/spg/ - Smartphone General

Sony XZ3 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Sony_Xperia_XZ3_Colours_-_02_gxiziq.jpg (1600x1000, 872K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_santoni
irishtech.ie/huawei-community-unlock-dismember/
9to5mac.com/2018/06/05/ios-12-speed-test-heres-how-fast-ios-12-runs-on-older-devices/
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6-Moto-G6-Plus-Moto-G6/Moto-G6-Plus-XT-1926-7-How-to-change-Retail-Channel/td-p/4119230
amazon.com.mx/Nokia-6-1-Dual-teléfono-desbloqueado-visualización/dp/B07B4KPFKM/
androidpolice.com/2018/08/24/asus-zenfone-5z-review/
gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/asus-zenfone-5z-vs-oneplus-6-comparison-performance-camera-battery-life-1878570
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

for me it's the Nokia 7 Plus

>Even rounder and uglier than the XZ2
I'm so fucking done.

Round is good ergonomically. I've got the XZ1 and it's not the most comfortable phone to hold, the edges kinda dig into your hand, especially if I'm holding it in landscape. Tried a XZ2 in a store and it was much more comfier in hand.

What does this mean?
github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_santoni
Does it mean my phone will get lineage soon? It wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

Frenchie here, any places to preorder the Poco already? No bully please.

>LG V30 or an S8

>can't unlock the bootloader on either, so forget custom ROMs.
This can't actually be correct can it? LG has available bootloader unlocks for its other devices and the S8 is a few years old

>drop the mSD, AMOLED, and 3.5mm requirements and get an Essential
Huh?

>Best Buy has the Moto Z2 force on sale for $160; you can root it an unlock the sim to use on any carrier.
link? all i'm seeing is the original Moto Z for $170
it is correct, thank VZW for their fuckery, get the Essential PH-1 off Amazon fot a little over $300 and you can unlock the bootloader/root/flash as long as you don't get it from VZW

What the fuck, did they move the fingerprint sensor to the back? Why?

I'm going to buy my first smartphone soon, how do I avoid making a huge mistake? More than anything, I want to understand how a mobile UI differs from a desktop operating system. Is it retarded, am I retarded, what kind of housekeeping do I need to do as soon as I boot it up for the first time? I've already researched acceptable specs, looked at the Jow Forums wiki, compared prices and so on but it doesn't tell me anything about using the device itself. Yes I live under a rock.

So what is the best flagship phone currently for normies? P20 pro?

So Huawei is now Nokia. RIP custom ROMS or root for Huawei phones.

irishtech.ie/huawei-community-unlock-dismember/

How's the XZ1 performance? Does it have any touch issues and wifi dropping like the XZP? It's around 300 USD from where I live so I'm kinda eyeing it at the moment. Also, how good/bad is the 2700 mAh on it?

Redmi Note 5 now (180-220€) or Pocophone F1 later (329)?

Resurrection Remix is based and redpilled imho
Thanks to the many Pajeets on youtube for helping me install it

Imagine the XZ1 compact if wasn't thick as a brick, didn't have those ridiculous bezels and a camera that wasn't complete shit

Attached: 1508614606814.jpg (728x546, 57K)

For me it's the Mi Max 3

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-in-hand.jpg (780x1092, 87K)

for mi it's the 5X

I've seen the essential. It looks pretty bad desu.
XDA has bootloader unlock for the V30 though, so not sure what you mean

>how do I avoid making a huge mistake?
The same way you would purchasing any new electronic device, research, see what's popular, see what it comes with, what you want, what your budget is, what you want but the absence of isn't a deal breaker, that sort of thing.
>More than anything, I want to understand how a mobile UI differs from a desktop operating system.
Quite a bit, very simplistic, after a day-ish of fiddling with it everything should be found pretty intuitively if you're not a grandma that thinks the minidisc is witchcraft.
The "desktop" of the smartphone will have several pages which contain shortcuts to programs you can tap to run, those are typically added onto the "desktop" as soon as they are installed, but you can remove them from it and just find them through a kind of 'start' menu.
Installing apps is done through the 'app store' (an app within itself), and it's as easy as looking it up.
>what kind of housekeeping do I need to do as soon as I boot it up for the first time?
If you're not going to root/flash it, pretty much nothing, and I recommend you don't if you only just got a smartphone.
Setting up the appropriate apple/google account (admittedly you can avoid it on android devices) which the phone will hold your hand through, downloading the shit you want from the app store, uninstalling shit you might not want, that's it, really.
Smartphones are pretty usable right out of the box, especially if you're new and don't quite know what you want yet.
>I've already researched acceptable specs, looked at the Jow Forums wiki, compared prices and so on but it doesn't tell me anything about using the device itself. Yes I live under a rock.
It's honestly pretty straight forward, if you can navigate a desktop computer fine you can definitely navigate a smartphone after a day of getting used to it.

A friend of mine came to visit to Mexico, but she dropped and busted her 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S7 and she leaves in a month, so she wants to replace it while she's still here. I guess it's the PTSD from the fall, but she's ok with a cheaper phone as long as it's sturdier and easily available.

As of now she seams to heavily like the Moto G6 Plus and the Mi A1. They're both available through Amazon Mexico and will get here quickly with Prime. The Mi A1 is pretty cheap and still pretty good, but she's want's it more as a final option because she's never heard of Xiaomi. Would you guys recommend it over the Moto G6 Plus?

Also, are there any other suggestions? Budget seems to be around 300 dollars. Keep in mind she want's a sturdier than usual phone if possible.

Attached: Dk-PDCOUcAgcgGp.jpg (567x427, 35K)

Essential are going bust though. You've got basically zero chance of decent after sales support and software updates

Attached: selfie4.jpg (768x1024, 70K)

I would but she sounds like the kind of people who will fuck up and blame you and the chinks when she drops it again
Also, Xiaomeme isn't sold officially in the US, iirc the A1 might miss a few bands there as well
You probably won't get warranty with the Moto since it's going to be grey market once she goes back, but you definitively won't get warranty for the A1 in the US
If she wants sturdy a Nokia might be a good idea, they're usually a bit better constructed than lelnovo/xiaomeme chinkshit, at the cost of shittier specs and no unlockable bootloader

I'm tempted to pick up a Pixel 2 XL since it's massively discounted these days but reading so many horror stories regarding the subpar display is worrying.

However, the display of this user's phone looks fine to me so is it possible that the issue has been fixed? What do you guys think, is it worth the risk?

Nah m8, it's perfect.

I have one too, the display is definitely not a problem, got it last December

XZ3 Compact when?

XZ1C performance is great. Battery lasts all day. Sharp corners and big bezels help it survive falls. And it has a headphone jack. Last good Sony phone.

>Check Amazon Mx for the Nokia 6.1
>Turns out it's import only and we're stuck with the shitty Snapdragon 430 Nokia 6

OOF

On the other hand, we also get the Redmi 5 Plus for cheap. Would you say it's better than the Mi A1?

What are your cons / the things you don't like about the phone? Any issues regarding the wifi and touch screen and software?

Is the performance gap between the XZ1 compact and the X compact big?

I'm blown away by how long the battery lasts. It's pretty fast too with its 2.45ghz octocore, but considering my former phone had 2 cores I'm easily impressed of course.
I only had wifi dropping once for some weird reason. A restart fixed it though.
I also like the fingerprint reader integrated into the power button. One move start&unlock.

The reply is appreciated.

Yeah, the X is a midrange chipset, the xz1 is top of the line (when it was released still VERY good though). Also a gig more ram helps with multitasking and gaming.

So yes, it's pretty substantial. Especially now that the xz1 can be had for pretty cheap.

Well I said XZ1 but I've actually got the XZ1 Compact. Performance is great, no complaints. Don't do any gaming though. No touch issues at all, didn't have WiFi issues expect with the router at my gf's house. With that the WiFi would stop working every 5-10min and you'd have to toggle WiFi off and on again to get it working again. But I'm happy to inform you even that got fixed in the latest update, working just fine now. Battery life is amazing, but a lot of that is thanks to the small, 720p display. I've read that the regular size XZ1 is still decent.

>for normies
Whatever is the latest iPhone or Galaxy S-series phone

I was pretty disappointed when I checked the size of the XZ1 compact out in the store. It's just as big as the Moto G 2014

Pixel 2(XL) or the iPhone 8+/X.
>normies
>ever buying huawei
Like, maybe hipster europeans but that's about it.

X Compact is still very fast, had it for a week and It was really nice. Not a lot worse than my XZ1C

Poco

What's your friends carrier? You really want to check the bands so she'll get proper service back home.

well uh almost

Attached: almost.png (760x529, 336K)

What risk? Don't pretty much all stores offer 30 days return now? If the screen doesn't look fine just take/send it back.

yup user thats a good looking phone, but seriously guys for me it's waiting for the redmi note 6 that launches in February 2k19. Thanks for your time folks.

If you answer the questions in the OP, we can give you some recommendations.
>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

What's the safest (most stable level) of charge to leave a power bank at for an extended period of time?

I bought an Anker 10,000 mah one, but in retrospect it feels like overkill, I never really need it day to day, I'm always good about charging in the mornings and whenever I'm at a desk/port really. And even if my phone is low on charge, I just use it sparingly. Actually I use it sparingly on the go anyway, I'm not a zoomer constantly watching 1440p Netflix via 4G on full brightness while driving or on public transport.

I've read many different claims of what is the most chemically stable level to leave batteries at. 100%, 80%, 50%, 40%.

Attached: anker_powercore_speed_10000_qc_thumb800.jpg (800x450, 21K)

Get an iPhone SE then. XZ1 Compact is as small as it gets on the Android side.

The XZ1 has treble, right? I've read online that it has a couple of issues during the first few weeks of launch. I suppose they're all fixed now from the updates, correct? This is currently on the top of my list right now. Other options would be a samsung, probably s8+, or a huawei (not sure which, though).

>Don't do any gaming though.
Why is that? Due to the battery?
>that got fixed in the latest update
Oh, that's nice to hear. I've read stuff online from a while back, and they were complaining about the wifi dropping issues. Props to sony for fixing it.

Keep it around half capacity for the best longevity. But I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of something you can easily and cheaply replace. And I wouldn't worry about it spontaneously exploding either, Anker is a quality brand.

Every girl I know has an Huawei. I live in Europe in America they all have iPhones according to Jow Forums

>The XZ1 has treble
Not sure what you mean. The audio quality is very good imo, if that's what you mean. Even with the default earplugs I was happily surprised. I wouldn't expect any less of a sony though. Camera is alright too. A bit too much median filter in the result to my taste, but that's only obvious when you watch the photos 1:1.

Why is Firefox on Android so bad?
scrolling is just so extremely choppy and I don't know why, Chrome does not have this issue on my OP6.

Huawei to Europe is what Samsung is to America.
aka for girls who can't afford iphones or think it's too cliche.

what do you mean it looks bad? also the only V30 you can unlock is the US998 model, not the VZW model
you're an idiot, check XDA and STFU

>just dropped my galaxy s5 neo yesterday
>loved the small phone to death
>can't find a replacement between all those bricks
I really just use it for browsing, twitter and some normie social media apps

Heard good things about Android1 nokia phones but they appear to be fancy meme phones with shitty UI

It has Treble, yes. All phones that launch with Oreo have it.

>Why is that
Well, actually I wasn't completely truthful. My gf occasionally gets me to play Pokemon Go with her. But other than that, I just really haven't found any mobile games I enjoy playing. I do play Hearthstone on my tablet.

>Get an iPhone SE then
Don't buy SE. Its definitely not worth it. Im using it for 6 months or so and its already too slow. Part of it is the slow as hell animation, but you can also see stuttering when you are scrolling down, when you are typing small letter that pops up when you press it stays for longer than usual sometimes, it often doesn't register touch, its like it was written in software to not register every 10th touch or so. Im finding it extremly difficult to believe that this phone wasn't purposely worsened by apple. 6s was absolutely flying when i had it (when it was new) and SE today (with same chip and smaller screen) feels very dated.

are you a grill btw?

i thought the G6+ picks up American bands, they just didn't sell it in the states because the X4 had the same hardware

iOS 12 should fix that. I've read that it runs much faster and smoother than iOS 11, even on the older iPhones like the 5S.
9to5mac.com/2018/06/05/ios-12-speed-test-heres-how-fast-ios-12-runs-on-older-devices/

because Quantum on android still needs revising, use Brave for now

Alright, I'm an idiot. Never heard of project treble before. But apparently all devices that start with 8.0+ automatically have it.
Now I want to know, how is it interesting to a user? Does it give options? It's advertised as an easier way to update. Which I noticed, there were a lot of them in the beginning.

I was talking about project treble, but thanks for the audio input. I wasn't sure if the audio quality is good.

Does it still restart when taking out the micro SD?

I'm a brainlet, but from my understanding, I think it means you'll get the android 10 update with treble.

>What's your friends carrier

Just asked. She's At&t. You're right about that. I was checking overall bands, but that really narrow it down. Still searching though. More suggestions are appreciated.

it's interesting to a user because it means that 3rd party ROMs can be developed more easily for devices, however there are levels for Treble, and there are Treble checker apps that tell you what Treble "level" the device falls under

>shitty UI
That's stock Android

Just took the MicroSD out and put it back in, didn't restart.

Alright, thanks. One last thing, is the battery optimization for the XZ1 good? I want it to be able to last at least a day.

Well, like I said I've got the XZ1 Compact, which I know gets better battery life than the regular XZ1 thanks to the smaller display and lower resolution. It'll easily last a day with regular use, but can't really comment on the XZ1. But from my experience with this phone, Sony's done a good job with the optimization.

don't do the Moto G6 Plus, just read a customer service forum where a dude bought the XT-1926-7 International Model and said even though it advertises that it picks up American LTE bands for AT&T and T-Mobile, it doesn't work
forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6-Moto-G6-Plus-Moto-G6/Moto-G6-Plus-XT-1926-7-How-to-change-Retail-Channel/td-p/4119230
they didn't even get back to the guy after they said they would test a model on T-Mobile SIM, lmao Motorola is a fucking joke
>the absolute state of the American Unlocked Phone Market

>At&t
Ok, so that's 2/4/5/17/30 for the 4G bands. From what I remember 4 and 17 are the most important ones to have.

I think this should be the US version of Nokia 6.1 (TA-1045), fully compatible with AT&T, only band it's missing is B30.
amazon.com.mx/Nokia-6-1-Dual-teléfono-desbloqueado-visualización/dp/B07B4KPFKM/

The screen issue has been way overblown by the media. All oled screens have colour shifting.

can confirm, that's the correct model nunber for the US Nokia 6.1

Poco work on normal Canada/US bands?

Switching from OnePlus One to Redmi Note 5, how much better is the screen, and just the phone in general?

My Moto G second Gen is still kicking. Battery still holds charge very well, performance is lacking and the 8GB internal storage (can't use SD to extend it) and 1GB RAM are shit but at least it works.

My biggest gripe is that despite it being really close to stock Android Moto hasn't offered any updates beyond 6.0. It's for that reason I haven't and probably will never buy another G. Waiting for the Poco to drop so I can replace it with that.

I'm looking for a new phone. Here are the specs:
- United States
- Verizon
- Preferably under $600 but it can be more
- Fingerprint scanner
- Good/decent camera
- Not too big
- No shitty edge display or too awkward dimple at the top
- Has Android
I'm not that picky on its processing power cause mostly all I do on it is use Firefox and call/text people. Can someone help me with a recommendation?

The version Europe is getting has bands 1/3/5/7/8/20/38/40/41, so it doesn't have good band support for Canada/US.

They're also launching it officially in Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Mexicoso it's pretty much guaranteed to have band 4 there. But I can't find the actual bands posted anywhere yet for that version. We should know the bands once it's available for sale in one of those countries.

Oh, forgot to add: it should have a microsd slot.

Heats up and battery life is pretty bad. Pretty much an uglier more powerful Z5.

Pixel 2, I think it's currently $480 with device payments. No MicroSD slot though. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy a Pixel at this point, we're less than 2 months away from Pixel 3 launch.

XZ2 Compact is compatible with Verizon, worth considering, though some people have had issues getting it to work properly.

Moto X4 fits your requirements too, it's $299 currently, you just missed it on sale for $200.

>Not too big
What size would be too big, 5.5"? Moto Z2 Play is on sale for $299, it's 5.5".

5.5" is fine. I just don't want some massive Samsung Galaxy S9+ that won't even fit in my pocket. Should I worry about Google doing their Google thing on the Pixel?

I don't mind the notch, thought it was interesting when Apple introduced it and silly when so many copied, but I don't understand why nobody increases the width to accommodate a 16:9 screen. Every single one of these phones would look much better if they weren't far off the golden ratio.

Gonna get a P20 Pro soon. Can I de-google easily while still keeping the default OS? I wanna keep the nifty camera shit

you can't do shit with them, read ge-Googling requires root, you'll brick the device after paying $700 for it

Well shit
Thanks

if you live outside of the states, get a Pocophone F1
If you life in the states, get a Zenfone 5Z
I'm assuming you wanted the P20 Pro for the Camera, correct?

Why recommend the Zenfone over the OP6?

what does /spg/ think of the oneplus 6?

better camera, better audio, dual speaker setup, mSD slot, has dev support as well as the OP6 as it's been out longer than it's been for sale in the States, and LCD screen so no chance of AMOLED burn-in (they're both FHD+ 18:9 screens), and cheaper
the only real advantages the OP6 has over the 5Z is water resistance and it's on 8.1 on Oxygen OS

Well, in the Android Police review they preferred the OP6:
androidpolice.com/2018/08/24/asus-zenfone-5z-review/

it's a poo article, but it has less bias
i don't trust Amerixan review sites because they give good ratings based on who pays them more
gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/asus-zenfone-5z-vs-oneplus-6-comparison-performance-camera-battery-life-1878570

>verizon
Samsung or Apple, nothing else works well on the network except Motorola which has been producing trash for the last two or more generations since lenovo got their cheap claws in.

>(can't use SD to extend it)
Get Android 6+ on it (LOS 14 just werks) to get adaptable storage
Or use Link2SD or some other thing
I have the first gen Moto G, and aside from the lack of storage everything just werks on LOS14 or other Android 7 ROMs, I use AEX but I will drop it soon since they dropped support for it

Is it even worth it to go for the 4gb version of the note 5 pro?

Should I get the Galaxy S9 or the LG G7? Only thing making this a question is the DAC. I'm in a weird spot between normie and audiophile where I use good speakers and especially headphones (Sennheiser HD598) but also listen to shit on Spotify, so I'm not sure it actually matters for my purposes

S9. G7 just can't compete.

Poco F1.

unless Spotify is broadacting FLAC files, you probably won't notice
Don't get a Samsung though, it's literally the iPhone of the Android world, and that's not a good thing
get a Pixel 3 if you can wait

Wifi works great. Touchscreen works great. Lots of bloatware and rooting is more difficult than other phones. Some apps give you very little screen real estate. It's 720p although still fairly high DPI.

Biggest con is probably dev support. Once you unlock your bootloader you're on your own. Highly recommend you keep stock software if you get one.

i see oneplus 6 phone are on a sale right now. is this something to do with poco f1 being launched?

also, what's the software support for xiaomi phones in general? guarantee android 9, 10? if great, best i get f1 as my daily driver for a good 3+ years.