*crack*

*crack*
Ah, yes, those were the cables of my days
Master, slave, setting jumpers, so manly
*sips*

Attached: goodcable.png (745x421, 148K)

How bout this smart phone
whats a computer?

Attached: FB_IMG_1535243481953.jpg (720x720, 44K)

Wrong
I was born in 1985 and I always hated those stupid clumsy cables. SATA cables were a bliss.

Attached: 1530220195799.jpg (675x601, 63K)

This nigga right here knows what's up

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who have never used a sata II or older port

Attached: feel baby.jpg (236x213, 8K)

main reason I want to get a ITX machine is the cheap PCIE riser cables look just like these ^_^

I hated the molex connector more. Always ended up with cuts on my hands.

>there are PEOPLE on this board right now!

Were the drives really master and slave though? It was more like primary and secondary.

ahhh the days of splitting those ribbon cables and putting them in spiral wrap to increase airflow to my Voodoo 2 card from 3dfx

Attached: smeggs.jpg (2048x1429, 472K)

Yep born in 86 here and IDE cables were a bitch. Or how about having to daisy chain a bunch of expanders on these for drives and stuff because you couldn't easily replace one of the plugs that went bad so you had to connect to the other one, but then one of the expander ones went bad and you chain another eventually not knowing which of the plugs were actually bad.

>Pickled eggs

Attached: 1534712952297.jpg (250x250, 6K)

One of the worst forced memes in years.

there's one master and one slave per IDE channel
typically there were two IDE channels (unless you have an el-cheapo system). later when SATA appeared, they reduced it to one channel, and now it disappeared altogether

>my point of reference for 'old' tech is sata ii
fucking hell

hmm just ordered one to upgrade my og xbox hdd to 1tb.

Attached: Capture.png (571x133, 5K)

you're one of them reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

way to miss the point zoomer idiot

No one looks back fondly on PATA cables, but nice try.

>crack
>sip

Every day you post this tier forced meme. Fuck off

Yes. The two IDE channels were primary and secondary.
So you had primary master/slave and secondary master/slave.

How?
I keep hearing of these molex cuts, yet never have done it

It's more like when it finally slips off it sends the hand towards something that causes the cut.

Those stupid fuck cables never had the correct size, or proportion of the two parts to reach the drives. And then you got another couple of drives and shit was a fucking mess.

Get mental help.

>master slave
Excuse me, this is 2018

Attached: 234502832673.png (1076x2357, 397K)

Shit dat muhfucka be trippin, punk ass nigga.

I member this. Fuck people.

Attached: 5756456456461.jpg (852x695, 77K)

>leader

Attached: hitler_nazi.png (806x436, 414K)

jesus christ

Attached: 9234062734062346.jpg (500x500, 24K)

IDE cables were so satisfying to un/plug

Molex invented all of the connectors that you see, kid

Attached: microfit.gif (625x293, 125K)

>leader/follower
This proves SJWism is a cult.

see.. even those were too fast.. you're dealing with ATA 66 cables.. back in my day, we used ATA 33 cables.. and we liked it..

Attached: Computer-Cable-NYC-2001-ATA-33-.jpg (300x225, 7K)

I literally spent 5 minutes laughing at this one image

Living in America with so much land and not raising your own chickens to get at least 2x the nutrients you normally get from caged chicken eggs.

Bloody kiddies never dealt with parallel SCSI.....

I tried it once, but gave up after i read about muh required terminators

I ate those once and shat blood.
Tasted pretty good though

Not really, "master" implies that it controls the slave drive, but that was not the case. The master drive just had priority over the slave drive when it came to data transfer. The "master" never directly controlled the "slave" at all so it was all a misnomer.

>Ah, yes, those were the cables of my days
Folding IDE cables was satisfying as fuck. Not really a retro thing since it wast totally influenced by voodoo computers and their famous cablemanagement before "cablemanagement" became a thing.

>Living in America with so much land
you'll be surprised, but there's so much land almost everywhere, it's just an optical illusion of fake "overpopulation" because most people were forced to live in artificially inflated megalopoli, whereas in reality 90% of the countryside is abandoned and dying, there's A LOT of much-needed work, it's just not regarded as "work" by today's economic propaganda

I loved how I always had to find a place to grip and/or wiggle to get them fully in/out. I usually just pulled the cable, fuck it. They always survived, but even if they didn't I wouldn't even mind having to get a new one to avoid the hassle. Even the newer ones that got a little grip handle over the connector were still a pain to handle.
Worse even were some motherboards that had the connectors in the most obnoxious places, so you'd have to twist and turn the cable, and sometimes remove cards, just to reach the IDE connectors.
Good times indeed.

Attached: 1527515218798.jpg (600x430, 31K)

Said literally no one, ever. IDE was fucking garbage. If you used anything but SCSI prior to SATA you were a fucking pleb.

This fuck ide cables fucking garbage I remember they made the big circler ones towards the end.

fuck both. Molex connectors are just demons because sometimes they would fuck up and you'll end up shorting something.

You forgot the specially sharpened bits of case metal that were always there to draw blood.

Lies. Big SCSI drives were always expensive. It was totally normal to use SCSI for OS and IDE for data in workstations.

Literally nobody except video/audio producers and heavy server admins cared about scsi, and perhaps a few dipshits that just want to brag. Yeah it was great, but not worth the money for anyone doing regular stuff with their computer.

>when you haven't said anything about windows xp for 2 minutes

Attached: 153503591364653455739.jpg (250x229, 28K)

Every time I build a computer these days I have to remind myself that jumpers aren't needed anymore.

And they all suck. They only Molex connector worth using is KK.

SATA cables are the way to go. Future is now old man

Attached: zoomer.gif (652x562, 626K)

molex is the jamal of connectors.

it was shit

Attached: wq.jpg (460x650, 110K)

thats strange, i usually refer to these as nigger and plantation owner cables. its going to be hard to adjust to this change

>SATA
Already deprecated.

I remember a thread where someone thought that client/server was supposed to replace master/slave. But they're completely distinct relationships/architectures. You can't replace master/slave with something like leader/follower because those are also different relationships. Master/slave is intrinsic to the design philosophy and actual practical function of programs built around it. There are no other words that have the same meaning and relationship as a master and slave, so you'll either water down the concept with silly euphemisms like boss/worker, or be forced to redesign your program if you can't use the term.

*crack*
Ah, floppy disks...
I could fit so MANY text files on one of those bad boys.
*sip*

Attached: 1535467987123.jpg (2448x3264, 1.73M)

actually master/slave has no relation to the way ATA drive controllers handle disks. The master drive has no control over the slave, both are under control of the drive controller independently. The only thing the master and slave settings do is change the ordering of drives, but the terminology is neither specified in the ATA standard, which simply refers to the disks by number, nor is it relevant to the function of the system.

This is Based! I miss dip switches. And jumpers.

If that's the case, then I'd be for dropping the misnomer altogether.

Except it's not possible to run the slave drive alone.

y'all ever just violently rip these fuckers out of a machine? oof now that feels good