/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

old one hit bump limit
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)

old thread:

Attached: 1534772804137.png (1500x972, 701K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/MTRvnQ
ref.x86asm.net/
superuser.com/questions/873546/bash-cant-type-e-or-ill-get-infinitely-repeating-hs
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I need a mic thats less than $30 with a mute option and a stand that I can put on my desk

Any iOS users here? How long does it keep your old notifications, or at least the ones you see on the lock screen? I think my girlfriend is cheating on me so I want to scroll through hers. I'm not gonna view the message causing me grief, I just want to see what app she received the message from.

can i use gentoo on a sempron 3000+ overclocked to 2.4 ghz?
if not what should i install on this machine
>inb4 get a new one
fug off

Attached: shrek.jpg (1280x720, 35K)

I probably won't get any real answers in this shitty thread but I've been trying to find the lowest voltage possible for my moderate 4GHz overclock on my 5820K.

I set the "Core Voltage" in BIOS to 1.0V but then in HWMonitor I see there's two kinds of voltages - VID and VCORE.
VID is what I actually set as the Core Voltage in BIOS to 1.0V (shows 1.002V but that's the one), but the VCORE is significantly lower at around 0.94V.

So is my CPU actually running at 0.94V or 1.0V? This VID bullshit changes the entire perception of online overclocking discussion because it doesn't seem to be the accurate measure of CPU voltage, I'm so confused right now.
And how do I even regulate the actual VCORE if BIOS only allows me to set VID which is not the operating CPU voltage according to leddit?

Attached: Capture.png (612x719, 54K)

Just started university and didn't bring my gaming PC because I was afraid of getting robbed and only brought my dell inspiron 13 inch 2 in 1. I am running into a bunch of issues and can't play jack outside of super old stuff and VNs. And even for those I run into a variety of problems with full screen mode from colors being inverted or negative to flickering, etc. I also forgot to bring any of my controllers and PC controls for JRPG ports suck. Windowed mode sucks because I have no way of centering the window or doing full screen windowed mode without some issue and not being able to have things centered or positioned properly. Gaming on a laptop just sucks and wanted to know what my best course of action is.

I got an Asus Monitor and want to calibrate it so that my colors look somewhat similar to my monitor.
Or is that impossible and it doesn't matter what mine looks like since others are different?

I recently found this old flip clock on the junk and got it to work again. Only thing is that the battery cover is missing and I can't buy spare parts because I don't know the model. Does anyone know more about it? I'd love to have it complete so I can sell it to milk some hipsters.

Attached: IMG_20180827_180332.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

Two questions.

Will I see a performance increase by moving my OS from a SATA SSD to a NVMe m.2 SSD?
Can I reuse my Windows 10 product key on the same PC if I do upgrade SSDs?

What is the best program to encrypt single files in AES that is available for Windows, Mac and Linux?

If shes texting it's gonna be snapchat.

For some reason normies feel an attraction towards botnets

In the famous :(){ :|:& };:, is there any reason other than aesthetics that :|:& is not :&:&?

You certainly can use it, but the compilation times are bound to be painfully
slow. I've never actually used gentoo, but as far as I am aware it provides
support for installation of binary packages through portage. If you are going to
do that, however, you should have a good reason to choose it over a pure binary
package distro.

Question:
What's the ideal height relative to my body and length apart that my mouse and keyboard should be from eachother to prevent damage? I got my first PC build a week back and I can't really find a comfortable spot to rest anything.

What do you put in to "pgo_data_path"?
I gave it a folder and it bitched about not having a file, so i gave it a file and it bitched about it being invalid.

Is there any way to remove the youtube trending page?
Not remove it, but making it blank like home using these filters

youtube.com##div.home div#content
youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype='home']

when was (You) added to Jow Forums? I'm pretty oldfag and I feel it was basically there forever except for like two years ago when hiro removed it.
not Jow Forums related but I have nowhere else to ask this.

Attached: you.png (878x315, 104K)

No

dude, just install Xubuntu, less headaches
Once you're familiar with the distro, do a netinstall of ubuntu and install precisely what suits you

How can you write a program without a program? I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms here, but as an example, how could you create something like Python without there already being such a thing due to you having to use a computer to write Python? I keep ending up with a chicken and the egg situation where to write the program a program has to already exist. But if that's the case, then how did we get the first program?
God, I'm fucking awful at describing things. Am I confusing something like Python with an OS? If that is the case how can you write an OS without an OS already existing?

>oldfag
>I have nowhere else to ask this.
What about /qa/?

Please respond. my mouse arm is starting to hurt a bit.

Middle of screen on eye level and between 40 and 60 cm away. Keyboard and mouse in a way that you can comfortably have your arms at a 90 degree angle.

Hey, I have a really dumb question, how does something like this
ripjaws gskill 2x 8gb ddr3 ram
msi 970A-G43 plus motherboard
VGA sapphire 1000386vxl r7 370 r graphics card
AMD 8-core FX-8320 3.5G 8M R CPU

Compare with a similiar build replacing the GPU for a 1050 TI? What sort of diffrence in performance would that be? Would going for a 580 8gb be reasonable? Or a gtx 1060 6gb?

Attached: bf9c116a2d2201d970e48551cbf91cad.jpg (605x592, 55K)

What's the safest (most stable level) of charge to leave a power bank at for an extended period of time?

I bought an Anker 10,000 mah one, but in retrospect it feels like overkill, I never really need it day to day, I'm always good about charging in the mornings and whenever I'm at a desk/port really. And even if my phone is low on charge, I just use it sparingly. Actually I use it sparingly on the go anyway, I'm not a zoomer constantly watching 1440p Netflix via 4G on full brightness while driving or on public transport.

I've read many different claims of what is the most chemically stable level to leave batteries at. 100%, 80%, 50%, 40%.

Attached: anker_powercore_speed_10000_qc_thumb800.jpg (800x450, 21K)

>expecting anything other than shitposting from /qa/ - the blue board /b/
>being this new

Unironically, if you email Citizen they'll more than likely tell you whatever you want to know. Include the pic obviously.

So just a mic? I would suggest a simple hanging one or one with a armor, there are many in that price range on amazon, if you want to be able to pick it up I think you're stuck with crap.

A folder from a tar.gz has the user "2000," and I can't delete it.

chown /folder as superuser did nothing and generated no error message, but the owner and group is still "2000." The dialog box says that only the owner can change permissions. Inside the tar.gz, the user is labelled "travis." Thank you, "travis."

Is this one of those famous github viruses?

Is there an easy to use artificial intelligence voice changer yet?

Attached: Dk9B7kIUcAA_2FX.jpg (839x1024, 98K)

it's 2018. shouldnt they have something that prevents overcharge?

Put that up on a website like pcpartpicker.
Im not going to manually search for all of those just ot help you out, i would easily look at pcpartpicker because it has all the stats i need on one page

>11 . Long-term Storage
The cell should be used within a short period after charging because long-term storage may cause
loss of capacity by self-discharging. If the cell is kept for a long time(3months or more), It is strongly
recommended that the cell isstored at dry and low-temperature and Keep the cell(s) at a half-charged
state. the cell should be shipped in 50% charged state. In this case, OCV is from 3.65V to 3.85V. Our
shipping voltage is 3.75-3.80v . because storage at higher voltage may cause loss of characteristics.
- over a period of 1 month: -5 ~ 35℃, relative humidity: ≤75%. - over a period of 6 months:
-20~ 25℃, relative humidity: ≤75%.

The best action is to get your PC and use it, most gaming pcs last maybe 5 years? So let's say your in school 2 years, its it worth wasting some of the best parts of your computers lifespan having it sit at home so it doesnt get stolen? Think about it

I wanna make a totally anonymous instagram account (finsta, I guess the kids call it). But I want it to be totally disconnected from my real account. Is that even possible? I wouldn't make it using my phone, because I know that's a dead giveaway. If I sign up with an anonymous e-mail and burner phone number, should that make it impossible for my current insta friends/contacts to associate the finsta with me?

do a clean install and only use the drivers given by the manufacturers, updates tend to break VGA drivers in laptops
Also don't game on laptops, just install dwarf fortress :^)

Yeah thats true, especially after I spent like 2k on it jsut to get a GTX 1080 and 16gb of RAM and a current gen i7 into it. I planned to go back home every weekend just to play my PC and PS4 since I am 1 hour by car away from home or 2 hours by bus

Building a computer for GF, she wants to render shit. I was wondering if I should go with the newest i5, or the i7? Not sure if there's that much of a difference for price vs performance.

Keep it, it looks comfy af

thanks bro
source?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/MTRvnQ

...In other news, for no reason at all, my su password has stopped working in the terminal. I've entered it about twenty times and it was wrong each time. Meanwhile, I opened a hard drive requiring the password without trouble on the first go.

I don't know whether this was just one of those joyous coincidences or related in some way.

>she wants to render shit.
Does she know what that word means?
Ask her to see her portfolio of "rendered" projects.

kek

Is there a way to see all tweets of a person?

Bootstrapping.

It all starts with the CPU architecture. When a CPU with a completely new
instruction set is designed, logic gates are arranged such that a certain
sequence of electric signals results in a certain action. For example:
001000 01000 01001 000000000000011 will add 3 (the last segment) to
a value stored in the register (a piece of hardware on the CPU capable of
storing a single value) 8 (the second segment) and put the result into the
register 9 (third segment). 001000 is called an opcode, it tells
the CPU what to do, in this case - add.

Nobody likes to write raw machine code, so the next step is writing an
assembler. All an assembler does is assign mnemonics to opcodes and registers
(most of the time it does a little more than just that, but we'll keep it
simple). Now that an assembler is written, instead of writing the sequence of
ones and zeros seen above we can simply write: addi $t0, $t1, 3.

Next step is writing a C compiler. Yes, it's always a C compiler, since most
other compilers/interpreters/Operating systems are written in C. This is first
done using assembly, and as such a simplified version of the compiler is usually
written. It is then used to compile a more sophisticated C compiler written in
C. At that point you have everything you want.

Complaining about board quality is unproductive. You should instead try to improve it. You want a meta discussion? You should go to the designated meta discussion board.

I repeatedly mounted and unmounted the hard drive and each time entered the root password. It worked every time. The terminal no longer recognised the root password. I attempted to turn off KDE Wallet, a password manager I don't use, but that required the root password. I copy-pasted the root password from a text editor. Authentication failed.

Yeah that makes sense I suppose but I would more likely reccomend a desk that you can sort of lock in to if you're really worried and just dont talk about high end computer stuff if you're really worried.

As I understand AMD is better at most price points for rendering so consider ryzen

Try sudo su and then change the root password with passwd.

While she does use snapchat, I'm not sure if the notification came from that. It said "username123 has sent you a message". I'm pretty sure it wasn't tinder, but I can't remember what the icon looked like.

asm.
every cpu has its own set of instructions. the first high level programming languages were written in low level asm
ref.x86asm.net/

...Bizarrely, the user password got KDE Wallet to turn off, not the root. I attempted using the user password in the terminal to no avail.

I was not in the sudoers file. That incident will be reported.

This is debian, if it makes a difference.

Liveboot from a flash drive, mount the root partition, edit "/etc/sudoers" by adding your_user_name ALL=(ALL) ALL to the file, then do what I suggested in the last post.

Wait for GTX 2060 or buy a GTX 1060 6GB for $300 or less??

1060 3GB

Too gimped.

Wait for the price and then decide.

I'll try that.

In other news, the software manager accepts the root password, but the newly installed rxvt does not, so the issues doesn't seem to be the terminal itself.

Should I upgrade my 1080 to a 2080 when I play at 1080p 60fps?

Also check this out: superuser.com/questions/873546/bash-cant-type-e-or-ill-get-infinitely-repeating-hs
It's a longshot, but who knows.

Can someone baby me on setting up the Pixel XL after you unlock the bootloader?
I havent rooted anything since the s3 and all that shits changed since back then, none of the guides assume you arent part of the phone scene in their guides

How do I fix my mouses polling rate? Whenever I use it, the mouse seems to skip frames, and when I play a game, the camera is always jumpy and the mouse causes the screen to move in a box like pattern instead of being smooth.

Based. Thank you frens!

What is a good, easy to use virtual environment and where can I go to learn more about setting one up? I tried Google, it's hard to know what you're looking for when you don't know what you're looking for.

RTX is overpriced garbage, especially for 1080@60. Don't bother.

I have to use Windows 10 on my laptop for school. How do I disable automatic updates? It tells me my user doesn't have the ability to disable tasks.

Wait for september 20th to decide, we don't know yet if its good or not.
Specially we don't know if it will be worth it $800/1000, the raytracing gimmick is not worth it at all that is for sure.

Install windows 10 2016 LTSB.
Open group policy and change updates from auto download auto install to manual download and manual install.

Didn't think of that, thanks. Just sent them an e-mail, fingers crossed!

I'd like to but considering how much people are willing to pay for vintage stuff, I'd rather have the money. Gotta pay the bills somehow.

Anyone here work with typing number a lot? Maybe accountant or programmer or data guy?

Do you rely on the numpad or do you use the number row?

Do you have a safe torrent link?

Another question: So I just installed a USB mouse rate adjuster for my computer, and I tried to put my mouse polling to 1000hz instead of 125hz, but even though I did everything, my mouse is stuck at 125hz or below. I am not sure why this is happening, but my mouse is still seemingly odd and not entirely smooth.

Attached: 1535149601435.png (350x352, 120K)

Also, is 1000hz better? Or is 125hz what I should have locked?

I just checked a mouse rate checker, and I get as high as 132hz and as low as 20hz...

There is one in the OP.
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

>How do i check personally if its safe
Check SHA-1 with 7-zip.

>How do i download magnets
Use the URL/Magnet option in your magnet torrent.

My laptop has a Xeon and came with 10 Pro for workstations, will LTSB work properly?

Yes.

Awesome, thanks. Just activate with KMSpico like regular Enterprise?

Also in Pro you can also open group policy and do the same, you also have to disable the windows update service though.

Yup but you should use MSToolkit.
Both work anyway.

veracrypt

Hello,

I recently found Bluetooth headphones to be enjoyable for walking around etc.
Would there be much benefit in converting larger files (20MB) to a newer standard/smaller size? By this I mean battery usage in playing the music.

I have found some topics about this but they focus on high quality audio and large files (500MB+).
Thankyou

Attached: picture of bluetooth.png (453x111, 5K)

First of all, don't do that unless you want to get robbed
Second of all, no point in doing so, the bluetooth receiver/sender has a hard cap of like 3mbps

How do I change the settings of my taskbar on Windows 7 to let me move individual windows of the same type instead of the entire group at once? I can't figure out a way to do this.

Attached: Satan.jpg (500x500, 58K)

why would anyone use the number row for typing numbers? numpad is extremely fast with just a single hand.

Any other hostages of Comcast/Xfinity have incorrect numbers reported for data usage? I've supposedly used nearly 100 GB in the last two days but according to my firewall total received data for the last 11 days is ~40GB. Is there any way to dispute this or is this just Comcast Jewing more shekels out of me?

Right click > properties > taskbar buttons > never combine.

I just did the registry edit, I'll see if that works. If it doesn't I'll use LTSB.

So... After doing some research for myself, and please correct me if I am wrong, I apparently can't change the polling rate for my USB mouse?

Okay I should have been a little clearer.
My windows aren't all combining into a single button when I have too many of them (as that option does), what I mean is that every single open browser winder or open folder or whatever are all attached one after the other next to each other. I can't take one of those folder tabs and move it away from the rest or change the ordering of them (without closing and reopening those folders) for example, they're all stuck in their original order barring strange circumstances.
I'm basically looking for a way to separate them all apart or at least rearrange their order at will, without having to close and reopen each one individually. Is this possible?

Based on current information, not a shot in hell.

Was that not good enough, did I mess up?

rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

how the fuck do I install KDE on ubuntu and have it actually fucking work. Every time I've tried I got a black screen that did nothing.

Attached: 1516067363723.png (408x450, 35K)

Are you a developer focused on ray tracing?

which device okay for surfing the web and watching YouTube videos in a web browser, but smoothly? i also like it to be a bit affordable

Anyone know how long they stay around for? She got the message around a week and a half ago.

How affordable is affordable?

Kindle Fire HD8

Attached: 1533932778189.jpg (1409x1080, 650K)

under 300€