/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: death by thinkpad.jpg (1000x1123, 434K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-4600U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3520M/2033vs890
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4600U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3520M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

will a lenovo webcam make my feminine dick look bigger?

Is the t520 the best choice for a budget laptop with a decent display?

Is this a good deal i5 4300m. $300 canadian

Attached: 20180827_100437.jpg (998x1252, 307K)

Which display is better TN or TFT?

yes

those things aren't comparable
TFT is just LCD, which can be TN/IPS/etc.
usually displays are just shitty TNs unless specified

Reposting since it was at the end of the last thread.

My x200s died for good. The hard drive is dead. The battery is shot. There is only one functioning usb port; the other is missing pins and is unrepairable. Is there another thinkpad like the x200? I was considering the x220 but it looks like Libreboot STILL is not ready for it yet.

>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Are we still pretending this isn't 90% of laptops on the market now?

Is IPS the good one?

yup

Is an x240 for 145 Eur worth it?

I'd say more or less yes assuming you are euro and you are SURE you want an X240 (cuz it's shit).
If SSD incl. then I'd say go for it.

90% have rollcage, spill resistant keyboards, trackpoints, removable batteries and there are tons of used ones in good shape on amazon?

Why do you say the X240 is shit.
I have an i7 one, stuck an SSD in it and it's pretty darn good for an ultraportable machine.

why x240 instead of x220/x230 tho?

Because ULV processor and because shitty trackpad. (I'm not a puritan about the keyboard, but I do require my three buttons on top of the trackpad). So yeah, I'd rather take X230 (last non-ULV X series), (for a smaller 100 EUR price) any day.

I will agree the trackpad is shit, but the ULV processor benches just as fast as the previous gen full power M series. Better battery life too because of it.

The x230 does have expresscard interface where the x240 doesn't.

>but the ULV processor benches just as fast as the previous gen full power M series
Source?

Only 80 points of difference per core here:

This source says single core on the 4600U is faster:

Personally, I'd prefer the processor that uses less power while having no perceptible difference in speed.
Not saying that the x230 probably is better overall if you don't use it with a mouse. The trackpad on the x240 is *bad*. Doesn't bother me since I almost always use it with a wireless mouse, but it has to be noted.

Just put a new trackpad in a T520 but it still does not work in windows 10, if its hardware its the ribbon cable or the socket, anybody know about this shit?

wow I'm retarded, here's the second source:
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4600U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3520M

using remote desktop so sometimes the clipboard fucks up.

How's the battery life like on an average thinkpad?

I currently have a retina mbp from 2015 which is perfectly fine for what I do, and the things that I value the most from it are the battery life, how portable (light) it is and also the screen, I can get 6-10h easy peasy depending on what I use it for.

Since the new ones are completely overpriced and basically dog shit, I consider this to be the last mac worth having, so I was considering getting a thinkpad once this one breaks or becomes otherwise unusable in a few years.

So yeah, how would a tp compare in those aspects?

The e7440 is the best business laptop in a post Thinkpad world. 2cm thick, fantastic display, non-chicklet backlit keyboard w/ volume buttons, trackpoint with scroll button (HPfags btfo) 2.5" drive, MSATA, two ram slots and plenty of ports. Got mine for only £150. The e7450 has an even better screen and can have an 840M but loses the 2.5" drive.

Attached: 1-E7440-overall.jpg (1512x1167, 381K)

Oh and forgot to mention, I usually use my desktop for most stuff, if I need to do some cpu intensive stuff or play games (rarely), but I travel a lot so I need a laptop that I can work on (dev)

Got a local sale for 137 GBP: "14", i5-4300U, RAM 4GB, SSD 128GB, 4 hours of battery life" is what the ad says, shall I pull the trigger?

X270 with the big battery add-on can last something like 13 hours.
Also quite portable. Don't know much about the screen though.

If you don't mind how thick and heavy it is then yeah probably.

So, those third party batteries won't explode, right? Got a t420 for 200 euro, works great but the battery is absolute garbage.
Li-ion batteries can't be imported into my country and only one seller on ebay does them locally.

The chink batteries usually aren't dangerous, they just might not have the lifespan that OEM ones would.

Like, after 100 charges it might only hold 80%, where the OEM one would be at 93%.

My T540P with 9 cell, with wi-fi/sound off, brightness 50%, just editing a document in Word, was estimating 18 hours battery life.

Just get another X200

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

I believe this is a trap free edition.

this

Average under moderate use. Say 4-6 hours. Don't listen to these memers telling you 18 hours hahaha. But the good news is you can buy another battery and swap it conveniently to effectively double battery life

dewd ur gittin a dill!

Hahaha, but 18 hours is what Windows is reporting. Maybe remove the shitty linux distro and use the proper power drivers.

Why the fuck does tlp show the cycle count on my X220, but on an X230 both the same battery and an original X230 battery show "(not supported)"? It's also using the exact same system (I moved the SSD from one to the other).

TRAPpad lmao

Pic related. Not 18 this time, but good enough.

Attached: 2018-08-27_17-33-38.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

the 1080p ips screen on my x270 has no noticeable glow. they seem to have fucked up when they assembled it though because i have 2 black bars on the left and top of the screen and some pixels seem to be behind the bezel on the opposite sides
another unrelated complain about the x270 are the plastic clips that hold the chassis together after the screws are removed. there are 5 very small tabs above the battery bay that broke after just disassembling once.

Is there any real reason not to buy A-series? I really want to push away from intel CPUs after the number of vulnerabilitues that have started popping up

>idling on the desktop
>probably has brightness all the way down
>probably just opened it out of sleep

*dab*

Nice yoga, i love my yoga >.< such a cute laptop

Attached: 929d5b6acf70392a9970d82d934da0ed.png (1008x1468, 523K)

So I discovered that it really helps to put the ribbon cable in the right way.

This.

>Don't listen to these memers telling you 18 hour
I didn't, my mbp reports like 24h if I turn everthing wireless off, close everything and blah blah

I mean, if we're going to count doing this shit as OK, might as well say that my mbp has been suspended for literally 2 months and when I opened the lid the day before I had to travel to set up my dev environment for current projects, the battery was still at like 50%, but I don't give a shit about that because it really does not matter.

What I care about is stuff like being able to be away from an outlet while being able to continue working.

That's the whole reason I got a mb in the first place, the battery life is just great.

What should I expect out of something like an x220 with 6 cells?

>My T540P with 9 cell, with wi-fi/sound off, brightness 50%, just editing a document in Word, was estimating 18 hours battery life.

You guys are fuckin' masters of deduction. I posted a ss corroborating exactly what I said and you tried to nitpick it like retards. I was editing a word document. It's not a document I'll share with you.

Why would you want to trade your rMBP for an x220? That'd be worse in every conceivable way.

>Why would you want to trade your rMBP for an x220? That'd be worse in every conceivable way.
What's compareble to that that?

I (obviously) don't care for removable batteries, removable CPUs, soldered RAM, etc. I just want a machine that I can slap loonix on and type my spaghetti code onto, with a decent screen and long enough battery that I'm not one of those autistic doods at the airport that has to be constantly tethered to the wall plug because their battery lasts for 15 minutes after one year of usage.

edgy photoshop brah

>What should I expect out of something like an x220 with 6 cells?
Age of battery matters a lot. I've got an old 6 cell that lasts about 1.5 hours.
Everything else I've got are 9 cells, one is mildly worn and lasts about 5 hours of normal use (screen at normal brightness, bunch of terminals open, qutebrowser with like 40 tabs, periodically compiling shit, sometimes playing smogon for like 20 minutes at a time, sometimes watching youtube videos with speakers on), another is basically brand new and goes for about 8 hours of the same.
Obviously longer if I turn the brightness down and avoid watching youtube or playing browser games it can last for longer, but I've never really had to try that. For a 6 cell, I'm guessing taking two thirds of that is probably a good enough estimate.

All I care about is the screen for drawing, I want to try it before going for the cintiq meme. Which version do I get.

Attached: 1532525540359.jpg (1128x984, 181K)

X220T/X230T

Don't listen to the other user, unless you explicitly want the T just get a normal X230 with an IPS. Better battery, hinge won't fucking fall off, etc.

I misunderstood the question, sorry.

Thanks

Its fine, thanks anyways

What store can I try out a memepad at? Im in the US

Will best buy have one?

Hey anons, how much can I add to the price of my T500 if I LibreBoot it before I sell it?

About $40 to $60 of added value since that's approximately how much the service goes for on ebay.

Hey I saw it first, you are not getting it Lithuanian nigger.

Swood. That's how much I bought the thing for

>Tried replacing Win7 with Debian on a working X230t.
>During instalation X230t decided to shut down, while the DE was being installed
>Now when I try to turn it on, it shows me Thinkpad logo, and turns off without reaching BIOS
What can I try to do to unfuck it, lads?

Help me anons :(

How much is budget for you. Budget for me is 300$

have a x230 and my system is telling me this. only port that doesnt work and i dont see any option for it in the bios.

Attached: 20180827_150207_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 2.3M)

Probably because the X230 hasn't fucking got a Thunderbolt port.

Attached: 1510885946659.png (446x422, 403K)

Fuck you cunt, my gf needs a lappy, but she's being a slow cunt so I guess I don't care

£250 is budget but I can stretch to £300

I want a Thinkpad :(

minidisplay then, whatever. its not recognized at all even on windows.

Those aren't even close to being the same thing. If MiniDP isn't working on any OS, it sounds like you have board level problems.

hmm.... fuck
everything else works but the mini.
i'll just have to try the displayport on the dock

What trannyboot models can be flashed easiest, ie without soldering?

Your port may be physically fucked up as well, couldn't hurt to inspect it visually.

looks fine but cleaning it isnt a bad idea.
also maybe the adapter i have is junk.

Provided you have a multimeter, find a ground pin and buzz out some of the pins while you try to output.

will the Nvidia Quadro P3200 allow me to run Battlefield V on at least medium settings when it comes out? google tells me very little on actual performance for vidya
I just want the P52 model so much. does anyone here have it?

You're going to find jack and shit about gaming generally because that's a professional GPU.

Need a strong backpack to carry my p50, eink notepad, headphones, portable dac/amplifier, Ti-85, fieldbooks

Waterproof and pads on the inside so it wont destroy all my shit when I accidentally bang it.

Thoughts?

I didn't expect to find much, but I at least expected someone on youtube or some forum to give something up about the performance on games they've tried.

I'm guessing it'll run decent.

P3200 performance wise looks like slightly slower 1070, pascal quadros generally perform roughly same as their gtx counterparts and that kind of power should be enough to play modern games, that's the best estimate I can give you.

I'm also guessing and hoping it will, but it's a pretty hefty investment if it turns out it can't run games for shit
alright, thanks

Only if you sound yourself with a trackpoint

What games do you all play on your think pads?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 27K)

That P3200 looks like a weird chip from a consumer graphics perspective, it has 192 bit bus and 6gb of vram which makes it similiar to 1060, but on the other hand it uses P104 chip which is used in 1070/1080 but has only 1792 cuda cores compared to 1920 of a 1070 or 2560 of 1080, I'm not really in market for quadros but it's just something to think about.

i found it. i thinks its just the fucking adapter.

hitman blood money and warband

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-27 16-02-11.png (1366x768, 680K)

Rimworld, every day.

bought this with full hd display.
T440s
Is the display good?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x900, 294K)

>ALPS touchpad

How do I use the trackball? It has no precision at all, other people like this or am i using it wrong?

get a thinkpad yoga 460 the old tablets aren't great for drawing on desu

Attached: 17a1d474cb9a5ba03ea45433eb657b24.jpg (900x1200, 718K)

thats pretty lewd

get that shit off my board faggot

Urban Terror

all are the same shit

kys dumb normalfag

Does replacing the HDD with SSD really make a difference?
Other than improving the boot time and speeding up things when using the SWAP.

Attached: 1515511929966.jpg (1024x576, 53K)

X60/T60 - terminal, super easy
X200/T400/T500 - external flashing with clip
X200s/X200t - external flashing with soldering