I really, REALLY want migrate my desktop completely over to some version of GNU/Linux (probably either Kubuntu or Arch)...

I really, REALLY want migrate my desktop completely over to some version of GNU/Linux (probably either Kubuntu or Arch), because I fucking despise Windows and FOSS gets me hard. However I play lots of video games and can't currently justify the switch. I've seen the performance enhancements of WINE+DXVK and the new Steam Play with Proton has me hyped, but overall the performance hit when playing games through either of these is still too great in my opinion, especially because I play lots of older online games. How long do you think it will reasonably be before the parity between running games natively on Windows and through WINE+DXVK (mostly) disappears?

Attached: rms.jpg (2096x1700, 3.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=kzbGUDKCajk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some kids get homosexual urges that psychologists can't explain, you'll grow out of it eventually.

Grow the fuck up and stop playing games.

>t. autistic manchild

What do you faggots do for fun instead?

You could look into dual-booting. There's also virtualization, but it'd probably take more effort to set up than dual-booting, as well as a certain minimum level of hardware.

Programming

>gaymes are more important than freedom

Are you 6 years old?

>t. massive projection

This might sound pretty fucking wild but I actually go outside to camp, fish, and occasionally hunt. I go to the shooting range at least once a week, and I do a lot of programming. I'm also big on woodworking, and I like to refinish old well made furniture in my garage. Just got done with a solid maple courthouse chair that was made in 1938.

Video games are for losers who don't actually produce anything with their labor. They just piss it away on bing bing wahoo bullshit. And these same retards wonder why they're lonely and directionless.

Chad is not a person or a thing. Chad is a mindset. /v/irgins get out.

Attached: E7F4D349F58B49DFB2B7FA71EB61A522.png (255x139, 49K)

Honestly man gaming is fucking embarrassing

Find an actual hobby that will make you actual friends and provide you with actual happiness

Go kayaking, mountain climbing, biking, running, play a sport, learn to weld, woodwork, cook, literally anything other than honing useless antisocial behaviors

This.

Not everybody lives in a free country. I can't go outside without risking getting mugged or shot.
Or meeting armed groups hiding in the mountains.

Then it should be easy for you to get a gun, no? Stop letting faggots walk all over you.

Attached: 30abf0cf9f293d89f60e64674002529dcd3694cc1ff21eff6a232b902a9ebf77.png (492x578, 183K)

Fuck me I forgot a lot of good ones here

Anyway yeah
It's fucking absurd to me that people who aren't even in good physical shape yet think they have time to play video games

I do what I can to mitigate the damage from being a part of the botnet. I've disabled what spyware features I can on W10. Also, I use a VPN that I pay for with gift card codes (bought with cash in-person) and run uBlock Origin & uMatrix every time I access the internet. My dream is to seperate from Microshit entirely, but I just love muh vidya gaymes too much.

that's not me

>but overall the performance hit when playing games through either of these is still too great in my opinion, especially because I play lots of older online games.
What kind of older games are you playing where the performance hit is pertinent?

Unless you're also using an ancient GPU and struggling to get passing performance as-is, you're almost certainly going to be pushing enough frames in these games to where the hit isn't even noticeable.

Unless you live in Africa you can go out, even in countries like Brasil or India you can camp, just stay way from certain areas.

>kubuntu or arch
Just use xubuntu.
Arch is for redditors who jack off to their rice scrots while forsaking freedoms, and among the *buntus xubuntu is the most... 'independent'.

>it should be easy for you to get a gun
Not really, seeing as I'm not a criminal.

Lmfao do you grow all your food in your basement or something bro

Are you a greenhouse subsistence farmer out of necessity

Americans really can't look past their backyard

Not breaking the laws of an unjust society of criminals doesn't make you better than them. It just makes you a pushover.

God bless US. And I'm taller than my fences, so you're wrong.

The older online games I play are [spoiler]FFXIV & GW2[/spoiler].

My rig is pretty old, but not ancient:
- i5-2500k oc @ 4.5GHz
- GTX 670
- 8GB DDR3-1600

> at least I'm not a criminal
> t. Massive bitch

Just stop. Use xubuntu, and just let steam proton handle wine gaming. Lutris is good too. I tried proton today and was very impressed with how easy it was to use.
Xfce is the best de. KDE is good but kinda bloaty. Those are the best two. Gnome is a fucking joke. Welcome to Linux.
Just make the jump and dump the spynet OS.

Nigger these are literally designed to waste your time, what the actual fuck are you doing

video games can be a fun way to connect with people in a cooperative way. but i do agree many other productive things should come first. Personally I do not game because it is very boring to me

Attached: 1510073748739.jpg (620x809, 53K)

I don't really know how intensive those games are relative to your specs, but:

youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I&feature=youtu.be

In GTA V, as an example, Proton is typically around 20-30fps less than Windows in some scenes, and on par in others. So, if you were already pushing ~90fps in GTAV on Windows in this example, you'd be fine. You could also always lower your settings.

Although, do those games even use DX11 in the first place? DX9 performance has been quite good in Wine for a while now, I'd presume there'd be even less of a performance hit with that.

But user i do all that and i play gaymes? Why cant i do both?

Come on dude, be real

If your goal was actually to "connect with people in a cooperative way" video games are like option number one bajillion on the list, right behind volunteering at your state DOT

Why don't you try dual booting?

You sound autistic.

As for OP, just dual boot. I do it for the ten or so games I play that pretty much require Windows for either performance reasons or because WINE is inadequate.

Competitive Videos Games are a godtier past time.

Buy the dedicated computer for gaming, problem solved. That's what I did.

The performance hit shouldn't be your main concern. The ability for the translation layer to run the game stabily and without a lot of fiddling with different software versions and configurations should be your concern. If performance is truly the only disadvantage of switching to Linux only then it is worth it already to make the switch. Not having to put up with windows bullshit is well worth the lower frame rates or graphics setting.

> it's okay because I waste slightly less than 100% of my time

>probably either Kubuntu or Arch
Either just go with Kubuntu or install Antergos with KDE. Noobs trying to install Arch I'd the reason we have people screaming "Linux is only command line!1!!1!11!1!1!!!!!1!1!"

>The ability for the translation layer to run the game stabily
Not the OP, but it was shit and most likely still is.
>Not having to put up with windows bullshit is well worth the lower frame rates
Depends on a magnitude. If it's from, let's say, 60 to 40, it manageable.
30 to sub-20 - not so much.
Dual boot is the pain in the ass, so Or you can buy a console if you don't like Windows that much.

This.

>dual boot is a pain in the ass
No it's fucking not. It's literally a box you check in the installer.

It is, and I wasn't talking about the set up. This part is easy.
Constant switching is a royal pain in the ass, even if you have a reasonably fast machine.

The only time it's not massively over-gay is when you have separate drives for each installation, and even then it's still mid-level gay in a lot of ways

>especially because I play lots of older online games
But user, old games generally run just as good or better in wine. The only 2 games I still play (wc3 and wow vanilla private servers) actually run better for me in wine. It's the new shit that will give you headaches and suffer major performance loss.

Suckin dick, having sex with other men, frequenting bath houses, going to pride parades, the usual

Damn dude, you must watch a lot of Jordan Peterson videos on youtube. Cool story

>reddit spacing

use netbsd, openbsd, dragonflybsd, or illumos. anything else is trash

>learn to weld
This is the only non-embarrassing part of your post. The rest is so gay holy shit. I bet you fell for the programmer socks meme.

Why would you want to migrate to Arch if you're new to Linux? Don't get memed by Jow Forums

inb4 linux is a kernel

I think gaymers don't deserve FOSS.

Really old shit is only going to benefit from this. As MS stops caring about older version of DirectX, support from is only going to get better.

Jow Forums stop sucking cock and let the dude switch to linux

Arch is easy. Gitgud faggot

Why, though? Windows is objectively better for gaming.
OP should just buy the budget PC for gaming and switch to Linux for everything else.

Arch is useless. There's no reason to ever use Arch instead of Ubuntu (or Manjaro if you love Pacman more than apt)

>Using proprietary software just to feed gaming obsession

Unacceptable.

Why? It's not that different from any other hobby.
By that logic, you shouldn't use a car because there is proprietary software embedded in it.

Other hobbies don't require you to submit to a botnet. Go outside
>You shouldn't use a car because there is proprietary software embedded in it
Correct

>Correct
It's some form of extreme fundamentalism.
>require you to submit to a botnet
What's the problem with the botnet on your gaming machine?

He probably isn't
youtube.com/watch?v=kzbGUDKCajk

>fundamentalism
Stop being a retard, you don't have to look far to see why a botnet car with proprietary over-the-air updates is a bad idea. But I bet you bought into this self-driving meme

>What's the problem with the botnet on your gaming machine?
Avoiding botnets means you actually have to, you know, avoid botnets

>a botnet car with proprietary over-the-air updates is a bad idea
That's quite a leap. We were talking about the car with proprietary software embedded in it, which is virtually every car since 80-s(more or less).
I haven't mentioned anything about over-the-air updates and whatnot.
>Avoiding botnets means you actually have to, you know, avoid botnets
Why should I do it? Because you said so? I fail to see the problem with using Windows machine(or PS4 for that matter) for gaming.

>Kubuntu
neon

if you don't have amd
forget it

day dream about fucking your mom :^)

>trying this hard

Program. Do project euler. Study a lot of mathematics. Then after 8 ocklock I watch anime unitl 9:30 when I go to bed to wake up for those sweet, sweet 8am classes.

>t. gonna make it.

>manchild for not playing childrens' games
wew lad

Hit the gym, hang out with my gf or my friends

Chess

Where do you live?

>I bet you bought into this self-driving meme
I cant wait to not die in traffic accidents