.
to flash a custom recovery i need to root my device.
to root my device i need to downgrade from marshmallow, which besides being a pain will wipe my phone.
what even is this. this is not okay.

It's going to be roman numerals for the highest end model. XI will be next. The regular iphones will be the iPhone 9, iPhone 9S, and iPhone 9S+.

Android One phones are guaranteed two major Android version updates, so the A2 that launched with Oreo will get Android Pie this year, and Android Q next year. You'll also get security updates for three years.

Thanks so much mate

yes. it stresses out the battery. top it up in bursts and try to keep it between 20 and 80%

Please respond

So wtf is gcam and why is it being pushed so hard here?

they say that, however if the phone doesn't support the LTE bands used by the carrier, it won't work
it MIGHT work on HSPA, but it WON'T work on LTE
call them back and ask what exact LTE and 3G(HSPA) bands your SIM uses, then go on Kimovil and look up the Poco F1 and compare the bands the phone uses against what Tracfone uses and I guarantee I'm right

it's a Google Camera app that takes advantage of Snapdragon phones that can enable the Camera2api using their Digital Image Processor offered starting in Android Nougat
makes the cameras work even better than they're supposed to

Thank you user who posted about that. I've been looking at getting a new phone and the X4 was one of the ones I was looking at so I jumped on that deal.

Should I pre-order Redmi 6A ?

aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-6A-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-MTK-Helio-A22-Quad-Core-5/32905734873.html?spm=a2g01.11838003.wjkkxf571qzn0ae.1.4cc8ccfaLACppc&gps-id=5666379&scm=1007.17919.99254.0&scm_id=1007.17919.99254.0&scm-url=1007.17919.99254.0&pvid=c8b26c46-fca5-4ab5-9f4f-e390cd52034c

No

aaaaugh fucking, i can't do it.
how the fuck do i downgrade a d855 from marshmallow!? i can't find a single working guide that doesn't include installing suspicious software.

Are you actually sure you need to root? With most Android phones all you need to install a custom recovery is to have an unlocked bootloader, root is completely optional.

You don't need root to flash a recovery

I'm not that user but I'm literally retarded, like actually I'm very fucking stupid irl and can't understand any fucking guides I've attempted to google for my phone. I just want 7.1 on my old S3

>S3
What variant is it?

Looking for a rec on a cheap phone in Canada with the following qualities:

Android One or very similar
NFC
Headphone jack

i747m

Nokia 6.1

Where are the engineers that made the lumia 1020 working now? I want a successor.

My mother's smartphone died and she needs a new one.
She wants to make "good" pictures, the phone shouldn't be (too) big, has a jack and a decent battery life. She only uses apps like youtube, whatsapp, radio, some local news
Price around 100-300 euros. What would you recommend me to buy her that would last the next 2-5 years

I fucking miss my Lumia, I loved Windows Phone.

Anyways, what's people's opinions on the Xperia XA2 Plus? I like Sony phones and am looking for a new midtier phone

Working for Huawei, believe it or not:
>The Chinese colossusopened an R&D facilityin Finland in 2016 devoted to photography, among other areas. AsPhoneArenainitially pointed out,severalpeopleworkingfor Huawei have their roots either at Nokia or specifically working on the Lumia 1020. Perhaps the most important Nokia person at Huawei is former Nokia and Microsoft imaging head Eero Salmelin, who serves as the director of imaging and video technology at the Chinese brand.
androidauthority.com/huawei-p20-pro-lumia-1020-successor-854773/

HMD Global recently purchased the PureView trademark, so we might see it in Nokia phones again:
nokiamob.net/2018/08/26/hmd-global-maker-of-nokia-phones-now-owns-the-pureview-trademark/
>Keep in mind, Nokia never sold any of its tech to Microsoft, including PureView, and just licensed the tech for 10 years. HMD getting the hold back on the trademark would suggest that HMD will/could license Nokia’s camera tech behind the trademark. We recently heard some speculation that HMDcould use Light’s penta-lens camera setupon its mobile devices, and maybe the PureView brand will debut with that penta-lens device.

iPhone SE or one of the Android One phones such as Mi A2 Lite or Nokia 6.1.

This guy (Lumia Photography Lead) went to Apple
techcrunch.com/2014/05/09/ari-partinen-joins-apple/

Is the OnePlus 3 camera supposed to be this bad? I don't know why it looks so low quality even on Open Camera and Google cam.

This one I bought had a refurbished camera, but wouldn't that still be the same quality as the original cam?

Attached: 1526100797302.jpg (2610x4640, 1.49M)

Is it worth it to get an S8 Exynos variant over oneplus 5T, nokia 8, XZ1? It's much cheaper than the sd835 phones listed from where I live (PH), but I'm not sure about Exynos' performance as I'm pretty much a smartphone newbie. Ever only owned hand me down phones so I'm really looking to get my own one.

Is there a phone thats basically redmeme note 5 with usb-c and nfc? or am I going to have to pay more and get the mix 2 or something.

you're going to have to get a Mi Mix

wtf is wrong with you?

get a sony z5

?

get the xz premium. headphone jack, 835, better build quality than an xz1, and cheaper than an s8
the s8, exynos or not, is fucking laggy next to an xz premium. sony has a very clean rom

Wait for Pocophone

is the Librem 5 actually going to happen or should I just say fuck freedom and buy a Galaxy Note9?

They're not over their timeline yet, there's still hope

Attached: purism-librem-5-phone-planner.png (800x489, 64K)

Gonna get the Nokia 8 for 320 tomorrow, not getting the Poco cuz of plastic build and MIUI, don't wanna flash roms.

Had Nokia 8 refurbished but screen peeled off a bit. Hope this won't happen now as I loved the device

I was actually considering the premium, but I've read stuff online about buggy wifi and dropped inputs. (Screen suddenly not responding to touches, etc.) It's about 80 USD more expensive than the S8 here, but I can go for it if those issues are resolved.

Looking for a cheap chink flagship undercutting phone with a good rom community and a mircoSD card slot. I'm coming from an OP 5 so I'd rather not give up the speed. P10 Plus looked like one of the very few options out there but I'm hoping some one here can deliver an enlightenment moment.

Attached: sips1.jpg (750x843, 62K)

My Essential PH-1 on Android 9 is unironically the best phone I have ever owned.

The enlightening moment is when you look up Poco F1. The community support will be massive once it's out.

The entire population of India will be behind it

>Apple removes headphone jack
Oh okay I'll stick with Android
>Android removes headphone jack
Oh okay I'll just get an adapter

>Apple puts in a screen top notch
>Android gets a notch
>Oh okay I guess it is fine.

>Apple doesn't have wireless charging
>Apple adds wireless charging
Okay good they got with the times

>Apple removes finger reader and goes full face recognition
>Android removes finger reader and goes facial recognition.

Why would anyone go Android if all they do is follow Apple most of the time?

Attached: EB0A9EEE-0421-425F-BF6B-256BD53B3B98.jpg (629x479, 41K)

What's with the fingerprint scanning/face scanner/iris scanner meme? All it does is add you to the interpol database.

it's a bit sad. Copying the things Apple does wrong without copying the things they do right.

>>Android removes finger reader and goes facial recognition.
?????????

>Why would anyone go Android if all they do is follow Apple most of
because custom roms exist

We have a list of recommended phones from $100, $120, up to $200?

Attached: 1501718963505.jpg (736x1139, 108K)

Guize, I'm considering a motorola G5S (3GB of RAM / 32GB of storage) for $170
Is this a good deal or am I getting ripped off?

Redmi note 5

If you're in the US Newegg has the Moto X4 on sale right now for $200.

The poco f1 has a plastic frame, will that make a difference?

unfortunately I'm not in the US.

Then you shouldn't get the moto, you can look into the mi a1 if your budget is strictly below 170$

huawei honor 7x >>>>> rest

A quick look on amazon and I see the Mi A1 at $260 converted from local currency

give me a reason not to buy the nokia 1
coming from a galaxy s2 it pretty much seems like I'm buying a software upgrade (4.1 to 8.1), network upgrade (3G to 4G) and bigger battery
please do not suggest anything wider than 70mm I'm interested in a phone not a bloody phablet nor anything more expensive than $400 or any bullshit with a glass back that bullshit is blatantly anti-consumer

Attached: DiYwZdGW0AEb2kf.jpg (900x1200, 401K)

Get it from China

You should care only if you play weeb games, if you do then get a Snapdragon phone

For /spg/ to agree on a phone it has to meet all these criteria

>Have a microSD card slot
>USB-C
>Headphone Jack
>Unlocked bootloader
>Stock or close to stock android
>No notch

This instantly eliminates Samsung (Touchwiz), Nokia and Huawei (Bootloaders), Apple, HTC and Sony (Headphone jacks), Google (MicroSD), which basically leaves OnePlus, Xiaomi, LG (Itself excluded because of bootloops), Lenovo/Motorola, and Blackberries. Everything else like Blue and ZTE are pieces of shit

Don't forget no spyware

I thought the moto G was Jow Forums's official phone. How many years do I have to catch up?

literally every phone is spyware

We don't give a fuck about meme usb-c though.

and how right is /spg/ in it's recommendations?

You could get the 3 or 5 if you're set on getting Nokia, they also fit your criteria.

Exactly

QuickCharge > USB-C, always

I do fiddle with some weeb games. Anything you'd recommend? No xiaomi please.

Probably anything with a 660 chipset is fine if you want something mid range and inexpensive that isn't xiaomi, maybe wait a bit for someone else to have a better suggestion, or browse around places like gsmarena.

Bought a huawei nova 3i lads
Do i like it?

I'm looking for something a bit powerful to run on high settings so I'm currently checking out 835 devices. How's the Nokia 8 for weeb games? I remember one user here buying a P20 Pro and playing Bang Dream. Doesn't it have the same issue with S8's Exynos?

Nokia 8 is a good phone, it just lack an unlocked boot loader

I never let my phone get above 80
I pretty much keep it in the 45-70 range all the time
Is this good or bad

Getting a free phone I can throw around and not have to worry about leaving it on my desk at work.

Which one of this 4 free phones (this are the only 4 choices) would you guys recommend for just light usage like web browsing, gps, netflix / youtube with no gaming.

A better camera would be a plus but I imagine that this cheap phones would not have one worth using.

LG Aristo 2 Plus
Samsung J3 Prime
Moto e5 play
TMobile revvl

Attached: t-mobile-revvl-1.jpg (600x579, 37K)

Any idea on its touch responsiveness? I want to try playing Bang Dream and SS when I get a new phone, so the touch sensitivity is a big deal for the rhythm aspect of the games. As for the boot loader, I'm fine with it. I'm too stupid for custom roms anyway.

i'm not sure of anything, i'm just reading from TWRP's website:
>Note, you must be rooted and vulnerable to BUMP to use TWRP on this device.

if there's an alternative way i'd very much so love to hear it, i've been looking for a while and i do not know enough for this.

>Samsung J3 Prime
I've got a J3 Luna Pro which appears to be the same thing just on a different carrier. I haven't had any problems with it. Because of it's low specs though I've found I quickly outgrew it and I'm already looking for something new and better.

>the 3 or 5
checked the speccs the 5 & 3 are skirting my self imposed width limit as is the 5.1 but the 3.1 looks pretty good thanks for the suggestion
now to decide if I want android go 1gb ram with removable battery or regular full fat android 2gb ram with sealed but slightly larger battery

only has a single speaker

Currently have a S7 Edge, contract has finished so option for free upgrade is open - think I'm paying overs though as I never really used any of the edges more premium features, and absolutely do not care about camera quality. Large screen is nice. Go for upgrade or downgrade contract and keep the S7? Only use aout 20% of my data plan, so could save about $60 p/month just changing plan. Going to just keep S7 and downgrade plan. Thanks for helping me come to conclusion.