I really want to like this DE, but I really can't. I've tried again and again to use it, but every time it's trash

I really want to like this DE, but I really can't. I've tried again and again to use it, but every time it's trash.

The animations and the default theme make it look tacky, and all the themes you can download look worse in comparison.
It comes with bloat up the ass, without ever feeling like a consistent desktop environment like Gnome or Unity, or even LXDE/XFCE.
Its mascot was made by a furry.
It fucks up other DEs when installed or uninstalled. It will actively fuck up the theming of XFCE/MATE if left installed but unused.
Trinity fucked up my whole system, too, and it never worked more than twice.

Can somebody explain to me what the appeal of this f****ing DE is?
I feel like it just doesn't play nice unless you install it with Kubuntu and never move away from it.

Attached: kde-512.png (512x512, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neon.kde.org/download
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>install KDE after using windowmaker and Mate for so long
>genuinely impressed with the layout and customization options
>dual monitor wallpaper support
>excellent compositing
>can dress it up to use a CDE theme if I want
I am no longer using Mate after using KDE, this DE is super comfy.

is there a way to make the task switcher work with arrow keys instead of alt+tab?

I'm sure you could probably bind the task switch to use a different key combo instead. I might do the same because I was having alt+tab trouble when I play some games.

people with bad taste in design use it

neon.kde.org/download

>friendship with mate, ended
>now kde is my friend

yeah basically. Gentoo + KDE is the real path to enlightenment.

>It comes with bloat up the ass
Nonsense, it's very lightweight.

>what is Xfce

Like this? I tried alt+arrow and only arrow combs and it worked. Not my taste, through.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180827141017.png (1919x1079, 80K)

I'm using KDE on my desktop, where the resources are far less restricted. With that siad, Xfce is pretty good for my thinkpads.
That's probably as good as it's going to be, though I might use winkey + left/right instead to avoid alt, since a couple of games I played used alt for some reason.

tried this but it would switch just by pressing the arrow keys which is an unwanted behavior.

I like the grid switcher but since you can switch between application using alt + tab by default, even tho is a grid with multiple rows/cols you can't traverse it using the arrow kids which is dumb.

Besides that, i don't know if i am the only one experiencing this but, the little star button over the rectangle you draw is supposed to let you search, download and install additional task switchers, however, i can do all of those but for the life of me, i can't find how to activate them in the system once they are installing. Anyone else with this problem?

>The animations and the default theme make it look tacky,
Just disable them. I have to agree though that KDE has insane defaults.
>It comes with bloat up the ass, without ever feeling like a consistent desktop environment
I believe there's a minimal plasma package for Arch but I don't know about other distros. Also my KDE is configured in such way that pretty much all programs look and feel consistent with the DE. The Qt/GTK theming is done well to be fair.
>Its mascot was made by a furry
Ad hominem. Also who the fuck cares as long as the entire interface isn't a furryfest.
>It fucks up other DEs when installed or uninstalled. It will actively fuck up the theming of XFCE/MATE if left installed but unused
I've used XFCE alongside KDE for a while and I've never had any issues.
>I feel like it just doesn't play nice unless you install it with Kubuntu and never move away from it.
I do agree that KDE isn't the most stable DE out there despite all the improvements and it's usually hit or miss. I'm using it on Arch and I'm enjoying it so far.

>The animations and the default theme make it look tacky, and all the themes you can download look worse in comparison.
Yep. There is literally no way to make Plasma look descent. After jerking around with QtCurve, Kvantum, etc. and color schemes I went back to dark/light Breeze combo, at least this way the DE looks somewhat consistent.
>It comes with bloat up the ass
What do you mean? Are you one of those suckless fagots who consider features to be bloat?
>Its mascot was made by a furry.
So?
>Can somebody explain to me what the appeal of this f****ing DE is?
Qt apps are great: Dolphin is miles better than any other FM. Okular is the most feature rich document viewer for GNU/Linux. KDE Connect just werks, it allowed me to give up using botnet services like AirDroid. And the list goes on.
Moreover, it is not a resource hog (GNOME) and it's not obsolete (XFCE).

Attached: kkvality.png (1366x768, 594K)

It's the best working DE with the most useful features out of the box.
DEs either are trash (gnome), very bare bones (mate etc.) or memes (tilling shit). (yes I know DE != WM blablabla)

KDE just werks and has decent amount of options to play with, it's also NOT resource hungry like some misinformed shills say, it's actually quite lightweight. The only downside of KDE is that it doesn't look very appealing and all themes are kinda bad. Also I just generally dislike QT shit.
But KDE is fine overall. While I'm running i3 right now, if someone forced me to chose a single DE for my entire life I would probably take KDE.

KDE really needs a minimal option and default shortcuts.
Granted, you can do almost everything with almost every DE, but the default settings are what make them adopted or not.

>Dolphin
Would be an okay file manager if they handled file transfers better. Thankfully there's PCManFM-Qt which is almost identical to dolphin in terms of UI.

I used KDE for a week and had these glitches constantly

uninstalled and went back to gnome

Because it looks the best and is the most functional out of the box and is less bloated than shit like Gnome.

Get a fucking puppy if all you want to do is groom it and play with it.

Use Neon distro with adapta theme

The worst thing about KDE is the people behind it making dumbass decisions. Now you can't even run dolphin or kate as root, what were they trying to achieve with that?

Attached: a.jpg (563x375, 156K)