GlobalFoundries Stops All 7nm Development

RIP AMD resurgence

anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

Attached: glofo 7nm.png (601x294, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13122/amd-rome-epyc-cpus-to-be-fabbed-by-tsmc
extremetech.com/computing/268379-troubling-news-amd-moves-7nm-gpu-production-back-to-tsmc
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-changes-wafer-supply-agreement-with-globalfoundries.html
techreport.com/news/30600/amd-takes-a-335m-one-time-charge-for-more-sourcing-flexibility
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/globalfoundries-gives-up-on-advanced-chip-production-technology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So this is the reason why intel stocks jumped today

So we're getting TSMC Zen 2 then?

looks like it
Considering they are they only supplier now prices may be increased :(

suddenly

Attached: Ses.jpg (675x530, 50K)

Holy shit so they will actually go with samsung after all?
If glofo cancels their contract binding amd to buy from them it would change everything

Sold my AMD stock after I saw this, I didn't have very much (I bought $200 when it was $5) but this is going to pull the rug out from under their climb

Aren't they majority fabbing 7nm at TSMC? I though the only reason AMD were even there is because they had a contract with glofo and coudnt switch it all away.

seems glofo just couldnt reach production stage and bailed out. Low output for future AMD products, but it's not like they are hard to find anyway.

This is bad. It gives an excuse to AMD for raising prices on Zen 2.

Could you make it sound a little more FUD? I don't think that's enough.

TSMC
Begin EPYC CPU and GPU
GlobalFoundries begin Ryzen desktop.

Don't play with stocks again user, you're clearly not good at reasoning.

Don;t want you to loose your home

If I was spreading FUD I'd not have claimed I only had $200 worth, shill.

Attached: DY_dqGXX4AAqde7.jpg (1000x581, 60K)

See you in 24 hours when they've crashed 20% and you're screaming about how they're fine.

I never said they wouldn't go back up, but I might as well sell what I have no and buy again once they dip.

I can't help but wonder what made them stop development. Perhaps some individuals, that normally deal in currency, decided to show up on site and present a "deal" they couldn't risk their families life's on.

But AMD already announced a while ago that they would go with TSMC for 7nm first.
I mean it's still surprising, but if TSMC delivers we will be fine right?

AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AYYMDPOORFAGS CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH

This will have little if any effect on amd.

Taiwan is getting hit by major tropical depressions and have been flooding the past week, it's getting pretty bad in some places lol.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Retard, you know TSMC also makes 7nm right?

Yep. AMD were only using GloFo because they were contractually obliged to. If that contract is now void due to GloFo not fulfilling their end of the deal, this might actually be positive for AMD.

TSMC is literally the ONLY foundry that is delivering.

It was already confirmed AMD is fabbing 7nm Vega and Zen 2 EPYC on TSMC.

anandtech.com/show/13122/amd-rome-epyc-cpus-to-be-fabbed-by-tsmc
extremetech.com/computing/268379-troubling-news-amd-moves-7nm-gpu-production-back-to-tsmc

REEEEEEEEE YOU SAID ALL I HAD TO DO WAS WAIT FOR NAVI WAIT FOR 7NM REEEEEEEEE

It's almost like companies being served by GloFo would have known this news weeks or months in advance or something.

But... security bugs...

Attached: 5750212647346.png (400x400, 94K)

>The contract maker of semiconductors decided to cease development of bleeding edge manufacturing technologies and stop all work
RiP Glofo
dead in 5 years

AMD went full TSMC 7nm weeks ago you cumbucket

>RIP AMD resurgence
This is actually good news for AMD my sweet /v/tard.

I've been saying for months that zen 2 will be exclusively fabricated at tsmc and the same little clique of retarded autists kept insisting that glofo was still relevant so sucks to your auntie sperglords

The fall of glofo is the real story here. TSMC is destined to have an absolute monopoly on cutting edge silicon manufacturing and that is terrible news for the entire industry. Fuck jim anderson who gives a fuck, suits are a dime a dozen.

why did I read this in AdoredTV's scottish accent

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GET FUCKING REKT AMDRONES

WHO'S FUCKING LAUGHING NOW

damn, so "Diffused in USA" will join "Diffused in Germany" as a marker of old chips.

I know this post is bait but AMD is using TSMC's 7nm not GlobalFoundrie's.

Is AMD now able to get Samsung to fab 7nm chips now that GloFo fucked off on their own term? I remember there being a provision releasing AMD from GloFo exclusivity if GloFo can't supply.

not him, but remember when TSMC got shut down because of a virus for a day?

that was just a test run from Intel

screenshort this

Literally us. AMD have been trying to get out of their wafer supply agreement with GloFo for years. They paid GloFo $100m in 2016 just so that they could use other foundries and not rely on this bunch of fuckups.
>Make a $100 million cash payment to GF, paid in installments beginning in Q4 2016 through Q3 2017.
>Make quarterly payments to GF beginning in 2017 based on the volume of certain wafers purchased from another wafer foundry.
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-changes-wafer-supply-agreement-with-globalfoundries.html

Attached: homer.png (335x455, 196K)

AMD STOCK DROPPING LIKE A ROCK NOW

ABANDON SHIP BEFORE YOU LOST MONEY

AMD gonna buy glofo in 2 years.
glofo is getting ready for the sale.

FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWSFAKE NEWSFAKE NEWSFAKE NEWSFUCKYOU

that actually happens quite a bit in big corporations, especially if the fuck up on security
Industrial espionage or sabotage is not a meme
i knew a company dumping hard drives by the wheelbarrow after a big infect, probably dozens of millions damage

why the fuck would they do that

>which will not be used for any client

Thank god I can read.

Yeah, AMD is going to buy back the foundry they got rid of after years of it being a collossal, useless waste of space that they were trying to get out of using themselves. Makes sense.

>mfw i have been saying gloflo intead of glofo for all these years

Attached: 1458592167536.jpg (409x409, 87K)

>ayymd stock was at over $27 (twenty seven!) today
>still is above $25 as of now (+5%)
lul

Only Samsung may buy it at this point, it's a money sink

dumb frogposter

Remember when this spic almost killed AMD to secure $100M+ personal payday from Arab investors who bought AMD's fabs to form Global Foundries?

Attached: Hector Ruiz.jpg (337x440, 59K)

Glofo probably having yield issues for 7nm, on top of worse pricing and performance than TSMC. AMD doesn't need the volume because a fat 7nm Vega probably isn't coming to consumers anytime soon. They are scaling back ambitions and taking what they can from 7nm to improve their offerings to compete with other 12/10nm. Less hope for 7nm chips being affordable for consumers.

inb4 $50 AMD stock

thanks just bought 100k

Abandoning silicon for bleeding edge when?

This desu

That obligation was voided like 2 years ago
techreport.com/news/30600/amd-takes-a-335m-one-time-charge-for-more-sourcing-flexibility

Lisa made 7nm deals with TSMC meanwhile. Problem is TSMC is a monopoly now shit will be expensive

No they don't, read the article, no client are planing to use their 7nm tech so thats why they are quitting it.

They wont. Global foundries will just take a hit for failing to meet obligations but cling to the WSA until they kill AMD like the parasites they are

That doesn't really contradict my statement?
If their process was competitive they would have clients.

>tfw no Samsung ULP Navi

Just wait™
And they said "no it's just Intel that can't reduce nodes"

Amd - another fail again

Attached: 78658765876876.png (125x108, 15K)

Buy TSMC now!

New 7nm iPhones coming in September, thanks to TSMC!

Also, AMD already confirmed 7nm Zen 2 will be using TSMC.

RIP GloFo

Why doesn't AyyMD just make their own stuff instead of relying on these flaky 3rd parties?

Good riddance. AMD will do much better now that they don't have to deal with GF's bullshit.

Did anyone really think that the end of silicon was going to be smooth sailing?

This is the kind of event that turns established industries on their heads and enables upstarts to take over.

Even Intel could fail here, if they make a wrong move.

Because it's not that easy.

What do you think GloFo was?
It was their fabs, and it failed horribly so they had to sell them.

What the FUCK just happened?
I mean, WHY the fuck GloFo is cucking out?
Did fucking dirty Jews bribe them THIS hard!?

Attached: 6ee[1].jpg (491x491, 40K)

>Muh 5GHz IBM technology

TOP fucking kek

Attached: 1527913058712.jpg (600x600, 56K)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR YEAR!

Attached: 1518256744102.png (653x726, 35K)

Nope. Samsung remains a heavy hitter whether you want to face reality or not. Samsung semicon's revenue was 21 billion, out of 60 billion for the electronics group. Which itself is a big client of it's own semiconductor division. Tsmc as a whole pulled in around 29 billion in revenue last year. Samsung is, besides being a strong competitor, is far more insulated from external market forces because the electronics group is itself it's own company. It's like the US core industries vs the EU's. One is inherently more stable, which is a huge strength.

Yeah, why doesn't Nvidia just fab their own chips. Surely Intel being stuck on 14nm+++++++++ is what they all want.

And this is why Intel wins.

(((They))) are delaying technological processes because (((reasons))).

Most people want low power. 7LP was designed by IBM nazis for their mainframes, massive 200w power suckers. It's pretty clear why they dodjt have customers and it's not because the node was bad. I think TSMC said their 7nm will have like a 5% performance improvement over their 14/16nm vs 40% for GF's 14LP->7LP

>IBM

Attached: laughing pistachios.jpg (700x466, 52K)

should I buy AMD stock? it just keeps going up but I don't want to lose money when it suddenly sinks in few weeks or something.

>tick tock tock tock tock tock tock tock tock

Fuckin Intel, I swear

Probably intel has them paid off.

>should I buy AMD stock?
Three years ago. Buy on a huge dip if you really want to buy this late.

So IBM will switch to TSMC as well?

Holy shit, if true. Joust how much you have to shekel out in dirty back-handed paychecks to bribe a fucking GLOBAL SEMICONDUCTOR MAKER!? What the fuck, Inturd. Disgusting. I want to puke, but I'm empty.

>Three years ago.
was a poorfag students with barely few pennies to scrape together for food. became a wagie only few months ago but i was too late for both crypto and stocks. i have lots of money which i don't know what to do with. but the sum is not big enough for investments like land or apartments.
fml.

AMD has a long history of executives and marketing making illogical decisions which intentionally cripple the company just as things are starting to look up.

Furthermore, the last time AMD beat Intel on benchmarks at a lower price, in 2005, Intel literally paid off retailers to stop selling AMD products.
The EU fined them billions, but it's 2018 and Intel still hasn't paid that fine with no repercussions.

There is no risk for Intel, they can just do it again.

Basically be careful.

Attached: 1368033339959.png (215x215, 17K)

Aww!
Oh nevermind.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

Would Samsung's 7nm scale for IBM though?

>here is 1 billion dollar to delay production of 7nm
>we ask for nothing else
>oki doki
>HEADLINES:GF JUMPS SHIP
>THEY ARE FINE WITH 12 nm

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/globalfoundries-gives-up-on-advanced-chip-production-technology

>AMD said it was aware of the change of strategy by Globalfoundries and added that the timing of new chips, to be produced by TSMC, won’t be impacted.

There you have it, folks. Green text straight from the horse's mouth. THIS is why AMD's stock didn't drop jack shit today. AMD knew fully what was going to happen. AMD was well prepared long ahead. AMD is going full TSMC by now. Fuck GloFo.

>Release bad news when it at 10x growth since 2015

Attached: 1518121530732.jpg (1000x1000, 328K)

All according to plan.

Attached: 1533996872399.jpg (1485x1101, 270K)

>AMD has a long history of executives and marketing making illogical decisions which intentionally cripple the company just as things are starting to look up.
let's hope mama Lisa doesn't make this mistake. They legit have a real chance at shoah'ing Intel this time around.

Just you wait until AMD starts going hard with Samsung. Profits through the roof

What's that sweety?

>it's not a technical issue we just can't get EUV to work

They really went with tsmc. I don't samsung is even planning for 7nm in early 2019. Iirc arent they going all in on EUV later in 2019? In theory they could leap ahead of tsmc on this next stage

Samsung is producing 8nm and has 4nm not too far in the pipeline.