Gaming on Linux

Is it a fucking meme? Even with Steam games, you'll run in a barriers like half of your library not being available on steam and a quarter of the half that works not being able to do cross-platform multiplayer.

Sure, you could use a VM but then you'd have to jump through the hoops of convincing the internet-connected version of Windows that you've got that it isn't pirated and once you've done that you're still going to have to deal with the fact that like a sixth of your RAM is just going to be eaten by the host OS.

As for WINE, I'm 90% sure that it's a meme. For a start it's pretty slow, and even when you do jump through all of the hoops that you need to go through to get it to work (e.g. installing fonts), it's not as if Steam's going to co-operate, because Steam's just going to install the Linux version of your games and tell you to go fuck yourself if you ever try to get the Windows versions.

So long story short, why does Jow Forums keep on telling me that I can game on this thing? It's hard enough to even get my weeb shit to run (pic related, it barely works even now that I've got some decent fonts for it).

Attached: Shot_006.jpg (795x637, 489K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/5638
pastebin.com/21Yi6vnt)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

long story short. Jow Forums is retarded.

Just dual boot and unplug your ethernet cable before booting into Windows.
>convincing the internet-connected version of Windows that you've got that it isn't pirated
Better yet, since you're so enamored by the idea of multiplayer and burning money on expendable digital entertainment which can be cloned infinitely at almost no cost, how about you just stay on Windows? Why are you even using Linux anyway?

honestly the only game i've had trouble with on Linux so far is Kamidori. for some reason whenever the audio streams play the animations slow to a halt, haven't figured out a way around it just yet.

>a quarter of the half that works not being able to do cross-platform multiplayer.
this just makes no sense
>Sure, you could use a VM but then you'd have to jump through the hoops of convincing the internet-connected version of Windows that you've got that it isn't pirated and once you've done that you're still going to have to deal with the fact that like a sixth of your RAM is just going to be eaten by the host OS.
>a sixth of your ram
having 4GB of ram isn't enought for most steam games anyways
>As for WINE, I'm 90% sure that it's a meme. For a start it's pretty slow
a 2% performance drop is so slow goyim
> it's not as if Steam's going to co-operate, because Steam's just going to install the Linux version of your games and tell you to go fuck yourself if you ever try to get the Windows versions.
what is steam play

>this just makes no sense
Going by my library, it's true.

>ram
I've got 6GB and I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, it's a hungry piece of shit.

>2%
Way more than that.

>steam play
I've never heard of that.

glad you figured it out,inow install windows and go back to

>I've never heard of that.
No, you totally have heard of it. It's the reason you made this shit thread in the first place. You wanted to discuss it, but couldn't actually bring yourself to make a not retarded bait thread.

the online thing is usually a drm problem or the game server problem, not a wine one
if you're using gnome/unity then its a hungry boi
running a vm is going to also be a hungry boi cus windows will take another 700mb at minimum
looks like you've got some kind of unicode text thingy issue
i had the same on windows 7
something todo with system fonts you have installed
gl user i hope you can play your hentai games eventually

Alright, I've looked it up now. Does it circumvent the cross-platform issue?

>Alright, I've looked it up now.
No, you heard about it when it went beta a couple of days ago, just like everyone else here.

this guy again
played the whole of this demo the other day on linux, only things that didnt work were the beginning cutscene (file can be viewed via vlc tho) and the escape minimise to taskbar, which hides but crashes upon reopening

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-27_17-42-38.png (810x630, 657K)

couldn't get proton to work. I'm running Gentoo with a RX-480, but I'm not sure what I'm missing

If this was a bait thread, why would I put so much effort in to the OP? If I was baiting, I would've stopped at the first sentence.

Yeah, I installed better fonts a while ago but it's still quite a bit slow and it still doesn't look right (see pic).

Attached: Shot_084.png (797x645, 818K)

I dunno. You really seem like a worthless shitposting retard so who knows why you do what you do.

>Linux
>Gaming
pick one

>i really want to talk about le vidya gaymes on le Jow Forums, specifically with this new valve wine thing i heard about earlier this week, but i'm just going to get told to fuck off back to /v/ if i do
You were right. You really should have just fucked off back to /v/ rather than making this thread.

Ok, I'll admit. This Steam Play thing looks pretty cool. If I can figure out how to make it install the Windows version of Total War: SHOGUN 2 rather than the Linux one then I'll have very little reason to stay here.

Did you actually bother to read the two paragraph long FAQ that Steam posted explaining EXACTLY how to do what you're asking?

I'm not seeing it. I know how to install the Windows versions of games that already don't work on Linux, but what I need to know is how to install the Windows version of a game that already has a Linux version.

>but what I need to know is how to install the Windows version of a game that already has a Linux version.
Well, according to Valve, you don't.

Are you saying that I've misread the FAQ or are you saying that the feature doesn't exist?

Overcooked 2 runs well even on my laptop with HD520 (albeit at 720p, but average 50-60fps). Actually runs better than Windows on the same laptop

github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/5638

Known issue. Move on.

I think there is a way to select a better/functional font with the options menu of the game and with winetricks. Give it a few tries.

i managed to get most font working (although the jap windows menubar died on me after messing with it) but i have to start the exe through the terminal with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine appname.
does anyone know how to set it as default, i couldnt find it in wineprefs or winetricks

Attached: MYRESOLUTIONISTOOLOWFUCK.png (1034x768, 1.1M)

It's a meme, but it's not a big deal. Just dual boot or use multiple computers.

>options menu of the game
Already tried it, that's the best one.

>winetricks
Guess I'll try that. I'll have to install that separately, right?

Just make a script?

>dual boot
I can't. My Windows 10 boot sector killed itself and I ended up wiping it and replacing the whole damn OS with Linux. Sure, I could pirate a new one, but at that point why wouldn't I just use a VM? Besides, W10 hates sharing a drive.

>or use multiple computers
I've got enough money to do that, but that's a bit pathetic.

>I've got enough money to do that, but that's a bit pathetic.
It's not pathetic, that's how adults do it. Build a gaming rig and run Linux on your workstation. macOS on the laptop. Nice and simple. Everyone I know does this.

Try launching it with LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8

I mean at worst you could just make a script file and put that line in it, then stick it on your desktop.

I recall nip games often have this problem on Windows too which is why I often have to use AppLocale, which is honestly more annoying that setting an environment variable like that.

Those screenshots were already from running "LANG="ja_JP.utf8" wine 'System40.exe'". Using "LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine 'System40.exe'" just gives the same results.

I was talking about the first screenshot, hadn't read the rest of the thread.

I DID IT!!
never done a script thingy before
managed to fix my jap menubar too

Attached: squee.png (1034x768, 1.08M)

has rance quest fully translated now?

Most of these are non-problems, or nothing that can't be fixed, of the ones you mentioned perhaps cross-platform is the only unsolvabe one for some games, get Lutris and POL.

Do you want to game, or do you want to be free?

Both.

Greedy man.

im not sure, i just downloaded the demo for times sake (didnt have many games on this laptop) judging by the vndatabase entry the demo has but the game isnt listed and the dlc is TBA

Dual boot
I dont get why people suffer through this emulation nonsense, ever
>I can't
Pretty sure you can

If it's not this, it will be another problem down the road

>having to reboot just to play a game
>having to take the time to install another OS
>having to take the time to get Windows to play nice with the other OS
>either paying the money for the new OS or taking the time to pirate it
That's why.

And having to reboot just to play games. Dual booting is ass.

i understand you pain OP
the best thing to do is to chose from these 2 options:
>kys
>w7

How about you fucking grow up and stop obsessing over your gay-hmms like a small child.

Can you still buy W7? Pirating it wouldn't be easy.

not sure if bait or just retarded
pirating is the easiest of things when it comes to w7

inb4 u live in germany where a download = fines in the mailbox

To be fair eroge is the patrician's pastime

>taking the time
As opposed to all the time you're "saving" troubleshooting and googling bugs, like this thread? You think this will be your only bug you're going to face?

Get real dude, you set up your computer and be done with it.

>restarting
It seems to me you want Windows as your actual OS, since you want to game. Not like using Linux in a VM will be any more buggy than all these Windows emulation

Wine is quite literally not emulation.
It also works much better than you make it out to be, specially for the kind of simple software visual novels are.
Works better than Windows for older titles too.

>simple software
Why would you limit yourself to such arbitrary constraints when much of these games were designed for Windows compatibility? You're just introducting another point of failure, emulation or not

It's not like your hardware has some sort of limits to how you install OS, ignoring weird EUFI/Secureboot nonsense

>playing videogames

user, let me tell you this burning truth: it's a waste of time.

You only live once.

Stop gaming, go out

t posting from old iPhone 3GS, my computer fried and I am on track to ascend to normiehood

>iphone 3gs
>Jow Forums
>normiehood
riiiiiiiight

I wish the steam client would include a option to look for the installed version of wine to play games, instead of resorting to proton. I'm still not sure why vulcan isn't working when I have an RX-480 installed.

Funnily enough I ran into the same sort of issues he had on Windows 7, with garbled fonts not fitting properly. I forget exactly what I did but I think I had to install some font pack and use a locale switcher.
I don't think this has anything to do with Linux, it happens because Japs can't into Unicode and still use their weird Windows code pages

Literally everything is a waste of time.

I said specially. As in "this definitely works".

Wine has got to the point where it can translate DirectX 11 and 12 to Vulkan, this is trivial.

try using emerge

>go out
and do what? get aids? get married?
fuck off

>get aids?
You already got that when you installed windows

>get married?
You're already married to gaben and will never leave him

you have no clear answers
answer the question instead of stating the obvious

install gentoo

Half the shit you said makes no sense or is not true.

>As for WINE, I'm 90% sure that it's a meme.
lol

Is there a good Genesis emulator?

>winetricks
Holy shit, it finally kinda works! Thanks user. It's still not perfect, but this'll do.

Now, it's just too bad that I can't fix yet.

Attached: Shot_104.png (796x646, 754K)

Why is duel booting better than running windows in a vm?

>implying that Jow Forums is worth it but vidya is not

Never heard of it.

Do tell?

You don't get full use of the GPU and memory in a VM vs a second OS at ten paces that has it available when "duel" booting.

>why does Jow Forums keep on telling me that I can game on this thing?
No it doesn't. Also you're trying to run Windows software in Linux. You wouldn't be making threads about Playstation not running Xbox games because it wasn't meant for that and it's obvious. Because WINE works so well people forget that it's next to a miracle that you can run Windows software in Linux. If the game developer doesn't help at all it pretty much shouldn't work, but sometimes it still does. If the developers won't make a real Linux client they should at least make sure their software runs perfectly in WINE. There's no one else to blame but them and maybe you. Stop giving money to wrong developers and maybe it will change over time.

Not only is WINE great but it also gets better constantly. If something didn't work a year ago it might be working this time. It would be even faster if the game/software developers would meet WINE developers halfway.

install gentoo

Glad to hear that.
Remember, on Linux almost any vn/eroge can be played if you fiddle around winetricks to install the missing libraries and fonts.
Also, use this guide (pastebin.com/21Yi6vnt) for playing rpgmaker games and read the required files: almost every time you need those files or similar.

I've already tried my best. I don't think that there's anything left to try now.

wine is definately a meme

the best way to game on linux is probably to set up a VM with full GPU passthrough, then you'll get at least 90% VGA performance and all windows games will work.

I fucking wish, a fair amount of them have videos that will just not play, and some will run at twice the speed for no reason.

fuck you normie go suck Bill Gates dick

I only play FOSS games without fucking Steam proprietary cancer and am happy

the rich kids like you are the worst cancer for GNU

GNU is cancer, stop being a faggot to /v/fags

all I want to know, how's Skyrim on Linux?

>running Linux on old Radeon 270x
>using GTX 1060 with GPU passthrough
>get to play any game I want
Feelsgoodman

It runs pretty damn well, no noticeable issues for me

Yeah, when that happens (videos not playing) you have to fiddle around with the codecs, the problem is that any game has a specific way to handle it, so it's a time-consuming chore.
Wine and Proton keep getting better (for example, Misao on Steam wouldn't play at first, now it works good enough), with time there will be less tinkering to play japanese games.

The original or the special edition?

take your own advice and stop browsing Jow Forums

Unironically, WoW on WINE works better than on windows

Don't fell for freetards memes, they are fucking brainlets. If you really want linux on your machine, just dual boot (I recommend installing Linux on another partition or HDD since GRUB is a piece of shit)

Special Edition

>Just dual boot and unplug your ethernet cable before booting into Windows.
No point if you are just going to play games. Well, no point at all since OP probably just got a bunch of reaction images and animes.

>set up a VM with full GPU passthrough
Can I just mod my current VM to do that? Or will I need a new one?

>pc dos
>Dr dos
>freedos
>Dosbox

>Wine
>Reactos
>Proton

It's merely a question of complexity

>Gaming on Linux
fuck off

I don't know, I've never actually done it. I'd imagine it requires quite a bit of tinkering and setup.

I can't run MSGV through Proton, it just crashes on launch. But I see an article from someone claiming that it worked immediately for them. What's up with that?

Attached: 1535205169203.gif (600x617, 469K)

My experience with Proton basically. Open something, instantly crashes. Just use Wine-staging with DXVK and Gallium Nine.

Is it possible to use wine to run the game as installed through steam?
I don't want to have to install a secondary instance of steam inside wine, I've had so many issues trying that, such as having to manually configure the servers in the config and force steam to not overwrite it.

Maybe that's depend on the distro and drivers used?
What are you currently using?

Recently switched to Mint for some compatibility problems.
Using all free drivers, works flawlessly.

I'm using ubuntu 18.04.01, currently downloading it. I'll give it a try.