Embedded Systems / Firmware

Are embedded systems jobs dead?

Does anyone on Jow Forums even do embedded anymore? I feel lonely

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (500x500, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.espruino.com/espruino-pico-pinned
github.com/cesanta/mjs
os.mbed.com/javascript-on-mbed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Are embedded systems jobs dead?
Yes, they are totally dead. Nobody put a chip in anything in the past five years.

With all these 32bit arm around, nobody needs those clever bitshift tricks anymore.
We are living the beginning of the era of embedded programming what javascript libraries frameworks were to the internet.

Depends on where you live, where I live there are at least 5 companies that employ embedded developers.

Automotive, Printers and other stuff

Do they mostly hire C programmers? Are there other technologies used nowadays?

Depends if you wanna work on display drivers for major players or if you wanna make chips work. It's extremely rare to find companies needing people to make a completely new product work. You'd have to be working for samsung to have regular income.

>Embedded
A world of pure cancer

yey fridge orders automatically more cinnamon beer and onions, toilet tweets everytime you take a dump and toaster burns picture of the day to your bread!

Attached: 309c261a.png (728x592, 22K)

Op, are you doing only firmware or PCB design also?

Dead? There's a lot of embedded development going on. It's just not all over stackoverflow like webdev.

You can't really put javascript on a Cortex M with 32K or RAM, even though it is a 32-bit CPU.

IoT bullshit =/= embedded.

>You can't really put javascript on a Cortex M with 32K or RAM, even though it is a 32-bit CPU.
Oh, so naive
shop.espruino.com/espruino-pico-pinned

Attached: 1521346586534.png (1024x576, 473K)

>You can't really put javascript on a Cortex M with 32K or RAM, even though it is a 32-bit CPU.
What I meant was the field of embedded programming is going to to through a period of diminishing quality due to increasing computing power. The same way javascript enabled all these "cs graduate" meme tier soibois to make a living copypasting inefficient code snippets from stackoverflow.

That's 96+384 KB though.

Is embedded so cancer as Jow Forums makes it look like?
I just finished my bachelor's degree in CS and I am trying to decide what masters degree do next.
The only two options I like are embedded systems and software security (formal analysis, abstract interpretation etc) and I can't really decide, but I always see Jow Forums shitting on embedded software

I, for one, welcome the death of 8-bit MCUs.
Arduino was a mistake

Embedded can range from hyper-cancer to comfy depending on what you do (unlike webdev, which is always cancer)

What's comfy-tier vs cancer-tier?

Comfy is making relatively small software in plain C with half-decent documentation and IDE, together with hardware guys who know what they're doing.

Cancer is supporting a 20-year-old project full of shit code in an arcane programming language with no documentation and half of the rare source comments being in German, with hardware full of problems and clients who reeeee at the smallest changes in operation. (Granted, I got paid a lot of money for that one)

github.com/cesanta/mjs (1kb RAM)
os.mbed.com/javascript-on-mbed/ (64kb RAM)

Actual jobs are dead,but you can still make some side money.I made about 10 projects on pic12f1822 for normies.

i've embedded my dick in your mom

I have a job offer from a company that does embedded with a 6 figure salary. Lots of shit like IOT are still relevant

>Bitshift not needed anymore

Proof? Clarification? bitshifting has always been a usefull tool and will not leave as long as there are mathematical equations that can make use of them.

That and you already use them when casting values around.

>together with hardware guys who know what they're doing.
I can't overstate this. The hardware guys competence can make your life very easy or a fucking hell.

For embedded systems, it's pretty much C and/or assembly. I'd imagine there are niche exceptions, but not generally.

How to get into embedded?
I mean I know that I have to at least know C or some shit, but what else? Can someone recommend some books? How do I start programming shit?

>a small subset of JS with no standard library, exceptions, etc.
>requires C code to be invoked and to do any kind of hardware interaction
>requires 50K of code space

I'm having a hard time thinking up just a single use case for this.

Attached: nigger shit.png (295x350, 32K)

It's mostly been outsourced to India/China/HK. There are some left in the US, but they are usually in giant defense companies, and they don't pay as much as more conventional types of software engineering (like web or apps) or at best will pay the same despite asking for way more in the way of qualifications.

I do. It pays pretty well.

Almost everything you need to know is in the datasheets.Pay special attention to the "instruction set summary" section.

>I'm having a hard time thinking up just a single use case for this.
scum garlicboys on kickstarter

Attached: syoboys.jpg (350x371, 21K)

>50 billions IoT devices in next couple of years
>neckbeards using newest hot node.js fad

pick one