Why MSDOS games are so good?

Here's my theory: MSDOS games were programmed by absolute geniuses who later became programming professionals who make a lot of money these days.

The reason is, MSDOS programming was so complicated that those who simply had a vision of game but no intellect for complex programming, were left out.

Games of today suck compared to MSDOS games because there are no intelligent programmers making the games. There are only visionaires on how the game should look like and what story it will be telling, etc. But nobody is able to program nicely. Microsoft tries its best to help by providing absolutely crappy .NET to create programs upon.

Attached: msdos.jpg (4032x3024, 1.84M)

Attached: keen.jpg (1280x720, 181K)

Agreed OP

This motherfucker weights only 36MB.

Attached: 61829bf7651bbaaab46f4ad38942ed9f.jpg (622x365, 59K)

i think you're just a dumbass boomer with nostalgia goggles on and need to go back to

you must be modern game designer who is just pissed right now

please tell me all about the advanced elite tools used to develop games for dos user

Almost check'em.
MoM is the one of greatest strategy game.
Cast Doom Bolt on you.

This game features 2048 planetary systems across 8 different galaxies and weights only 22K.

forgot pic

Attached: BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png (256x248, 2K)

elite runs on something like 286 CPU, 16MHz, 640kb memory (but not sure about exact requirements, however this should be close to it)

When you made a DOS game you had to think everything out. What the game would be, what unique features it would have and how you would make it fun.

Now you can make some random art, slap it unto a format and done.
Or in the case of AAA-titles you can't even take risks that would challenge existing conventions.

That said, I have played all relevant games since first gen. And I do think that generally games have been improving over time.
Recently I tried to play some pre-NES games again and they were total shit.
Games from the late 90's were amazing. And we also had a period where little good games were released. But now the PC gaming industry is getting its shit together again.

>pre nes games were crap

I'm not exactly sure if all of these are pre NES or simply NES era, since they appear on NES but also on old desktop computers of 80s, anyway they are pretty good even if they are also very simple games

Tetris
Arkanoid
Gradius

did NES revolutionaritse anything? dunno but Megaman 1-3 were pretty awesome

what was the best from 90s MSDOS then?
probably this:
Master of Magic
Master of Orion
UFO Enemy Unknown

said games are getting cloned even today

Most MSDOS games are shovelware tier, though.

This fucking master piece was on DOS.

The new ones are god awful.

Attached: 91a25fd44194f478a456d7186531e43b1c53d7ed2cab1ff90464b917b099a9ef_product_card_screenshot_748.jpg (640x480, 134K)

there are literally thousands of games, not even sure about the whole numbers

probably 50% are shovelware but that still leaves us with several hundred acceptable games

also there was some games which had excellent premise but failed because of ceased funding / game being rushed

example is Ascendancy, it could have been excellent but the AI was braindead and it was never improved with patches, also the game was left in unbalanced state

pretty funny one to play even despite its flaws

Attached: ascendancy_8.png (656x516, 90K)

Pic related

Attached: based_redpilled_black.png (4096x2304, 794K)

BASED

this was unironically one of the best games of all times

Still can't get daggerfall to work

>why games are so good
learn english you ESL third worlder

That's because The Logic Factory were a shit artsy fartsy developer, like most indie retards today, that had one big success (Ascendancy) but didn't do anything with it. I followed their downfall over the years until their website was dead. Utterly incompetent developers with no communication skills.

game engines are still filled with doom-tier optimisations, however by relying on existing engines most producers are limiting the budget for optimisations. Some companies however make their own engines and its still hard hard work, and some games end up buggy or unoptimized because of this (just look at starcraft ,making the game engine and patching performance and porting the game to 64bit and make it use 2 cores took them more than 10 years - considering the alpha demos started at 2005 and LotV was released in 2015).
And its still a shit game performance wise.