XFCE4 can't stop screen tearing

Fedora 29 is branched (not released) and it includes the newer XFCE4 4.13 which is pretty far along compared to the older 4.12 that's included in FC 28, Ubuntu and all the distributions. XFCE story is that the Window Manager has been partly written in order to properly support vsync and fix the gigantic screen tearing problem everyone who's ever tried XFCE is so familiar with.

I've been running with XFWMs compositor off and using compton for compositing and had a tear-free perfect setup for a long time. I just tested the new XFWM 4.13 for a while with no compton and XFWMs own bult-in compositor and I am such disappointed. IT STILL HAS MASSIVE SCREEN TEARING. THEY HAVEN'T FIXED IT. THIS IS A TOTAL SCANDAL!!!

Why is this so hard for the XFCE4 developers? This really doesn't require "freesync" or "gsync" or special GPUs or monitors or nothing. Video playback is perfect on both my Intel iGPU-powered laptop and my AMD desktop and HTPC with XFWM+compton. kwin is also fine. That they still can't get this right with XFWMs built-in compositor is a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. I almost understand why wintoddlers prefer to use the wintendo.

Attached: 1200px-Xfce_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 331K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/
github.com/chjj/compton/issues/494
pcsuggest.com/fix-linux-screen-tearing/
youtube.com/watch?v=0RvIbVmCOxg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why is this so hard...
Then submit a pull request with your fix
You do know how to fix it right?
Since it must be so easy.

Option "TearFree" "On"

wow, so hard

You enabled the vsync option in the compositor settings right?

>You do know how to fix it right?
While I understand your request to submit a lot of code to XFWM there is another easy fix that takes less of my time: Disable XFWM 4.13's compositor and use compton - like I've done for years. This works fine, but I am very disappointed that I still need to use it instead of just running xfwm and be done.

Looks like a X configuration option, which GPUs - if any - does this actually make XFWM tearfree on?

Attached: screenfetch-fc29.jpg (1357x630, 211K)

Anything without Wayland is horrible. It either tears or just isn't smooth. Regardless of what you do.

Why the fuck do you use a gay-ass DE instead of a tiling WM? Like, who cares about this little kid bullshit? Graphics are dumb and faggy.

>have nvidia gpu
>can't use Wayland
>screen tearing
>turn on ForceFullCompositionPipeline
>horrible performance
>fuck Linux

>the vsync option in the compositor settings
There is no such setting anymore. See my OP post, I'm currently (ab)using xfwm4-4.13.1 on newly branched Fedora 29. If I understand correctly it's always on for everyone so there's no longer a setting for it. I do know what setting you are talking about from earlier version, though.

Attached: xfwm413-settings.png (1026x1059, 148K)

you don't have to be a five year-old forever, arch-kun

Attached: 1513892352682.gif (512x512, 73K)

>Fedora 29
Slightly related, turns out using GIMP in Fedora 29 has some next-level difficulty.

Attached: gimp-the-next-level.jpg (3269x1605, 374K)

such user-friendly

Attached: gimp-toolbox.jpg (424x393, 23K)

I run NetBSD. Children use DEs.

nvidia doesn't have this problem

Attached: force full composition pipeline.png (1409x987, 1.33M)

Sad then :/ I guess i will keep using compton 4 years from now when I update my system. Have you tried the free and proprietary drivers?

Funny. I had tearing issues with Nvidia all the time on both open and proprietary. ForceCompositionPipeline did work, but it sometimes broke and had to be re enabled. After switching to AMD, I haven't had a single tearing problem, it just werks™.

>proprietary
eeew no. And I don't want to.

Nice

Attached: adorable-taeyeon.jpg (800x1200, 472K)

Faithful XFCE user. Never had screen tearing. Sucks to be you.

AMD drivers have this option, don't know about Intel/NVIDIA

>eeew no. And I don't want to.
Understandable. AMD drivers are mostly free software aren't they? It's just the firmware that is proprietary.

Install Windows 10 RIGHT NOW

300MB of information about this post have been sent to the Microsoft™ Cloud™ in order to improve your experience. You cannot review what has been sent. You cannot opt out of this feature.

Attached: credit card info.gif (740x354, 570K)

What is compton?

A compositor for GNU/Linux systems.

Sounds like it's worth trying this Option "TearFree" "On" and see how that works with XFWM 4.13 when I reboot later. Linus just tagged 4.19rc1 git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/ so I'm gonna switch to that once it's done compiling.

no

It's a now bit old compositor for window managers that either don't have built-in compositing or handles compositing badly. A lot of XFCE users - including myself - run it's XFWM window manager with compositing turned off and use compton on top of it so it handles the compositing and buffering and optionally vsync depending on back-end. If you use backend = "glx"; and glx-swap-method = "3"; then it's fine to use vsync = "none"; and leave it up to the driver (on both AMD and Intel). Anyway, it's something you really need to have a smooth XFCE4 experience. I was hoping this would no longer be the case in the future - but it appears that was too much to hope for.

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

XFCE is a outdated gtk shit

tried this on my gpu AND my cpu's file. still massive tearing

this was easy enough to fix by going to edit, preferences and changing theme and setting icon theme to "Legacy". No idea if I'm missing some package or what the problem was. Didn't have this problem in Fedora 28.

Attached: gimp-fixed.png (292x1221, 150K)

i don't know why this piece of shit gets so much praise, it's literally the only DE these days that screen tears like a motherfucker out of the box (maybe LXDE too, but it's ded)

how do I reply with code?

{code}testing{/code}
```testing```

def imanidiot():
pass

>off and using compton for compositing and had a tear-free perfect setup for a long time. I just tested the new XFWM 4.13 for a while with no compton and XFWMs own bult-in compositor and I am such disappointed. IT STILL HAS MASSIVE SCREEN TEARING. THEY HAVEN'T FIXED IT. THIS IS A TOTAL SCANDAL!!!
>
>Why is this so hard for the XFCE4 developers? This
Compton is great BUT the developer has abandoned it and right now there's a huge bug that causes the image to freeze randomly during video playback when using a video playback program like MPV (i.e. not an in browser player). There's an open issue on the github page and because of the way the error manifests it can be very easy to miss if you're watching animated stuff, especially anime (but once you notice it you'll see it all the time).

go back to wherever you came from, stupid faggot.

Here's the git issue
github.com/chjj/compton/issues/494
The "solution" is to stop compton while you're watching video in a media player and start it back up when you're done.

>XFCE4 can't stop screen tearing
no shit. it's fucking abandonware at this point.

just install cinnamon and be done with it. it's superior in every which way possible.

Use proprietary drivers. Don't use Wayland (yet). Don't turn on ForceFullCompositionPipeline. Use Compton but be aware of this recent bug or alternatively use another window manager with a compositor that doesn't tear (Plasma's compositor used to be pretty good, Compiz too but I'm not sure that's even around anymore).
Right now the siutation is weird because X is on the way out and it's not really worth the effort to build a new compositor until things are settled on Wayland. Yet at the same time the transition to Wayland is taking a long time so everyone is kind of stuck in limbo for the time being. Also, things were fine with Compton up until recently so no one really saw a problem with the state of things until now.

This is the reality of Linux.

If I'm leaving XFCE I'd rather it be for something written in QT rather than more GTK bullshit.

wat

kys you blogposting faggot

>my cpu's file
what did he mean by this

what is screen tearing
i have run xfce for a decade, never seen it
ignore this microshill marketing idiocy

It's indeed "wow so hard" because it doesn't work 75% of the time.

Intel do

>worryin about screen tearing

bahahahah

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.19.29 AM.png (2880x1800, 879K)

This. Only complete brainlets can't enable tearfree.

>microshill marketing idiocy
lol, really? the simple reason I'm aware of XFCE4's screen tearing and other issues is that I only use GNU/Linux myself, mostly Fedora and CentOS (servers) and Gentoo (specific servers). There's no point in lying to me claiming it's not a problem on both my desktop and laptop unless I run compton.

Just in case someone else who happens to run into this reads this, the cause of no icons in GIMP was no SVG icons being loaded at all because the package librsvg2 doesn't trigger
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-32 --update-cache
so the pixbuf cache don't include SVG. Running that command fixes it and all icons load fine in GIMP. Fixes some other missing tray icons too.

Attached: screenfetch-fc29-4.19.jpg (1384x630, 188K)

asking why something is hard doesn't imply that a solution is easy or that the person knows how to solve it.

>Why is this so hard for the XFCE4 developers?
it's a fair question to ask when you consider that it's the only major Linux desktop that still has a screen tearing problem. It's not an issue on KDE or GNOME or other OS like Windows and Mac for that matter.

Install KDE

children also brag about stupid l33tfag shit like what WM they use.

i swear this is a problem with recent fedora versions. I noticed it after 25 or so when they introduced wayland as default. I use i3 but have tested in gnome also with xorg, it's really easy to tear when scrolling in firefox, always seems to be a diagonal line, I have observed it on two reasonably powerful machines.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 58cafbc03908a.png (215x215, 78K)

test

just the inbuilt spyware and terrible scaling problems then..

ok l33t h4x0r

I'm trying Option "TearFree" "On" and it does seem to improve things a lot on the amdgpu driver. But this creates a new problem, xfwm has compositing turned on but xfce4-terminal insists that it's not on and I can't haz transparent background.

testing a bit more, it sort-of looks like xfwm4 isn't actually doing compositing, perhaps it's broken, wtf

Attached: xfwm-no-opacity-available-what-is-going-on.jpg (2560x1440, 414K)

>complaining about Windows scaling on an XFCE thread

Attached: 1509246898217.jpg (450x435, 28K)

>buggy as fuck
>forced to wait for Windows updates when you go to turn off your computer and gtfo
>fishing around for random executables on the internet whenever you want to install something
>winsxs folder keeps tens of gigabytes of copies of libraries that you don't even have software for anymore
>the absolute state of the windows registry
>the absolute state of windows services
>etc...
Literally the only thing good about Windows is Steam and that's because it's basically a Linux style package manager for video games.

yep, the config does write to
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml and set but it xfwm 4.13.1 doesn't actually do any compositing, it's not happening, I can't have this.

there should be a way to fix this, I must have the compositing. what do I do, back to compton?

Attached: twice-tv-melody-1-Sana-and-Mina.jpg (850x478, 110K)

>complete disappointment
>Massive tearing
Are you gnome shill of the shitposting sway dev?
XFCE works and it works great, providing lightweight and consistent user experience. Tearing is fixed either by an external compositor or (as in my case, because I don't need a compositor) by a TearFree option in the Xorg config.

Latest version of XFCE is not to remove tearing but to Port to the terrible GTK+3.

>buggy as fuck
Yeah, I do agree. Windows 10 is definitely nowhere near as polished as it should be. I will say though that most of the bugs that I've experienced are relatively minor and at the very worst have required a reboot.

>forced to wait for Windows updates when you go to turn off your computer and gtfo
>he didn't disable automatic updates
>he didn't defer updates
>he can't just hold the button

>fishing around for random executables on the internet whenever you want to install something
Huh? Google the software name, click "Download" link in Google (pic related), download and run the exe.

>winsxs folder keeps tens of gigabytes of copies of libraries that you don't even have software for anymore
Disk clean-up.

>the absolute state of the windows registry
>the absolute state of windows services
Feel free to elaborate.

Windows 10 has its fair share of problems (inconsistent design, UWP/W32 clusterfuck, microsoft pushing their own shit etc.), but all you've brought up are non-issues.

Attached: Capture.png (598x188, 14K)

>Are you gnome shill
No. I don't like GNOME. Last time I looked at it it appeared to be some kind of mobile phone GUI being forced upon desktop users. It's disgusting.

>XFCE works and it works great, providing lightweight and consistent user experience.
Yes.

>Tearing is fixed
No. It's not fixed.

>I don't need a compositor
Good for you because XFWM 4.13 doesn't have (a working) one as of the version I'm currently (ab)using.

Attached: 180121 모모랜드 낸시 연우 - 팬사인회 끝인사 투샷 (타임스퀘어) 직캠 fancam by (608x1080, 1.95M)

>No. It's not fixed.
Yes it is.
Both Intel and AMD have TearFree option that virtually eliminates the tearing.

>wayland
is also shit. None of the current wayland compositors can provide the same smooth experience as pure x11. The only bonus is that it doesn't tear. Just yesterday i tried myself on sway-wlroots because people say that it is quite stable nowadays. guess what? it isn't stable, it crashes when reloading the config if an output option is present. x11 windows have redraw issues everywhere. Kwin wayland has huge amount of missing effects and popops appear randomly all over the screen while being slower than the x11 counterpart. I don't even need to talk about gnome, do i?

please tell me about that magical wayland compositor that is smooth and does everything it should.

>Both Intel and AMD have TearFree option that virtually eliminates the tearing.
At the cost of performance, nice one. You know who doens't need to care about tearing? Every other compositor ever, without having to tank performance as well. Strange right?

>At the cost of performance, nice one.
I'd like to see your source and comparison with performance costs of compositors.
You know who doens't need to care about tearing? Every other compositor ever
Then use any other compositor. It's not some Wayland shit where you are forced to use one solution.
>without having to tank performance as well.
Once again, your sources, please.

pcsuggest.com/fix-linux-screen-tearing/

>>he can't just hold the button
Enjoy fucking your system files and hard drive journal, retard.
>Huh? Google the software name, click "Download" link in Google (pic related), download and run the exe.
RETARD, it's dumb habits like this that make Windows users so virus prone. There is absolutely no reason why this should be the goto way to install software in 2018. Every linux distro has managed countless giant repositories of software for decades (repos contain up to date, secure versions, of the most commonly used software).
>Disk clean-up.
Pretty sure that doesn't touch winsxs and you have to use dism.exe to clean it. Even then Linux just flat out doesn't do that shit and keeps at most one version of each library around. If some software is broken because of that the developer is notified and if the developer won't fix it someone will fork it and fix it (or it will just be considered abandonware and stop shipping in the repos because that's what's supposed to happen to abandonware).
>Feel free to elaborate.
Just every thing about them is insane. Software going behind your back and hiding all sorts of shit in the registry, a ton of unofficial unsupported mysterious configuration settings sitting in the registry, all of it unnavigable. The services are even worse with software constantly malware as services without any interaction from the user. Even worse services are grouped into processes so you can't even tell which is which from the task manager. Not to mention how poorly documented ALL of that shit is.

The issues I've brought up are the reason Windows users constantly complain about their systems getting slower over time and constantly end up getting fucked with malware and viruses. They are not 'non-issues'.

To add to this, if you want to update all of your software in Linux it's just one command. If you want to do it in Windows then you have to manually do
>Huh? Google the software name, click "Download" link in Google (pic related), download and run the exe.
for every piece of software, and you probably have to reboot between half of them.

>sources, please.
my dick.

>Enjoy fucking your system files and hard drive journal, retard.
Its not 2005 any more.
Also, don't conveniently ignore the fact that this would have been a non-issue if you just took 2 minutes when you installed it to change a few settings, like I said.

>RETARD, it's dumb habits like this that make Windows users so virus prone.
I agree to some extent, but that's completely unrelated to the point that you made about having to "fish around", which as I showed you is literally not the case. Don't move the goalpost, faggot.

>repos contain up to date
Literally not true and you know it. You have the option of:
- stable but outdated
- rolling but unstable
- trusting random ppa etc.

>Pretty sure that doesn't touch winsxs and you have to use dism.exe to clean it.
It does, but regardless, you've literally just stated yourself that it can be cleaned.
Also, this is obviously anecdotal, but I've literally never noticed it having a large filesize, and I use a small SSD as a boot drive.

>Software going behind your back and hiding all sorts of shit in the registry
Stop using shitty software.

>a ton of unofficial unsupported mysterious configuration settings sitting in the registry
Use GPedit then. The only time I've seen those recommended is to people with Home.

>with software constantly malware as services
What?

>services are grouped into processes so you can't even tell which is which from the task manager
There is literally a program called services that shows all the services. Not unless you mean something else.

>you probably have to reboot between half of them.
Stop talking out of your fucking ass. When I installed all my shit the only thing I needed to reboot for was GPU drivers, and even then it still worked just fine without doing it.

Thought so, mr. "Not a shill".

>I agree to some extent, but that's completely unrelated to the point that you made about having to "fish around", which as I showed you is literally not the case. Don't move the goalpost, faggot.
You are fishing around the internet. It's nothing compared to writing a short command that lists all the programs you want to install having it just werk.
>Literally not true and you know it. You have the option of:
>- stable but outdated
>- rolling but unstable
>- trusting random ppa etc.
That's what you get when you use a distro that tries to be "like Windows". Modern rolling release distros work like this
>Official rolling release repo
>Official beta repo for packages that might cause breakage
>Unofficial package scripts that let users trivially compile packages from source (git repos)
99% of the time a package in the official rolling release repo will be at most a few days old (popular packages often come out within hours of a new software release).
>It does, but regardless, you've literally just stated yourself that it can be cleaned.
Translation: Windows creates a problem that shouldn't exist and requires manual intervention to resolve on a regular basis.
>All that registry shit
Dumb problems that shouldn't exist.
>There is literally a program called services that shows all the services. Not unless you mean something else.
I mean that if there is a service misbehaving and eating up a ton of resources then it's a pain in the ass to investigate which service is doing that because the Task Manager groups several services into each process.
>Stop talking out of your fucking ass. When I installed all my shit the only thing I needed to reboot for was GPU drivers, and even then it still worked just fine without doing it.
lmao, I updated my entire operating system and all my software and drivers while writing this post.

>You are fishing around the internet.
The first link in Google is not fucking "fishing around".

>rolling release blah blah
Did you just read halfway down and then stop?
There is undoubtedly more stability problems with a rolling release distro, regardless of what you try to claim.

>manual intervention to resolve on a regular basis
Disk clean-up runs pretty frequently on its own.

>Dumb problems that shouldn't exist.
How is GPedit a problem?

>I mean that if there is a service misbehaving and eating up a ton of resources then it's a pain in the ass to investigate which service is doing that because the Task Manager groups several services into each process.
Fair enough, I do see what you mean, but this is hardly a common issue and if it does happen just looking up the process name and "high disk usage" or whatever will normally lead you to a solution.
Its never happened to me before though, but whatever.

>lmao, I updated my entire operating system and all my software and drivers while writing this post.
Your point is what exactly? The only software I have installed that actually updates on a regular basis is Firefox and it does it automatically in the background, not to mention that sometimes you don't want to update EVERYTHING.

stop with these long replies you autists

How dare someone have a conversation on an online forum.

the only thing that works for me are the forcecomposition options, but i had a weird problem with them. when i turned them it would lock up while logging in. i had to retard-rig everything. i turned the forcecomposition options off so it could fully log in, then i had to create a script to execute a few seconds after i log in to turn the forcecomposition options on. it's so fucking half assed but i dont know what else to do.

>The first link in Google is not fucking "fishing around".
Install on Linux: $ Install program.
Update on Linux: $ update all software
Install on Windows: Open browser, perform google search for program, click on link to download page, click on download link for latest version, maybe jump through more hoops, open downloaded file, go through tedious install wizard, reboot.
Update on Windows: Do all that bullshit again.
Imagine having to update 20 different programs. On Linux this is trivial, on Windows it's 'fishing around'.

>There is undoubtedly more stability problems with a rolling release distro
>more stability problems
>than windows
Don't make me laff. I've been using rolling release distros for over 10 years and have never encountered a problem. Whenever I hear other people running into problems it is because they actually did something they shouldn't (because they expected the system to be like Windows) and the frequent updates exposed it to breakage.
>How is GPedit a problem?
There are far simpler ways to accomplish everything the registry does.
>Your point is what exactly?
That it would take hours of tedium to do that on Windows.
>The only software I have installed that actually updates on a regular basis is Firefox and it does it automatically in the background,
Here is a case where Windows has actually taken a big global problem and distributed out to individual developers. Instead of solving the problem once with a sane package management system they're forcing developers to each reinvent the wheel.
>not to mention that sometimes you don't want to update EVERYTHING.
If you don't want to update something then you can exclude it, but this is rarely necessary.

>Open browser, perform google search for program, click on link to download page, click on download link for latest version, maybe jump through more hoops, open downloaded file, go through tedious install wizard, reboot.
Complete exaggeration. Was the last Windows version you used, XP? Name 3 software that match this.

>Do all that bullshit again.
At the very worst you'll get a direct link to the download page.

>I've been using rolling release distros for over 10 years and have never encountered a problem.
That's your argument? I could just say
>I've been using Windows for over 10 years and have never encountered a problem
and it would hold equal weight.

>There are far simpler ways to accomplish everything the registry does.
Yeah, like GPedit, which is what I said you fucking retard.

Software having independent updater or whatever you're on about is not a problem in my view.

>Name 3 software that match this.
Literally anything that comes with a driver or important system service will require a reboot. GPU drivers are actually a more tedious install process than this. Then everything else, even if it doesn't require a reboot, still requires most of the other shit.

>At the very worst you'll get a direct link to the download page.
EVERY TIME, FOR EVERY PIECE OF SOFTWARE. I just updated around 300 packages, I can't even imagine that hell in Windows. Not to mention that in Windows you aren't even notified when an update is available for your software half the time.
Imagine, for a moment, a world where Steam does not have any package management features. In this world you have to manually go to the developer's homepage and download an installer for each game. Moreover when an update or patch comes out for each game you have to go to their site to download it (and you don't get notifications about that so you just have to get into the habit of checking for a new version every so often). Also, if there's a bug in the software then you have to go to the developers forums, make an account there, and discuss your problem there (do this for each game). That's basically the world you live in for everything outside of Steam.
>and it would hold equal weight.
My argument isn't that I haven't had any problems, it's that every problem I've heard others have has been caused by them misusing Linux due to shitty Windows habits.
>Software having independent updater or whatever you're on about is not a problem in my view.
How is it not a problem that developers have to waste time and resources maintaining and integrating all this extra functionality into their software just because they care about you having secure up to date software more than Microsoft does. All of those development hours and resources could be spent on other features you care about.

There is a better way, user.

>Literally anything that comes with a driver or important system service will require a reboot.
Yeah, you're really installing drivers on a regular basis aren't you. Fuck off.
Also, shitloads of drivers on Linux need a reboot as well.

>GPU drivers are actually a more tedious install process than this
Set up an Nvidia card the other day for someone, you just enter the card on the website, download it and run it, pick what components you want and then let it run.

>I just updated around 300 packages
C'mon, don't resort to this shit. You know full well that is a fucking retarded comparison.

>Not to mention that in Windows you aren't even notified when an update is available for your software half the time.
I don't, because I disabled checking, but everything I use has the option or is just literally never updated (7z).
Also, I said worse case scenario. Stop fucking exaggerating.

>misusing Linux
Elaborate. You're previous responses don't go into detail either. At the moment it just seems like a "y-you're using it wrong!" argument.

>updater blah blah
It isn't that much fucking work, and as I said, many just download and run an .exe. That takes fucking minutes at most to implement.

Attached: f_off.jpg (600x600, 27K)

>Windows 10 has its fair share of problems (inconsistent design, UWP/W32 clusterfuck, microsoft pushing their own shit etc.)
Nice one retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=0RvIbVmCOxg
It's been on Xfce for years. Unless you move to Compton you'll get tearing.

Attached: Example of tearing.png (1636x998, 37K)

>Xorg config
Excellent user friendly option! A user shouldn't go through config files just to disable tearing, retard. It should be in compositor options.

>At the cost of performance
All vsyinc options reduce performance, even windows' aero.

It "doesn't" because it has a compositor with vsyinc that can't be turned off. In w8.1 and 7 Aero was in charge of vsync, turn aero off and vsync is off too. In 10 it's enabled by default and afaik can't be removed.
You could achieve the same by shipping every distro with Compton.

Tearfree would remove tearing completely. You did something wrong.

Not them but it didn't fix the problem entirely for me, I had to "force v-sync" or something along those lines in the window manager settings.

>Yeah, you're really installing drivers on a regular basis aren't you. Fuck off.
I get new GPU driver versions on a fairly regular basis on Linux. I can't imagine having to go through that hassle on Windows. You're probably running on an outdated GPU driver right now, lmao.

>Also, shitloads of drivers on Linux need a reboot as well.
No they don't. In Linux the old driver continues working like normal. If you want to switch to the new one you just installed then you just reload it (rmmod and modprobe). If you update the Kernel then the system will continue running off the old one like regular until you reboot BUT it is possible to live patch the running kernel and eliminate rebooting altogether (good for situations where uptime is a concern).
>Set up an Nvidia card the other day for someone, you just enter the card on the website, download it and run it, pick what components you want and then let it run.
Extra dumb steps for what is literally a simple one liner on any Linux distro. I bet you don't even know the exact difference between the clean install option it gives you and the regular option. There are also special apps analogous to ccleaner just to clean up leftover garbage from old driver installs and facilitate clean installs on Windows. I'm not saying they're necessary but do you even understand why they exist?
>is just literally never updated (7z).
>Local user gets totally fucked by 2 year old security flaw in popular archiving software that they never bothered to update.
You don't just update shit because of new features. You update it for security fixes.
>Elaborate. You're previous responses don't go into detail either. At the moment it just seems like a "y-you're using it wrong!" argument.
Lots of things.
>Only having a root account
>Changing permissions on system files
>Manually compiling and installing software via make, config, install and bypassing the package manager
>etc..
>takes fucking minutes at most.
Compare to seconds.

TearFree never did dick for me either back when I tried it.

Then you failed to enable it.

Oh wait, no I was thinking of a different option (I'm on Nvidia drivers). The Nvidia option I tried back in the day also was recommended in documentation but didn't work so I've been using Compton. I wouldn't be surprised if the TearFree option you're recommending this other user is just as finicky.

>You're probably running on an outdated GPU driver right now, lmao.
Sorry to disappoint you, but not. Updated at the start of this month, last time was back in June.

>If you want to switch to the new one you just installed then you just reload it (rmmod and modprobe).
You know full well that doesn't work all the time.

>Extra dumb steps for what is literally a simple one liner on any Linux distro.
Not really, it makes it very easy to chose what components to install on different machines depending on what they're going to be used for.

>I bet you don't even know the exact difference between the clean install option it gives you and the regular option.
Considering the fact it literally says what it does, yes, I do.

>I'm not saying they're necessary but do you even understand why they exist?
Depends what you're referring to.
"Muh registry cleaner" is literally just placebo garbage to siphon money from retards.
Additional uninstallers exist because the developers/company are faggots that don't want to make an uninstaller that actually removes it properly.

>Local user gets totally fucked by 2 year old security flaw in popular archiving software that they never bothered to update.
Just checked, running the latest version. Regardless, doesn't change the point that 7z very rarely updates.

>the rest
I've literally never seen anyone use a root account as their main account.
Yes, they shouldn't be doing that.
Yes, they also shouldn't be doing that but you have to understand that unless you are using something RR that is often necessary.

That TearFree Xorg option is for the free amdgpu and intel drivers only, nvidia probably has something similar but it would be named something different.

yeah I don't get why some claim that by magic they don't have horrible tearing in XFCE, it's hard to not notice and it's been a problem for years and years.

Honestly, though, I guess they could be working on it. When I wrote OP I hadn't realized that my XFWM 4.13 doesn't actually do compositing at all (!), turning it on does nothing. Perhaps it's broken or perhaps Fedora messed up when they compiled the package?

Using xubuntu 18.04, have the same problem. This wasn't a problem in 16.04, and things actually get better with compositing turned off entirely. Very annoying indeed, on Intel HD btw. To the brainlets saying "just turn it on lol", obviously this has been tried and it doesn't fix anything.

disable composition on the desktop and the tearing will go away

>You know full well that doesn't work all the time.
It does. Even for the GPU you just have to temporarily drop out of the window manager to reload it.
>Not really, it makes it very easy to chose what components to install on different machines depending on what they're going to be used for.
Why does it make sense to go through this entire process every time you need to update? On Linux those are just separate optional packages, that way it doesn't have to ask anything when updating.
>Additional uninstallers exist because the developers/company are faggots that don't want to make an uninstaller that actually removes it properly.
It'd be nice if there were a specialized piece of software that kept track of what's installed and what should be uninstalled, some sort of "package manager" or something.
>Just checked, running the latest version. Regardless, doesn't change the point that 7z very rarely updates.
True, and that's why it's a lousy situation to be in. The only way to know is to check -- something that your computer is far more well suited to doing.

>unless you are using something RR that is often necessary.
People who are new to Linux often times do it because they don't know any better and accidentally follow instructions aimed at package developers. It can entirely fuck the system in some cases.
>the rest
There's more
>mixing and matching stuff from different package managers (eg. installing some python packages with the distro package manager and some with pypi or whatever)
>Manually downloading missing library files and placing them into system directories (this is the recommended fix with missing .dll files on windows sometimes).
>Symlinking things that shouldn't be symlinked
>misusing xinitrc, bashrc, and other scripts
>weird workarounds to avoid referencing hard drives by UUID or network devices by Predictable Network Interface Name.
>Mixing and matching Java versions (some distros have ways to handle this)
>Weird/old Xorg config stuff
>etc.

>just have to temporarily drop out of the window manager to reload it
At that point it becomes a hassle though. I'd much rather just click restart. Takes literally Why does it make sense to go through this entire process every time you need to update?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

>It'd be nice if there were a specialized piece of software that kept track of what's installed and what should be uninstalled, some sort of "package manager" or something.
You say that but there has been multiple times when I've ran sudo apt purge and there is still shit left over.

>The only way to know is to check
Only applies to 7z actually, everything else has built in checkers.

>You say that but there has been multiple times when I've ran sudo apt purge and there is still shit left over.
Packages often have some designated configuration files. Because users will sometimes uninstall and later reinstall packages a package manager will by default leave those configuration files intact. When you do apt purge the idea is that those configuration files get deleted (though I don't regularly use apt so I could be off on some detail). THAT SAID, package managers as a rule only ever touch files stored in system directories (they don't touch stuff in home directories). Often a program will also create files inside the home directory of the user running said program (this way it can maintain separate settings and stuff for each user). These files must be manually deleted and it really really sucks (it's not actually that bad but it's one of those things that's poorly documented and everyone has just gotten used to so it's unlikely to change or get better, kind of like a mini-registry). Look around ~/.cache/ and ~/.config/ as well as any other hidden directories in your home folder.

So basically it has the same problem as Windows, just to a lesser extent.